Forums/Armchair-GM

Smart And Logical Thing To Do

Created by: IDKtbh
Team: 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 12, 2023
Published: Jun. 12, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With an essentially bare cupboard of difference makers in the system at forward and RHD, we need to take advantage of the picks we have in one of the better draft classes in recent history.

There is no sense in jumping the gun and attempting to expedite our rebuilding process with the opportunity to select 5 players in the top 43 of said draft.

We’re not going to be competing for a Stanley Cup this year no matter who we sign or draft. This upcoming trade deadline we will have Dominik Kubalik & David Perron whom we can get significant returns for, not to mention any players we sign this offseason.

My thought process/game plan would be to continue to develop & stockpile assets and take our swings next offseason. Sign a couple stopgap guys and potentially move them at the deadline as well for more picks/ammo. Not only do we already have 2 first round picks next year just like this year, but we’ll still have ample cap flexibility, plus a much more attractive free agent market with potentially guys like Lindholm, Nylander, DeBrincat and much more assuming they’re not extended this year.

Trade Deadline returns:
Perron - 1st or 2nd round pick
Kubalik - 2nd round pick (traded this year)
Dumba - 2nd or 3rd round pick
Anderson - 2nd or 3rd round pick

Depending on the varying deadline returns; best case scenario we could be going into next offseason with three 1st round picks and three 2nd round picks.

*Taxi Squad represents 2023 draft picks in order of selection*.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
3$1,775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$6,750,000
1$5,750,000
3$2,425,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Leonard, Ryan
3$950,000
Willander, Tom
3$950,000
Halttunen, Kasper
3$950,000
Wahlberg, Anton
3$950,000
Hrabel, Michael
3$950,000
Kantserov, Roman
3$950,000
Nilsson, Felix
3$950,000
Trades
DET
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (CAR)
DET
  1. Yamamoto, Kailer
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Zadina, Filip
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (DET)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$67,719,722$0$5,257,500$15,780,278
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NTC
UFA - 8
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
C
RFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
RFA - 1
$878,333$878,333 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$1,775,000$1,775,000
C
RFA - 1
$2,425,000$2,425,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 3
$6,750,000$6,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Taxi Squad
Leonard, Ryan
$950,000$950,000 ($0$0$0$0)
Willander, Tom
Hrabel, Michael
Halttunen, Kasper
Wahlberg, Anton
Kantserov, Roman
Nilsson, Felix

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
Why do you think the Oilers would do that?
IDKtbh liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: OilednGreasy

Zadina, in my estimation is better player than Yamamoto and still has potential that could be unlocked playing with RNH, Leon or McDavid. He also plays a strong 200 foot game and is signed to a very favorable contract for another 2 seasons and is 40% cheaper than Yamamoto.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
Would be very suprised if one of Willander or Leonard were there at 17. Wouldn't be shocked to see them both top 10
IDKtbh liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.

Honest question. I'm not trying to be a c^nt
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Yamo trade doesn't move the needle for me. I doubt Oilers fans are excited either. At some point a rebuilding team has to take the next step. I'm not saying go all Kenny Holland looking for quick fixes to be mediocre.

But we can't keep using the "we need more picks" crutch. We've had more picks than most teams during Yzerman's 4 years as Red Wings GM. He's done a great job.

But we're in danger of becoming a "pissing into the wind" team if we don't 💩 or get off the pot. It's like we keep making excuses why we shouldn't make an impactful trade. 1 big trade isn't going to ruin the franchise. Or even dare I say it, 2 big trades.

Like what are we doing here? Do we want to improve or not? If we do then we need to get out there and compete for players. This team's future will be built mostly with Yzerman's draft picks. I get that.

But as we all know, there's no exact timeline when things will all come together. Young players develop at different rates. Some quickly. Some need more time. Some will be busts.

My point is I don't want to be here in 5 years sitting on CFACGM and wondering when we're going to make the playoffs. Wondering when this team can be in a position to compete for a Cup.

The last thing I want to hear in 5 years is how we can acquire more picks by taking on cap dumps. Or how many picks we can acquire at the trade deadline.
OilednGreasy liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
Quoting: IDKtbh
Zadina, in my estimation is better player than Yamamoto and still has potential that could be unlocked playing with RNH, Leon or McDavid. He also plays a strong 200 foot game and is signed to a very favorable contract for another 2 seasons and is 40% cheaper than Yamamoto.

How did you estimate that?
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:49 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: AC14
Would be very suprised if one of Willander or Leonard were there at 17. Wouldn't be shocked to see them both top 10

Yeah, I agree.

I have us taking Leonard at #9 and Willander at #17.

I think Leonard could be the biggest surprise of the draft and could go in the top 5 or 6, ahead of some big names so, I am being pretty optimistic with the Wings getting him at 9.

Willander on the other hand is getting a ton of hype, but he’s theoretically the #3 RHD behind Reinbacher & ASP. With that being said, all 3 of those guys could be gone by pick #12 regardless of order. Again, another optimistic scenario for the Wings to land any of those three at #17.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
How did you estimate that?

Estimate what exactly?
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
Ban Price trades

Edmonton's bigger problem at large is that they already maintain a gluttony of left-shot forwards in their system: Zadina could be a really cool piece for Edmonton to employ if he regains the kind of potential we saw in Halifax, but the Oilers are in a point in their window where gambling on maybes needs to be kept to a minimum. I think it makes more sense for both sides to consider Yamamoto in a swap for David Perron. Perron combines that highly desirable two-way play with offensive prowess, and fills multiple holes that the Oilers are sorely lacking as of this current moment.

I would start with a package of Berezkin (Edmonton's third-ish best prospect, mileage may vary), Yamamoto, and Edmonton's 2024 2nd round pick in exchange for Perron with enough retention to match Yamamoto's cap hit ($1.65M, or about 35%).

Berezkin recently signed a two year extension with his KHL club and won't be of any immediate use to the Oilers outside of as a trade chip. His ceiling appears to be in the Gusev-to-Radulov tier of Russian wingers, which I think Detroit could find useful. The draft capital is of obvious want as 2024 marks what should be the last true year of the Red Wings stockpiling prospects, and Yamamoto is an everyday third line winger with enough remaining upside to hold some viability in the top six if injury strikes.

This leaves the Red Wings room to do a proper slumping prospect for slumping prospect deal with Zadina, where there's more room for upside in any return.
OilednGreasy liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:53 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
Yamo trade doesn't move the needle for me. I doubt Oilers fans are excited either. At some point a rebuilding team has to take the next step. I'm not saying go all Kenny Holland looking for quick fixes to be mediocre.

But we can't keep using the "we need more picks" crutch. We've had more picks than most teams during Yzerman's 4 years as Red Wings GM. He's done a great job.

But we're in danger of becoming a "pissing into the wind" team if we don't 💩 or get off the pot. It's like we keep making excuses why we shouldn't make an impactful trade. 1 big trade isn't going to ruin the franchise. Or even dare I say it, 2 big trades.

Like what are we doing here? Do we want to improve or not? If we do then we need to get out there and compete for players. This team's future will be built mostly with Yzerman's draft picks. I get that.

But as we all know, there's no exact timeline when things will all come together. Young players develop at different rates. Some quickly. Some need more time. Some will be busts.

My point is I don't want to be here in 5 years sitting on CFACGM and wondering when we're going to make the playoffs. Wondering when this team can be in a position to compete for a Cup.

The last thing I want to hear in 5 years is how we can acquire more picks by taking on cap dumps. Or how many picks we can acquire at the trade deadline.

Right, I absolutely understand your point. My issue is simply timing.

This offseason is just not the year I think we should be making drastic decisions. It’s a great draft class and the free agent class is mediocre. Next year is the year to do what you want them to do this year. And I’d much rather go into next season with a bevy of draft picks that I won’t feel bad about moving and cap space to sign guys from a much more fruitful free agent crop.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Yeah, I agree.

I have us taking Leonard at #9 and Willander at #17.

I think Leonard could be the biggest surprise of the draft and could go in the top 5 or 6, ahead of some big names so, I am being pretty optimistic with the Wings getting him at 9.

Willander on the other hand is getting a ton of hype, but he’s theoretically the #3 RHD behind Reinbacher & ASP. With that being said, all 3 of those guys could be gone by pick #12 regardless of order. Again, another optimistic scenario for the Wings to land any of those three at #17.

Have you watched much of Willander? There's a good chance he's the #1 D taken. He looks great. Mobile big RHD that can skate pretty well. I am pretty doubtful that Leonard makes it past #7 honestly. And if nobody take Willander by the Sabres pick, which there are 3-4 good candidates to do it i would be more shocked if he falls past Buffalo. All of picks 6-13 could direly use a big RHD prospect. That being said, the forward group in this pool is so good it may push them down but I just think it's hard to imagine a world in which that happens.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Edmonton's bigger problem at large is that they already maintain a gluttony of left-shot forwards in their system: Zadina could be a really cool piece for Edmonton to employ if he regains the kind of potential we saw in Halifax, but the Oilers are in a point in their window where gambling on maybes needs to be kept to a minimum. I think it makes more sense for both sides to consider Yamamoto in a swap for David Perron. Perron combines that highly desirable two-way play with offensive prowess, and fills multiple holes that the Oilers are sorely lacking as of this current moment.

I would start with a package of Berezkin (Edmonton's third-ish best prospect, mileage may vary), Yamamoto, and Edmonton's 2024 2nd round pick in exchange for Perron with enough retention to match Yamamoto's cap hit ($1.65M, or about 35%).

Berezkin recently signed a two year extension with his KHL club and won't be of any immediate use to the Oilers outside of as a trade chip. His ceiling appears to be in the Gusev-to-Radulov tier of Russian wingers, which I think Detroit could find useful. The draft capital is of obvious want as 2024 marks what should be the last true year of the Red Wings stockpiling prospects, and Yamamoto is an everyday third line winger with enough remaining upside to hold some viability in the top six if injury strikes.

This leaves the Red Wings room to do a proper slumping prospect for slumping prospect deal with Zadina, where there's more room for upside in any return.

Great comment, thank you.

I really just used Edmonton as a team that may be looking to shed some salary and add a useful, cheap middle 6 forward with upside.

If Perron is of interest, which I am sure he will get a ton of attention from teams if he’s made available, that would happen at the deadline this season. I don’t see the Wings moving him ahead of the season and a 50% retained Perron could very well bring in as much as a 1st round pick at the deadline. He would def fit in nicely in EDM.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Right, I absolutely understand your point. My issue is simply timing.

This offseason is just not the year I think we should be making drastic decisions. It’s a great draft class and the free agent class is mediocre. Next year is the year to do what you want them to do this year. And I’d much rather go into next season with a bevy of draft picks that I won’t feel bad about moving and cap space to sign guys from a much more fruitful free agent crop.

I'm leaning towards keeping that 17OA pick because it's as you say, a deep draft. But those 3 2nds we have are telling me Stevie is going to make at least 1 trade. He might use one of them to move up from 17OA. So many options. We should be excited. I'm also high on Willander.

But I always have to be careful this time of year. I fool myself into thinking I'm a prospects expert and I'm not. The more reading I do the more convinced I am that every damn draft prospect is going to be a future hall of famer. LOL
IDKtbh liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 3:01 p.m.
Estimate what exactly?

That Zadina is better than Yamamoto
Jun. 12, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm

Kenny once believed Zadina was better than Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 3:05 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Great comment, thank you.

I really just used Edmonton as a team that may be looking to shed some salary and add a useful, cheap middle 6 forward with upside.

If Perron is of interest, which I am sure he will get a ton of attention from teams if he’s made available, that would happen at the deadline this season. I don’t see the Wings moving him ahead of the season and a 50% retained Perron could very well bring in as much as a 1st round pick at the deadline. He would def fit in nicely in EDM.

The price I listed was very much a "before-the-season" level of return. Depending on the package involved and how Perron's play continues into his age, I would not be against using that first round selection on Perron come the deadline.

But, I find it prudent to point out that depending on how the season shakes out, waiting until February may not be in Detroit's best interest. There is a very strong UFA crop heading into the 2024 offseason and the corresponding draft is not as revered as its 2023 counterpart. Teams will be more willing to move their assets for roster upgrades. It's not unfathomable that the package I listed remains the best that Yzerman can do come the three-quarter mark of next season.
IDKtbh liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 3:06 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: AC14
Have you watched much of Willander? There's a good chance he's the #1 D taken. He looks great. Mobile big RHD that can skate pretty well. I am pretty doubtful that Leonard makes it past #7 honestly. And if nobody take Willander by the Sabres pick, which there are 3-4 good candidates to do it i would be more shocked if he falls past Buffalo. All of picks 6-13 could direly use a big RHD prospect. That being said, the forward group in this pool is so good it may push them down but I just think it's hard to imagine a world in which that happens.

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if Willander is the first Defensman off the board. Admittedly I’ve only watched him play at the worlds and I came away really impressed with his game.

And yeah, that’s my hope is that there’s a big run on forwards that’ll push one of those RHD to #17.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
I'm leaning towards keeping that 17OA pick because it's as you say, a deep draft. But those 3 2nds we have are telling me Stevie is going to make at least 1 trade. He might use one of them to move up from 17OA. So many options. We should be excited. I'm also high on Willander.

But I always have to be careful this time of year. I fool myself into thinking I'm a prospects expert and I'm not. The more reading I do the more convinced I am that every damn draft prospect is going to be a future hall of famer. LOL

Well, we shall see what happens. I just hope we make more picks than we trade out of those 5 top 43 picks we’ve got.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
The price I listed was very much a "before-the-season" level of return. Depending on the package involved and how Perron's play continues into his age, I would not be against using that first round selection on Perron come the deadline.

But, I find it prudent to point out that depending on how the season shakes out, waiting until February may not be in Detroit's best interest. There is a very strong UFA crop heading into the 2024 offseason and the corresponding draft is not as revered as its 2023 counterpart. Teams will be more willing to move their assets for roster upgrades. It's not unfathomable that the package I listed remains the best that Yzerman can do come the three-quarter mark of next season.

Agreed. I hope Edmonton can get the right players around McDavid & co this year, most importantly a dominant goaltender. I’d really like to see him win.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Jun. 12, 2023 at 3:15 p.m.
Kenny once believed Zadina was better than Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson.

K. So?

I don't understand
Jun. 12, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers

Just from watching them play. I feel like Zadina plays a more complete game. I typically favor players with a more well rounded game although, he certainly isn’t significantly better than Yamamoto overall. I do however think Zadina would have better numbers than Kailer had he played in EDM his entire career.
Stats Are For Losers
K. So?

I don't understand

He’s making that comment in jest.
Seiders on the Storm
K. So?

I don't understand

I'm not surprised.