Hextall Fumbled the bag so hard

Created by: pens1991
Team: 2022-23 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: May 11, 2023
Published: May 11, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
**This is a purely what if/could've been post**

I just want to revisit what could've been had Hextall not been in charge because it's blows my mind how poorly he and Burke ran this team.

This team is slightly over the cap, but i imagine had this group stayed together, the GM could've worked to stay cap compliant between the Rust/Malkin/Letang/McCann/Rakell/Erod contracts i think they would've found a way to shave off $600k+. Could've also looked to move Dumolin which would've freed up plenty of space to add another player on D plus more depth (and get under the cap).

For the expansion draft you expose carter over tanev and blueger over McCann (Granted carter may have never been a penguin if Hextall was never the GM..) if carter was never there you expose Kapanen. Either way I assume Seattle wouldve taken Blueger/Kapanen/Carter.

I'm not saying this team wins the cup by any stretch, but given that Malkin and Crosby played all 82 games this season and both has stellar seasons, I think this team could've made a really strong run. Bottom 6 is night and day compared to what it actually was for the season, plus adding Marino and Matheson back immediately mends the defense.
Trades
PIT
  1. Matheson, Michael
  2. 2023 4th round pick (PIT)
NJD
  1. Smith, Ty
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (NJD)
SEA
  1. Carter, Jeff
Additional Details:
*revert protecting Carter over Tanev*
MIN
    Gaudreau was let go in Favor of McGinn.....
    PIT
    1. 2023 2nd round pick (PIT)
    NSH
    1. Granlund, Mikael
    Additional Details:
    reverting this trade
    PIT
    1. 2023 7th round pick (PIT)
    SJS
    1. Bonino, Nick
    Additional Details:
    reverting trade
    COL
    1. Rutta, Jan
    Additional Details:
    Rutta was signed over brining Erod Back
    PIT
    ANA
    1. Kulikov, Dmitry
    Additional Details:
    reverting trade
    SEA
      never traded to TOR
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the FLA
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the VGK
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$82,500,000$81,616,842$0$0$883,158
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $8,700,000$8,700,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $5,125,000$5,125,000
      RW, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $6,100,000$6,100,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 6
      Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LW, C
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Seattle Kraken
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 5
      Logo of the Seattle Kraken
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Minnesota Wild
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $900,000$900,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,025,175$4,025,175
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $6,100,000$6,100,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
      $4,875,000$4,875,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      Logo of the New Jersey Devils
      $4,400,000$4,400,000
      RD
      UFA - 5
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $4,100,000$4,100,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $825,000$825,000
      LD
      RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 11, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
      If you wanted to get under the cap you could always have just protected Blueger over Tanev too. That was clearly the right move at the time anyways so can't fault them on that one. Carter over McCann though we definitely can haha
      May 11, 2023 at 12:46 p.m.
      Syd Barret
      I just finished reading this athletic article too tears of joy
      you should probably post this ACGM in the article comments!
      pens1991 liked this.
      May 11, 2023 at 12:47 p.m.
      pens1991
      Quoting: JSEB93
      If you wanted to get under the cap you could always have just protected Blueger over Tanev too. That was clearly the right move at the time anyways so can't fault them on that one. Carter over McCann though we definitely can haha

yeah i mean i understand protecting blueger for his defensive/PK abilities but idk... tanev was/is energy/speed/tenacity that the bottom six is desperately missing on this team and still a solid PK player.

McCann trade i hated at the time, he could've had 20 goals this year and i'd still be annoyed. It made no sense at the time, clearly looks even worse now.
      GoGuins18 and OldNYIfan liked this.
      May 11, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
      pens1991
      Quoting: pensburgh571
      I just finished reading this athletic article too tears of joy
      you should probably post this ACGM in the article comments!

yup! it was a good read, made me realize how screwed up Hextall/Burke were. I mean I didn't like majority of the moves as they happened real time. Neither D trade in the summer made sense, letting Erod walk made no sense.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      May 11, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
      Syd Barret
      Quoting: pens1991
      yup! it was a good read, made me realize how screwed up Hextall/Burke were.

I think the McCann trade is the worst of all. I think he was sneakily one of GMJR's best pickups. A young player to help keep youth/ speed/ hunger in the lineup. And a great transition piece from the Sid/Geno era to whatever the next era becomes.
      pens1991 and OldNYIfan liked this.
      May 11, 2023 at 12:54 p.m.
      pens1991
      Quoting: pensburgh571
      I think the McCann trade is the worst of all. I think he was sneakily one of GMJR's best pickups. A young player to help keep youth/ speed/ hunger in the lineup. And a great transition piece from the Sid/Geno era to whatever the next era becomes.

Agree on that, and i didn't mine Bjugs either. Just was so crushed when they sent McCann away.. and all the penguins have left to show for that is a 7th in the draft this year.... Hallander is going back to europe and is an RFA.
      OldNYIfan and SydBarrett liked this.
      May 11, 2023 at 12:57 p.m.
      yeah i mean i understand protecting blueger for his defensive/PK abilities but idk... tanev was/is energy/speed/tenacity that the bottom six is desperately missing on this team and still a solid PK player.

McCann trade i hated at the time, he could've had 20 goals this year and i'd still be annoyed. It made no sense at the time, clearly looks even worse now.

Blueger also had 22 points in 43 games vs Tanev's 16 in 32 - so Blueger even had a better offensive season than Tanev too in the year prior to the draft. Younger, cheaper, and plays a more important position. We all love Tanev, but with that contract I think it was right to leave him unprotected. The issue is they just right turned around and signed McGinn who is like Diet Tanev but almost the same cost lol.

Yeah there's absolutely no reason to let McCann go. It made no sense at the time - it's not even a hindsight 20/20 type of situation. It was stupid when it happened - and looks even worse now. But there's still that awkward section of the fanbase who thinks getting rid of him was right because he had no goals in 9 playoff games or whatever bs they always say haha
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      May 11, 2023 at 1:14 p.m.
      pens1991
      Blueger also had 22 points in 43 games vs Tanev's 16 in 32 - so Blueger even had a better offensive season than Tanev too in the year prior to the draft. Younger, cheaper, and plays a more important position. We all love Tanev, but with that contract I think it was right to leave him unprotected. The issue is they just right turned around and signed McGinn who is like Diet Tanev but almost the same cost lol.

Yeah there's absolutely no reason to let McCann go. It made no sense at the time - it's not even a hindsight 20/20 type of situation. It was stupid when it happened - and looks even worse now. But there's still that awkward section of the fanbase who thinks getting rid of him was right because he had no goals in 9 playoff games or whatever bs they always say haha

That's a fair note, on blueger/Tanev. I really appreciate Tanev's speed, just an element the team feels like it's missing. Totally get it though, and like you said, just added McGinn... would much rather have Tanev lol .

Hah, yeah those people always exist... just like the entire Leafs fan base that want to ship out Matthews and Marner......
      JSEB93 and OldNYIfan liked this.
      May 11, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
      Why would those teams make those trades? They already did it once. Why would they want to revert back?
      May 11, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
      pens1991
      Quoting: DonkeyLips
      Why would those teams make those trades? They already did it once. Why would they want to revert back?

How could they not want to, everyone know's things are always better the second time around!! grin
      May 11, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.
      That's a fair note, on blueger/Tanev. I really appreciate Tanev's speed, just an element the team feels like it's missing. Totally get it though, and like you said, just added McGinn... would much rather have Tanev lol .

Hah, yeah those people always exist... just like the entire Leafs fan base that want to ship out Matthews and Marner......

Yeah I'm not trying to knock Tanev - he brought value in the ways you mentioned. Just somebody had to be the odd man out because of an expansion draft and his contract wasn't really the best. But yeah - the McGinn signing just made no sense. It basically showed they were mad they didn't protect Tanev so got a similar player but worse for almost the same money
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      May 11, 2023 at 2:02 p.m.
      pens1991
      Yeah I'm not trying to knock Tanev - he brought value in the ways you mentioned. Just somebody had to be the odd man out because of an expansion draft and his contract wasn't really the best. But yeah - the McGinn signing just made no sense. It basically showed they were mad they didn't protect Tanev so got a similar player but worse for almost the same money

The two defensive trades are the biggest after the McCann trade, those just... i got nothing lol. Won't even mention the Granlund trade, that's low hanging fruit
      OldNYIfan and JSEB93 liked this.
      May 11, 2023 at 2:36 p.m.
      The two defensive trades are the biggest after the McCann trade, those just... i got nothing lol. Won't even mention the Granlund trade, that's low hanging fruit

There's almost no end haha - we could talk about it for hours.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll