Forums/Armchair-GM

Hear Me Out

Created by: BruinsFan35
Team: 2023-24 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 12, 2022
Published: Dec. 12, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let's say, theoretically, that the Boston Bruins win the cup in 2022-23. I understand that there's a long way to go, but again, hear me out. Realistic scenario? NO. Fun thought? I think so.

The Bruins win the 2022-23 Stanley Cup, and Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, like Mark Recchi did in 2011 with the Bs, decide to hang up the skates. That leaves the Bruins in a fascinating spot, where most teams following cup wins look to form a dynasty, but they're also without the talent to do so. Also,, in this scenario, Pastrnak moves on following the playoffs, knowing that the Bruins won't be as talented without Bergy or Krejci. Here's how I'd handle the offseason.

In-house signings: First and foremost, almost every RFA in the AHL gets resigned to a two-way deal. The only ones that don't are Wolff and Wissmann. They walk in free agency, who cares. Also, ELCs are given to Mason Lohrei, Trevor Kuntar, Quinn Olson, and Matias Mantykivi. They'll all play for the P-Bruins in 2023-24, which is shaping up pretty nicely with prospects for their 2023-24 campaign, especially with the two-way deals handed out to Luke Toporowski and Justin Brazeau and with Brett Harrison reporting to the AHL from the OHL. Now, for the NHLers, Trent Frederic get's a healthy pay raise after putting up career numbers and flourishing under the Montgomery system. Jeremy Swayman, on the other hand, continued his early season struggles, was wholly passed by Vezina-candidate Linus Ullmark, and was given a 1 year bridge deal to see what he's capable of. He could be on the trade block with another poor showing in 2023-24. In terms of in-house UFAs, the Bruins would return Pavel Zacha, Connor Clifton, and Nick Foligno (imagine saying that 12 months ago lol) to the team, with everyone else walking to Free Agency.

The Trades:

The First Trade occurred at the 2023 NHL Entry Draft, were the Arizona Coyotes decided to part ways with struggling center Barrett Hayton in return for the Bruins' 2023 first round pick, Mike Reilly, and prospect Roman Bychkov. The Bruins also received, along with Hayton, receive the Coyotes 2023 3rd round selection. Barrett Hayton has struggled immensely for the Coyotes, but I think that as a reclamation project, he'd be a good pickup. Jim Montgomery has a history of taking young, talented, former first round centers who were struggling to find their game in the NHL and molding them into good players. Now, a first round pick, especially one in a class this good, is a lot to give up. But, especially with Mike Reilly and his almost 2 Million of cap space (when buried in the AHL) moving as well, it's the kind of high-risk, high-reward gamble I think is worth taking. After all, Hayton is a former top 10 pick. He could be a diamond in the rough. He has wing and center flexibility, which I'll touch on later, but it does help him fit into the team now, as well.

If there's any part of this that Bruins fans will hate, it'll probably be this: The Second Trade happened just after the Coyotes Trade, where the Bruins deal defenseman Brandon Carlo (I said hear me out) to the Seattle Kraken in exchange for their 2023 1st round pick (currently #23 OA) and prospect Ty Nelson. As explained in the trade, Brandon Carlo becomes a third pair defenseman for the Bruins, as McAvoy and Grzelcyk are the first pair, and Lindholm goes back together with surging Connor Clifton, which has already proven to be an excellent pairing. That leaves Brandon Carlo playing third pair with Derek Forbort, and that's a bad use of assets. So, the Bruins trade Brandon Carlo out west to a team in no need of sending cap back, who could certainly use a right side defender, especially one who plays defense as well as Carlo does, and in return, they lose the equivalent of two first round picks. Now, I really like Brandon Carlo. He's an elite player in his own end, and he's one of the best purely defensive-defenders in the NHL. But, is it smart to keep him if, like in this scenario which I'm not sure is wholly unrealistic should Monty decide to split up McAvoy and Lindholm, he's playing on the third pair? I think not, considering the a) high value which they could get in a trade for him and b) the lack of prospects in the Bruins system to reload with. Ty Nelson is an excellent defensive prospect who I'd projected as the third best defender in the 2022 class. He's been very good in the OHL this season, and projects as a top four defender. You also get a first round pick, which you just lost in the Hayton deal, and this class is a good one, so having the pick will be awesome. And a third pair defenseman who can get the job done (not as well as Carlo, but serviceable at least) will be fairly easy to find in Free Agency.

The Draft: With trades in mind, the Bruins would have the following picks (#OA taken from today's projections):

Round 1 #23 OA (from Seattle): Center/Wing Charlie Stramel
Round 3 #68 OA (from Arizona): Defender Nathan Drapeau
Round 3 #96 OA: Winger Mathieu Cataford
Round 4 #128 OA: Winger Oscar Fisker Molgaard
Round 5 #160 OA: Center Maddox Fleming
Round 6 #192 OA: Defender Kent Anderson
Round 7 #214 OA (From LA): Defender Daniil Ivanov
Round 7 #224 OA: Center Daniil Bourosh

Free Agency: With Krejci and Bergeron gone, the Bruins #1 need would be a top line center. The top option on the market is Bo Horvat, who the Bruins offer a 9x7 to join the reigning Cup Champs and play top line ice time. Secondly, the Bruins would need to address 3RD, with the Carlo trade and moving Clifton up to play with Lindholm full-time. I opted for Radko Gudas, who could play key defensive situations and provide physicality. a 3x1 didn't seem too bad, especially with the cap space that Boston has to work with. Outside of those two bigger signings, the Bruins only go for depth guys on two-way deals. I just kind of picked randomly guys who fit the bill, but go with whoever you want. The names themselves aren't overly important.

The Result:
Obviously, losing three top six forwards takes a huge toll on any team, and the Bruins are certainly, on paper, weaker than their current counterparts in this iteration. There would be no way to make this team as good as the current squad, with the insane pay cuts taken by their top two centers currently and Pastrnak needing a whole ton of money that I'm just not sure that Boston can afford in real life this coming offseason. Still, the team which I've put together is certainly competitive, and should be a playoff squad once again.

Forwards:
Top Line of Marchand-Horvat-Lysell: This line, obviously, looks the most different, with 2/3 of the guys being different than the current squad's "Perfection Line." Marchand, who now dons the 'C' on his sweater, flanks newcomer Bo Horvat, who, I think would fit in quite well as the 1C with Marchand. His game isn't all that dissimilar to Bergeron in his approach, and while Bergeron is still better than Horvat is, I think he's a very serviceable 1C at the very least. Lysell is the wild card here; I think that playing him with two highly talented veteran players would do wonders for his development. He's already NHL ready as I make this, and I expect him to gets me games in over the course of this season. He needs to be on the NHL roster next year, as he's ready right now. To play these minutes is a tall ask for a rookie, but I think he could manage it. If not, DeBrusk slides up to 1RW.
Second Line of Hall-Zacha-DeBrusk: This line has already played together in stints throughout the 2022-23 season, and always looks good together when they get the opportunity. This becomes the full-time second unit, and it's a good one at that. My one concern would be Zacha's ability to win draws, but when this line gets possession of the puck, they're a dangerous unit.

Third Line of Hayton-Coyle-Frederic: Coyle and Frederic already have good chemistry going, so no changes to that pair of guys. The newcomer, Hayton, at least starts the year as the 3LW. Hayton was drafted as a talented, 200 foot winger who transitioned to center and was known for having nice hands, a hard shot, and good edge work, who could use work with his first step acceleration and finding consistency. The consistency is still an issue in Arizona, but could that be a product of where he plays? Who he plays with? The amount of ice time he gets? With the move to Boston, it gives Hayton a fresh start on a a line with two responsible players who play hard and are capable of putting pucks in the net. If Hayton takes off, you could put him up as the 2C or 2LW, and move Zacha or Hall down to the 3LW.

Fourth Line of Greer-Beecher-Foligno: This is the kind of unit that fans fall in love with. All hard-nosed, gritty, forechecking players with two being very talented in their own end (Beecher and Foligno). Not a whole ton of points from this line, probably, but these guys could skate with anybody against them. This is the type of unit that you send out to stop opposing top units and create mismatches.

The defense and goalies are pretty self-explanatory, so I don't delve too deep into them.

Fire away, commenters
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$875,000
3$800,000
3$900,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
6$3,500,000
1$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
5$4,500,000
3$3,000,000
7$9,000,000
1$3,000,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Toporowski, Luke
3$800,000
Brazeau, Justin
3$800,000
Trades
BOS
    Assets moved at the Trade Deadline in 2022-23 for depth rentals
    ANA
    1. Gallagher, Ty [Reserve List]
    2. Gasseau, Andre [Reserve List]
    3. 2024 3rd round pick (BOS)
    BOS
    1. Hayton, Barrett
    2. 2023 3rd round pick (ARI)
    ARI
    1. Bychkov, Roman [Reserve List]
    2. Reilly, Mike
    3. 2023 1st round pick (BOS)
    BOS
    1. Nelson, Ty [Reserve List]
    2. 2023 1st round pick (SEA)
    Additional Details:
    The Equivalent of 2 first round picks for a proven, talented shutdown top four NHL defender well on the right side of 30.
    SEA
    1. Carlo, Brandon
    Additional Details:
    With Clifton-Lindholm working wonders as a pairing, and McAvoy being among the very best defensemen in the NHL, Carlo is pushed to the third pair. Better to move him and get a great package back fro him, I think.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the SEA
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$86,000,000$87,375,833$4,500,000$0-$1,375,833

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $863,333$863,333
    RW
    RFA - 3
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 4
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
    $1,775,000$1,775,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,687,500$3,687,500
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 7
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LD
    NTC, NMC
    UFA - 7
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $800,000$800,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $1,137,500$1,137,500
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Dec. 12, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
    I think the bruins are going to do everything in their power to Re-Sign Pasta. No excuse to lose a home grown talent like that who is one of the best players in the entire league. The cap will be a problem but they will have to figure that one out.

Only the Boston Red Sox like to not pay their home grown talent in this city.
    BruinsFan35 liked this.
    Dec. 12, 2022 at 2:19 p.m.
    Quoting: Natebarrette
    I think the bruins are going to do everything in their power to Re-Sign Pasta. No excuse to lose a home grown talent like that who is one of the best players in the entire league. The cap will be a problem but they will have to figure that one out.

Only the Boston Red Sox like to not pay their home grown talent in this city.

I agree, and I hope you're right. Like I said at the beginning, ridiculous scenario.

However, should the Bruins win the cup and be without their top two centers, like I've addressed above, and Pasta wants to move on, I think it's best to part ways. He's in his prime and probably won't want to be on a team who's potentially going through a rebuild. In that case, the best-case scenario for Boston would be a sign-and-trade, to get value and still move him to a contender.
    Natebarrette liked this.
    Dec. 12, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
    This puts them in that gray zone of not good enough to contend, not bad enough to build. I don’t particularly see a way out of it either.
    Dec. 12, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.
    Quoting: DefenseFirst
    This puts them in that gray zone of not good enough to contend, not bad enough to build. I don’t particularly see a way out of it either.

Really? I think that this team is pretty good. Maybe not cup winners good, but definitely second round caliber. The biggest question mark is Lysell. Team defense and goaltending are fantastic, but they need an elite scorer next to Marchand. If that can be Lysell out of the gate, then this team is great. If not, than you can probably write them off in the first round.

AND you add a better first round prospect and a 2022 first rounder for the future.
    Dec. 12, 2022 at 3:33 p.m.
    Swayman isn't signing that.
    Dec. 12, 2022 at 3:35 p.m.
    Quoting: ON3M4N
    Swayman isn't signing that.

There’s 3 million in extra cap space here. You could add what ever you think Sway needs in order to sign.

That being said, what should he make? This assuming that he continues his inconsistent play throughout the season. A bridge deal is fair, i think. A cap is up in the air, but I wouldn’t do more than 2 years.
    Dec. 12, 2022 at 3:36 p.m.
    Quoting: BruinsFan35
    Really? I think that this team is pretty good. Maybe not cup winners good, but definitely second round caliber. The biggest question mark is Lysell. Team defense and goaltending are fantastic, but they need an elite scorer next to Marchand. If that can be Lysell out of the gate, then this team is great. If not, than you can probably write them off in the first round.

AND you add a better first round prospect and a 2022 first rounder for the future.

What’s the point of building a team that maybe could be a second round team? I don’t see it.

The biggest question mark isn’t lysell, it’s whether or not zacha can be a legitimate 2C.
    D is worse
    Center is worse
    RW is worse.

I think this team is really mediocre.
    Dec. 12, 2022 at 3:40 p.m.
    Quoting: BruinsFan35
    There’s 3 million in extra cap space here. You could add what ever you think Sway needs in order to sign.

That being said, what should he make? This assuming that he continues his inconsistent play throughout the season. A bridge deal is fair, i think. A cap is up in the air, but I wouldn’t do more than 2 years.

This one season won't define what he makes, it'll be based on his body of work over the last 3 years. Based on that, he's looking at an AVV similar to Knight & Oettinger

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll