SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Mock 1.0 with Commentary

Mock 1.0 with Commentary

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: redwings_13_40
Published: May 12, 2023 at 9:47 a.m.
Description
Got KK #7 Kasper #8 and Mintyukov #10 right last year, let's give it another whirl
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-This makes me sick but the assailants get CB
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-I actually don't think this is a 100% no-brainer like most do, but still 95%
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-I think people are sleeping a tad on how dominant Carlsson was in the men's league this year. I think he will kill it in the IIHF tourney coming up. Will Smith is great but Carlsson's floor is so high and feels like a Jarmo pick.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-I think Grier will feel comfortable waiting this out. They will stink a couple more years and be in the Celebrini tank. This guy is unbelievably talented and will still change your franchise for 10+ years.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Great player, pains him to go to MTL as a Wings fan
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-I am very close to slotting Tom Willander here -- he is absolutely the real deal. But for now going with the safer option.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Extremely strong in the U18s and operates pretty well in close quarters, which tends to translate well. Defensively responsible vs. some of the other center prospects.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-This is the toughest Top-10 pick for me right now; not sure where they'll go, and I'm personally not as high on Leonard; again I think Wallinder could sneak in
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-I'm a Wings fan and follow their drafts and habits closely. Who knows where Stevie goes. Otto Stenberg had a great U18 and I think he's in the running, but go watch Danielson's tape -- his transition offence, skating, and vision are underrated. Pronman has him #6 and I don't think that's crazy -- he was a force on the ice for a relatively bad team. Wings break trend and go with a CHL guy
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-I don't think he goes outside Top-12, and could easily go 9 to the Wings except for the holes up front with scorers. He's a lock Top-4 D-man with offensive upside to get PP minutes and eat up 22+ minutes a night. This won't look like a reach by draft day I think
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-This may be the biggest reach to date, but he skates well and will grow into his large frame in time. Has the most Mo Seider feel of any prospect here, although I don't think his skating or decision-making have the upside of Seider. But he moves well.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsArizona stops the fall of Benson, who is incredibly talented, puts up great numbers and advanced stats, honestly looked better than Savoie (sorry Buffalo) for the WPG Ice. But I'm very concerned about his ability to create space in the same way in the pros. We'll see, but he's a better prospect than Savoie was last year on a similar build.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Buffalo is completely loaded in their prospect pool and can go wherever here. Sandin Pellikka needs to work a lot on his defensive game but his offensive and transition play are tops of all defensemen in this class.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-I think he gets too much hate for how he played against men; decent skater with good vision.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-I wish his footspeed was a bit higher but the rest of his game shows strong power forward you can slot on the PP.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-I probably like Wood over Honzek, but the floor is lower with his skating and edgework. I think he gets a little too much flak for it given the higher level of competition in the NCAA vs. USHL or USNDTP, and could rise. Good in U18s
17Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersWings fans cry as a Swede who plays a pretty all-around game goes off the board. High floor player who would be a classic Stevie Y pick but doesn't get there. Looked fantastic at U18s all over the ice.
18Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersThis guy is going to surprise people. He could go higher. His ceiling is one of the top players in this class. Watch his highlights in the MHL -- his skating for his size at his age is remarkable. His vision is exceptional. His HUSTLE is insane -- backchecking and playing good defense. It's riskier, especially with the Russia situation, but this dude has a playmaking power forward blend that I really don't know who to compare him to. I like his game a ton but have no idea where he'll slot.
19Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Smooth skater but doesn't bring quite as much to the table for me as the other Ds above him.
20Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningI think Barlow is a good player but the hype train really left the station for a guy with good-not-great all around traits.
21Logo of the Seattle Kraken-People complain about skating but this dude has insane vision and still pretty good tight-space maneuverability, and put up a load of points
22Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Speaking of over-hype train, I don't think Moore goes as high as people expect. He's a great skater but his feel for the game isn't as good as the other USNDTP guys. I'd be worried he can add better intuition, especially in his own zone, and that variance of outcomes makes him fall in my view.
23Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Los Angeles KingsThe fall for Yager stops as well. Similar thoughts to Barlow although Yager is quicker and smaller, but good without great traits that I'm not sure how they'll translate Stopping here as the film I've reviewed on other guys either I (1) don't like or (2) haven't watched enough, and don't want to get into guesswork. Key absences are: -- Calum Ritchie, who I think is incredibly overrated at his footspeed (he's also third man in on a lot of his points vs a play driver) --Riley Heidt got a lot of tough assignments on first line duties, but man the defensive stats were just brutal. He put up points but was team chaos out there, which NHL teams won't like. --Lukas Dragicevic is good offensively but quite weak in his own end without the speed to make significant progress for the NHL --Quentin Musty although I think he could sneak in --Andrew Cristall although I think his stock is falling also
24Logo of the New York Rangers-
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas Stars
26Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
27Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston Bruins
29Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
30Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
31Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey Devils
32Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
May 12, 2023 at 10:21 a.m.
I love these takes. I don't say this often but you, sir, are right.
redwings_13_40 liked this.
May 12, 2023 at 10:44 a.m.
power forward
I totally see Willander going to the Red Wings. Better defensively than ASP, but worse offensively.

As a Jets fan, Chevy doesn't like taking Russians in the first round. He goes for US guys or OHL prospects. Perreault would be the pick in this case, he could even go top 10 based off production alone.
May 12, 2023 at 1:38 p.m.
Evans truther
Kudos for not being a copy-paste CF version of other mock drafts and having your own ideas. GG
From your viewing, who would you compare But to? Stylistic comparison.
May 14, 2023 at 1:57 p.m.
redwings_13_40
Quoting: ImAlwaysRightYoureAlwaysWrong
I love these takes. I don't say this often but you, sir, are right.

Thank you!!
May 14, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
redwings_13_40
Quoting: ColonelX
Kudos for not being a copy-paste CF version of other mock drafts and having your own ideas. GG
From your viewing, who would you compare But to? Stylistic comparison.

This is a tough one and a good question. He's a little unique which is why I think (along with Russia aspect) his variance in draft slot is huge. He's not the shooter Thompson is and doesn't cut to the slot the same way. He doesn't quite have the footspeed of Alex Tuch. But I see him kind of in the middle, a really strong all around game (pretty good skater, good shot, good distributor), but probably with better defensive instincts than either one. He's really pretty darn unique.
ColonelX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll