Forums/Armchair-GM

offseason wish list

Created by: pavelisgoat
Team: 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: May 6, 2023
Published: May 6, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Foligno and Lafreniere both make the team harder to play against. I know Laf is obviously unlikely, but with their cap situation and adding a young NHL ready prospect like Johansson, there is decent value in his return.

On my wish list also would include Stevie stockpiling picks and getting into the first round as many times as possible through cap dumps and move ups - Use the seconds, use the Boston 1st, take cap dumps like Matt Murray, Jeff Petry as examples, land as many high end prospects as possible.

Realistic players Detroit could draft in my wish list:
- Reinbacher
- Leonard
- Moore
- Yager / Danielson
- Willander
Who's top of your list?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$1,000,000
2$3,000,000
Trades
MIN
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (DET)
  2. 2024 4th round pick (DAL)
DET
  1. Petersen, Cal
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (LAK)
  3. 2025 4th round pick (LAK)
LAK
DET
  1. Lafrenière, Alexis [RFA Rights]
NYR
  1. Johansson, Albert
  2. Kubalik, Dominik ($1,250,000 retained)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (VAN)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$69,797,222$0$5,257,500$12,702,778
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
C
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$905,833$905,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW
RFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 6, 2023 at 2:49 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Reinbacher and Moore are my choices.
MoSeider53 liked this.
May 6, 2023 at 3:05 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
Reinbacher and Moore are my choices.

Same here.
May 6, 2023 at 3:46 p.m.
Drury says sorry for ruining your wish list and says no thanks.
May 6, 2023 at 5:16 p.m.
My wish list is Moore and Barlow. Reinbacher would be nice and would have to be taken off one of those two are gone and he's available. I don't mind Benson, he's a work horse. Willander is very high for a second round pick or late first of we get one.
May 6, 2023 at 5:59 p.m.
Quoting: Onlyfairtrades1
Drury says sorry for ruining your wish list and says no thanks.

Care to elaborate? Lafreniere not on the table at all or what would it take?
May 6, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.
Quoting: pavelisgoat
Care to elaborate? Lafreniere not on the table at all or what would it take?

Any player can be traded but a team usually has a reason to trade someone. Why would the Rangers trade a 21 year old with a lot of talent and upside, who is also relatively cheap in a cap world? The only way they trade Laffy (or Kakko, or Chtyil, or Schneider, or Miller) is if the offer is overwhelmingly good for the Rangers. That is not this offer.
May 6, 2023 at 6:37 p.m.
Any player can be traded but a team usually has a reason to trade someone. Why would the Rangers trade a 21 year old with a lot of talent and upside, who is also relatively cheap in a cap world? The only way they trade Laffy (or Kakko, or Chtyil, or Schneider, or Miller) is if the offer is overwhelmingly good for the Rangers. That is not this offer.

Yeah I agree with your points. The reason that I had for the rangers to consider moving Laf is their cap space. Now sure Miller and Laf could sign team friendly deals and they don’t need to sign any ufa and they could even deal Goodrow (although surely that costs assets). But if they are looking to make any changes, to improve from their postseason performance, not sure how they do so unless they just expect the kids to take another step. Watching them in the postseason their defence was atrocious. Forwards not very good defensively either. Johansson is a legitimate NHL ready LD prospect who plays a solid defensive game. Kubalik can fill a scoring hole for cheap that Laf would leave behind, and they would have more cap room with these 2 on the roster than with what I would expect Laf to sign for. I completely understand if he’s not for sale unless an offer blows you away, which I recognize this isn’t in blown away territory. Just thought it’s a fair offer and would help the Rangers defensively, with cap space, and allow them to make some changes that I feel are needed for them
May 6, 2023 at 8:12 p.m.
Yeah I agree with your points. The reason that I had for the rangers to consider moving Laf is their cap space. Now sure Miller and Laf could sign team friendly deals and they don’t need to sign any ufa and they could even deal Goodrow (although surely that costs assets). But if they are looking to make any changes, to improve from their postseason performance, not sure how they do so unless they just expect the kids to take another step. Watching them in the postseason their defence was atrocious. Forwards not very good defensively either. Johansson is a legitimate NHL ready LD prospect who plays a solid defensive game. Kubalik can fill a scoring hole for cheap that Laf would leave behind, and they would have more cap room with these 2 on the roster than with what I would expect Laf to sign for. I completely understand if he’s not for sale unless an offer blows you away, which I recognize this isn’t in blown away territory. Just thought it’s a fair offer and would help the Rangers defensively, with cap space, and allow them to make some changes that I feel are needed for them

The entire team, except for Shesterkin, had a terrible playoff series. Some of that had to do with the fact NJ is a good team and some just had to do with a lack of effort or heart or coaching or whatever. Panarin had no goals, so should the Rangers trade him at pennies on the dollar? Most games, Fox was terrible by his standards, so should they trade him? K'Andre had his worst 2 weeks of his career, so should they trade him too? Bottom line is it was 1 playoff series against a good team that actually had a better regular season than the Rangers, so why the panic?

The young kids (Laffy, Kakko, Miller, Chytil, Fox, Schneider and Shesterkin) are the future of the franchise. Drury has some cap issues to deal with, but they will be dealt with without losing any of these players. Maybe that means Goodrow, or maybe it means someone else like Panarin. Who knows. I mean the Rangers were able to trade Marc Staal and his horrendous contract at the time without giving up much at all, and Staal had an NMC, so it happens. Now that Gallant is gone, perhaps they will bring in a coach that will use the young kids better and develop them better as well. Under Gallant, Laffy, Chytil and Kakko hardly ever got top 6 minutes or PP time. Maybe with a new coach that changes. So there is ZERO reasons for the Rangers to trade any of them, unless as I said, the offer is overwhelmingly in the Rangers favor.
May 7, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
The entire team, except for Shesterkin, had a terrible playoff series. Some of that had to do with the fact NJ is a good team and some just had to do with a lack of effort or heart or coaching or whatever. Panarin had no goals, so should the Rangers trade him at pennies on the dollar? Most games, Fox was terrible by his standards, so should they trade him? K'Andre had his worst 2 weeks of his career, so should they trade him too? Bottom line is it was 1 playoff series against a good team that actually had a better regular season than the Rangers, so why the panic?

The young kids (Laffy, Kakko, Miller, Chytil, Fox, Schneider and Shesterkin) are the future of the franchise. Drury has some cap issues to deal with, but they will be dealt with without losing any of these players. Maybe that means Goodrow, or maybe it means someone else like Panarin. Who knows. I mean the Rangers were able to trade Marc Staal and his horrendous contract at the time without giving up much at all, and Staal had an NMC, so it happens. Now that Gallant is gone, perhaps they will bring in a coach that will use the young kids better and develop them better as well. Under Gallant, Laffy, Chytil and Kakko hardly ever got top 6 minutes or PP time. Maybe with a new coach that changes. So there is ZERO reasons for the Rangers to trade any of them, unless as I said, the offer is overwhelmingly in the Rangers favor.

Didn’t realize I had hit a nerve as I was actually trying to largely agree with you and went on to explain myself. And nowhere did I say to trade Panarin etc at Pennie’s on the dollar like you suggest. I did not suggest that with Laf either if that’s where you’re getting it from please re-read my post. But I am in complete agreement that Fox Panarin and Miller were terrible in the playoffs. And hey if you’re comfortable running it back, then go right ahead. I think they’ll fail again next year if they run it back but only time will tell on that. The biggest point that I made was their defence was atrocious, and I’ll stand by that. Their forwards aren’t good enough defensively and the team as a whole lacks speed which makes it tough against Carolina and NJ. And yeah it’s no shame losing to the devils who have a great team. But I would expect a repeat of it next year if the rangers don’t address some needs. How they do that could be a multitude of ways, if I was a Rags fan then trading Laf would not be my first choice of doing so, I’m clearly not saying he’s crap as I try to acquire him. But they need to create some cap space and address needs at the same time so I’m curious how they might do so
May 7, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
Oh I guess if you’re thinking Laf putting up 0 points in the playoff was my reason for dumping him it explains the reaction of throwing Panarin and others under the bus. I never brought that up however, and the trade idea for Laf has a lot more to do with his RFA status and affordability of him and Miller than anything else

It is funny how often on this site that people read things that aren’t there
May 7, 2023 at 2:51 p.m.
Didn’t realize I had hit a nerve as I was actually trying to largely agree with you and went on to explain myself. And nowhere did I say to trade Panarin etc at Pennie’s on the dollar like you suggest. I did not suggest that with Laf either if that’s where you’re getting it from please re-read my post. But I am in complete agreement that Fox Panarin and Miller were terrible in the playoffs. And hey if you’re comfortable running it back, then go right ahead. I think they’ll fail again next year if they run it back but only time will tell on that. The biggest point that I made was their defence was atrocious, and I’ll stand by that. Their forwards aren’t good enough defensively and the team as a whole lacks speed which makes it tough against Carolina and NJ. And yeah it’s no shame losing to the devils who have a great team. But I would expect a repeat of it next year if the rangers don’t address some needs. How they do that could be a multitude of ways, if I was a Rags fan then trading Laf would not be my first choice of doing so, I’m clearly not saying he’s crap as I try to acquire him. But they need to create some cap space and address needs at the same time so I’m curious how they might do so

What nerve, just stating the obvious case with the Rangers. They do need to make some changes, and Gallant getting the axe was just the first of the changes. My point was you can't judge 21 year olds on 1 playoff series where the entire team played poorly. If anything, most of the blame needs to fall on guys like Panarin, Trocheck, Mika, etc., so creating cap space may mean moving an $11+ million forward that doesn't seem to play well in the playoffs vs. moving 21 years olds that are just starting to show what they can be. And again, losing in 7 games to a good team isn't the worst outcome possible. They made the playoffs and beat the Devils 3 games pretty handily, so I don't think panic selling is the answer. If Gallant had not moved Mika to the bumper spot on the PP, which was criminally stupid, maybe the Rangers win that series, who knows. Could also be a big reason Gallant is unemployed now. You can think all you want about there future chances, but IMO, all the kids they have now are good players with room to grow who will only get better with good coaching, so we shall see. No reason to trade any of them.
May 7, 2023 at 3:38 p.m.
What nerve, just stating the obvious case with the Rangers. They do need to make some changes, and Gallant getting the axe was just the first of the changes. My point was you can't judge 21 year olds on 1 playoff series where the entire team played poorly. If anything, most of the blame needs to fall on guys like Panarin, Trocheck, Mika, etc., so creating cap space may mean moving an $11+ million forward that doesn't seem to play well in the playoffs vs. moving 21 years olds that are just starting to show what they can be. And again, losing in 7 games to a good team isn't the worst outcome possible. They made the playoffs and beat the Devils 3 games pretty handily, so I don't think panic selling is the answer. If Gallant had not moved Mika to the bumper spot on the PP, which was criminally stupid, maybe the Rangers win that series, who knows. Could also be a big reason Gallant is unemployed now. You can think all you want about there future chances, but IMO, all the kids they have now are good players with room to grow who will only get better with good coaching, so we shall see. No reason to trade any of them.

Again, I hadn’t said anything to judge Lafreniere on his playoff performance. The team was poor overall. But I think we mostly agree on the rest. Although it would be pretty unlikely Panarin could get moved, in the off chance he did what would you expect a deal to look like?
May 7, 2023 at 5:13 p.m.
Again, I hadn’t said anything to judge Lafreniere on his playoff performance. The team was poor overall. But I think we mostly agree on the rest. Although it would be pretty unlikely Panarin could get moved, in the off chance he did what would you expect a deal to look like?

I don't expect him to get moved either, mainly because he has total control and would probably veto any trade. But that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the most blame for the playoff loss. But if he could be moved, the return would depend on how much of his salary can be moved. If a team would take all of it with no hold back, then it would not have to be that much IMO because the biggest benefit for the Rangers would be all that cap room. Much more likely someone like Goodrow is moved if Drury gets desperate for cap space.
May 7, 2023 at 5:29 p.m.
I don't expect him to get moved either, mainly because he has total control and would probably veto any trade. But that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the most blame for the playoff loss. But if he could be moved, the return would depend on how much of his salary can be moved. If a team would take all of it with no hold back, then it would not have to be that much IMO because the biggest benefit for the Rangers would be all that cap room. Much more likely someone like Goodrow is moved if Drury gets desperate for cap space.

If Panarin would allow a trade, I actually think the wings would be a good fit for him. Send you guys back Kubalik and a 2nd and call it a day

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll