Forums/Armchair-GM

Sean Walker

Created by: OldNYIfan
Team: 2022-23 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2022
Published: Jul. 26, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Montreal could use a veteran RD with a reasonable cap hit.

I think that the Canadiens will move one of Hoffman or Drouin this summer, especially if Carey Price isn't going to be on the LTIR list. Here I've randomly assumed it will be Hoffman.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,750,000
Trades
LAK
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Pick becomes Montreal's 2023 second if Walker plays in at least 42 games in 2022-2023
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$82,500,000$77,026,666$1,132,500$5,070,000$5,473,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 8
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C, RW
RFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$2,650,000$2,650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$507,500$508K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 26, 2022 at 4:58 p.m.
Walker might become expendable later in the season, but the Kings need him on the roster to start the year. He's most likely going to be playing on the left side on a pairing with Matt Roy.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 4:58 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
I'd probably take it without the condition. The second could be top 35 and the condition is easily met. I don't think Walker is that much of an improvement over Wideman to give up a top 35 pick.
GoHabsGo99 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 6:58 p.m.
id rather watch Xavier Ouellete play than give up a likely top 36 pick
Jul. 26, 2022 at 7:38 p.m.
Iglesias
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Walker might become expendable later in the season, but the Kings need him on the roster to start the year. He's most likely going to be playing on the left side on a pairing with Matt Roy.

The Kings do not need Sean Walker. Anderson, Bjornfot, Edler and Moverare are on the left and they could use his capspace to bring in another if they need. If a team offered a third or 2nd round pick you have to accept. Hes probably not even worth that.
They made the playoffs without him and do not need him. You like to overrate mediocre Kings players as untouchables for no reason.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 7:47 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Enrique
The Kings do not need Sean Walker. Anderson, Bjornfot, Edler and Moverare are on the left and they could use his capspace to bring in another if they need. If a team offered a third or 2nd round pick you have to accept. Hes probably not even worth that.
They made the playoffs without him and do not need him. You like to overrate mediocre Kings players as untouchables for no reason.

My thinking here was strongly colored by the fact that Moverare is NOT waivers-exempt. With Walker on the team, then that essentially forces Bjornfot down to Ontario or else risks having to send Moverare through waivers to do so.
Enrique liked this.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 8:07 p.m.

Quoting: OldNYIfan
My thinking here was strongly colored by the fact that Moverare is NOT waivers-exempt. With Walker on the team, then that essentially forces Bjornfot down to Ontario or else risks having to send Moverare through waivers to do so.

Moverare is a fringe NHL defenseman. I think a lot of people overestimate the value of their players on pre-season waivers. 6 weeks into the season, when teams are dealing with injuries and underperformers, yes Moverare might have some takers. During training camp when every team in the league is trying to slim their rosters down to 23 players, not so much.

Kale Clague is a prime example. He had significantly higher value than Moverare, and he cleared waivers during training camp last Fall before getting claimed by Montreal 2 months later.

The Kings will have Anderson, Walker, and Edler on the left side on opening night, and Bjornfot will practice with the team and will swap in and out of the lineup with Edler to get some play time here and there. Moverare will clear waivers and start the season in Ontario, but will be the first recall in the event of an injury to one of the Kings' LHD.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 8:11 p.m.
Iglesias
Moverare is a fringe NHL defenseman. I think a lot of people overestimate the value of their players on pre-season waivers. 6 weeks into the season, when teams are dealing with injuries and underperformers, yes Moverare might have some takers. During training camp when every team in the league is trying to slim their rosters down to 23 players, not so much.

Kale Clague is a prime example. He had significantly higher value than Moverare, and he cleared waivers during training camp last Fall before getting claimed by Montreal 2 months later.

The Kings will have Anderson, Walker, and Edler on the left side on opening night, and Bjornfot will practice with the team and will swap in and out of the lineup with Edler to get some play time here and there. Moverare will clear waivers and start the season in Ontario, but will be the first recall in the event of an injury to one of the Kings' LHD.

Yea this is the likely scenario. But if someone offered a second or third for Walker they would take it. Nobody will offer it though.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 8:15 p.m.

Yea this is the likely scenario. But if someone offered a second or third for Walker they would take it. Nobody will offer it though.

I don't know why people think that Walker is this terrible defenseman. I'll remind you of the consensus on his extension when it was signed.

Los Angeles Kings signed Sean Walker (4 Years / $2,650,000 AAV)

Then he gets injured and I guess people seem to think that he forgot how to play hockey during his recovery? Sean Walker is a quality two-way defenseman. He's certainly better than Moverare, and is better than Bjornfot at this stage of his development.

A 2nd round pick for Sean Walker is an underpayment.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 8:40 p.m.
Iglesias
I don't know why people think that Walker is this terrible defenseman. I'll remind you of the consensus on his extension when it was signed.

Los Angeles Kings signed Sean Walker (4 Years / $2,650,000 AAV)

Then he gets injured and I guess people seem to think that he forgot how to play hockey during his recovery? Sean Walker is a quality two-way defenseman. He's certainly better than Moverare, and is better than Bjornfot at this stage of his development.

A 2nd round pick for Sean Walker is an underpayment.

I dont hate Walker. I think hes good. Hes missed a lot of time over the last two seasons. He doesnt have much value and he may lose a step after this last injury.
They won nothing with him in the lineup and were a bottom feeder. They made the playoffs without him. Hes not an integral part of the team and if you need his capspace for an upgrade its not going to hurt all that much losing him.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 9:52 p.m.
I dont hate Walker. I think hes good. Hes missed a lot of time over the last two seasons. He doesnt have much value and he may lose a step after this last injury.
They won nothing with him in the lineup and were a bottom feeder. They made the playoffs without him. Hes not an integral part of the team and if you need his capspace for an upgrade its not going to hurt all that much losing him.

It's disingenuous to suggest that Walker is the reason why the Kings didn't do well for the last few seasons. The Kings were at the depth of their rebuild. Walker played well for them when there weren't other quality players on the team. The Kings were bad with Doughty over the last three years. They made the playoffs this year without him. It must have been Doughty's fault that they were so bad, right? Trade the bum.

I'm sure Walker will eventually be a cap casualty, but that doesn't mean they should sell low on him. He's a quality 2nd pairing defenseman that plays the most elusive and coveted position on the ice (RHD). He's not going to be traded away for scraps.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
Iglesias
It's disingenuous to suggest that Walker is the reason why the Kings didn't do well for the last few seasons. The Kings were at the depth of their rebuild. Walker played well for them when there weren't other quality players on the team. The Kings were bad with Doughty over the last three years. They made the playoffs this year without him. It must have been Doughty's fault that they were so bad, right? Trade the bum.

I'm sure Walker will eventually be a cap casualty, but that doesn't mean they should sell low on him. He's a quality 2nd pairing defenseman that plays the most elusive and coveted position on the ice (RHD). He's not going to be traded away for scraps.

A second or third isnt scraps. Plenty of good players in those rounds.
And yea sure if someone made a good offer for Doughty trade him too. Roy Durzi Spence Clarke Grans is still damned good. If you can get a top line right winger for Doughty or a top goalie prospect in a deal Im all for it.
Was their record last year better when he wasnt in the lineup?
Jul. 26, 2022 at 10:38 p.m.
A second or third isnt scraps. Plenty of good players in those rounds.
And yea sure if someone made a good offer for Doughty trade him too. Roy Durzi Spence Clarke Grans is still damned good. If you can get a top line right winger for Doughty or a top goalie prospect in a deal Im all for it.
Was their record last year better when he wasnt in the lineup?

The Kings added a lot of quality players to the lineup this season, most notably Danault (team MVP) and Arvidsson. Their ragtag defense is arguably the reason why they lost to Edmonton in 7 games instead of to Calgary or Colorado in the playoffs. Bjornfot struggled to keep up with McDavid during the series and was benched because of it. Walker's skating is his strength, and he would have been one of the only defensemen on the Kings capable of keeping up with him.

For a quality right-handed defenseman, a 2nd or 3rd is absolutely scraps. If a player like Chiarot can return a 1st as a rental, Walker can return a late first, or at least two 2nds, considering he has two years left on his deal at a team-friendly cap hit. Trading him now would be selling low due to the uncertainty surrounding his injury, similar to if St. Louis had traded Tarasenko for a 2nd last summer.

Let him play the season and show that he's still the same defenseman he was before he got injured. Then trade him for a quality return next summer if you still need the cap space.
Enrique liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:46 a.m.
Iglesias
The Kings added a lot of quality players to the lineup this season, most notably Danault (team MVP) and Arvidsson. Their ragtag defense is arguably the reason why they lost to Edmonton in 7 games instead of to Calgary or Colorado in the playoffs. Bjornfot struggled to keep up with McDavid during the series and was benched because of it. Walker's skating is his strength, and he would have been one of the only defensemen on the Kings capable of keeping up with him.

For a quality right-handed defenseman, a 2nd or 3rd is absolutely scraps. If a player like Chiarot can return a 1st as a rental, Walker can return a late first, or at least two 2nds, considering he has two years left on his deal at a team-friendly cap hit. Trading him now would be selling low due to the uncertainty surrounding his injury, similar to if St. Louis had traded Tarasenko for a 2nd last summer.

Let him play the season and show that he's still the same defenseman he was before he got injured. Then trade him for a quality return next summer if you still need the cap space.

Yea agree for the most part. I love Bjornfot but he was really bad after his injury. I think he rushed back too early. Also game 7 the offense got shutout and looked probably worse than the defense. The ragtag defense dragged them into the playoffs and into game 7 where they only gave up 1! The second goal the entire team just gave up on the play. Mostly Durzi. But a very bizarre play.
If Walker can play well on the left and stay healthy there would be no reason to trade him really. Kirsanov may be up next as Walkers contract ends.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll