Forums/Armchair-GM

Playoffs with simple fixes

Created by: Pensman69
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: May 1, 2023
Published: May 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let the young guns play, buff up the defense with Grzelyck, add some more scoring and depth with Bertuzzi who we have been rumored to have interest in prior to previous trade deadline and etc.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,800,000
5$6,000,000
Trades
BOS
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (NJD)
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$75,069,758$0$0$7,430,242
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$900,000$900,000
LW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
UFA - 5
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C
RFA
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 1, 2023 at 3:22 p.m.
That's not an impressive lineup. Buffalo will catch this team, as will many others that make their jump. Pittsburgh can't be "just" as good as last year as the other teams that also just miss are improving at a faster rate.
May 1, 2023 at 3:34 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: NJDevils1317
That's not an impressive lineup. Buffalo will catch this team, as will many others that make their jump. Pittsburgh can't be "just" as good as last year as the other teams that also just miss are improving at a faster rate.

I disagree, while yes other teams are making their jump this isn’t “just as good” as last year’s lineup. This team is younger, faster, better defensively, and has more depth. We have the cap to make moves and yea you could probably replace 1 or 2 of Puustinen/Carter/Granlund with better players and I think that gets us a 2-3 matchup in the East, us being the 3 seed.

Ideally this is the standings I’m predicting for next season in the East:

Atlantic
TOR
FLA
BUF
————
TBL
OTT
DET
BOS
MTL

Metro
NJD
CAR
PIT
NYR
WSH
———
CBJ
NYI
PHI
May 1, 2023 at 7:52 p.m.
Quoting: Pensman69
I disagree, while yes other teams are making their jump this isn’t “just as good” as last year’s lineup. This team is younger, faster, better defensively, and has more depth. We have the cap to make moves and yea you could probably replace 1 or 2 of Puustinen/Carter/Granlund with better players and I think that gets us a 2-3 matchup in the East, us being the 3 seed.

Ideally this is the standings I’m predicting for next season in the East:

Atlantic
TOR
FLA
BUF
————
TBL
OTT
DET
BOS
MTL

Metro
NJD
CAR
PIT
NYR
WSH
———
CBJ
NYI
PHI

You honestly think Bertuzzi goes for just $6m and will go to a team that MAYBE is in the playoff picture.

There is no way that lineup is better than the Rangers. I do think this year is when the Rangers plateau....they will be good as long as they have Shesty, but I don't know how PIT jumps NYI, let alone CBJ. I feel NYI is that constant bubble team. I get TB is in decline, but they aren't falling faster than PIT.
May 1, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: NJDevils1317
You honestly think Bertuzzi goes for just $6m and will go to a team that MAYBE is in the playoff picture.

There is no way that lineup is better than the Rangers. I do think this year is when the Rangers plateau....they will be good as long as they have Shesty, but I don't know how PIT jumps NYI, let alone CBJ. I feel NYI is that constant bubble team. I get TB is in decline, but they aren't falling faster than PIT.

Yep $6m is the most he’s gonna command and he’ll go to the team that pays him and gives him the terms he’s satisfied with, I’d assume.

And with a better defense core in front of Jarry, more scoring and speed, and the way Sullivan can will this team through the seasons on runs I think it’s entirely possible to think we sneak into 3rd ahead of NYR by a couple points.

NYI are a fringe playoff team and are likely in need of a retool but Lou doesn’t like to change his core so in that case the Isles aren’t really going to improve all that much, we can beat them in the standings.

CBJ has a LOT of work to do in more than one offseason’s work. No way they finish ahead of us or NYR.

TBL is going to have some tough competition in that division against young, fast, upcoming teams like DET, OTT, BUF and of those that are still going to be very much competitive of TOR, FLA.

Metro is 100% more wide open and there’s more of a crack at the top 4 without a doubt.
May 1, 2023 at 8:04 p.m.
Pens71
I agree and disagree with things said and done here:

1. Bertuzzi going for 6mil is pretty reasonable I think.
2. Pens have a chance to be better then the Rangers. Rangers have some cap issues going into next season, might lose some guys.
3. in regards to this lineup, not a huge fan of the lines. I think Sully would do the lines differently, but I agree with you on the players. Also, I am personally not a huge fan of Bertuzzi, but I wouldnt complain if signed him.
4. I know people want to give Granlund another chance but I personally don't. I know it will tough to get rid of him, so its most likely we keep him unfortunately. Also, I really hope we dont keep Jarry, But again, it might be our only option to give him another chance. Alot of hoping and praying that certain players play better than last season for this team to do well.
Pensman69 liked this.
May 1, 2023 at 8:13 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: fmaximilian
I agree and disagree with things said and done here:

1. Bertuzzi going for 6mil is pretty reasonable I think.
2. Pens have a chance to be better then the Rangers. Rangers have some cap issues going into next season, might lose some guys.
3. in regards to this lineup, not a huge fan of the lines. I think Sully would do the lines differently, but I agree with you on the players. Also, I am personally not a huge fan of Bertuzzi, but I wouldnt complain if signed him.
4. I know people want to give Granlund another chance but I personally don't. I know it will tough to get rid of him, so its most likely we keep him unfortunately. Also, I really hope we dont keep Jarry, But again, it might be our only option to give him another chance. Alot of hoping and praying that certain players play better than last season for this team to do well.

I agree, I think with the right moves we are absolutely capable of sneaking past NYR in the standings.

Also, reasoning on you not being a Berts fan? I personally love his game, he’s a pure playmaker and would fit in like a glove on our roster imo

I think Jarry isn’t the problem atm. He’s had just 1 real playoff showing where it was his debut that he got out of the way and then was thrown in a game 7 obviously not 100%. Outside of that he has given us solid goaltending on a pretty consistent basis and is young. I think we give him a prove it deal with the injury history and see where that takes us. Def don’t think signing him long term is the best idea rn though in case he is in fact not the answer.
May 1, 2023 at 9:17 p.m.
Pens71
Quoting: Pensman69
I agree, I think with the right moves we are absolutely capable of sneaking past NYR in the standings.

Also, reasoning on you not being a Berts fan? I personally love his game, he’s a pure playmaker and would fit in like a glove on our roster imo

I think Jarry isn’t the problem atm. He’s had just 1 real playoff showing where it was his debut that he got out of the way and then was thrown in a game 7 obviously not 100%. Outside of that he has given us solid goaltending on a pretty consistent basis and is young. I think we give him a prove it deal with the injury history and see where that takes us. Def don’t think signing him long term is the best idea rn though in case he is in fact not the answer.

I agree with Bertuzzi being a playmaker and all that but I think he is a liability on defense, sure he might score you a goal or two but he also will be on the ice for goals due to his poor play on the defensive side. Again, no problem with us signing him, just have some hesitation.

And I agree Jarry isnt the biggest problem right now, our bottom 6 I think is our biggest issue going into the season. need to take some pressure off of Sid and Geno. And also we gotta get better defensively. But sure he hasnt had much playoff experience, but his 1st series wasnt pretty, made some pretty bad plays. It isnt just in the playoffs, he never makes the big save, timely saves when needed. And the other huge red flag with him, is injuries. how do we know he'll be 100% next season or reaggravate the same injury. Are we gonna roll with Desmith again?? He just hasnt shown he is a durable goalie. I think we give him a short contract like you said, no issues with that but also we cant be wasting seasons of Sid and Geno at the same time. Tough decision for the next GM.
May 1, 2023 at 10:58 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: fmaximilian
I agree with Bertuzzi being a playmaker and all that but I think he is a liability on defense, sure he might score you a goal or two but he also will be on the ice for goals due to his poor play on the defensive side. Again, no problem with us signing him, just have some hesitation.

And I agree Jarry isnt the biggest problem right now, our bottom 6 I think is our biggest issue going into the season. need to take some pressure off of Sid and Geno. And also we gotta get better defensively. But sure he hasnt had much playoff experience, but his 1st series wasnt pretty, made some pretty bad plays. It isnt just in the playoffs, he never makes the big save, timely saves when needed. And the other huge red flag with him, is injuries. how do we know he'll be 100% next season or reaggravate the same injury. Are we gonna roll with Desmith again?? He just hasnt shown he is a durable goalie. I think we give him a short contract like you said, no issues with that but also we cant be wasting seasons of Sid and Geno at the same time. Tough decision for the next GM.

Yea I can’t argue against you there, he is def a liability on defense which could be a problem. I think we need a better 2 way game with our forward as it is which is why I’m feeling the odds we sign Bertuzzi are pretty low.

He’s only been in the playoffs for 1 series which was his debut and a game 7 he wasn’t 100% in that he played decent in. Small sample size, too early to give up on him imo but I do agree the time is ticking. Sign him to a prove it deal and if things go south then you move on.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll