SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Pinpoint Mock Drafting

Pinpoint Mock Drafting

Draft Class: 2017
Created By: pinpoint
Published: May 25, 2017 at 7:32 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New Jersey Devils-The Devils take Nolan Patrick. While there has been some debate considering Hischier has made a strong push this season, Patrick posses the size and skill that all GM's desire. The Devils avoid all the regret and remorse that could haunt them for years after this draft by taking the safer pick in Patrick.
2Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Hischier consequently falls to number two, where the Flyers will be happy regardless after making such a large jump up the draft board. Hischier is a dynamic player, but none the less is still considered in my opinion a boom or bust pick. He will be the highest Swiss born player ever taken, and the NHL has yet to see a true Swiss born player dominate the league. The Flyers will be betting that his game will translate at the NHL level. While I am a big Hischer fan, I remain cautiously optimistic.
3Logo of the Dallas Stars-The Stars pick is an interesting one. The team could use both a potential elite level forward or defenseman. My guess, like many other mock drafters will be Miro Heiskanenm the defenseman. While Vilardi, Tippett, or a personal favorite Mittelstadt are all available, the Stars pass in hopes their current stable of forwards rebound next season.
4Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado, here, takes a pure goal scoring/shooting winger in Own Tippett. The Av's have the center position theoretically shored up with MacKinnion likely staying and Jost a recent draft pick the organization is very high on. Tippet will have a chance to slot in on the top six, providing the Av's with a promising legitimate scoring threat. While some have the Av's taking a defenseman, look for the Av's to address this position through a trade involving either Duchene or Landeskog.
5Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-While Vancouver like many of the teams near the top of this draft have a lot of needs, and the organization and fan base will be sour for a long time after losing bad in the draft lottery, the team has a interesting choice here at five. I believe the best pick for the organization here will be Mittelstadt. I truly believe this kid is the real deal and will be cornerstone for any franchise that selects him. While Valardi has intangible captain like qualities and could very well be the selection here, I am personally to sold on Mittelstadt to pass on him here.
6Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Again, Vegas has a tough choice. While I personally think Vilardi would be the ideal selection to lead this young Vegas team in the future, there is to many connections between Cody Glass and management for Vegas. Glass still comes with great upside and in my mind a potential Mark Schiffile like translation to the NHL
7Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-The Coyotes here take Vilardi on the simple fact that he posses to much upside and has the intangible traits that the team will lack when they inevitably lose Shane Doan.
8Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Buffalo is another team that is had to predict whether they go forward or defense. However, Buffalo opts for defense and goes for a some what safer pick in Cale Maker, as opposed to Liljegren, considering his slide down draft boards this year. While many make a comparison of Liljegren to Chychrun, and while I agree with the comparison. I believe Buffalo has taken chances on many prospects before, think Grigerenko, and for this reason selects Maker here.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit takes a chance on Liljegren, and knowing what we know about Detroit and there innate ability to not only draft but develop prospects, Liljegren makes the most sense here, for both himself and the franchise.
10Logo of the Florida Panthers-Florida has had good luck taking players from over sea's and here continue their trend and go somewhat off the board with Vesalinen. He has size and the offensive ability to slot in on Florida's top six in a year and could be a perfect compliment to Barkov.
11Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-LA will be an enigma with at the draft predominately because of their recent changing of the guard in the front office. Carter is not getting any younger and leading me to believe they will select a big strong center, like Rasmussen that will allow them to keep pace in a generally bigger and tougher pacific division and western conference.
12Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Carolina makes a logical pick that will compliment their bevy of international forwards with their selection of a player that could blossom into one of the best in this draft class in Elias Pettersson.
13Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Again, Winnipeg will take a player that also has the potential to become one of the best in the draft and may be a steal at 13 in Eeli Tolvanen. He has an absolute wicked shot and also hails from the same country as their current star and latest draft pick Patrik Laine. It seems like a match made in heaven. If they do not take Tolvanen here, look for them to consider skilled forward Martain Necas or a large defensive defenseman like Hague or Valimaki.
14Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-The Lightning make a positional selection in Valimaki. Although at this point it is a toss up between who will develop into the better of the three top defenseman still remaining in Valimaki, Foote, or Hague.
15Logo of the New York Islanders-The Islanders select Martin Necas, a skilled forward who in my opinion has been overrated in recent draft boards. Although here, the Islanders would seemingly be getting good value selecting Necas at this spot and could help their forward core, and also give Tavares another weapon and another reason to stay on the Island.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-Calgary has a good forward group that is not in need of an immediate upgrade. However, with Giridano not eating any older look to Calgary to upgrade the blue line and who better than to take a big strong Canadian boy in Adam Foote's son, Cal.
17Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-The Leafs go off the board a bit, but take a chance on a player that could run the PP from the back end for years to come. The Leafs have accumulated so many talented forwards that taking a risk on a guy like Brannstrome here makes sense.
18Logo of the Boston Bruins-Much in the mold as Patrice Bergeron, Nick Suzuki who actually wears the same number as Bergeron is Boston's pick. Nick plays a 200 foot game and has developed an offensive touch over this last year. Suzuki has been projected to go much earlier, however while I believe Suzuki can be successful at the NHL level, I feel he lacks the superstar quality of any one particular trait.
19Logo of the San Jose Sharks-The Sharks are hard to pick for because they are my favorite team. However, many of the players that I would like the team to acquire are off the board at this point. The sharks need to keep moving in the direction of getting faster, and they need more elite level skill up front. While the center position will be a concern moving forward given the likely departure of Marleau and Thornton either now or in a year or so, the team should take a risk of a player who has tons of potential rather than making a safe pick. For that reason, I would like to see Kailer Yamamoto taken here by SJ, however knowing the sharks and watching their director of scouting Tim Burke blow pick after pick every year, look for the sharks to select a player such as Kole Lind, Lias Andersson, Robert Thomas etc. While these players are not necessary bad picks by any stretch. I believe they are safe picks, with less upside than a player such as Yamamoto. If the sharks do pass on Yamamoto if available, I would be just as happy with a big winger or center such as Kostin, Popugayev, or Ratcliffe.
20Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Blues take a player that can skate with Tarasenko and can be kept happy enough to not run to the KHL.
21Logo of the New York Rangers-NY needs to add size and goal scoring ability given the decline of Rick Nash, I could see the blue shirts making a play for a guy such as Popugayev.
22Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-Here the Oilers take another defenseman, one with upside and size to add to the blue line.
23Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Minnesota WildHere, Arizona adds to the blue line after already scoring a top line center in Vilardi. The totes get Connor Timmons, who looks like a flat out man among boys in his stature.
24Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-The Blue Jackets had a great season and will be looking to add a center that can play in all 3 zones and reduce the impact still left by the departure of Ryan Johanson. Bowers has been tabbed as a player that can be a impact center for a team down the road having the all the qualities teams desire from a strong center.
25Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-This one is almost to easy given the name of this player and the team that will likely end up selecting him.
26Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Chicago gets a responsible player that they can likely develop into a impact player considering he will be playing with guys such as Kane and Toews. Linds game was not on full display at the prospects game however he the ability in my mind to be an effective 3rd line player on a championship team.
27Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Washington CapitalsThe Blue best a player that on my board is the biggest slider. I just do not see the upside in Lias Andersson. He does not have the size and while he does have the ability to play hockey at a high level, players such as Andersson just have not projected well at the NHL level. While he is likely to be picked in the Mid-First round, he will ultimately disappoint his host team.
28Logo of the Ottawa Senators-The Senators will need a goalie in the future and while they may address that need via free agency or trade, I could see Oettinger or Scott being taken as the first and only goalie of the first round.
29Logo of the Dallas StarsLogo of the Anaheim DucksDallas here slides in and take another small slider on my draft board and takes Ryan Poehling. A player that after a couple years of development could help replace the likes of Spezza on Dallas's second line.
30Logo of the Nashville Predators-Nashville takes a big center that will add to their ability to match up against big strong western conference teams. There is no need for defense and Nashville lands a player that I believe will be a late round steal for any team that selects him.
31Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Pittsburg gets a player with mobility and potential at the last pick in the first round, also with a name that will be fun to say.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
32Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
33Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
34Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
35Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
36Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
37Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
38Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
39Logo of the Dallas Stars-
40Logo of the Florida Panthers-
41Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
42Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
43Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
44Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
45Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
46Logo of the New York Islanders-
47Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Calgary Flames
48Logo of the Tampa Bay LightningLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
49Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Boston Bruins
50Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the San Jose Sharks
51Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
52Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the New York Rangers
53Logo of the Boston BruinsLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
54Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Minnesota Wild
55Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
56Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
57Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
58Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Washington Capitals
59Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Ottawa Senators
60Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
61Logo of the Nashville Predators-
62Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
May 25, 2017 at 8:08 p.m.
Actually loved it although I'd like to see Ottawa take PO-Joseph and trade up to pick a goalie.
May 25, 2017 at 8:54 p.m.
Thanks a lot. Most of my commentary is very rough and unedited so excuse the endless amount of typo's haha. First time ever sitting down and writing one of these out, I can see why people get addicted to stuff like this.
May 25, 2017 at 11:36 p.m.
Nick
FOR THE LAST TIME THE HABS DON'T NEED A WINGER NOR WANT COMTOIS. WE NEED A CENTER!!! WE WOULD TAKE SUZUKI, POEHLING, BOWERS OR ANDERSSON!!!
May 26, 2017 at 10:24 a.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: DriveFor25
FOR THE LAST TIME THE HABS DON'T NEED A WINGER NOR WANT COMTOIS. WE NEED A CENTER!!! WE WOULD TAKE SUZUKI, POEHLING, BOWERS OR ANDERSSON!!!

What a waste of a years worth of scouting for Montreal, when all they had to do was ask you...

You don't get a game changing center at 25. By the time that pick is ready to roll, it's 3-4 years from now, Price is gone so you've got Fucale stopping 85% of shots, Weber is even slower than he is now and your offence is still a mess.

Take the best player available.
May 26, 2017 at 12:56 p.m.
There is way way more risk with Patrick than Hischier. Patrick is much older also a draft plus 1. His points per game dropped with with top prospects is not a good look. Take Hischier he is likely the safer bet with a higher ceiling.
May 26, 2017 at 4:28 p.m.
BreKel
Quoting: DriveFor25

Calm down.
May 26, 2017 at 6:47 p.m.
Quoting: JuniorGM
There is way way more risk with Patrick than Hischier. Patrick is much older also a draft plus 1. His points per game dropped with with top prospects is not a good look. Take Hischier he is likely the safer bet with a higher ceiling.

I respect the analysis and your reasoning. However, being a Shark fan who recently selected a Swiss player in Timo Meier who has been underwhelming and the lack of any Swiss player who has become a franchise changing player, I am somewhat skeptical. I understand this is some what of a ridiculous generalization and that all Swiss players are not created equal and nor that any one of them is never destined to become elite at the NHL level, however because of this insecurity I still personally feel that Hischer is the riskier of the two, and again just my personal view.

If Hischer goes number 1 he certainly would still be deserving of the pick, the kid has shown great skill and I hope he proves me wrong.
May 30, 2017 at 2:01 a.m.
The biggest need for the Flames by FAR is a RW/right-hand shot centre that can play on the wing, so I don't see any way they pass on Suzuki if he is there.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll