Forums/Armchair-GM

Dream Scenario

Created by: TCP123
Team: 2023-24 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: May 18, 2023
Published: May 18, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The main goal is to not let the wheels fall off the bus. Carolina has a good thing going right now and they don't want to lose momentum with the rise of eastern teams like NJ or maybe even Buffalo and Ottawa in the coming years. This is a lull period in the East and by making these moves, I could see the Hurricanes doing very well.

Signing Notes:

Ghost is one a one year deal. Could be anyone really but it has to be one year. That money plus the little over 3 mil in cap I left is for extensions next year. Aho, Necas, and Jarvis are the key 3 to resign. I love Teuvo but there is a real possibility that if he wants a raise it would come down to him or Keller (or a Keller like asset) and I would be inclined to take Keller with 4 years of undervalue left. If Teuvo walks too it opens up the possibility of resigning both Skjei and Pesce with Aho, Jarvis, and Necas. I estimate that it will take 9.5-10 mil in raises to keep everyone around. Right now, the left cap space and Teuvo and Ghost equals that plus about 3 for comfort room. In the event of assets leaving Scott Morrow and others will receive their first big league looks. I think a line of Svechnikov-Aho-Keller or any combo with Necas creates a top line that is feared. I believe that the canes can accomplish it, just they have to be willing to trade the assets necessary to go for it.

Resigning Fast and Staal are pure team moves. Both contribute greatly and are well loved players in the locker room and by the fans. Keeping them continues the elite shutdown line they have with Martinook and also makes the locker room happy. Locker room chemistry is massive and not to be thrown under a bus lightly. The captain and Quickie remain parts of the team.

Adin Hill is a placeholder of sorts. Could be any goalie really but I like hill. He was playing well pre-injury and I think with Carolina's blueline in front of him he could be very good.

Trade Notes:

Clayton Keller: I have no idea if Arizona will trade Keller but what I do know is that they love prospects and picks. Keller will be on what I consider undervalued money for several years if his point production stays up as it was this year and a NTC kicks in at the 24-25 season. I can see a situation in which the Jakob Chychrun saga plays out again with Keller this time and the Canes need to be aggressive and get him before another eastern team does. The prospects and picks being traded may hurt in the short term, but if they were never going to develop to Keller's level or have the immediate impact he would have then it's worth it. I totally believe picks and prospects are valuable but if they aren't helping win a cup right now in the contending window or will never develop to Keller's level then there is no need to keep them

Cody Glass: I like Cody Glass. I don't think Nash will trade him but who knows. Like I said in the trade notes this is a placeholder in which it could be this deal or it could be a vet min signing or something else but in an ideal world Cody Glass becomes a Hurricanes and the Canes don't have to deal with a Coghlan extension or Pulu extension.

Happy to hear any feedback or thoughts
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$850,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
2$3,000,000
2$3,500,000
1$4,250,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Keller, Clayton
Additional Details:
Could retain salary if they wish, we all know Arizona loves to do that
ARI
  1. Drury, Jack
  2. Suzuki, Ryan
  3. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (PHI)
  5. 2025 1st round pick (CAR)
  6. 2025 5th round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Drury is more of a placeholder prospect and his spot could be anyone's but basically two prospects, two firsts, and then an additional second or some kind of third prospect. My framework for the deal is the Timo Meier trade. I view the Canes prospects as better and two firsts covers more than the picks given by NJ
CAR
  1. Glass, Cody [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Only if Nash goes rebuild but Glass is a perfect middle-six center and I believe would do well in Carolina's system. The price may be too much but you never know. Additionally, this roster spot could be an old 1 year vet contract too but I wanted to have some fun with a trade instead
NSH
  1. Coghlan, Dylan [RFA Rights]
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [RFA Rights]
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
This deal gives the Hurricanes a young player more proven to help build around. Costs rights and a pick but if Nashville goes rebuild they may not lock into Glass long-term while the Canes could with the expectation of departures
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$82,500,000$79,354,417$450,000$500,000$3,145,583
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$7,150,000$7,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 18, 2023 at 12:31 p.m.
NSH declines. Whether NSH goes for a rebuild, retool, or a reload Glass will be a sizeable part of that. They're not moving him for a 2nd, and neither player CAR is sending would be of interest to the Preds.
Ennis and TCP123 liked this.
May 18, 2023 at 12:31 p.m.
I'm sorry but a 7th D, a bust winger and next years 2nd would not come close to getting you Glass.
TCP123 liked this.
May 18, 2023 at 12:37 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
Why are you sorry for speaking the truth?

Quoting: EvanderKanesLawyer
I'm sorry but a 7th D, a bust winger and next years 2nd would not come close to getting you Glass.
Ennis and TCP123 liked this.
May 18, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
Quoting: EvanderKanesLawyer

Quoting: gmgb
NSH declines. Whether NSH goes for a rebuild, retool, or a reload Glass will be a sizeable part of that. They're not moving him for a 2nd, and neither player CAR is sending would be of interest to the Preds.

Those are certainly fair and understandable assessments. Glass was more of like a pipedream option. I think its def more likely the Canes would just resign a Statsny or some other vet center however one can hope hahaha. Appreciate the feedback
Ennis and gmgb liked this.
May 18, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
I don’t think that Keller is the type of player the Canes would have out assets for and pay 7+m for 5 seasons. I think Keller is a good player, but Canes are much more likely to use that level of assets to turn into multiple players, not just one.

I think the Canes would go all in for players like Meier and Tkachuk, but my guess is they could get the same as what Keller brings to the ice for a lower price tag.
TCP123 liked this.
May 18, 2023 at 12:47 p.m.
Quoting: Caniac555
I don’t think that Keller is the type of player the Canes would have out assets for and pay 7+m for 5 seasons. I think Keller is a good player, but Canes are much more likely to use that level of assets to turn into multiple players, not just one.

I think the Canes would go all in for players like Meier and Tkachuk, but my guess is they could get the same as what Keller brings to the ice for a lower price tag.

I can definitely see your point but my worry would be if we went all in on a guy like Meier, he would cost more that the 7+. Keller has ( in points per game) outproduced Svech on less money the past two years on a worse team and he is only 24. I figure if he continues growing as a player, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect him to continue at around or over a point a game less money.

Two players is a good option too but I fear that if we went that route would be one of those guys is Pulu and then Keller goes out and out-produces Pulu + whoever and then NYR or some other eastern team finds a way to deal for him. Appreciate the feedback!
May 18, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
I just don’t think that Keller is a difference making player to the level that the Canes would be willing to give up the assets required, and allocate money over the term that Keller has left.

Using Svech as the measuring stick isn’t productive as Svech is already on the team. The measuring stick would be the opportunity cost for what you could get for the assets and $7m+ AAV.

Quoting: TCP123
I can definitely see your point but my worry would be if we went all in on a guy like Meier, he would cost more that the 7+. Keller has ( in points per game) outproduced Svech on less money the past two years on a worse team and he is only 24. I figure if he continues growing as a player, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect him to continue at around or over a point a game less money.

Two players is a good option too but I fear that if we went that route would be one of those guys is Pulu and then Keller goes out and out-produces Pulu + whoever and then NYR or some other eastern team finds a way to deal for him. Appreciate the feedback!
TCP123 liked this.
May 18, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
At 24 years old, if nashville goes full rebuild Glass is exactly what nashville needs to keep around

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll