SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

2022-2023 Season Thread #1

Feb. 8, 2023 at 4:51 p.m.
Of course, the Pens have the easiest schedule ahead....

Out of the "wild card" teams, the Buffalo have the hardest (5th hardest in league). Caps have the second (9th hardest in league). Isles (10th hardest in league)

https://www.tankathon.com/nhl/remaining_schedule_strength
Feb. 8, 2023 at 6:16 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: perrystreett
What would you guys think of adding Anthony Duclair?

No idea what his cost would be.

Imo wouldn’t he be like vrana was, I like the player tho. Two seconds?
Feb. 9, 2023 at 1:34 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Let’s say good bye to our playoff stop.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: capsfan2121
Let’s say good bye to our playoff stop.

Nah Tarasenko to NYR isn't addressing any real needs for them

and Pens+Isles+Panthers are still MID
Feb. 9, 2023 at 1:37 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: NoVaSpartan

I randomly said this before I say what db just made. But there are three teams that are knocking on the door rn and we have like 3 games in hand
Feb. 9, 2023 at 1:38 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

They needed a right winger bad
Feb. 9, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
I randomly said this before I say what db just made. But there are three teams that are knocking on the door rn and we have like 3 games in hand

Yeah but they are all also worse. Pens on a bit of a slide, Florida has zero help in net, Buffalo is unproven + facing injuries, Isles only have two decent offensive players. Washington has a far stronger team than all four of them.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 1:41 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Yeah but they are all also worse. Pens on a bit of a slide, Florida has zero help in net, Buffalo is unproven + facing injuries, Isles only have two decent offensive players. Washington has a far stronger team than all four of them.

Last Jan proved that even with all the talent we still can’t get anywhere.
perrystreett liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Last Jan proved that even with all the talent we still can’t get anywhere.

Last Jan still had players dealing with injuries and the Caps won nearly every game they needed too. Colorado and Pittsburgh were the only realistic games the Caps probably should have won. There's no need for panic moves right now, especially ones that don't concern the main issue (defense).
Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

The Super Bowl parade is back on, gents.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:37 p.m.
Always have 2018

A little misleading, he skated before practice and kept checking in with the trainers and is not on ice for practice.
All_Knowing liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
Always have 2018
Who is ready for us to make minimal moves and miss the loffs or lose in 5?
Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:39 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
A little misleading, he skated before practice and kept checking in with the trainers and is not on ice for practice.

damn it, now I need to call the caterers to tell them to cancel the parade
perrystreett liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:40 p.m.
Edited Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
They needed a right winger bad

Vlad going to NYR is a surprise honestly - but looks like they gave up Blais, a 1st, a 4th (that turns into a 3rd if/when Rangers make playoffs), and maybe another prospect (?). They also got Mikkola, who is a cheap 3rd line D (which they needed as well). Honestly, pretty even imo...I think Blues could have got a touch more, but still. NYR is 6 points up with I think 2-3 games in hand...

Regarding Caps - Wilson did skate, but apparently left almost immediately and walked by Tarik with a "noticeable limp". No sign of Dowd frown. Sorry to be bringing negative energy here lol

Easier said than done, but Caps leaders really need to come out ready to go. Starts with Ovi (per usual). But Kuzy, Keumper, Osh, Backy - they all need to come out with determination to win if they want to make the playoffs.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
Who is ready for us to make minimal moves and miss the loffs or lose in 5?

The good (I guess?) thing is that out of all of the possible outcomes for this year that is the least likely imo. I think its notable that Milano and Strome (who probably wouldn't have gotten much on the open market) were resigned over the break but Orlov, Jensen, Sheary, TVR weren't. I think BMac gives the team two weeks to figure things out and if they haven't, he'll start selling off.
perrystreett liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:06 p.m.
Quoting: qc14
The good (I guess?) thing is that out of all of the possible outcomes for this year that is the least likely imo. I think its notable that Milano and Strome (who probably wouldn't have gotten much on the open market) were resigned over the break but Orlov, Jensen, Sheary, TVR weren't. I think BMac gives the team two weeks to figure things out and if they haven't, he'll start selling off.

Ehhh I kinda disagree on this...I don't think BMac starts to sell UNLESS the team really really sinks. I think if the team has not figured things out but remains in the hunt for a playoff spot, BMac does something similar to last year (and similar to 2018). A depth defender (like Stecher or something) and/or maybe a middle 6 forward.

I just don't see selling in the near-future at this point, although honestly, I wouldn't HATE it. Orlov and Jensen would both get very good returns.

This is a hot take, but UNLESS the Caps can get a non-rental top 6 forward, I would be okay with the Caps going after smaller moves, such as 1) a depth defender (like a Troy Stecher - reminds me of the Kempny pickup in 2018) and maybe b) a Ivan Barbashev type player (a middle 6 guy) for ~2nd & 3rd round picks. I seriously think this team can go on a run. I guess I am being optimistic and bias, but this team is built for the playoffs. Veteran, solid goaltending, good depth, physical (especially with a healthy Wilson hopefully), and they have the "star" power (not currently playing up to the potential, but easily could go on a run).
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
Quoting: All_Knowing
Ehhh I kinda disagree on this...I don't think BMac starts to sell UNLESS the team really really sinks. I think if the team has not figured things out but remains in the hunt for a playoff spot, BMac does something similar to last year (and similar to 2018). A depth defender (like Stecher or something) and/or maybe a middle 6 forward.

I just don't see selling in the near-future at this point, although honestly, I wouldn't HATE it. Orlov and Jensen would both get very good returns.

This is a hot take, but UNLESS the Caps can get a non-rental top 6 forward, I would be okay with the Caps going after smaller moves, such as 1) a depth defender (like a Troy Stecher - reminds me of the Kempny pickup in 2018) and maybe b) a Ivan Barbashev type player (a middle 6 guy) for ~2nd & 3rd round picks. I seriously think this team can go on a run. I guess I am being optimistic and bias, but this team is built for the playoffs. Veteran, solid goaltending, good depth, physical (especially with a healthy Wilson hopefully), and they have the "star" power (not currently playing up to the potential, but easily could go on a run).

I agree that if they manage to make it in, with some lesser pickups, they can at the least provide a good fight against boston or carolina, much like they did last year where they totally should have won against the panthers. That said, I think everything about the team's roster construction has built up to this year being either a sell or go all in year. Everyone except Carlson (and I guess you could say Fehervary) on D is out of contract, Wilson is about to be expiring, Eller up, Mantha one year left and could be moved, Oshie seemingly could retire. Because of that, selling this year is in no terms the same as giving up for next year or the rest of Ovi's contract, and in fact might be the best way to make sure they are somewhat competitive during that time.
All_Knowing liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:37 p.m.
Only other thing I would add is that Mac is about as straight a shooter among NHL GMs as there is. If he says he's looking for help on defense, he will get help on defense. If he says he's not happy with the direction of the team, he's not happy about the direction of the team and will do something about it. I would be paying super close attention to Tarik (RIP Sam Pell) these next couple of weeks ...
All_Knowing liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:40 p.m.
We should bring back the Debrincat Strome duo. Wouldn’t care about the price

Quoting: qc14
reading into the tea leaves a bit I think that 1) Mantha is gone 2) Oshie is gone and 3) At least one of McMike/Lapierre is gone this summer. Those would all line up very nicely for DeBrincat, and I would be all in on getting him or Meier

Seravalli stated that DeBrincat next contract could be between $8-$9mil (his QQ is $9mil) and the return for him would certainly be less than what the Hawks received last summer...

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/would_the_ottawa_senators_consider_trading_alex_debrincat/s1_16958_38449784

DeBrincat would be someone I'd give up pretty much any prospect(s) / pick(s) for...wishful thinking I think, as I agree with qc that this season seems to be planned with all the expiring contract (sell or go all-in)
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:53 p.m.
Quoting: All_Knowing
Seravalli stated that DeBrincat next contract could be between $8-$9mil (his QQ is $9mil) and the return for him would certainly be less than what the Hawks received last summer...

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/would_the_ottawa_senators_consider_trading_alex_debrincat/s1_16958_38449784

DeBrincat would be someone I'd give up pretty much any prospect(s) / pick(s) for...wishful thinking I think, as I agree with qc that this season seems to be planned with all the expiring contract (sell or go all-in)

Yea if I was GM I would be going all in on Meier or DeBrincat -- whichever one would be cheaper to get. There will be plenty of time for this team to be truly bad when Ovi retires, go all in while the 4th best player in NHL history is still here
All_Knowing liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 12:12 p.m.
No Dowd or Wilson at practice today. Both unlikely to play on Saturday
Feb. 10, 2023 at 12:29 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
If I see another dadonov to wash trade I’m going to lose it
Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
NAK on first line, Mantha on 4th line

Laviolette masterclass
Feb. 10, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
You know if the devils get Meier, we 100% need to go after Debrincat not not care about price.
perrystreett and All_Knowing liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
Always have 2018
You know if the devils get Meier, we 100% need to go after Debrincat not not care about price.

For sure. He would be awesome to have, I would play him with ovi and strome.

This is my wish list:

1. Timo Meier
2. Debrincat
3. Patty Kane (I know everyone says he sucks and his analytics this season are awful but he put up 92 points last year and if he got to play with Ovi and Strome hed be real good. This is assuming hes not that expensive to acquire and his hip is fine)
capsfan2121 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll