UFA - 1
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $950,000$950,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $3,125,000$3,125,000
    RW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    Taxi Squad
    $1,800,000$1,800,000 ($650,000$650K$650,000$650K)
    G
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 3, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
    I don't think that's a train, it's a trainwreck.
    If we intend to compete, no return will have the same impact he has. And it's pretty clear FSG intends to compete.
    That's the end of that discussion.
    GoGuins18 liked this.
    May 3, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
    Gonna derail this train like it's carrying hazardous chemicals in through a small Ohio town.
    GoGuins18 liked this.
    May 3, 2023 at 1:47 p.m.
    Quoting: Haymaker26
    I don't think that's a train, it's a trainwreck.
    If we intend to compete, no return will have the same impact he has. And it's pretty clear FSG intends to compete.
    That's the end of that discussion.

Not sure if I agree with that. Weve had this debate on here before. The pens need to get younger and faster and improve the bottom 6. Ive said on here also that I think jake gets a 7x7M type deal, and that might even be lowball. Kadri got 7x7M and hes never been a ppg player until his age 31 season last year. Jake doesnt strike me as the type of player whos going to score 30 a season into his mid 30s without a top center next to him and Sid/Geno will be gone by that point, which will make that contract potentially really bad in a few years. If you trade him to a team capable of resigning him he gets at least a middle 6 NHLer or prospect and a 1st. If you can get a solid 3C and a 1st Id take it. use the cap space to add someone younger cheaper and more physical at LW i think it makes us deeper and more competitive. Goal scoring from the top 6 wont be the issue with this team it will be defense, bottom 6 and goaltending.
    May 3, 2023 at 2:00 p.m.
    I wave to you on the train as you fly pass, rumbling towards the broken bridge.
    GoGuins18 liked this.
    May 3, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
    VGKNation702
    Yeah that’s entirely too much from us…
    May 3, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
    Quoting: VGKNation702
    Yeah that’s entirely too much from us…

I took a look at Vegas' situation next year and it's pretty weird lol You guys have basically the entire team signed through next year with 8 million cap space but assuming Lehner gets off LTIR you'll lose some of that. Do you think you all will just stay pat minus a few tinkerings here and there or make some bigger moves and move guys? Just curious kind of weird you could literally do almost nothing and still have the same team if you wanted is what it looked like to me.
    May 3, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
    Quoting: GoGuinsGo18
    I took a look at Vegas' situation next year and it's pretty weird lol You guys have basically the entire team signed through next year with 8 million cap space but assuming Lehner gets off LTIR you'll lose some of that. Do you think you all will just stay pat minus a few tinkerings here and there or make some bigger moves and move guys? Just curious kind of weird you could literally do almost nothing and still have the same team if you wanted is what it looked like to me.

Minus G bc Thompson will be back but Quick is a UFA and Adin Hill is a UFA and then you've got Lehner. Just curious what you think Vegas will do.
    May 3, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
    Quoting: Pensfan877158
    Not sure if I agree with that. Weve had this debate on here before. The pens need to get younger and faster and improve the bottom 6. Ive said on here also that I think jake gets a 7x7M type deal, and that might even be lowball. Kadri got 7x7M and hes never been a ppg player until his age 31 season last year. Jake doesnt strike me as the type of player whos going to score 30 a season into his mid 30s without a top center next to him and Sid/Geno will be gone by that point, which will make that contract potentially really bad in a few years. If you trade him to a team capable of resigning him he gets at least a middle 6 NHLer or prospect and a 1st. If you can get a solid 3C and a 1st Id take it. use the cap space to add someone younger cheaper and more physical at LW i think it makes us deeper and more competitive. Goal scoring from the top 6 wont be the issue with this team it will be defense, bottom 6 and goaltending.

It absolutely will be an issue if you trade their best scorer. Tarasenko and Barbashev combined didn't even score as much as Jake last season. Losing Jake makes this team worse for the remainder of Sid's tenure especially if you trade him for an average 3rd line center.
    Also, who rally cares if this contract is bad after Sid retires? The team is going to stink anyway for the purpose of a legit rebuild.
    GoGuins18 liked this.
    May 3, 2023 at 3:38 p.m.
    Quoting: Pensfan877158

1. This team is only a few seasons away from rebuilding with or without Jake. So we can either keep him and get the most out of what time we until then, or we can trade him and not get the most out of him. No amalgamation of players or picks that we can get for him will have the same immediate on-ice impact as a sniper of Jake's caliber. If we trade him, it's a telltale sign of the Pens giving up on competing with Sid, Geno, and Tanger. FSG isn't doing that.

2. You're doubting the future goal scoring ability of a player who's perenially at a 35-40 goal pace. He's top 10 in 5v5 goals in the last 3 years, league-wide. And he's been PPG in games where he's played but Crosby hasn't. Maybe you're right and he will slow down some. But to the degree you claim? I'll believe it when I see it.

3. Why should I care when Jake's contract will be awful after the Big 3 are gone? The team will be just as bad by that point. We'll be the type of team taking on cap dumps and selling our talent by the time his contract becomes an issue.

4. This year's UFA class is pretty poor. The only real top 6 options in free agency to slot in on LW are Bunting and Bertuzzi. Both guys who'll command something between $5M and $6M, so they won't even be cheaper next season than Guentzel will be. And then the cap is going to start going up more and more.

It's as simple as this: there is no way to trade Jake without getting immediately worse. We are not tearing it down yet, so getting immediately worse makes no sense.
    GoGuins18 liked this.
    May 3, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
    VGKNation702
    Minus G bc Thompson will be back but Quick is a UFA and Adin Hill is a UFA and then you've got Lehner. Just curious what you think Vegas will do.

Honestly no clue. A lot is going to depend on this next series. I’d still say we need scoring, but that can be addressed with a Vlad or Kane in FA. No lie I’d LOVE Guentzel in Vegas but I can’t justify more than Roy a first and a lower prospect. At a certain point some of our prospects need to come thru.

I think Goalie will be either Hill or LB w/Thompson baring a complete meltdown in this series or following.
    May 3, 2023 at 4:57 p.m.
    Quoting: VGKNation702
    Honestly no clue. A lot is going to depend on this next series. I’d still say we need scoring, but that can be addressed with a Vlad or Kane in FA. No lie I’d LOVE Guentzel in Vegas but I can’t justify more than Roy a first and a lower prospect. At a certain point some of our prospects need to come thru.

I think Goalie will be either Hill or LB w/Thompson baring a complete meltdown in this series or following.

Yeah it's very interesting. I mean the team you have now won the West and with almost everyone returning you have the benefit of not having to worry about replacing pieces you don't want to lose. I agree with you it would benefit you to get another top scoring F but yeah it seems like a pretty promising position to be in.
    VGKNation702 liked this.
    May 3, 2023 at 9:32 p.m.
    VGKNation702
    Yeah it's very interesting. I mean the team you have now won the West and with almost everyone returning you have the benefit of not having to worry about replacing pieces you don't want to lose. I agree with you it would benefit you to get another top scoring F but yeah it seems like a pretty promising position to be in.

It’s only promising if our name ends up on the cup
    May 5, 2023 at 12:17 a.m.
    Quoting: Haymaker26
    1. This team is only a few seasons away from rebuilding with or without Jake. So we can either keep him and get the most out of what time we until then, or we can trade him and not get the most out of him. No amalgamation of players or picks that we can get for him will have the same immediate on-ice impact as a sniper of Jake's caliber. If we trade him, it's a telltale sign of the Pens giving up on competing with Sid, Geno, and Tanger. FSG isn't doing that.

2. You're doubting the future goal scoring ability of a player who's perenially at a 35-40 goal pace. He's top 10 in 5v5 goals in the last 3 years, league-wide. And he's been PPG in games where he's played but Crosby hasn't. Maybe you're right and he will slow down some. But to the degree you claim? I'll believe it when I see it.

3. Why should I care when Jake's contract will be awful after the Big 3 are gone? The team will be just as bad by that point. We'll be the type of team taking on cap dumps and selling our talent by the time his contract becomes an issue.

4. This year's UFA class is pretty poor. The only real top 6 options in free agency to slot in on LW are Bunting and Bertuzzi. Both guys who'll command something between $5M and $6M, so they won't even be cheaper next season than Guentzel will be. And then the cap is going to start going up more and more.

It's as simple as this: there is no way to trade Jake without getting immediately worse. We are not tearing it down yet, so getting immediately worse makes no sense.

That’s all fair and reasonable. I like to think there’s some middle ground that can be achieved between going all in and becoming the 2020s Blackhawks.

And while I see your point on Jake’s scoring and the available alternatives, both bring more than just goals to the table in terms of physicality versatility. Put either of them with Crosby they score 20 in their sleep, maybe 30. 7 of Jake’s 36 goals were empty netters. Interpret that how you want. Finally, you say trading Jake makes us immediately worse. I’m not so sure. If you can replace Jake on the LW with someone who scores at least 20 goals and you use the return to improve the bottom 6 (which is awful, and was possibly the main reason the pens missed the playoffs) by as little as 10 goals, and get a second 1st in a very deep draft I’d argue you’ve made the team better at the expense of getting likely 1 year of guentzel and losing him for nothing thereafter

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll