RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 5, 2022 at 5:37 p.m.
Quoting: JSEB93
It's also funny when people tweet these player cards like they're the 10 commandments. Might as well put Ruhwedel on the first pair then

And Rakell was a wasted sign then because McGinn is way better than him apparently. Should've just put him on the top line.

I'm still waiting to know why you're so flabbergasted by the idea of people wanting to save $2mil to spend elsewhere.

Who’s saying put a guy like Ruhwedel on the top pairing? And who’s suggesting McGinn is better than Rakell. You’re heavily over exaggerating yourself to what try and prove a useless point? You know how ridiculous that even sounds? I didn’t even say I’m “flabbergasted” by the idea of people saving that money to spend elsewhere. I’m just saying the signing really isn’t as bad as you’d think.

Those player cards can be taken in anyway but it shows all the more areas of the game he has covered so take it however you want.

Warren Foegele also got paid the same amount as McGinn and what his stats were producing offensively would’ve amounted identical to each other. And seeing the past few years of players earning the same amount of money all pretty much put up the same amount of points as McGinn with other analytical stats being the same. The best you’d get is a Chandler Stephenson randomly breaking out and if that’s what you expect out of players earning $2.75M than you literally belong in a freakin circus.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 9:25 a.m.
Quoting: BestGMBenning
Who’s saying put a guy like Ruhwedel on the top pairing? And who’s suggesting McGinn is better than Rakell. You’re heavily over exaggerating yourself to what try and prove a useless point? You know how ridiculous that even sounds? I didn’t even say I’m “flabbergasted” by the idea of people saving that money to spend elsewhere. I’m just saying the signing really isn’t as bad as you’d think.

Those player cards can be taken in anyway but it shows all the more areas of the game he has covered so take it however you want.

Warren Foegele also got paid the same amount as McGinn and what his stats were producing offensively would’ve amounted identical to each other. And seeing the past few years of players earning the same amount of money all pretty much put up the same amount of points as McGinn with other analytical stats being the same. The best you’d get is a Chandler Stephenson randomly breaking out and if that’s what you expect out of players earning $2.75M than you literally belong in a freakin circus.

Because if we are basing how well a player plays based on those cards, then we should stick with it for everyone. And that's what the cards show. You said people complaining about his salary are ridiculous.

And I'm just saying the signing is exactly as bad as I think. When you're paying a guy 2.75mil to be your worst forward that can be replaced by anybody making 750K, it's bad. Without his contract you don't lose Zohorna - or the impending defenseman we will have to get rid of. That's bad. You should look at Erods card then - the guy that we could have kept if we didn't have McGinn. Significantly better.

I don't think Foegele is really a guy you want to use to prove your point lol. Plus he had positive underlying numbers across the board - McGinn did not. And no, we don't see that. What we saw last year was everybody who earned less on the Penguins play better than McGinn - Heinen, Boyle, Erod, DOC. And we saw better players get signed this offseason for similar money. It's okay to admit when a contract is bad
Oct. 6, 2022 at 3:13 p.m.
Because if we are basing how well a player plays based on those cards, then we should stick with it for everyone. And that's what the cards show. You said people complaining about his salary are ridiculous.

And I'm just saying the signing is exactly as bad as I think. When you're paying a guy 2.75mil to be your worst forward that can be replaced by anybody making 750K, it's bad. Without his contract you don't lose Zohorna - or the impending defenseman we will have to get rid of. That's bad. You should look at Erods card then - the guy that we could have kept if we didn't have McGinn. Significantly better.

I don't think Foegele is really a guy you want to use to prove your point lol. Plus he had positive underlying numbers across the board - McGinn did not. And no, we don't see that. What we saw last year was everybody who earned less on the Penguins play better than McGinn - Heinen, Boyle, Erod, DOC. And we saw better players get signed this offseason for similar money. It's okay to admit when a contract is bad

I love that you continuously bring up ERod. He put up something like 30 points in around 30 games and then after that his numbers dipped. I wouldn’t say that was a surprise but something to have expected. He was still okay but not as good. He was just never a penalty killer though.

And below is a further evaluation of Brock McGinn

https://www.pensburgh.com/platform/amp/2022/6/14/23165724/2021-22-season-in-review-brock-mcginn
Oct. 10, 2022 at 9:17 a.m.
I love that you continuously bring up ERod. He put up something like 30 points in around 30 games and then after that his numbers dipped. I wouldn’t say that was a surprise but something to have expected. He was still okay but not as good. He was just never a penalty killer though.

And below is a further evaluation of Brock McGinn

https://www.pensburgh.com/platform/amp/2022/6/14/23165724/2021-22-season-in-review-brock-mcginn

What is that even supposed to mean lol? I brought him up once as a comparison for how bad McGinn's contract is. Then you started talking about Erod so I just continued the conversation. What am I supposed to do just not respond? What an awful point.

His point numbers dipped when he got less ice time and played with worse teammates - woah what a shocker. The first half of the season still counts - he was a crucial part in keeping the team afloat until Sid and Malkin got back. The important thing to note with Erod is even when he got dropped down the lineup his underlying numbers were still great. The team still outshot and outchanced the opponent with him on the ice - with McGinn they were negative all year long.

I mean the article sides with me. And I just realized the McGinn card you posted was projected and not actually his card from last year as seen in the article
Oct. 10, 2022 at 4:51 p.m.
What is that even supposed to mean lol? I brought him up once as a comparison for how bad McGinn's contract is. Then you started talking about Erod so I just continued the conversation. What am I supposed to do just not respond? What an awful point.

His point numbers dipped when he got less ice time and played with worse teammates - woah what a shocker. The first half of the season still counts - he was a crucial part in keeping the team afloat until Sid and Malkin got back. The important thing to note with Erod is even when he got dropped down the lineup his underlying numbers were still great. The team still outshot and outchanced the opponent with him on the ice - with McGinn they were negative all year long.

I mean the article sides with me. And I just realized the McGinn card you posted was projected and not actually his card from last year as seen in the article

Outshot but still not a bad goals against. Though he’s solid as said but not a stand out type of player. The reason being for McGinn’s contract is the fact he’s a two way type of player that would be considered more better than players in the rest of the league. Like I said I don’t know what kind of production you’d want out of McGinn but he’s not going to be posting crazy numbers especially at $2.75M. You bring up ERod to try and prove a point but have you seen his stats before his miracle first half? Even when he was paired back up with Sid and Jake later in the season he still wasnt great. He was barely played on the PK and for a guy of his sudden outburst of production he didn’t really change our PP that much as well honestly. Yet again for the first half of the season he was insanely good and yet everything dropped and he went back to being like a 3rd/4th line defensive type of forward that brought some offence. He had remained on the PK consistently on the leagues top 3 PK all season. The matter of fact is McGinn in a healthy year is the type of forward to put up around 30 points a season while being a good defensive player that uses that well on the PK. And it’s funny for a guy that gets outshot still makes the effort to block shots and be the forward to have blocked the lost shots out of our forward core with Jeff Carter.

It’s still funny to me that’s you’d make a comparison of ERod to McGinn due to money when ERod gets a one year $2M dollar contract. Why do you think that is? Maybe it’s the case of thinking that ERod is a one hit wonder player? Has it ever occurred to you that he was played with Geno when he first came back and he had stopped producing? Geno was still making good plays but really only seemed to have been alone on his own line. Despite the efforts he made he still scored 20 goals and 22 assists in 41 games. Imagine how much higher that could’ve been if his linemates had actually finished plays of which ERod was among them. With ERod not producing it became clear to Sully that he had began regressing and made the choice to play him less and it never got better for him. McGinn on the other hand had played his role. Sure he wasn’t great but he was still decent. Although I still don’t get the comparison of McGinn and ERod when one is a solidified bottom 6 winger and the other one had a year where he really seemed to have over-succeeded.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 9:55 a.m.
Outshot but still not a bad goals against. Though he’s solid as said but not a stand out type of player. The reason being for McGinn’s contract is the fact he’s a two way type of player that would be considered more better than players in the rest of the league. Like I said I don’t know what kind of production you’d want out of McGinn but he’s not going to be posting crazy numbers especially at $2.75M. You bring up ERod to try and prove a point but have you seen his stats before his miracle first half? Even when he was paired back up with Sid and Jake later in the season he still wasnt great. He was barely played on the PK and for a guy of his sudden outburst of production he didn’t really change our PP that much as well honestly. Yet again for the first half of the season he was insanely good and yet everything dropped and he went back to being like a 3rd/4th line defensive type of forward that brought some offence. He had remained on the PK consistently on the leagues top 3 PK all season. The matter of fact is McGinn in a healthy year is the type of forward to put up around 30 points a season while being a good defensive player that uses that well on the PK. And it’s funny for a guy that gets outshot still makes the effort to block shots and be the forward to have blocked the lost shots out of our forward core with Jeff Carter.

It’s still funny to me that’s you’d make a comparison of ERod to McGinn due to money when ERod gets a one year $2M dollar contract. Why do you think that is? Maybe it’s the case of thinking that ERod is a one hit wonder player? Has it ever occurred to you that he was played with Geno when he first came back and he had stopped producing? Geno was still making good plays but really only seemed to have been alone on his own line. Despite the efforts he made he still scored 20 goals and 22 assists in 41 games. Imagine how much higher that could’ve been if his linemates had actually finished plays of which ERod was among them. With ERod not producing it became clear to Sully that he had began regressing and made the choice to play him less and it never got better for him. McGinn on the other hand had played his role. Sure he wasn’t great but he was still decent. Although I still don’t get the comparison of McGinn and ERod when one is a solidified bottom 6 winger and the other one had a year where he really seemed to have over-succeeded.

He was 14th out of 17 forwards in GA% - so yeah - still pretty bad. And 16th in xGA%. But how is he solid? Like for 1x1mil maybe he's solid but for 2.75mil for 3 years he's definitely not solid. A two way type of player wouldn't have these awful goals against rankings. And like I said - I just don't want him to suck. I don't want him to get outplayed by every player making less than him on the team. I don't want him to rank 14-16th in metrics on his team in a game that only plays 12 forwards. I've said it multiple times - there are guys making 750K that are equal or better - I want production that doesn't make me say that. Yes actually, I have seen Erods numbers prior to his first half last year. They are equal to McGinn's prior to the Pens - and Erod did it while playing on Buffalo. Didn't change our PP? You mean the one with no Malkin or Crosby - what did you expect them to be converting at a 30% clip? Yeah he dropped because of less ice time and worse teammates - obviously production will drop. But he still had drastically better possession numbers than McGinn - he still played better than McGinn in his smaller role. You have no argument here. The PK was better without McGinn than with him. It was carried by people like ZAR, Teddy, and Boyle. And Erod is can do that same thing or more - as can multiple people making significantly less money than McGinn. You want to pay him 2.75mil for 3 years because he blocks shots? Not sure why that's funny either? Also, McGinn blocked less shots than ZAR, Kapanen, Carter, and Boyle last year.

It's funny to me that you are so obsessed with this Erod discussion. I mentioned him once to show that McGinn's contract is bad and you've thrown a tantrum about it. Erod played with Malkin for 78 minutes the entire year - what in the world are you talking about haha. Trying to blame Erod for any of Malkin's numbers is just laughably stupid and ignoring reality.

What was McGinn's role - to be the worst forward on the team? He wasn't decent. You can't **** about Erod while commending McGinn when Erod had a better year by a wide margin. Dude - for the love of God - the comparison was to show how bad McGinn's contract was. I don''t know how many more times I can say that. Stop saying you don't get it haha. Erod's numbers before this season are just as good as McGinn's, and he played in BUF. So calling McGinn a solidified bottom 6 guy and Erod as a bum who over-succeeded for half a year is just ridiculous
Oct. 11, 2022 at 3:27 p.m.
He was 14th out of 17 forwards in GA% - so yeah - still pretty bad. And 16th in xGA%. But how is he solid? Like for 1x1mil maybe he's solid but for 2.75mil for 3 years he's definitely not solid. A two way type of player wouldn't have these awful goals against rankings. And like I said - I just don't want him to suck. I don't want him to get outplayed by every player making less than him on the team. I don't want him to rank 14-16th in metrics on his team in a game that only plays 12 forwards. I've said it multiple times - there are guys making 750K that are equal or better - I want production that doesn't make me say that. Yes actually, I have seen Erods numbers prior to his first half last year. They are equal to McGinn's prior to the Pens - and Erod did it while playing on Buffalo. Didn't change our PP? You mean the one with no Malkin or Crosby - what did you expect them to be converting at a 30% clip? Yeah he dropped because of less ice time and worse teammates - obviously production will drop. But he still had drastically better possession numbers than McGinn - he still played better than McGinn in his smaller role. You have no argument here. The PK was better without McGinn than with him. It was carried by people like ZAR, Teddy, and Boyle. And Erod is can do that same thing or more - as can multiple people making significantly less money than McGinn. You want to pay him 2.75mil for 3 years because he blocks shots? Not sure why that's funny either? Also, McGinn blocked less shots than ZAR, Kapanen, Carter, and Boyle last year.

It's funny to me that you are so obsessed with this Erod discussion. I mentioned him once to show that McGinn's contract is bad and you've thrown a tantrum about it. Erod played with Malkin for 78 minutes the entire year - what in the world are you talking about haha. Trying to blame Erod for any of Malkin's numbers is just laughably stupid and ignoring reality.

What was McGinn's role - to be the worst forward on the team? He wasn't decent. You can't **** about Erod while commending McGinn when Erod had a better year by a wide margin. Dude - for the love of God - the comparison was to show how bad McGinn's contract was. I don''t know how many more times I can say that. Stop saying you don't get it haha. Erod's numbers before this season are just as good as McGinn's, and he played in BUF. So calling McGinn a solidified bottom 6 guy and Erod as a bum who over-succeeded for half a year is just ridiculous

ERod sure did play in Buffalo and seemed promising at first but then his numbers dipped again and seemed like he was only becoming more of a depth player. Comes to Pittsburgh where he was barely played at first but then he gained some kind of chemistry with Geno but yet again not all that crazy with the numbers compared to his incredible first half. The funny thing when Geno came back for his first game, ERod still logged in close to 20 minutes a night for a few games while making no impact. That’s the thing I meant. Not only it was ERod that sucked with Geno. Everyone sort of did. But because of ERod having no production playing with Geno, his playing time dipped more and more. Also ERod really didn’t produce much on the power play. The thing with ERod is no one still wanted to sign him to a deal with term. Why would you think that is?

And then here you are twisting words. Blocking shots for $2.75? I just mentioned the fact he’d still make that effort to get in front of pucks despite being a player that would be outshot. He was played in situations to be a very defensive minded player and yet he still had decent defensive numbers. It’s still funny to me that despite you saying “pk is better without him” the PK was still top 3 in the league with him consistently playing on it. There’s a reason for McGinn’s contract constructed the way it is. For a solid two way player that can produce at a decent rate and still would’ve been producing at a 30 point rate in a healthy year, plays a physical game and still made it hard for other teams to play against. Not to mention the playoff experience he had with Carolina.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 4:08 p.m.
ERod sure did play in Buffalo and seemed promising at first but then his numbers dipped again and seemed like he was only becoming more of a depth player. Comes to Pittsburgh where he was barely played at first but then he gained some kind of chemistry with Geno but yet again not all that crazy with the numbers compared to his incredible first half. The funny thing when Geno came back for his first game, ERod still logged in close to 20 minutes a night for a few games while making no impact. That’s the thing I meant. Not only it was ERod that sucked with Geno. Everyone sort of did. But because of ERod having no production playing with Geno, his playing time dipped more and more. Also ERod really didn’t produce much on the power play. The thing with ERod is no one still wanted to sign him to a deal with term. Why would you think that is?

And then here you are twisting words. Blocking shots for $2.75? I just mentioned the fact he’d still make that effort to get in front of pucks despite being a player that would be outshot. He was played in situations to be a very defensive minded player and yet he still had decent defensive numbers. It’s still funny to me that despite you saying “pk is better without him” the PK was still top 3 in the league with him consistently playing on it. There’s a reason for McGinn’s contract constructed the way it is. For a solid two way player that can produce at a decent rate and still would’ve been producing at a 30 point rate in a healthy year, plays a physical game and still made it hard for other teams to play against. Not to mention the playoff experience he had with Carolina.

Right - and whats wong with him being a depth player? When did anybody say he was going to be, or expect him to be, a first line superstar? Why are you again bringing up him and Geno? They barely played together - I gave you their TOI. He played 20 minutes twice after Geno returned. I'm not sure what's funny about that? I find it funny that you can't come up with a point. Again, why are you bringing up Erod and Geno - you keep pushing this completely meaningless argument as if it means or proves anything - it doesn't. He had the same number of PP goals as Jake Guenztel - so saying he didn't produce is a flat out lie.

Who cares if he still gives the effort to block shots while getting outshot - you act like this means something lol. The PK was better without him - that's just a fact. They killed penalties at a higher % while he was hurt. The Pens PK was #1 until they lost ZAR and Blueger got hurt - the two people who actually mattered. It cratered in the second half of the year when McGinn took more responsibility. You keep repeating "there's a reason McGinn's contract is tructered the way it is" as if that means something - it doesn't. There's a reason people complain about his contract - because it's bad for what he provides and anybody else can do what he does for less money. He wasn't solid - I've already proved this many times. Can you actually read my comments please? I'm tired of having to repeat myself. Everybody who made less money than him last year played better.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 4:35 p.m.
Right - and whats wong with him being a depth player? When did anybody say he was going to be, or expect him to be, a first line superstar? Why are you again bringing up him and Geno? They barely played together - I gave you their TOI. He played 20 minutes twice after Geno returned. I'm not sure what's funny about that? I find it funny that you can't come up with a point. Again, why are you bringing up Erod and Geno - you keep pushing this completely meaningless argument as if it means or proves anything - it doesn't. He had the same number of PP goals as Jake Guenztel - so saying he didn't produce is a flat out lie.

Who cares if he still gives the effort to block shots while getting outshot - you act like this means something lol. The PK was better without him - that's just a fact. They killed penalties at a higher % while he was hurt. The Pens PK was #1 until they lost ZAR and Blueger got hurt - the two people who actually mattered. It cratered in the second half of the year when McGinn took more responsibility. You keep repeating "there's a reason McGinn's contract is tructered the way it is" as if that means something - it doesn't. There's a reason people complain about his contract - because it's bad for what he provides and anybody else can do what he does for less money. He wasn't solid - I've already proved this many times. Can you actually read my comments please? I'm tired of having to repeat myself. Everybody who made less money than him last year played better.

ERods time on ice 5 games when Geno returned
22:28
21:06
19:18
20:02
14:07
And no production. Not saying I didn’t like the guy. It was just a thing of too good to be true honestly.

Saying the PK sucked with him because literally our 2 best penalty killers were gone is sort of proving your own statement wrong. With Blueger gone there’s no one else to be there taking and winning faceoffs like him leads to the team facing more shots. Keep in mind Blueger had a 53% faceoff wins. McGinn could just not block those shots and let those shots reach the net if they don’t mean anything. They were at 87% penalty killing and only dropped down to 84%. That really isn’t a bad drop.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
ERods time on ice 5 games when Geno returned
22:28
21:06
19:18
20:02
14:07
And no production. Not saying I didn’t like the guy. It was just a thing of too good to be true honestly.

Saying the PK sucked with him because literally our 2 best penalty killers were gone is sort of proving your own statement wrong. With Blueger gone there’s no one else to be there taking and winning faceoffs like him leads to the team facing more shots. Keep in mind Blueger had a 53% faceoff wins. McGinn could just not block those shots and let those shots reach the net if they don’t mean anything. They were at 87% penalty killing and only dropped down to 84%. That really isn’t a bad drop.

Oh dear god brother. Geno came back the 11th. You added an extra game. So as I said - Erod played 2 games over 20 minutes after Malkin came back. Most importantly, in those 5 games after Malkin returned - he didn't play with Erod. Your whole entire argument is a complete fabrication. It never happened. So stop saying no production - it makes no sense. You have zero idea what you are talking about.

No - it's not proving my statement wrong. It's proving your statement wrong that McGinn was invaluable to a top PK unit. I didn't say blocking shots doesn't mean anything - I said your comment of "well he was blocking shots while getting outshot" doesn't mean anything. They were 2nd in the league at 86.5% for the first half of the year and 12th in the league at 81.3% the second half. That's a significant drop
Oct. 11, 2022 at 5:36 p.m.
Oh dear god brother. Geno came back the 11th. You added an extra game. So as I said - Erod played 2 games over 20 minutes after Malkin came back. Most importantly, in those 5 games after Malkin returned - he didn't play with Erod. Your whole entire argument is a complete fabrication. It never happened. So stop saying no production - it makes no sense. You have zero idea what you are talking about.

No - it's not proving my statement wrong. It's proving your statement wrong that McGinn was invaluable to a top PK unit. I didn't say blocking shots doesn't mean anything - I said your comment of "well he was blocking shots while getting outshot" doesn't mean anything. They were 2nd in the league at 86.5% for the first half of the year and 12th in the league at 81.3% the second half. That's a significant drop

Misread it. Taking away that first game. However still adding on to games he logged in 10:57. It really didn’t get much better for him.

The second half’s PK was expected to drop after having no Blueger for over a month. Winning faceoffs in defensive zones is a big thing and Boyle wasn’t as good as Blueger both offensively and defensively obviously and rather than seeing this as a team problem you only see it as a McGinn problem. No to mention McGinn had been hurt himself and having to rotate different players that Sully doesn’t like playing on the PK. He had a lot of great chemistry with Blueger alone because they are just a bread and butter type on a line together. It just makes sense. And when Blueger wasn’t there he struggled because McGinn is more of a goal scoring type of player than anything offensively and a solid defensive guy but when he didn’t have his partner there with him things just sucked altogether. Blueger did no carrying with McGinn. They just had that chemistry
Oct. 12, 2022 at 9:48 a.m.
Misread it. Taking away that first game. However still adding on to games he logged in 10:57. It really didn’t get much better for him.

The second half’s PK was expected to drop after having no Blueger for over a month. Winning faceoffs in defensive zones is a big thing and Boyle wasn’t as good as Blueger both offensively and defensively obviously and rather than seeing this as a team problem you only see it as a McGinn problem. No to mention McGinn had been hurt himself and having to rotate different players that Sully doesn’t like playing on the PK. He had a lot of great chemistry with Blueger alone because they are just a bread and butter type on a line together. It just makes sense. And when Blueger wasn’t there he struggled because McGinn is more of a goal scoring type of player than anything offensively and a solid defensive guy but when he didn’t have his partner there with him things just sucked altogether. Blueger did no carrying with McGinn. They just had that chemistry

What do you mean it didn't get much better for him lol - the point is he didn't even play with Malkin in those games. And it's 5 games.

That's still a significant drop - and missing one player for 1 month causing that much of a drop just helps prove my point that it was carried by players like ZAR and Blueger. McGinn spent almost no time with Boyle on the PK, so your point about that is just wrong. His second center was Carter - who was even better in the circle than Blueger, so again your point is moot. Not sure why you keep brining up his injury as if that somehow excuses his awful play on the ice. Wouldn't call it a bread and butter line with great chemistry. They put up average numbers together and Bluegers skyrocketed without McGinn - it's obvious he had a negative effect on Blueger. "it just makes sense" lol - except all I have done is given proof that it doesn't. So McGinn needs all the help around him for the PK to be decent, but nobody else needs him. Sounds like he's a waste. Obviously Blueger carried McGinn. That's literally what the numbers show.

It wasn't a lack of Blueger that made McGinn struggle - he struggled even with Blueger. I don't know why you can't just agree that McGinn had a bad year and his has a bad contract - your refusal to accept this obvious fact is what's caused this entire argument.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 1:45 p.m.
What do you mean it didn't get much better for him lol - the point is he didn't even play with Malkin in those games. And it's 5 games.

That's still a significant drop - and missing one player for 1 month causing that much of a drop just helps prove my point that it was carried by players like ZAR and Blueger. McGinn spent almost no time with Boyle on the PK, so your point about that is just wrong. His second center was Carter - who was even better in the circle than Blueger, so again your point is moot. Not sure why you keep brining up his injury as if that somehow excuses his awful play on the ice. Wouldn't call it a bread and butter line with great chemistry. They put up average numbers together and Bluegers skyrocketed without McGinn - it's obvious he had a negative effect on Blueger. "it just makes sense" lol - except all I have done is given proof that it doesn't. So McGinn needs all the help around him for the PK to be decent, but nobody else needs him. Sounds like he's a waste. Obviously Blueger carried McGinn. That's literally what the numbers show.

It wasn't a lack of Blueger that made McGinn struggle - he struggled even with Blueger. I don't know why you can't just agree that McGinn had a bad year and his has a bad contract - your refusal to accept this obvious fact is what's caused this entire argument.

McGinn struggled playing with others. And looking at Jeff he did play a role on that PK that helped them be better. And yet it’s funny to me that you mention the 2nd half of the season’s pk percentage dropped because we missed Blueger for a month. Then we lost McGinn for a month. Then ZAR was traded while McGinn was out. Missing some of the most played penalty killers can easily hurt the pk units. And that’s what happened. Not to mention Blueger was the player McGinn played with most. If there was a case of carrying then other Center men should’ve been able to get the same production out of McGinn
Oct. 12, 2022 at 2:02 p.m.
Edited Oct. 12, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
McGinn struggled playing with others. And looking at Jeff he did play a role on that PK that helped them be better. And yet it’s funny to me that you mention the 2nd half of the season’s pk percentage dropped because we missed Blueger for a month. Then we lost McGinn for a month. Then ZAR was traded while McGinn was out. Missing some of the most played penalty killers can easily hurt the pk units. And that’s what happened. Not to mention Blueger was the player McGinn played with most. If there was a case of carrying then other Center men should’ve been able to get the same production out of McGinn

Why would you want a player that struggles playing with others then lol?

Why is that funny? The PK did drop without Blueger, and it dropped without ZAR, it didn't drop without McGinn - so that's why I mention it. The PK was better without McGinn than with him - this is just a fact. The Pens PK was 88% during McGinn's absence. It was 85% prior to his injury and 73% after his return. He had no positive influence to the PK%. ZAR got traded at the same time that McGinn got hurt - and the PK performed significantly better without him than it did when he returned. Yes - missing ZAR and Blueger easily hurt the PK - missing McGinn did not.

Yeah McGinn's most common center was Blueger - what you're saying at the end of your comment makes no sense and is irrelevant. Did you think you were making a point or something? McGinn was dragging Blueger down, so yes, in essence Blueger was carrying him. I've already explained this. Can you at least give some type of evidence and stats to support any of your points and what you're saying - at this point it's just conjecture. I've given so much info to back up what I'm saying and you've given nothing. You're just giving empty statements as if they are fact.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 3:18 p.m.
Why would you want a player that struggles playing with others then lol?

Why is that funny? The PK did drop without Blueger, and it dropped without ZAR, it didn't drop without McGinn - so that's why I mention it. The PK was better without McGinn than with him - this is just a fact. The Pens PK was 88% during McGinn's absence. It was 85% prior to his injury and 73% after his return. He had no positive influence to the PK%. ZAR got traded at the same time that McGinn got hurt - and the PK performed significantly better without him than it did when he returned. Yes - missing ZAR and Blueger easily hurt the PK - missing McGinn did not.

Yeah McGinn's most common center was Blueger - what you're saying at the end of your comment makes no sense and is irrelevant. Did you think you were making a point or something? McGinn was dragging Blueger down, so yes, in essence Blueger was carrying him. I've already explained this. Can you at least give some type of evidence and stats to support any of your points and what you're saying - at this point it's just conjecture. I've given so much info to back up what I'm saying and you've given nothing. You're just giving empty statements as if they are fact.

Defensively the 4th line of ZAR-Blueger-McGinn were one of the best together. The only thing was offence. ZAR had none of it sadly and McGinn helped bring some of it and at the end of the day I really think McGinn did a fine job despite what you’re saying. You’re the one complaining about a guy making $2.75M. Which is still pretty funny. I know McGinn did struggle but you’re saying the whole year he did. When in the first few months he was pretty solid and was becoming liked among us. Then things got rough and he pretty much regressed as the year went on. But a few other players did. Him, ERod, Kappy, even Jarry had some regression but I’d hardly blame that on him as well. These things happen. But I don’t think McGinn was all that bad. Like the article said, McGinn was given far more defensive zone starts than offensive zone starts and the most he ever had in his career. And since I did post the wrong player card there is another one that isn’t too eye opening but some stats that do stand out a bit. And just watching the games I did he didn’t stand out too much but he got the job done except the one that replays in my head where he gave it away to a speedy K’Andre Miller.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 3:25 p.m.
Defensively the 4th line of ZAR-Blueger-McGinn were one of the best together. The only thing was offence. ZAR had none of it sadly and McGinn helped bring some of it and at the end of the day I really think McGinn did a fine job despite what you’re saying. You’re the one complaining about a guy making $2.75M. Which is still pretty funny. I know McGinn did struggle but you’re saying the whole year he did. When in the first few months he was pretty solid and was becoming liked among us. Then things got rough and he pretty much regressed as the year went on. But a few other players did. Him, ERod, Kappy, even Jarry had some regression but I’d hardly blame that on him as well. These things happen. But I don’t think McGinn was all that bad. Like the article said, McGinn was given far more defensive zone starts than offensive zone starts and the most he ever had in his career. And since I did post the wrong player card there is another one that isn’t too eye opening but some stats that do stand out a bit. And just watching the games I did he didn’t stand out too much but he got the job done except the one that replays in my head where he gave it away to a speedy K’Andre Miller.

Not super great offensively but as I said he is more of a goal scorer than playmaker. He gets in the right spot and he can rack up a decent amount of goals. Defensively he did fine. Although some stats on the player card I’m not sure with when it comes to a few other players. Because according to the PK stat, Boyle isn’t too much better than McGinn. Defensively they were the same. But here’s where those stats add up. Blueger’s shooting stats aren’t relatively too great but his passing statistics and passing success rate would add up to McGinns scoring success early in the season. It still sucks that they weren’t able to keep that connection as McGinn regressed.

mcg4.JPG
Oct. 12, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
Not super great offensively but as I said he is more of a goal scorer than playmaker. He gets in the right spot and he can rack up a decent amount of goals. Defensively he did fine. Although some stats on the player card I’m not sure with when it comes to a few other players. Because according to the PK stat, Boyle isn’t too much better than McGinn. Defensively they were the same. But here’s where those stats add up. Blueger’s shooting stats aren’t relatively too great but his passing statistics and passing success rate would add up to McGinns scoring success early in the season. It still sucks that they weren’t able to keep that connection as McGinn regressed.

mcg4.JPG

And again - so we are back to this player card thing? I already explained the issues with this. Plus this isn't even a good card.

I was hoping for actual statistics - but thank you for at least attempting to provide info to back up your claims. I'll give you credit for that
Oct. 12, 2022 at 7:44 p.m.
And again - so we are back to this player card thing? I already explained the issues with this. Plus this isn't even a good card.

I was hoping for actual statistics - but thank you for at least attempting to provide info to back up your claims. I'll give you credit for that

Considering everyone on the 4th line were given over 70% of defensive zone starts their stats still remain solid altogether. And McGinn along with them still hold a decent GA/60 with McGinn. And the teams overall save percentage is also pretty solid with McGinn on ice at 92% on both even strength and short handed and goals against yet again really isn’t anything crazy. Not good but not bad. His offence isn’t as good obviously but yet he was still able to log in 12 goals and 10 assists.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 10:02 a.m.
Considering everyone on the 4th line were given over 70% of defensive zone starts their stats still remain solid altogether. And McGinn along with them still hold a decent GA/60 with McGinn. And the teams overall save percentage is also pretty solid with McGinn on ice at 92% on both even strength and short handed and goals against yet again really isn’t anything crazy. Not good but not bad. His offence isn’t as good obviously but yet he was still able to log in 12 goals and 10 assists.

According to Natural Stat Trick, McGinn had a 64% defensive zone start % - had the lowest % of the common 4th liners Blueger, ZAR, and Boyle. And McGinn's stats weren't solid - they were poor. His GA/60 was fine - I'll give you that - but that metric can be a bit flawed for a 4th liner with low TOI. His GA/60 was significantly lower than Heinen, Boyle, DOC - and right in line with Zohorna. All guys getting paid way less and with better all around numbers too. He had a similar rate to Kapanen - who nobody is happy with. His total points/60 were also equal or lower than all the other guys on the 4th line and players who made less money.

The teams overall save percentage argument kind of helps me actually. He benefitted from an above average save % so without that his numbers would look even worse. Yeah but those point totals aren't really good. Boyle put up the same numbers as a 37 year old making 750K and could barely move - so I don't view 22 points with awful possession numbers as a positive. The whole entire point here is that he wasn't good last year and he can be replaced by equal or better players making equal or less money. All the evidence proves that.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 3:30 p.m.
According to Natural Stat Trick, McGinn had a 64% defensive zone start % - had the lowest % of the common 4th liners Blueger, ZAR, and Boyle. And McGinn's stats weren't solid - they were poor. His GA/60 was fine - I'll give you that - but that metric can be a bit flawed for a 4th liner with low TOI. His GA/60 was significantly lower than Heinen, Boyle, DOC - and right in line with Zohorna. All guys getting paid way less and with better all around numbers too. He had a similar rate to Kapanen - who nobody is happy with. His total points/60 were also equal or lower than all the other guys on the 4th line and players who made less money.

The teams overall save percentage argument kind of helps me actually. He benefitted from an above average save % so without that his numbers would look even worse. Yeah but those point totals aren't really good. Boyle put up the same numbers as a 37 year old making 750K and could barely move - so I don't view 22 points with awful possession numbers as a positive. The whole entire point here is that he wasn't good last year and he can be replaced by equal or better players making equal or less money. All the evidence proves that.

He wasn’t that bad last season is what I think and i think people gotta stop making a big deal of his contract. Why y’all getting mad over a guy making $2.75M.

Another thing is a few other guys you’ve mentioned like Boyle, Zohorna, Heinen, ERod, and O’Connor, only Boyle averaged more defensive zone starts than McGinn. And looking at ERod’s stats on the PK this year it looks like he isn’t fit to be a penalty killer and McGinn was far better than he was. Not to mention not a whole lot of anyone else could really play the PK like Blueger, ZAR, Carter, and McGinn could. Also looking at Boyle’s goals against on the PK was worse than McGinn’s. Although Boyle still did a fine job considering he didn’t play NHL hockey for something like 2 years? I wished Pittsburgh brought him back rather than getting Archibald honestly. Nothing against Archibald, it’s just Boyle was a really nice addition. I think everyone was an overall great fit. But the save percentage stat was McGinn’s on-ice save percentage.
Oct. 13, 2022 at 4:44 p.m.
He wasn’t that bad last season is what I think and i think people gotta stop making a big deal of his contract. Why y’all getting mad over a guy making $2.75M.

Another thing is a few other guys you’ve mentioned like Boyle, Zohorna, Heinen, ERod, and O’Connor, only Boyle averaged more defensive zone starts than McGinn. And looking at ERod’s stats on the PK this year it looks like he isn’t fit to be a penalty killer and McGinn was far better than he was. Not to mention not a whole lot of anyone else could really play the PK like Blueger, ZAR, Carter, and McGinn could. Also looking at Boyle’s goals against on the PK was worse than McGinn’s. Although Boyle still did a fine job considering he didn’t play NHL hockey for something like 2 years? I wished Pittsburgh brought him back rather than getting Archibald honestly. Nothing against Archibald, it’s just Boyle was a really nice addition. I think everyone was an overall great fit. But the save percentage stat was McGinn’s on-ice save percentage.

Yeah that's fine you can think whatever you want - but I literally gave you all the evidence that shows he was bad. No people don't - because the contract is bad - as I proved. For the 33rd time in this conversation - because McGinn had a bad year and he can be easily replaced by people making significantly less money.

Yes - Boyle averaged more defensive zone starts as McGinn. What is your point? You're just helping my side of the argument by bringing that up. What stats are you looking at for Erod on the PK lol - the guy didn't even play on the PK. So you're just pulling **** out of your ass. And nobody expects him to be on the PK - so what is your argument here? Not a whole lot of anyone else could play the PK? You had Boyle, Rust, and Kapanen who could all play PK. That's 7 forwards - how many do you need. I would love to see where you are getting these stats that Boyle was worse on the PK.

Nah - letting Boyle go at 38yo after offseason surgery was definitely the right move I think. Although I agree the Archibald signing was awful.

I know that was McGinn's on ice sv% - I'm not sure what point you are trying to make there? I'm saying he benefitted from a good on ice sv% - otherwise his numbers would look even worse. Like GA numbers wise. Obviously it wouldnt effect his points
Oct. 13, 2022 at 5:44 p.m.
Yeah that's fine you can think whatever you want - but I literally gave you all the evidence that shows he was bad. No people don't - because the contract is bad - as I proved. For the 33rd time in this conversation - because McGinn had a bad year and he can be easily replaced by people making significantly less money.

Yes - Boyle averaged more defensive zone starts as McGinn. What is your point? You're just helping my side of the argument by bringing that up. What stats are you looking at for Erod on the PK lol - the guy didn't even play on the PK. So you're just pulling **** out of your ass. And nobody expects him to be on the PK - so what is your argument here? Not a whole lot of anyone else could play the PK? You had Boyle, Rust, and Kapanen who could all play PK. That's 7 forwards - how many do you need. I would love to see where you are getting these stats that Boyle was worse on the PK.

Nah - letting Boyle go at 38yo after offseason surgery was definitely the right move I think. Although I agree the Archibald signing was awful.

I know that was McGinn's on ice sv% - I'm not sure what point you are trying to make there? I'm saying he benefitted from a good on ice sv% - otherwise his numbers would look even worse. Like GA numbers wise. Obviously it wouldnt effect his points

He was the only guy that got more defensive zone starts is all I was saying. I also did say his goals against on the PK was worse than McGinn’s own. Lol with ERod I was just saying He did get some looks on the PK with no ZAR and didn’t do a great job. Rust’s goals against on the PK wasn’t really great as well for the time he had on it. Kappy got 0 looks on the PK and if he did it was more than likely for an offensive zone start. Sully doesn’t like Kappy on the PK. Hockey references got these stats
Blueger’s GA/60 was a 2.2 on the PK
Carter’s GA/60 was 4.4 on the PK
McGinn’s GA/60 was 5.4 on the PK
ZAR’s GA/60 was 6.4 on the PK
Boyle’s GA/60 was 8.2 on the PK
Rather than seeing that the teams stats overall aren’t bad other than being outshot when he’s on the ice. He helps make the team be the 4th line be the shutdown line they are. Also out of our players on the 4th line the one who does the most shooting out of them all is McGinn. Doesn’t help when he’s the only one on the 4th line with over 100 shots. Blueger, ZAR, and Boyle all had less than that.
Not gonna lie it feels like you only want to pin blame on to a player making $2.75M which is just really funny.
Oct. 14, 2022 at 9:32 a.m.
He was the only guy that got more defensive zone starts is all I was saying. I also did say his goals against on the PK was worse than McGinn’s own. Lol with ERod I was just saying He did get some looks on the PK with no ZAR and didn’t do a great job. Rust’s goals against on the PK wasn’t really great as well for the time he had on it. Kappy got 0 looks on the PK and if he did it was more than likely for an offensive zone start. Sully doesn’t like Kappy on the PK. Hockey references got these stats
Blueger’s GA/60 was a 2.2 on the PK
Carter’s GA/60 was 4.4 on the PK
McGinn’s GA/60 was 5.4 on the PK
ZAR’s GA/60 was 6.4 on the PK
Boyle’s GA/60 was 8.2 on the PK
Rather than seeing that the teams stats overall aren’t bad other than being outshot when he’s on the ice. He helps make the team be the 4th line be the shutdown line they are. Also out of our players on the 4th line the one who does the most shooting out of them all is McGinn. Doesn’t help when he’s the only one on the 4th line with over 100 shots. Blueger, ZAR, and Boyle all had less than that.
Not gonna lie it feels like you only want to pin blame on to a player making $2.75M which is just really funny.

He wasn't though. Blueger got more defensive zone starts - as did ZAR. Erod was the 9th forward in PK time lol - trying to use that as a negative against him is just crazy. Nobody expected or wants him to be on the PK - so what is your argument in bringing this up? You expect a guy who doesn't play PK to just hop in for 3 games and be a wizard or something? Kapanen is playing the PK this year and had the most TOI las night of any forward on the PK.

The teams stats aren't good when he's on the ice - I've proved this many times. His numbers aren't good. He was 14th in GF% on the team amongst forwards and 16th in xGF%. He doesn't help make any line a shutdown line lol. Blueger's numbers were significantly better when playing without McGinn - he had a negative impact. Anybody can do what he does at a lower price.

HAHAHAHA - you are pathetically just grasping at straws. Trying to say McGinn is good because he does the most shooting on the 4th line. That's just embarrassing. He had 6 more shots than Blueger. Plus you called McGinn a scorer - so why wouldn't he take the most shots?

The only funny thing here is you ignoring all the evidence that proves you wrong and then coming back with this condescending attitude as if you're right about something. Only want to pin blame on a player making 2.75mil? First off that doesn't even make any sense - blame for what - his own ****ty play? Then yes - who else am i supposed to blame - his dog? Secondly, that's just a horrible strawman that you're trying to use to distract form the topic of conversation. And you just keep repeating his salary as if that means anything haha

I'll summarize the point for the 47th time, now in caps since apparently you struggle to read. THE WHOLE POINT IS MCGINN HAD A BAD YEAR LAST YEAR. EVERYBODY WHO MADE LESS THAN HIM HAD A BETTER YEAR. HE CAN BE EASILY REPLACED BY AN EQUAL OR BETTER PLAYER MAKING EQUAL OR LESS MONEY - THEREFORE HIS CONTRACT IS BAD. ALL OF THE EVIDENCE GIVEN BY ME IN THIS CONVERSATION PROVES IT. NOTHING YOU HAVE GIVEN PROVES OTHERWISE. THAT'S WHY PEOPLE WANT TO MOVE HIM. YOUR REFUSAL TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS ISN'T FUNNY, IT'S JUST SAD AND CONCERNING
Oct. 14, 2022 at 4:11 p.m.
He wasn't though. Blueger got more defensive zone starts - as did ZAR. Erod was the 9th forward in PK time lol - trying to use that as a negative against him is just crazy. Nobody expected or wants him to be on the PK - so what is your argument in bringing this up? You expect a guy who doesn't play PK to just hop in for 3 games and be a wizard or something? Kapanen is playing the PK this year and had the most TOI las night of any forward on the PK.

The teams stats aren't good when he's on the ice - I've proved this many times. His numbers aren't good. He was 14th in GF% on the team amongst forwards and 16th in xGF%. He doesn't help make any line a shutdown line lol. Blueger's numbers were significantly better when playing without McGinn - he had a negative impact. Anybody can do what he does at a lower price.

HAHAHAHA - you are pathetically just grasping at straws. Trying to say McGinn is good because he does the most shooting on the 4th line. That's just embarrassing. He had 6 more shots than Blueger. Plus you called McGinn a scorer - so why wouldn't he take the most shots?

The only funny thing here is you ignoring all the evidence that proves you wrong and then coming back with this condescending attitude as if you're right about something. Only want to pin blame on a player making 2.75mil? First off that doesn't even make any sense - blame for what - his own ****ty play? Then yes - who else am i supposed to blame - his dog? Secondly, that's just a horrible strawman that you're trying to use to distract form the topic of conversation. And you just keep repeating his salary as if that means anything haha

I'll summarize the point for the 47th time, now in caps since apparently you struggle to read. THE WHOLE POINT IS MCGINN HAD A BAD YEAR LAST YEAR. EVERYBODY WHO MADE LESS THAN HIM HAD A BETTER YEAR. HE CAN BE EASILY REPLACED BY AN EQUAL OR BETTER PLAYER MAKING EQUAL OR LESS MONEY - THEREFORE HIS CONTRACT IS BAD. ALL OF THE EVIDENCE GIVEN BY ME IN THIS CONVERSATION PROVES IT. NOTHING YOU HAVE GIVEN PROVES OTHERWISE. THAT'S WHY PEOPLE WANT TO MOVE HIM. YOUR REFUSAL TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS ISN'T FUNNY, IT'S JUST SAD AND CONCERNING[/quote

Did I say ERod was a negative? Only reason I brought him up is because you said the PK was better off without him and seeing that whoever else was put on the PK really didn’t do a good job of helping with keeping the puck out of the net. Although Everything was a mess when he got PK time though just thinking about it now. But you did mention that the teams pk% was 81.5 in the 2nd half of the season but have you still not realized that that’s still top 10 in the league? Without Blueger for a month, with Jarry’s numbers in regression, inconsistency issues, and injuries here and there as well. And are you thinking that 81.5% isn’t good? Not to mention as said he did help improve the PK compared to where it was at in 2021 and that he helped keep that 4th line one of the best shutdown lines in the league. People do want him gone but it isn’t just cause of money. It’s because of guys like Poulin, O’Connor, and Puustinen all have played well in pre-season mostly. However it wouldn’t be worth moving a draft pick to move him. I didn’t say he had a good year last year? I did say he was good for the first few months. He was decent at best after that. Although I think I mixed up the shooting stats. However he still attempted more shots than Blueger, ZAR, and Boyle. And not to mention his shooting percentage was actually better than ERod but there’s no blaming him for that though. With the year he was having it’d be hard not to shoot the puck. His shooting percentage was higher than Blueger’s as well. Hell he had 8 goals and 4 assists before covid shutdown the league for a little bit. And at that point there was 30 games played with the PK% being at a high success rate. But after that that’s where things dropped for him offensively. But then again he was coming back from Covid and just never found that groove again. But he was still doing the defensive things the team needed out of him. He was still decent.
Oct. 14, 2022 at 5:17 p.m.

I'll summarize the point for the 47th time, now in caps since apparently you struggle to read. THE WHOLE POINT IS MCGINN HAD A BAD YEAR LAST YEAR. EVERYBODY WHO MADE LESS THAN HIM HAD A BETTER YEAR. HE CAN BE EASILY REPLACED BY AN EQUAL OR BETTER PLAYER MAKING EQUAL OR LESS MONEY - THEREFORE HIS CONTRACT IS BAD. ALL OF THE EVIDENCE GIVEN BY ME IN THIS CONVERSATION PROVES IT. NOTHING YOU HAVE GIVEN PROVES OTHERWISE. THAT'S WHY PEOPLE WANT TO MOVE HIM. YOUR REFUSAL TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS ISN'T FUNNY, IT'S JUST SAD AND CONCERNING

I don’t know why it quoted like that lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll