SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

What if Auston doesnt sign this summer

Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 17, 2023
Published: Mar. 17, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Curious to know fans' thoughts from Ari and Tor.
Note: This trade only happens if ARZ gets 2,3 or 4 overall in this year's draft, and if Tor cannot sign Matthews to an extension before the draft.
Trades
TOR
  1. Schmaltz, Nick
  2. Söderström, Victor
  3. Välimäki, Juuso
  4. 2023 1st round pick (ARI)
Additional Details:
This trade only happens if this pick is 2,3 or 4 overall
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
26$83,500,000$78,053,496$212,500$630,000$5,446,504
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$834,167$834,167
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$5,850,000$5,850,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$630,000$630K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
$1,550,000$1,550,000
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 17, 2023 at 3:07 p.m.
Quoting: Ste_Catherine_Street
"both arent on his tier",assinine statement So Kucherov McDavid and Draisatl haven't been traded. So Mathews can't 🙄

I added that guy to my ignore list. He's just trolling from the 407[/quote]

weaaaaaaaaaak lmao
Mar. 17, 2023 at 3:34 p.m.
Quoting: Herb_Brooks
"both arent on his tier",assinine statement So Kucherov McDavid and Draisatl haven't been traded. So Mathews can't 🙄

crosby, ovechkin, malkin, mackinnon, stamkos, those are all players who were top 5 nhl players who were in competitive windows and werent traded, those players dont get traded. the NHL isnt the NBA[/quote]

How'd the isles not trading Taveras work out for them just as I hope Mathews not being traded goes for Toronto bad luck to them.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.

I added that guy to my ignore list. He's just trolling from the 407[/quote]
What's your beef with Central Florida?
Mar. 17, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
Quoting: Boltsbeathabs
crosby, ovechkin, malkin, mackinnon, stamkos, those are all players who were top 5 nhl players who were in competitive windows and werent traded, those players dont get traded. the NHL isnt the NBA

How'd the isles not trading Taveras work out for them just as I hope Mathews not being traded goes for Toronto bad luck to them.[/quote]

are the isles at the time in the same boat as the leafs are now? are the coyotes in the same boat now as the leafs were when tavares signed there?
Mar. 17, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
I disagree. Gretzky, Ron Francis, Messier, Shanahan, Panarin, Shea Weber, Taylor Hall, Matthew Tkachuck...
Sometimes you have to make a trade, for financial or competitive reasons...

Toronto doesn't have financial reasons to make a trade, or competitive ones.
The salary cap era players you name aren't exactly lined up with being top 5 players in the world, or the same situations.

Panarin was still a rising star, and getting priced out of CHI, and got Saad in return. Panarins arc continued upward.
Weber was moved due to his term / contract, AND got PK back.
Hall was a 1st overall disappointment (however talented), & Edmonton was garbage and getting McJesus- they needed to makeover the roster to suit.
Tkachuk was RFA, and unhappy how they were handling the roster-- Calgary had some control, but he held the cards. He could wait for a QO, and then sign wherever he wanted and force Calgary to either match or take compensation. AND he got Huberdeau & Weegar in return.
Eichel was disgruntled, AND injured, and got a haul.
Karlsson wanted out of OTT & got a haul.
O'Reilly wanted out of Buffalo & got a haul.

None of these are top 5 players in the world, 25 years old, on good/competitive teams, on a financially stable franchise.
Herb_Brooks liked this.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.
How'd the isles not trading Taveras work out for them just as I hope Mathews not being traded goes for Toronto bad luck to them.

are the isles at the time in the same boat as the leafs are now? are the coyotes in the same boat now as the leafs were when tavares signed there?[/quote]

are the isles at the time in the same boat as the leafs are now? are the coyotes in the same boat now as the leafs were when tavares signed there?[/quote]

No they were however, in a very similar position when they were lied to and got screwed over by Tavares. It cost them too.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
Quoting: Rage44
The salary cap era players you name aren't exactly lined up with being top 5 players in the world, or the same situations.

Panarin was still a rising star, and getting priced out of CHI, and got Saad in return. Panarins arc continued upward.
Hall was a 1st overall disappointment (however talented), & Edmonton was garbage and getting McJesus- they needed to makeover the roster to suit.
Tkachuk was RFA, and unhappy how they were handling the roster-- Calgary had some control, but he held the cards. He could wait for a QO, and then sign wherever he wanted and force Calgary to either match or take compensation. AND he got Huberdeau & Weegar in return.

None of these are top 5 players in the world, 25 years old, on good/competitive teams, on a financially stable franchise.

finally somebody with common sense
Mar. 17, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
Quoting: Boltsbeathabs
are the isles at the time in the same boat as the leafs are now? are the coyotes in the same boat now as the leafs were when tavares signed there?

No they were however, in a very similar position when they were lied to and got screwed over by Tavares. It cost them too.[/quote]

not really because the leafs are contending and the isles werent a playoff team
Mar. 18, 2023 at 4:23 a.m.
Quoting: Rage44

Well, ok- i'll be brief because you have lots there.
First, the Leafs would absolutely have competitive reasons to trade AM if they knew they couldn't sign him. You can't let him go for free.
Second, you can't compare every single team, 32 different reasons/situations. Earlier someone said there are no comparables to an AM trade.
Third, are you really going to say AM is an untouchable top5 in the league and Panarin and Tkachuk aren't? Stop talking about where they are development wise. Tkachuk was traded like 7 months ago and he's in his prime. Chicago/Calgary/Toronto would all have been in the same place (in terms of team competitiveness) if Tor were to hypothetically trade him this summer.

I made this post hoping to hear what people thought in terms of price tag, instead of hearing about all the "NO's".

I get AM is probably the best Leaf ever, but Tor will have a real big problem this summer WHEN AM is 1) not extended, 2) has a full NM, 3) refuses to negotiate in-season. Because this will happen.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 3:26 p.m.
Well, ok- i'll be brief because you have lots there.
First, the Leafs would absolutely have competitive reasons to trade AM if they knew they couldn't sign him. You can't let him go for free.
Second, you can't compare every single team, 32 different reasons/situations. Earlier someone said there are no comparables to an AM trade.
Third, are you really going to say AM is an untouchable top5 in the league and Panarin and Tkachuk aren't? Stop talking about where they are development wise. Tkachuk was traded like 7 months ago and he's in his prime. Chicago/Calgary/Toronto would all have been in the same place (in terms of team competitiveness) if Tor were to hypothetically trade him this summer.
I made this post hoping to hear what people thought in terms of price tag, instead of hearing about all the "NO's".
I get AM is probably the best Leaf ever, but Tor will have a real big problem this summer WHEN AM is 1) not extended, 2) has a full NM, 3) refuses to negotiate in-season. Because this will happen.

Are you seriously pegging Panarin as top 5 in the league? Tkachuk you could make an outside argument for him being really close... but Panarin, who is absolutely a superstar, is not in that conversation- not even top 15.
His price tag, even as wild speculation, is much higher than your proposed trade. Think in comparison of the Tkachuk trade, (same age, same draft) who got a 115 pt top line player, top 4 D man, 1st round pick. IMO, this would be the starting point-- Anyone making the trade would be guaranteed a full year with him, and have immediate negotiating rights to extend.

Obviously they won't want to let him walk, but unless he's said directly that there is a 0% chance of him re-signing, then TOR has to play it out. IMO, even if he says so directly, they might have to take 1 more run at it with him. The team is built to compete now, trading off AM34 closes the window for JT & potentially Marner, Willy, others.

Personally, I would play out his deal and let him walk before making a trade like this. I'm sure someone could put together a compelling package, but in the Salary Cap era, I have a tough time seeing anyone have the assets to make it worthwhile.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 4:19 p.m.
The whole idea that Arizona would be in the market for expensive rental players is incredibly naive.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll