Forums/Armchair-GM

Dabble

Created by: CoachCoach
Team: 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: May 11, 2023
Published: May 11, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just dabbling a bit. Below are some reasons for the moves.

- First Round: 9 and 17 select two of the following: Moore, Barlow, Leonard, Wood, Yager, Cristall, Perreault, Stenberg.
- Second Round - use the back to back picks to get two of the following: Willander, Strbak, Nelson, Gibson, Brindley, Ciernik, Allen (notice a pattern?)

- Sign Hill for 3 years. He and Husso guard the crease and hopefully Cossa is ready when in two years when his contract is up. Cossa spends Hill's last season backing him up or hopefully splitting time before taking over.

- Trade 1) Colton may have priced himself out of TB. Swapping his next contract (debating 4M) for Veleno (1.25M-1.5M) gives TB a cheaper but younger bottom 6 center that still has upside. They also get a decent 2nd round pick this year which gives them a total of 1 before the 6th round.
(Threw in Myers due to him being buried, and also knowing I was going to trade for Tyler, if that is an issue he could be removed)

- Trade 2) I like Addy. I see him as a Hronek Lite in terms of playstyle. Has defensive flaws, but offensively he is great. Torn on his return as I have seen him get mixed reviews. I've stated before I think MIN should keep him, but if he does get moved, why not Detroit. Decided on returning the Sunny pick, throwing in a second next year, and a whirlwind up-and-down center prospect in Theo. Had I not completed trade 1, I would be comfortable offering that VAN 2nd for him.

Trade 3) Bring in Myers as well as a 3rd for the cap relief VAN receives. Send out a once B/B- prospect in Viro who has all but fallen off the map due to the LHD pipeline (Ed/WW/AJ/Buium). No retention needed, no 1st going with him.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,500,000
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Moore, Oliver
1$900,000
Wood, Matthew
1$1,700,000
Willander, Tom
1$4,100,000
Nelson, Danny
1$4,200,000
Trades
TBL
  1. Veleno, Joseph [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (VAN)
DET
  1. Addison, Calen [RFA Rights]
MIN
  1. Niederbach, Theodor [Reserve List]
  2. 2023 4th round pick (MIN)
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (DET)
DET
  1. Myers, Tyler
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (VAN)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$70,782,222$0$5,257,500$12,717,778
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NTC
UFA - 8
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$878,333$878,333 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
C
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
C, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 3
Moore, Oliver
$900,000$900,000
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
UFA - 1
Wood, Matthew
$1,700,000$1,700,000
Willander, Tom
$4,100,000$4,100,000
Nelson, Danny
$4,200,000$4,200,000
Taxi Squad
$820,000$820,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 11, 2023 at 11:08 p.m.
Take it easy man
Love everything except for Myers. Wings are better off testing the free agent market for a right D and not giving up any future assets. Gudas or Mayfield are better and cheaper options.
May 11, 2023 at 11:19 p.m.
Quoting: professor_MattL
Love everything except for Myers. Wings are better off testing the free agent market for a right D and not giving up any future assets. Gudas or Mayfield are better and cheaper options.

I was hesitant, it just looks bleak or that SY would be making another Chiarot deal by overpaying or over extending term to make sure he gets a defenseman, and having them for 3-5 years. This was just a move to bring in a big RHD who can eat minutes. More veteran presence on the back end, and maybe a teacher of how to be huge and last in the NHL for 1000 games (Edvinsson). Can flip next year if needed. With the Addison trade, the only pressing RHD issue would be a stop gap until Willander (or one of the other RD from this draft) are ready.
May 11, 2023 at 11:30 p.m.
Colton is way better Myers only cost 250k to bury veleno and a 2 for a team whose GM has shown to put little value in picks is a really bad return
May 11, 2023 at 11:30 p.m.
I like most of this. I wouldn't do the Myers trade and the reason is Viro. He may not be talked about much but I see him as someone like Seigenthaler in the future. I just feel he's the type of guy you need to help teams win, I could be way off and he could be nothing but I would keep him. I don't think if we take Myers for a third anything should go back.
I would try and sign a better free agent than Myers and well, Schenn, Mayfield, Clifton come to mind. I wouldn't do Gudas eff that guy.
I would think Hill might be coveted and would need more money, I don't think 4M but maybe 3.5+. He would be a great pick up but he will have options.
I'm iffy on Addison but worth the try in my opinion.
I would be trying to get a better 4C. I would resign Suter or try for Acciari, Blueger or Bjugstad. Someone like that. Fabbri should not be a centre and a fourth line centre at that. Let Soderblom play in Grand Rapids to start the season or scratch Zadina, probably not a popular idea though. Injuries will happen and they will all get time. Fabbri needs to be in there middle six to be effective.
Talking about that third pair defence again, they would be either really tough to play against or guys will just skate right around both of those pylons and they would be awful. Honestly rather have Johansson play with Chiarot until Edvinsson is back than Myers. He deserves the time in my opinion.
I like what you did with the draft selections and salaries, clever.
Willander is gone before we pick in the second round, if we don't take him at #17 he is likely gone before #25. He's going to be a high riser in my opinion. I think teams will covet what he brings and the fact that he looks like a pretty safe bet. I would be happy drafting him at #17 or f possible trading up to grab him.
May 11, 2023 at 11:43 p.m.
Quoting: Justafan79
Colton is way better Myers only cost 250k to bury veleno and a 2 for a team whose GM has shown to put little value in picks is a really bad return

Honestly just looking at it from a cap consideration if TB doesn't have the money to afford Colton's raise. I know SY wouldn't, but an offer sheet would only net you a second. This trade with ol' pal SY gets you an early second as well as an actual depth piece who is still developing. Rasmussen was Veleno before this season and a lot of people wanted him gone. Not saying Veleno is living up to what he was before, but he is a legit NHL player and could still become a lot more.

I also understand that the Bolts don't tend to care so much for picks. At the same time, that formula won't sustain forever. If a second this year hits, that is one less player to worry about when the rebuild happens.

I do understand though that many other moves could be made that allow Colton to have a spot, as well as other teams could beat this offer.
Justafan79 liked this.
May 12, 2023 at 12:03 a.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
I like most of this. I wouldn't do the Myers trade and the reason is Viro. He may not be talked about much but I see him as someone like Seigenthaler in the future. I just feel he's the type of guy you need to help teams win, I could be way off and he could be nothing but I would keep him. I don't think if we take Myers for a third anything should go back.
I would try and sign a better free agent than Myers and well, Schenn, Mayfield, Clifton come to mind. I wouldn't do Gudas eff that guy.
I would think Hill might be coveted and would need more money, I don't think 4M but maybe 3.5+. He would be a great pick up but he will have options.
I would be trying to get a better 4C. I would resign Suter or try for Acciari, Blueger or Bjugstad. Someone like that. Fabbri should not be a centre and a fourth line centre at that. Let Soderblom play in Grand Rapids to start the season or scratch Zadina, probably not a popular idea though. Injuries will happen and they will all get time. Fabbri needs to be in there middle six to be effective.
Talking about that third pair defence again, they would be either really tough to play against or guys will just skate right around both of those pylons and they would be awful. Honestly rather have Johansson play with Chiarot until Edvinsson is back than Myers. He deserves the time in my opinion.
I like what you did with the draft selections and salaries, clever.
Willander is gone before we pick in the second round, if we don't take him at #17 he is likely gone before #25. He's going to be a high riser in my opinion. I think teams will covet what he brings and the fact that he looks like a pretty safe bet. I would be happy drafting him at #17 or f possible trading up to grab him.

I wouldn't do the Myers trade and the reason is Viro. He may not be talked about much but I see him as someone like Seigenthaler in the future. I just feel he's the type of guy you need to help teams win, I could be way off and he could be nothing but I would keep him. I don't think if we take Myers for a third anything should go back.

- I was high on Viro the last few seasons, but watching the WJC my eyes kept focusing on Niemela. At this point, there are too many. Walman is around for a bit. Edvinsson, Wallinder, AJ, McIsaac, Buium, Sebrango, Viro, with Maata for 2 more, with Chiarot for 3 more. I don't see Viro supplanting any of the guys listed above him. For Myers, It was more about not wanting to sign a guy with term and then having ChiarotRemorse2.0

- I agree, and this was being optimistic. The base idea was to find an actual NHL goalie capable of being a 20-30 game guy for 3 years. With the transition to Cossa, I am hoping there isn't a long term guy or just one offs.

- I live in Minnesota and got to watch them live several times. He always was around the puck, good and bad lol but he was a factor. In speaking with friends around here, they just wish he developed his defensive game better. My thought is that Maata replicates what he did for Hronek, who improved by a large margin.

- This took me the longest. I thought about trades with cap crunch teams, Lancebmx's poster boy, young change of scenery types, FAs, etc. I ultimately decided why not see if Fabbri's knees were allergic to the wing. He has the speed, is creative, and has the motor. Those knees are just too much like a Kansas song. Ideally another center being added would be great. I would be okay with Soda in GR, even Kasper unless he pulls a Raymond.

- I am hoping with the forwards taking a step, that will help that bottom pair. Juggling Maata and Chiarot with the other two and hope something sticks. P. Myers was my Walman project, and at 6'6 why not try. I would love to see Johansson get some time, but not if it means putting him in a very tough assignment and risk hurting his potential.

- Very wishful thinking. A former player I coached from over there told me he thinks that Willander is a top 15 prospect. Earlier this year he was 40-60 range, so I am writing this based on that lol. I wouldn't be opposed to using some draft capital to draft up and get him.
May 12, 2023 at 12:05 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: CoachCoach
Honestly just looking at it from a cap consideration if TB doesn't have the money to afford Colton's raise. I know SY wouldn't, but an offer sheet would only net you a second. This trade with ol' pal SY gets you an early second as well as an actual depth piece who is still developing. Rasmussen was Veleno before this season and a lot of people wanted him gone. Not saying Veleno is living up to what he was before, but he is a legit NHL player and could still become a lot more.

I also understand that the Bolts don't tend to care so much for picks. At the same time, that formula won't sustain forever. If a second this year hits, that is one less player to worry about when the rebuild happens.

I do understand though that many other moves could be made that allow Colton to have a spot, as well as other teams could beat this offer.

I've done a few Tampa CFACGM's and they can certainly afford to pay Colton's raise. They just can't keep Killorn unless he takes a ridiculous paycut.

They'll be an attractive destination for bought out players willing to sign dirt cheap contracts between 775k and 1 mil. Or they can promote a few of their Syracuse Crunch prospects.

When you have a strong core group of players like they do you don't have to add much.

TB aren't what they used to be. But they're still better than most teams.
May 12, 2023 at 12:08 a.m.
Quoting: MorHitzSeider
I've done a few Tampa CFACGM's and they can certainly afford to pay Colton's raise. They just can't keep Killorn unless he takes a ridiculous paycut.

They'll be an attractive destination for bought out players willing to sign dirt cheap contracts between 775k and 1 mil. Or they can promote a few of their Syracuse Crunch prospects.

When you have a strong core group of players like they do you don't have to add much.

TB aren't what they used to be. But they're still better than most teams.

I figured as much. Honestly it makes sense to keep him over Killorn (unless he takes less) and just keep riding the wave. Small leaks and patch work rather than tearing the boards up and bringing in all the water hoping its fixed before you sink.

I hate that they are so good, but damn it do I respect it
May 12, 2023 at 12:11 a.m.
Banned
I figured as much. Honestly it makes sense to keep him over Killorn (unless he takes less) and just keep riding the wave. Small leaks and patch work rather than tearing the boards up and bringing in all the water hoping its fixed before you sink.

I hate that they are so good, but damn it do I respect it

Yzerman's drafting keeps paying off for them. The clock will strike midnight eventually but not yet. I have a lot of respect for that organization. Stevie taught them how to win. Cooper takes a lot of heat but he's an excellent Head coach. Stevie knew what he was doing there.
May 12, 2023 at 2:20 a.m.
Buffbry
Wings pass on every trade
May 12, 2023 at 3:11 a.m.
I wouldn't do the Myers trade and the reason is Viro. He may not be talked about much but I see him as someone like Seigenthaler in the future. I just feel he's the type of guy you need to help teams win, I could be way off and he could be nothing but I would keep him. I don't think if we take Myers for a third anything should go back.

- I was high on Viro the last few seasons, but watching the WJC my eyes kept focusing on Niemela. At this point, there are too many. Walman is around for a bit. Edvinsson, Wallinder, AJ, McIsaac, Buium, Sebrango, Viro, with Maata for 2 more, with Chiarot for 3 more. I don't see Viro supplanting any of the guys listed above him. For Myers, It was more about not wanting to sign a guy with term and then having ChiarotRemorse2.0

- I agree, and this was being optimistic. The base idea was to find an actual NHL goalie capable of being a 20-30 game guy for 3 years. With the transition to Cossa, I am hoping there isn't a long term guy or just one offs.

- I live in Minnesota and got to watch them live several times. He always was around the puck, good and bad lol but he was a factor. In speaking with friends around here, they just wish he developed his defensive game better. My thought is that Maata replicates what he did for Hronek, who improved by a large margin.

- This took me the longest. I thought about trades with cap crunch teams, Lancebmx's poster boy, young change of scenery types, FAs, etc. I ultimately decided why not see if Fabbri's knees were allergic to the wing. He has the speed, is creative, and has the motor. Those knees are just too much like a Kansas song. Ideally another center being added would be great. I would be okay with Soda in GR, even Kasper unless he pulls a Raymond.

- I am hoping with the forwards taking a step, that will help that bottom pair. Juggling Maata and Chiarot with the other two and hope something sticks. P. Myers was my Walman project, and at 6'6 why not try. I would love to see Johansson get some time, but not if it means putting him in a very tough assignment and risk hurting his potential.

- Very wishful thinking. A former player I coached from over there told me he thinks that Willander is a top 15 prospect. Earlier this year he was 40-60 range, so I am writing this based on that lol. I wouldn't be opposed to using some draft capital to draft up and get him.

On the Willander bit. I think he could be top 25, some recent mock drafts have him going around there. I think he possesses alot of the skillsets teams would want and considering how many teams need RHD, might be taken early just for that reasoning.
May 12, 2023 at 7:17 a.m.
Quoting: buffbry
Wings pass on every trade

You are the equivalent of a cap dump as a fan.
May 12, 2023 at 7:20 a.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
On the Willander bit. I think he could be top 25, some recent mock drafts have him going around there. I think he possesses alot of the skillsets teams would want and considering how many teams need RHD, might be taken early just for that reasoning.

Acknowledged that in the last two sentences. I thought he was one of Sweden’s better players at u18s. With all of Detroit’s capital, I wouldn’t be opposed to trading up to get him.
May 12, 2023 at 7:24 a.m.
Buffbry
You are the equivalent of a cap dump as a fan.

You are the equivalent of an infant when it comes to hockey knowledge or what real value is
May 12, 2023 at 8:37 a.m.
Quoting: buffbry
You are the equivalent of an infant when it comes to hockey knowledge or what real value is

Please do elaborate…. Oh nvm I can guess, here goes.

“TB adds Stamkos, Kuch, and Point, while taking Chiarot back.”

“Minnesota adds Kap and Boldy but Detroit adds Zadina”

“Vancouver adds Hughes and Petey to pay for Myers”

How did I do? Spot on? Actually contribute some dialogue that adds value or keep it moving. I’d love nothing more than to see a different point that I missed and be wrong.
buffbry liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll