Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 26, 2023 at 4:53 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: gmgb
If all defencemen decline due to age equally, why did the Leafs give a 38 year old Giordano a two year deal this past summer?

OK now you're complaining about not enough toughness? At least stay consistent, please.

You can't be serious comparing Gio to Ekholm. One of those two makes 5.75 million less a season to be pretty much as effective as the guy making more. Are you sure you want to keep going? Maybe stick to talking about those stupid leaf fans with your homer buddies while hoping they don't see you're lobbing insults around. What a conversation
Jan. 26, 2023 at 5:42 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
The number of defenceman playing past 32 has dropped every year since the last lockout. It's a young man's game and everyone declines in their 30's. It's biology. You are right, TO has no need on defence. Which is why taking on a risky contract that already looks bad, is just insane. Pump Ekholm's tires all you want. It doesn't matter, he's not worth what you think. It's a cap league and paying guys for what they used to be able to do while they decline is just dumb. It happens all the time and Ekholm is another example. He may be a decent player still but you can get way better value than his 6.25 million dollar contract. Sandin for example offers way way way more value for his 1.4 million dollar cap hit. It's pretty easy to understand why I am arguing against this trade as you yourself have admitted, it doesn't make sense for TO. So perhaps next time just understand that part of the discussion and refrain from lobbing insults because someone hurt your feelings for not wanting to take on a bad contract. And yes there is no way around it. Paying a 2nd pair defenceman their biggest contract of their career until they are 36 is a bad contract. Sure it's not Vlasic bad but it's certainly not a good one. He should have been paid this much from 25-30 not in his 30's. Just like JT Miller getting his biggest contract of his life as he turns 30, there is no way for an aging player to make it look good as he declines. Perry, Toews, McDonagh, Ladd, Neal etc etc. Just look at what happened to all of those guys. Do you honestly believe that Ekholm at 34 isn't going to show a decline? Almost everyone does. But I guess me being a terrible homer just makes that up eh?

You know, despite all of this, I'm actually surprised. I figured you at LEAST knew how to read.
He's not a "2nd pairing player" if he logs 21+ minutes a night. That's probably 22-23+ without Josi.

The whole problem with what you're saying is speculations. Ekholm hasn't slowed down, and continues to prove his a top pairing, shutdown player.
Everything you are saying is based off of speculations.
"This players old and bad, so Ekholm will be old and bad"

Sorry, but the court of public opinion has declared you a homer. And honestly, I agree with it.

Yeah because a team that can't sell out a 5 thousand seat arena is going to give him the spotlight he craves. What a joke

Yeah.. true. All those first round spotlights. Must be loving it.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 5:43 p.m.
You can't be serious comparing Gio to Ekholm. One of those two makes 5.75 million less a season to be pretty much as effective as the guy making more. Are you sure you want to keep going? Maybe stick to talking about those stupid leaf fans with your homer buddies while hoping they don't see you're lobbing insults around. What a conversation

You are a sad, angry little man.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 5:46 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: EvanderKanesLawyer
You know, despite all of this, I'm actually surprised. I figured you at LEAST knew how to read.
He's not a "2nd pairing player" if he logs 21+ minutes a night. That's probably 22-23+ without Josi.

The whole problem with what you're saying is speculations. Ekholm hasn't slowed down, and continues to prove his a top pairing, shutdown player.
Everything you are saying is based off of speculations.
"This players old and bad, so Ekholm will be old and bad"

Sorry, but the court of public opinion has declared you a homer. And honestly, I agree with it.

Yeah.. true. All those first round spotlights. Must be loving it.

He's certainly not who he was 3 or 4 years ago and he won't keep it going. Which is why his 6.25 million dollar contract is a bad idea. TO is in fact better defensively than Nashville. It is a fact so why ever, would they move out major assets that provide way more value and helped them become the 3rd best team in the league defensively for a 32 year old with 4 more years who makes 6.25 million? Why? I don't care how much you love him, why would TO or any contender up against trh cap, consider adding a guy that will be a cap anchor in the very very near future. His decline could hit at anytime and it won't be pretty.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 5:48 p.m.
Rip
You are a sad, angry little man.

I am thrilled to see the Leafs become a top defensive team this year. Super happy about it, I am hopeful they don't add bad contracts from bubble teams that will handcuff their cap ahead of signing Matthews and Nylander.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 5:48 p.m.
He's certainly not who he was 3 or 4 years ago and he won't keep it going. Which is why his 6.25 million dollar contract is a bad idea. TO is in fact better defensively than Nashville. It is a fact so why ever, would they move out major assets that provide way more value and helped them become the 3rd best team in the league defensively for a 32 year old with 4 more years who makes 6.25 million? Why? I don't care how much you love him, why would TO or any contender up against trh cap, consider adding a guy that will be a cap anchor in the very very near future. His decline could hit at anytime and it won't be pretty.

Thats... dude... I literally said Toronto doesn't need him. Why are you still arguing with yourself.

You're too invested in this, man. Go drink a glass or water or something, stretch it out, take a walk.
gmgb liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 5:56 p.m.
Rip
Thats... dude... I literally said Toronto doesn't need him. Why are you still arguing with yourself.

You're too invested in this, man. Go drink a glass or water or something, stretch it out, take a walk.

Ah this right turn now, eh? Just going to try to flip this into something it isn't after you are soundly beaten. Typical.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.
Ah this right turn now, eh? Just going to try to flip this into something it isn't after you are soundly beaten. Typical.

you need to go outside man
gmgb liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 6:10 p.m.

My brother in christ.
We mutually agreed. Ekholm is not a good fit on Toronto. I don't know who you're still trying to convince, or what point you're trying to prove.

Like I said, you are way too emotionally invested in this conversation. Genuinely. I was making half-arsed jokes and it very clearly has been rubbing you the wrong way.

I don't care if you think I'm wrong, or if I'm "soundly beaten". You are a random on the internet, and so am I. None of this means anything.
Stop taking everything at face value and log off for a day or two. You need it.
glaive and gmgb liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 6:13 p.m.
Quoting: gmgb
Can I ask how you became a Toronto based Preds fan? There aren't a lot of us. For me, I grew up in WPG and was a fan of the OG Jets. When they relocated I didn't pick a new team to support for awhile. Just kind of watched whatever looked like the best game that night, regardless of the teams. I missed having a team to get behind though. After a couple years I decided I'd get a fresh start with one of the new expansion teams from that time. Get behind a new franchise, as they started from nothing. The Preds had a badass logo, and a good Manitoba boy coaching them, so they were my pick. Ironically, if I went with the Thrashers then, I guess I'd be a Jets fan all over again.

for sure.

growing up outside TO, my family was always full of leaf fans. my dad introduced me to hockey at a very young age, and I began playing and watching.
At sometime around the age of 6, my parents took me on a road trip to nashville to see the preds play. and instantly, i fell in love with the city, crowd, atmosphere, arena, etc.
Ever since then, that was all she wrote. been a fan ever since.
gmgb liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.

You argue Ekholm's too old. I refute that with an example of the Leafs signing a much older defenceman. So then you change the topic to salary. If I were to point out that TOR gave Reilly a contract until he's 36 that's more expensive than Ekholm's, how would you deflect from that?

I enjoy a good debate in these forums, but I'm sorry you haven't proven yourself to be capable of it. You are correct about one thing - no, I don't want to keep going at this with you. Please take EKL's advice and get some air. Find something to do that brings you happiness. Clearly these forums aren't what does for you.
Ennis liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 6:28 p.m.
Quoting: PhilsWeiner
for sure.

growing up outside TO, my family was always full of leaf fans. my dad introduced me to hockey at a very young age, and I began playing and watching.
At sometime around the age of 6, my parents took me on a road trip to nashville to see the preds play. and instantly, i fell in love with the city, crowd, atmosphere, arena, etc.
Ever since then, that was all she wrote. been a fan ever since.

Nice! I still haven't made it to NSH yet. It's the top American city on my bucket list though.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 8:24 p.m.
Rip
My brother in christ.
We mutually agreed. Ekholm is not a good fit on Toronto. I don't know who you're still trying to convince, or what point you're trying to prove.

Like I said, you are way too emotionally invested in this conversation. Genuinely. I was making half-arsed jokes and it very clearly has been rubbing you the wrong way.

I don't care if you think I'm wrong, or if I'm "soundly beaten". You are a random on the internet, and so am I. None of this means anything.
Stop taking everything at face value and log off for a day or two. You need it.

Cool

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll