Airport Team Day 3

Created by: JhonnyCanuck5
Team: 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 5, 2023
Published: Jun. 5, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Alright, come tell me how dumb I am…

Trade Chiarot and/or Petry (with retention if needed) in the 2024 offseason to clear up space for extensions. Perron and Kubalik also come off the books.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$850,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
3$1,350,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
2$5,500,000
Trades
DET
  1. Petry, Jeff
  2. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Cap dump and a 1st
for
2 2nds and a prospect.
PIT
  1. Sebrango, Donovan
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (VAN)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (STL)
  4. 2024 4th round pick (DAL)
ARI
  1. Fabbri, Robby
  2. Hanas, Cross
  3. 2023 1st round pick (DET)
  4. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
9OA, 14OA, a middle 6 forward, and a prospect

Coyotes pick between Hanas and Viro. Both are B/B+ prospects. Just a matter of wanting a forward or a D
WPG
  1. Zadina, Filip
  2. 2023 1st round pick (NYI)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (DET)
  4. 2024 1st round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
2 1sts, a 2nd, and Zadina for Connor
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$74,826,329$0$4,340,000$8,673,671
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NTC
UFA - 8
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$7,150,000$7,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$918,333$918,333
C
RFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
C
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$878,333$878,333 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$820,000$820,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 6, 2023 at 10:39 a.m.
Quoting: JhonnyCanuck5
Back to back down years, at that age, and that contract would take more than a low 3rd or 4th to dump. There’s a reason Pens fans have been trying to trade him on here for 2 years

Down years by his standards. He was top 100 in expected goals against, top 75 in expected shots against, and top 40 in expected high danger shots against. Offensively he was down.

If he were 1.5MM cheaper, fans would love him.

Also, Pens fans haven't been trying to trade him for 2 years, this was his first year on the Pens.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 11:59 a.m.
Quoting: Victor24
Down years by his standards. He was top 100 in expected goals against, top 75 in expected shots against, and top 40 in expected high danger shots against. Offensively he was down.

If he were 1.5MM cheaper, fans would love him.

Also, Pens fans haven't been trying to trade him for 2 years, this was his first year on the Pens.

“Down years” at 35 years old and 6.25M cap hit isn’t something that teams want to take on. Even at 5M he’s not worth it at this age. Fine, Pens and Habs fans have been trying to trade him on here for 2 years. Point is, no one wants him at his current age and cap.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
“Down years” at 35 years old and 6.25M cap hit isn’t something that teams want to take on. Even at 5M he’s not worth it at this age. Fine, Pens and Habs fans have been trying to trade him on here for 2 years. Point is, no one wants him at his current age and cap.

I would disagree that no one wants him. They might not want him as much as someone else but he is a fine RD defenseman.

I personally don't see the Pens trading him. He could have a better offensive season in year 2 with them. Right now, he would require assets tied to him to move, which I don't think the Pens are going to do. If they did though, I don't think it would take more than eating 1MM or attaching a 4th / 3rd to move.

But you can have a different opinion.

As for your trade, how much do you think Sebrango is worth, in terms of a pick. Like what overall?
Jun. 6, 2023 at 3:37 p.m.
So you’re saying that Hagg and Lindstrom are better and making 800K each compared to Petry’s 6.25M?

Here’s my question, can this Penguins team win a cup? No. Can this Penguins team compete for 1 more cup with its golden core if they had an extra 6.25M to sure up depth? It’s possible. Trading a first is a lot and probably unlikely. In this scenario, they did get 2 2nds, a 4th, and a prospect back.

Idea, in this scenario, yes you lose a 1st and that sucks. But you use one of those 2nds to get Addison or Durzi and you replaced Petry and still have 4M+ saved that you can spend on another player. And still have g try he other assets.

I'm saying Detroit's defense was bad enough that only two defensive pairings they had had a better xG% than the worst pairing Petry was on. Maybe you missed the fact that it was the worst one he was on and also that Dumoulin is absolutely cooked. The only Detroit defenseman I'd 100% rather have than Petry is Seider. The only other one that has an argument for being that good right now is Walman.

Not everyone will agree with your answer to "Can the Pens win another Cup with this core?" In his first media time in Pittsburgh, Dubas made it sound like he thought they could. And I won't bet against Sid, Geno, and Tanger until they've started regressing heavily. I don't really think they're that far back from their peaks. "Trading a first is a lot and probably unlikely." Yes, yes it is. Especially if we're not getting an impact player for said 1st, like a team trying to compete would typically do.
We don't need to splurge on a cap dump to clear space. 7 teams have more cap space right now, and the only Pens to resign that will cost them significant cap space are Zucker and Jarry if either return. We have just over $20M in space, and we'd have nearly $25M if we buy Granlund out. We have options. We don't need to move a 1st and a $6M top 4 defenseman, especially when the best replacement is Severson, a top 4 defenseman who'll get roughly the same cap hit as Petry.

In this scenario, we lose a 1st and a good defenseman and get nothing that substantial in return. Unless Addison or Durzi take another step or two forward than they are likely to, I doubt either of them would fit Petry's niche of "can succeed on top pair in a pinch". The Pens' unspectacular defensive depth would get worse. All to get rid of a player we don't need to get rid of, and make cap space that we aren't in desperate need of.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:33 p.m.
What available center would you suggest going after?

There's the rub, I guess. Not a lot of centers that would truly move the needle are likely available. Scheifele could be available if they are rebuilding (which your Connor trade would indicate). I'm not sure if SJ would move on from Hertl if the return was right. Duchene or Johansen could probably be had relatively cheaply out of Nashville. LA has a lot of depth and prospects there so they might be convinced to move someone if they feel Byfield/Turcotte /Vilardi/Pinelli/whoever are going to need roster room to take the next step, or maybe they are happy to convert guys like Vilardi to wing instead, sintead. We would probably have to deal a decent roster player or two to swing a trade with them. I think they are looking to compete now. I would be if I was in their division and conference. If St Louis wants a complete tear down, I would obviously have interest in Thomas, Buchnevich or Schenn. I think any of them would be no lower than 2C on Detroit and I think it would take years for someone like Kasper to pass any of them on the depth chart. Ottawa has great young center depth with Norris, Pinto, and Stutzle, but I doubt they are interested in moving any of them. They are lacking draft capital and we have plenty of that, I just doubt they want to move any of those specific players, though. More smoke around Debrincat. Anaheim has MacTavish and Zegras and probably soon to be Fantili, so they may be willing to move Strome if our scouts think he could play closer to how he did in New York with the cast of wingers we could put together, especially if we are adding Connor and Keller. We're probably well past the moving the needle point with Strome, though. Are the Rangers desperate enough for cap space to give us Trocheck and give more responsibility to Chytil? Vegas has never been shy about turning over their roster and Eichel, Stephenson, Karlsson, and Roy is probably too deep of a center group to not consider moving one if they need cap room again like they always seem to for their newest toy. In free agency, really just O'Reilly or Compfer. I can't think of anyone else worth considering, but I could be forgetting someone. Someone that didn't seem to be available moves every year around draft time.

I love the idea of adding Keller and Connor. I would probably be willing to move the pieces needed to make it happen. I would personally rather add a center of some kind rather than Tarasenko. Or at least only sign him if we need another winger to replace one we traded for a center. There was a time when I valued Tarasenko very highly, but he has had injuries and is getting older, which makes me hesitate. That being said, we don't have to give up assets to acquire him, since he's a UFA.

My original comment wasn't meant to disparage your roster, though. You would definitely be able to prop up Copp, Veleno, and a rookie Kasper pretty darn well with a group of wingers that includes: Connor, Keller, Raymond, Perron, Tarasenko, Rasmussen, Berggren, Kubalik, and Soderblom, and has Mazur as a call up option.

Our current roster has a lot of holes and issues. We have tons of LHD depth, but do we have a real first-pairing LHD? Only if Edvinsson steps into that role as a rookie coming off an injury. We have lots of decent/good wingers, but no top end talent unless Raymond takes a big step forward. We have lots of guys who can play center, but no one who feels like they are currently a 2C for a contender, and other than Kasper, no young guys who project to reach that point later. We need a backup goalie that can play a heavy load. We deperately need a RHD (or two) that can play in a middle pairing, but we have our top guy there at least. We need a top end goal scorer regardless of position. We need more physicality. Yzerman still has his work cut out for him, even as close to a playoff spot as we were a week before the trade deadline. We aren't a joke anymore, but we have a long way to go.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.
Quoting: Victor24
I would disagree that no one wants him. They might not want him as much as someone else but he is a fine RD defenseman.

I personally don't see the Pens trading him. He could have a better offensive season in year 2 with them. Right now, he would require assets tied to him to move, which I don't think the Pens are going to do. If they did though, I don't think it would take more than eating 1MM or attaching a 4th / 3rd to move.

But you can have a different opinion.

As for your trade, how much do you think Sebrango is worth, in terms of a pick. Like what overall?

I think Sebrango is worth around a 4th. I just think with his contract, Petry is an anchor at this age. You’re hoping he has a better offensive season next year but he’ll be what, 37? He’s a decent 3RD but only at around 2M. That cap hit really prevents teams from making other moves. I’m all for different opinions. I just think that he would cost an asset they don’t want to give up to dump.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: Haymaker26
I'm saying Detroit's defense was bad enough that only two defensive pairings they had had a better xG% than the worst pairing Petry was on. Maybe you missed the fact that it was the worst one he was on and also that Dumoulin is absolutely cooked. The only Detroit defenseman I'd 100% rather have than Petry is Seider. The only other one that has an argument for being that good right now is Walman.

Not everyone will agree with your answer to "Can the Pens win another Cup with this core?" In his first media time in Pittsburgh, Dubas made it sound like he thought they could. And I won't bet against Sid, Geno, and Tanger until they've started regressing heavily. I don't really think they're that far back from their peaks. "Trading a first is a lot and probably unlikely." Yes, yes it is. Especially if we're not getting an impact player for said 1st, like a team trying to compete would typically do.
We don't need to splurge on a cap dump to clear space. 7 teams have more cap space right now, and the only Pens to resign that will cost them significant cap space are Zucker and Jarry if either return. We have just over $20M in space, and we'd have nearly $25M if we buy Granlund out. We have options. We don't need to move a 1st and a $6M top 4 defenseman, especially when the best replacement is Severson, a top 4 defenseman who'll get roughly the same cap hit as Petry.

In this scenario, we lose a 1st and a good defenseman and get nothing that substantial in return. Unless Addison or Durzi take another step or two forward than they are likely to, I doubt either of them would fit Petry's niche of "can succeed on top pair in a pinch". The Pens' unspectacular defensive depth would get worse. All to get rid of a player we don't need to get rid of, and make cap space that we aren't in desperate need of.

I’m just saying what i would do if i were Pittsburgh. The trade would essentially be giving a 1st for Durzi/Addison(who I like a lot as you 2nd pair guys), a 2nd, and 4M in cap space. That’s not a bad trade IMO. That 4M can be used on a guy like Severaon or someone else. If Petry were 29-31 this wouldn’t be a conversation. But he’s going to be 36 next season. Most NHL players don’t get better at 36.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:53 p.m.
Quoting: Wolverrobert
There's the rub, I guess. Not a lot of centers that would truly move the needle are likely available. Scheifele could be available if they are rebuilding (which your Connor trade would indicate). I'm not sure if SJ would move on from Hertl if the return was right. Duchene or Johansen could probably be had relatively cheaply out of Nashville. LA has a lot of depth and prospects there so they might be convinced to move someone if they feel Byfield/Turcotte /Vilardi/Pinelli/whoever are going to need roster room to take the next step, or maybe they are happy to convert guys like Vilardi to wing instead, sintead. We would probably have to deal a decent roster player or two to swing a trade with them. I think they are looking to compete now. I would be if I was in their division and conference. If St Louis wants a complete tear down, I would obviously have interest in Thomas, Buchnevich or Schenn. I think any of them would be no lower than 2C on Detroit and I think it would take years for someone like Kasper to pass any of them on the depth chart. Ottawa has great young center depth with Norris, Pinto, and Stutzle, but I doubt they are interested in moving any of them. They are lacking draft capital and we have plenty of that, I just doubt they want to move any of those specific players, though. More smoke around Debrincat. Anaheim has MacTavish and Zegras and probably soon to be Fantili, so they may be willing to move Strome if our scouts think he could play closer to how he did in New York with the cast of wingers we could put together, especially if we are adding Connor and Keller. We're probably well past the moving the needle point with Strome, though. Are the Rangers desperate enough for cap space to give us Trocheck and give more responsibility to Chytil? Vegas has never been shy about turning over their roster and Eichel, Stephenson, Karlsson, and Roy is probably too deep of a center group to not consider moving one if they need cap room again like they always seem to for their newest toy. In free agency, really just O'Reilly or Compfer. I can't think of anyone else worth considering, but I could be forgetting someone. Someone that didn't seem to be available moves every year around draft time.

I love the idea of adding Keller and Connor. I would probably be willing to move the pieces needed to make it happen. I would personally rather add a center of some kind rather than Tarasenko. Or at least only sign him if we need another winger to replace one we traded for a center. There was a time when I valued Tarasenko very highly, but he has had injuries and is getting older, which makes me hesitate. That being said, we don't have to give up assets to acquire him, since he's a UFA.

My original comment wasn't meant to disparage your roster, though. You would definitely be able to prop up Copp, Veleno, and a rookie Kasper pretty darn well with a group of wingers that includes: Connor, Keller, Raymond, Perron, Tarasenko, Rasmussen, Berggren, Kubalik, and Soderblom, and has Mazur as a call up option.

Our current roster has a lot of holes and issues. We have tons of LHD depth, but do we have a real first-pairing LHD? Only if Edvinsson steps into that role as a rookie coming off an injury. We have lots of decent/good wingers, but no top end talent unless Raymond takes a big step forward. We have lots of guys who can play center, but no one who feels like they are currently a 2C for a contender, and other than Kasper, no young guys who project to reach that point later. We need a backup goalie that can play a heavy load. We deperately need a RHD (or two) that can play in a middle pairing, but we have our top guy there at least. We need a top end goal scorer regardless of position. We need more physicality. Yzerman still has his work cut out for him, even as close to a playoff spot as we were a week before the trade deadline. We aren't a joke anymore, but we have a long way to go.

I agree Detroit needs a center. Ideally a 1C to bump Larkin to being an elite 2C and Copp/Kasper at 3 C. But there don’t seem to be any 1C or even 2C available this year that I think would make sense for Detroit. I don’t want Scheifele(doesn’t fit the timeline and seems to have on ice and locker room issues). I don’t think SJ trades Hertl after signing him. Duchenne and Johansson could be options but are they really any better than Copp? Especially not at 8M. LA would be interesting but I don’t think it’s a fit because they’d want a top 6/top 4 roster player back to win now. Detroit wouldn’t and shouldn’t do that(unless Yzerman convinced them to take Fabbri and Zadina, which is unlikely). I don’t think Strome is an upgrade over Copp. The STL guys are interesting but I don’t think they go complete tear down. They can still compete in that division with Colorado, Dallas and the scraps. Ottawa isn’t trade a worthwhile center(Stutzle). Trochek I see as similar to Copp. Vegas could be willing to move Karlsson but I wouldn’t want him at his cap.
O’Reilly is the only FA option I like but that would only be a 1-2 year bandaid and I think he wants to stay in Toronto(possibly at a discount).
I agree on the skepticism on Tarasenko’s injuries, but even with them he still scored 20+ goals and I think he can be had on a short deal.
Yzerman is doing it the right way, building through the draft and weaponizing cap space. I think Kasper can definitely be a good 2C, but Larkin(who I’m a fan of) would be best at 2C. Having 5 picks in the top 43 will though.
For this upcoming season, I think Detroit needs a 2RD, a top 6 forward(ideally 2), and a good 2G to compete for a playoff spot. Without any moves being made, I would say Detroit’s lineup would look something like(when healthy):

________-Larkin-Raymond
________-Copp-Perron
Rasmussen-Kasper-Berggren
Kubalik-Veleno-Zadina

Walma-Seider
Edvinsson-__________
Maatta-Chiarot

Husso
_________

Wild card forwards:
Fabbri (middle 6/ depending on injury)
Soderblom(bottom 6/ depending on development)
Mazur (I think he’ll need time in GR but I hope I’m wrong).

Wild card defensemen:
Johannson (very close to NHL ready, could make team out of camp).
Wallinder (very impressive but could need a little time to adjust to NA ice).
McIssac (tools are there, just needs to stay healthy)
^The problem here is they are all LD.

-Rasmussen could move into a 2nd line role. Loved his development last year before the injury.
-Kubalik could play any line but is a 1 trick pony.
-Berggren could move into a 2nd line role.
-I expect Kasper to take the 2C spot at some point next season.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:11 p.m.
I think Sebrango is worth around a 4th. I just think with his contract, Petry is an anchor at this age. You’re hoping he has a better offensive season next year but he’ll be what, 37? He’s a decent 3RD but only at around 2M. That cap hit really prevents teams from making other moves. I’m all for different opinions. I just think that he would cost an asset they don’t want to give up to dump.

So by your estimate Petry would cost 34 overall to move? If that's your opinion, I won't argue it but I don't share it and I don't believe most teams would either. He is a capable defenseman who is slightly overpaid.

By hey, this is just for fun. smile
JhonnyCanuck5 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll