Forums/Armchair-GM

Buffalo Fans

Created by: Cory
Team: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: May 19, 2023
Published: May 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What would it take for Buffalo to trade Powers or Cozens? Please be realistic and not come at me with outlandish amounts.

Please also don't say that they are not available. I think time and time again, we see that everyone is available.

For instance don't say Conner and Helle for Cozen. Example, Hall was traded for Larsson. Both very high 1st round picks. So that would equate to Conner for Power in today's market. I am not suggesting that either team do that trade. Just curious to see how each city values their players.

Just looking for some real insight and not bogus requests. Let's also keep contracts out of it.
Trades
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$83,500,000$58,602,501$0$3,000,000$24,897,499
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$7,100,000$7,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 19, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Funksoljah
The problem with trading either of them involves how Buffalo is built and the nature of why they are built that way.

Adams has been a huge vibes and locker room culture guy. He has said numerous times that he wants guy who want to be in Buffalo, and Both Cozens and Power have expressed their desire to be there. Adams will value that much higher than he would an unknown quantity. If you look at the Eichel trade, he got a guy back in Tuch who grew up rooting for the Sabres and his dream growing up was to wear a Sabres sweater. You add the years of control, the contract for Cozens, and their potential given their ages and I'm not sure Winnipeg has the assets Adams would want for him to consider trading either of them.

The Jets have some excellent players, but most of them don't fit the age range for the Sabres core. They have some excellent forward prospects also, but again that is a huge strength for the Sabres as an organization. Their biggest areas of need are a top 4 Dman, and a starting goalie to bridge the gap to Levi being ready for the starters role. Losing Power instantly makes their top 4 D worse, and losing Cozens while probably not as painful for the team removes a player the organization loves and a kid who basically checks every one of Adams boxes and a few boxes Adams doesn't need checked. (size, compete, skill, wants to be a Sabre, good skating, great in transition, and he has some jam to his game).

Trade you Samsonov as an RFA and TJ Brodie final year for Jiri Kulich and a 2nd?
May 19, 2023 at 4:16 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Cory
Do you mean one of Connor/Helle/Samburg/Perfetti or all of them? You can't mean all of them, could you?

Yes going to be ugly, basically what you would have taken for scheifele when he first started second contract, and what you would have taken for trouba after his rookie year.
May 19, 2023 at 4:17 p.m.
Quoting: Funksoljah
The problem with trading either of them involves how Buffalo is built and the nature of why they are built that way.

Adams has been a huge vibes and locker room culture guy. He has said numerous times that he wants guy who want to be in Buffalo, and Both Cozens and Power have expressed their desire to be there. Adams will value that much higher than he would an unknown quantity. If you look at the Eichel trade, he got a guy back in Tuch who grew up rooting for the Sabres and his dream growing up was to wear a Sabres sweater. You add the years of control, the contract for Cozens, and their potential given their ages and I'm not sure Winnipeg has the assets Adams would want for him to consider trading either of them.

The Jets have some excellent players, but most of them don't fit the age range for the Sabres core. They have some excellent forward prospects also, but again that is a huge strength for the Sabres as an organization. Their biggest areas of need are a top 4 Dman, and a starting goalie to bridge the gap to Levi being ready for the starters role. Losing Power instantly makes their top 4 D worse, and losing Cozens while probably not as painful for the team removes a player the organization loves and a kid who basically checks every one of Adams boxes and a few boxes Adams doesn't need checked. (size, compete, skill, wants to be a Sabre, good skating, great in transition, and he has some jam to his game).

Great feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for. Don't get caught up in the Winnipeg Jets. Just the team I picked to make the thread with. I am purely looking for the value of those players. Not what Winnipeg has to offer.

You are the first person I have ever seen on here with a clear knowledge and known direction of a team. I hate hearing they are untradable. That is not even realistic in any world.

Great job!
May 19, 2023 at 4:18 p.m.
A big problem with moving either of these players for Buffalo is contract however. Cozens is locked in to a very reasonable contract for a 2c for the next 7 seasons. And Owen Power was a No 1 OA pick 2 years ago who hasn't been disappointing in any way.

Cozens being so young would mean that they would need to acquire a new legit 2C that has a comparable contract. Boldy isn't a C, but similar in value I believe for Minny and Zegras for Anaheim (who will likely bring in a higher AAV).

I don't believe that BUF would include Cozens in any deal for a comparable player though, because of his intagibles and the fact that he's a known commodity to them so they would need to be acquiring a player of a significantly higher tier (with term) to even consider moving Cozens.

Much of the same can be for Power, the value of the player to the franchise likely outweighs his value league-wide so they would have to be acquiring a player who is young, with term, and of a higher level of player.

Being strong down the middle and on D is extremely important (IMO) to winning in the playoffs so moving a young talented second line center and a defensemen who can already provide top 2 dman minutes for you is unnecessary
Birtle34 and Cory liked this.
May 19, 2023 at 4:20 p.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
Yes going to be ugly, basically what you would have taken for scheifele when he first started second contract, and what you would have taken for trouba after his rookie year.

No. No team would ever expect that type of return for those guys. Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. That's it. That's real trade value for those guys because that actually happened. At the time, Hall was better than Cozen is now. It has to be realistic.
May 19, 2023 at 4:23 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
No. No team would ever expect that type of return for those guys. Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. That's it. That's real trade value for those guys because that actually happened. At the time, Hall was better than Cozen is now. It has to be realistic.

Same reason why it doesn’t get done, Jones for johansen also
May 19, 2023 at 4:23 p.m.
Quoting: Arh613
A big problem with moving either of these players for Buffalo is contract however. Cozens is locked in to a very reasonable contract for a 2c for the next 7 seasons. And Owen Power was a No 1 OA pick 2 years ago who hasn't been disappointing in any way.

Cozens being so young would mean that they would need to acquire a new legit 2C that has a comparable contract. Boldy isn't a C, but similar in value I believe for Minny and Zegras for Anaheim (who will likely bring in a higher AAV).

I don't believe that BUF would include Cozens in any deal for a comparable player though, because of his intagibles and the fact that he's a known commodity to them so they would need to be acquiring a player of a significantly higher tier (with term) to even consider moving Cozens.

Much of the same can be for Power, the value of the player to the franchise likely outweighs his value league-wide so they would have to be acquiring a player who is young, with term, and of a higher level of player.

Being strong down the middle and on D is extremely important (IMO) to winning in the playoffs so moving a young talented second line center and a defensemen who can already provide top 2 dman minutes for you is unnecessary

Very good points. Let's look at it this way. Both players demand a trade. What is the value?
May 19, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
Funksoljah
Great feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for. Don't get caught up in the Winnipeg Jets. Just the team I picked to make the thread with. I am purely looking for the value of those players. Not what Winnipeg has to offer.

You are the first person I have ever seen on here with a clear knowledge and known direction of a team. I hate hearing they are untradable. That is not even realistic in any world.

Great job!

It's not so much that either are untradeable, just that it would probably take an act of god for Adams to consider it. Adams also looks like he covets some of his prospects, a bit like Regier used to. Apparently when they were in discussions for Chychrun, Armstrong was asking for Savoie or Kulich which was a non starter for Adams. I can't really blame him as both look like potential top 6 players, but he does tend to gush when talking about some of them.

Buffalo also doesn't generally draw a lot of UFA's so historically they've had to build through the draft and smaller trades. So when they get players who want to be there, and then in the case of Cozens they sign a long term deal that looks like it could end up being a bargain they hold on to them tightly.

Even in the pre-cap era they often tried to target under the radar guys or young players they were sure they could retain for several years. Guys like Satan or Hecht were low key great players, and ones like Briere and Peca were younger guys they could keep for a while.
Birtle34 and Cory liked this.
May 19, 2023 at 4:34 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Very good points. Let's look at it this way. Both players demand a trade. What is the value?

That’s a completely different scenario, then it’s a token trying to save face with some players to help instantly and some prospects and or picks, something shiny and a few fillers and some potential.
Cory liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll