Forums/Armchair-GM

Predictions- Calgary Flames

Created by: Z0ra
Team: 2022-23 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 27, 2022
Published: Aug. 27, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Now we have the busiest team in the offseason- the Calgary Flames.

I have Calgary finishing 3rd in the Pacific. Despite them losing Tkachuk and Gaudreau, I still think Calgary can succeed this season. They will be slightly worse, but still decent enough to make the playoffs. I think Kadri can replace Gaudreau and Huberdeau can replace Tkachuk perfectly. Pelletier appears to be ready for NHL duties, meaning Mangiapane and Lindholm will have to build upon their outstanding season last year. A full season of Toffoli can benefit Calgary well, and the defense is actually better than last year. Adding in Weeger gives Calgary a solid special teams option. Markstrom should be able to repeat his Vezina-caliber success this year, and Vladar is a solid backup. Overall, this Flames team may look different, but they still look promising.

As for young talent, with Weeger on the team, Valimaki is now expendable. He needs a fresh start so a trade for a high pick could benefit well. Like said before, Pelletier appears ready for the NHL, especially with Monahan gone. If the Flames want to be in win-now mode, Pelletier should stay in the NHL for the full season. He won't put up the same production as Monahan this season, but he definitely could next season. Also I don't have him here, but if Markstrom or Vladar get injured, Wolf should get an opportunity. His stats in the AHL last year were insane. Now he just needs to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. Also Zary should get nine NHL games this year, then he will get replaced by Rooney if he doesn't play up to par. If he does, Calgary should trade Lucic's contract, then he will get replaced by Rooney.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$72,014,166$0$200,000$10,485,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$5,900,000$5,900,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 3
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,550,000$1,550,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 27, 2022 at 3:08 p.m.
3rd in the Pacific? Other than EDM who finishes ahead of them?

VGK just lost Max Pacioretty, Evgenii Dadonov, Matttias Jandmark and Dylan Coghlan for literally no return. Now Lehner is out for most of the year with an injury and their G tandem is currently Logan Thompson and Michael Hutchinson. And this is a team that missed playoffs last year. Hard for me to see them being better than CGY this year.

Zary isn't making the NHL this year. He needs at least one full, healthy year of the AHL before the's an option. You could slot Ruzicka in there instead probably (maybe even for a little less money). But Rooney wasn't paid $1.3M (oops) to be a healthy scratch, so he'll get every chance he can get to be that 4C.

Don't think Valimaki sticks around either if he can't grab a top6 spot, which seems unlikely. Too much money to be having him as your 7th (or in the AHL) and he needs to play, but is no longer waiver exempt and has a $1.8(ish) QO coming up after the season. I think he's gone.
KingofRnR liked this.
Aug. 27, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
chibrikov is a steal
Quoting: TheSummerofGeorge

VGK just lost Max Pacioretty, Evgenii Dadonov, Matttias Jandmark and Dylan Coghlan for literally no return. Now Lehner is out for most of the year with an injury and their G tandem is currently Logan Thompson and Michael Hutchinson. And this is a team that missed playoffs last year. Hard for me to see them being better than CGY this year.

Zary isn't making the NHL this year. He needs at least one full, healthy year of the AHL before the's an option. You could slot Ruzicka in there instead probably (maybe even for a little less money). But Rooney wasn't paid $1.3M (oops) to be a healthy scratch, so he'll get every chance he can get to be that 4C.

Don't think Valimaki sticks around either if he can't grab a top6 spot, which seems unlikely. Too much money to be having him as your 7th (or in the AHL) and he needs to play, but is no longer waiver exempt and has a $1.8(ish) QO coming up after the season. I think he's gone.

Hot take here, but LA is actually one point ahead of Calgary. The Flames could easily get 2nd.
Aug. 27, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
NoQuitInNewYork
Quoting: christianyog
Hot take here, but LA is actually one point ahead of Calgary. The Flames could easily get 2nd.

Agreed, I also have the Kings finishing 2nd.
Aug. 27, 2022 at 7:27 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: TheSummerofGeorge

Quoting: christianyog

Quoting: Scooter81
Agreed, I also have the Kings finishing 2nd.

CGY will be even better than last year and I believe there's another 1-2 Big moves and a couple signings still to come

Huberdeau replaces and is > Gaudreau, while Magiapane and/or Toffoli will attempt to replace Tkachuk's Scoring. Kadri is the 2C we desperately needed. If we can add another Top-6 RW or Playmaker, that would be ideal, otherwise Dube is ready for a Breakout Season and being their 2nd Season with the Flames: Coleman, Toffoli, Zadorov, Kylington, Ruzicka & Vladar will all play even better than last season. Rooney was brought in to be 4LW/C and to Kill Penalties, so he should be in the lineup

I see Lucic, Kylington and/or Hanifin being moved for another Top Player and I'd like to see Valimaki moved for another Bottom-6 piece of a Waivers Exempt Prospect (like Joe Veleno or Nils Lundkvist) rather than a Pick which won't help the Flames other than clearing up some Cap Space. Pelletier will be brought up but mainly as injury coverage, unless he impresses in which case he might stick, especially if he becomes the Playmaker I was talking about needing

Low Cost (= League Minimum - $1mil/yr MAX) Free Agents's I'd still consider signing or offering PTO's too are C/W's *Victor Rask, Tyler Motte, Zach Aston-Reese, *Carter Rowney or Sam Gagner, RW *Jake Virtanen or LW/RW Evgeny Svechnikov, LD Ryan Murray & RD's *Anton Stralman and *Michael Stone

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Toffoli-Kadri-Dube
(V.Rask/Svechnikov)-Backlund-Coleman
(Rooney/Aston-Reese)-Ruzicka-Virtanen
Scratches: (Aston-Reese/T.Motte)-(T.Lewis/C.Rowney/S.Gagner)
Minors:
Pelletier-J.Veleno-M.Phillips
Kerins-Zary-Schwindt
Prospisal-B.Jones-Duehr
C.Bishop-Emilio-Petterson-Klapka

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Kylington-Tanev
Scratch: Stralman
Minors:
C.Mackey-M.Stone
R.Murray-N.Lundkvist