Leafs TDL and Playoff Lines

Created by: UpsideDownQue
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 30, 2023
Published: Jan. 30, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
TOR
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler ($2,375,000 retained)
DET
  1. Voit, Ty
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (TOR)
STL
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (OTT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$80,123,746$212,500$0$2,376,254
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$0$0
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$827,500$827,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 30, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
I know Bert’s value isn’t at its peak right now so, with that being said; we’ll probably hang onto him if that’s the best offer out there.
aedoran and DeadWingsv2 liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 1:51 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
The odds go up every day that Bertuzzi signs a 1 year "show me" extension to raise his value for a UFA payday in 2024. There's no incentive for Detroit to sell low, or for Bertuzzi to go to UFA at this point. His best bet, is to take a reasonable 1 year bridge, to raise his value and cash in after a full season without fluke broken hands from pucks.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
Quoting: IDKtbh
I know Bert’s value isn’t at its peak right now so, with that being said; we’ll probably hang onto him if that’s the best offer out there.

Quoting: DeadWingsv2
The odds go up every day that Bertuzzi signs a 1 year "show me" extension to raise his value for a UFA payday in 2024. There's no incentive for Detroit to sell low, or for Bertuzzi to go to UFA at this point. His best bet, is to take a reasonable 1 year bridge, to raise his value and cash in after a full season without fluke broken hands from pucks.

I admit I dont know the specifics but why would he sign the 1 year "show me" deal with DET? Wouldnt it make sense to take a 1 year deal from a better team to give him the best chance of increasing his production so he could cash in in 2024?

Look at what Evander Kane did - signed a 1 year deal with EDM and got to play with McDavid which led to a big contract. If Bertuzzi can find a team like TOR/PIT/EDM/FLA/etc to sign with then he could get to play with Matthews/Tavares/Crosby/Malkin/McDavid/Draisaitl/Barkov for a year to boost his value
Jan. 30, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
I admit I dont know the specifics but why would he sign the 1 year "show me" deal with DET? Wouldnt it make sense to take a 1 year deal from a better team to give him the best chance of increasing his production so he could cash in in 2024?

Look at what Evander Kane did - signed a 1 year deal with EDM and got to play with McDavid which led to a big contract. If Bertuzzi can find a team like TOR/PIT/EDM/FLA/etc to sign with then he could get to play with Matthews/Tavares/Crosby/Malkin/McDavid/Draisaitl/Barkov for a year to boost his value

Because Detroit can give him FAR more money on a 1 year deal AND he would get a big role, as well as the fact that hockey players hate moving their ****.
IDKtbh liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
Because Detroit can give him FAR more money on a 1 year deal AND he would get a big role, as well as the fact that hockey players hate moving their ****.

If I was Bertuzzi I would at least wait until July 1st to see all my options. If Larkin extends then I would still consider staying in Detroit but I think taking less money on a 1 year deal to play with an elite C could benefit him financially in the long term
Jan. 30, 2023 at 2:32 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
If I was Bertuzzi I would at least wait until July 1st to see all my options. If Larkin extends then I would still consider staying in Detroit but I think taking less money on a 1 year deal to play with an elite C could benefit him financially in the long term

That's a big risk in itself and often doesn't work out. How is Klingberg's gamble to go to the "up and coming" Ducks, going? Then there was Taylor Hall's 1 year Buffalo experiment was going terribly before he fortunately got dealt to Arizona and turned it around enough to salvage his next deal (still probably left term on the table because of that). Better, the devil you know (proverbially speaking)...
Jan. 30, 2023 at 2:36 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Pass, Yzerman has no interest in 5'9" 151 winger and a late 2nd. For that we'll just re-sign Bertuzzi to a cheap 1 or 2 year deal.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 2:41 p.m.
That's a big risk in itself and often doesn't work out. How is Klingberg's gamble to go to the "up and coming" Ducks, going? Then there was Taylor Hall's 1 year Buffalo experiment was going terribly before he fortunately got dealt to Arizona and turned it around enough to salvage his next deal (still probably left term on the table because of that). Better, the devil you know (proverbially speaking)...

Hall and Klingberg got high $$$ 1 year deals on bad teams. Thats the opposite of what im suggesting - he should go low $$$ on a good team where he has exposure to an elite C. How much more is DET realistically going to pay him on a 1 year deal compared to another team, 2-3M? I think playing with a guy like Matthews is going to increase his future earnings by much more than that over the course of a long term deal
Jan. 30, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
Hall and Klingberg got high $$$ 1 year deals on bad teams. Thats the opposite of what im suggesting - he should go low $$$ on a good team where he has exposure to an elite C. How much more is DET realistically going to pay him on a 1 year deal compared to another team, 2-3M? I think playing with a guy like Matthews is going to increase his future earnings by much more than that over the course of a long term deal

Hall went to play with Jack Eichel...
Jan. 30, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
Hall went to play with Jack Eichel...

Buffalo had a 0.493P% the year before and Eichel was injured and only played 21 games. I dont think thats the same as going to an top team with multiple elite Cs
Jan. 30, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
Buffalo had a 0.493P% the year before and Eichel was injured and only played 21 games. I dont think thats the same as going to an top team with multiple elite Cs

He didn't go into that contract expecting Eichel to get hurt... that's exactly my point, that's a big gamble for uncertainty, when you already know what you have, especially when these are still people and they don't want to uproot their families for a one year roll of the dice...
Jan. 30, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.
He didn't go into that contract expecting Eichel to get hurt... that's exactly my point, that's a big gamble for uncertainty, when you already know what you have, especially when these are still people and they don't want to uproot their families for a one year roll of the dice...

The only similarity between Hall to BUF is having Eichel as a C, youre ignoring that the team was also terrible before he signed and Hall took a high $$$ contract which prevented BUF from adding more talent around him. Eichel was the only elite C they had and the rest of the forwards were meh. Its completely different from taking less money from an elite team with multiple elite players for him to play with

Using TOR as an example: Bertuzzi going to TOR which has multiple top Cs in Matthews and Tavares plus top RWs in Marner and Nylander pretty much guarantees he will have elite linemates even if there are some injuries
Jan. 30, 2023 at 3:14 p.m.
Quoting: IDKtbh

You’d rather your GM not move him for some sort of asset than risk him walking for nothing?
Jan. 30, 2023 at 3:18 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyIsMyPassion61
Pass, Yzerman has no interest in 5'9" 151 winger and a late 2nd. For that we'll just re-sign Bertuzzi to a cheap 1 or 2 year deal.

What if he doesn’t want to resign?
Jan. 30, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
The only similarity between Hall to BUF is having Eichel as a C, youre ignoring that the team was also terrible before he signed and Hall took a high $$$ contract which prevented BUF from adding more talent around him. Eichel was the only elite C they had and the rest of the forwards were meh. Its completely different from taking less money from an elite team with multiple elite players for him to play with

Using TOR as an example: Bertuzzi going to TOR which has multiple top Cs in Matthews and Tavares plus top RWs in Marner and Nylander pretty much guarantees he will have elite linemates even if there are some injuries

That logic is flawed, because now he's competing for ice time AND he'd have to take less money next season, by a LOT... what if he has a career ending injury next year? That 2m contract isn't going to pad the bank like the 1 yr, 6m contract he'd get in Detroit. It's just bad planning...
Jan. 30, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
That logic is flawed, because now he's competing for ice time AND he'd have to take less money next season, by a LOT... what if he has a career ending injury next year? That 2m contract isn't going to pad the bank like the 1 yr, 6m contract he'd get in Detroit. It's just bad planning...

Matthews/Tavares are Cs and Marner/Nylander are RWs. Bertuzzi would have almost no competition to get a top 6 LW spot

If hes scared of a career ending injury then he wouldnt sign a 1 year deal at all, he would want term regardless of who he signs with

If the salary difference is that big I think going back to DET would be a good option (as long as Larkin extends too), but I dont think DET would offer 1x6M after this season - that seems crazy high to me considering how he played. If the salary difference isnt so extreme I think playing with Matthews could increase his earning potential on his next contract by more than enough to make up for it
Jan. 30, 2023 at 5:34 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: SNipeSHowInc
You’d rather your GM not move him for some sort of asset than risk him walking for nothing?

No, I’d rather extend him for another year and look into trading him next season. If his market is low for trade, it would indicate his contract value would be lower than he’d like so both he and the Red Wings could benefit from a one year pact.
DeadWingsv2 liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 5:40 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
Matthews/Tavares are Cs and Marner/Nylander are RWs. Bertuzzi would have almost no competition to get a top 6 LW spot

If hes scared of a career ending injury then he wouldnt sign a 1 year deal at all, he would want term regardless of who he signs with

If the salary difference is that big I think going back to DET would be a good option (as long as Larkin extends too), but I dont think DET would offer 1x6M after this season - that seems crazy high to me considering how he played. If the salary difference isnt so extreme I think playing with Matthews could increase his earning potential on his next contract by more than enough to make up for it

To deal with the Toronto media, move his family, pack up his ****, guarantee nothing and make less... there is no more reason to take a 1 year deal anywhere else than in Detroit.

I'm also saying it *would* be 6m on a 1 year deal, but it could, we have the capspace
Jan. 30, 2023 at 6:11 p.m.
To deal with the Toronto media, move his family, pack up his ****, guarantee nothing and make less... there is no more reason to take a 1 year deal anywhere else than in Detroit.

I'm also saying it *would* be 6m on a 1 year deal, but it could, we have the capspace

Obviously I dont know Bertuzzi personally but I dont think its unreasonable to say that he may be willing to move if it was a better career opportunity. Maybe he really likes it in DET and wants to stay but if I was him I would be looking elsewhere too. Plus if the idea of signing a 1 year deal with DET is to increase value for 2024 UFA then what difference does it make if he moves his family now vs later?

DET has the space and they can use 6M on Bertuzzi but I dont think its realistic for them to spend that on a guy with 5 points in 17 games. DET could also offer him 10M but it doesnt mean they will. I think were talking about a range of 2-4M if he goes for a 1 year deal. TOR can probably afford to spend 3M on him anyway which is pretty reasonable imo and gives him a much better opportunity to succeed
Jan. 30, 2023 at 6:18 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
Obviously I dont know Bertuzzi personally but I dont think its unreasonable to say that he may be willing to move if it was a better career opportunity. Maybe he really likes it in DET and wants to stay but if I was him I would be looking elsewhere too. Plus if the idea of signing a 1 year deal with DET is to increase value for 2024 UFA then what difference does it make if he moves his family now vs later?

DET has the space and they can use 6M on Bertuzzi but I dont think its realistic for them to spend that on a guy with 5 points in 17 games. DET could also offer him 10M but it doesnt mean they will. I think were talking about a range of 2-4M if he goes for a 1 year deal. TOR can probably afford to spend 3M on him anyway which is pretty reasonable imo and gives him a much better opportunity to succeed

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I don't think signing with Toronto is a better chance to succeed. Just because they've done better in the regular season doesn't mean it would be a good fit for him and that's a big gamble, when he knows what he's capable of in Detroit (almost a PPG player last season)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll