SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Question About Signing Free Agents

Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:04 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Can someone please tell me what the rules are regarding a team signing its own free agents?

I know that a team cannot sign another team's free agent until July 1. But what about their own guys? Does it matter whether a player is a UFA or RFA?

To put it another way, could Vegas re-sign UFA Ivan Barbashev and RFA Brett Howden tomorrow? Or do the Golden Knights have to wait until July 1?

I was convinced that the answer was "Yes" until I saw a comment to the contrary in a thread.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Can someone please tell me what the rules are regarding a team signing its own free agents?

I know that a team cannot sign another team's free agent until July 1. But what about their own guys? Does it matter whether a player is a UFA or RFA?

To put it another way, could Vegas re-sign UFA Ivan Barbashev and RFA Brett Howden tomorrow? Or do the Golden Knights have to wait until July 1?

I was convinced that the answer was "Yes" until I saw a comment to the contrary in a thread.

I think legally yes they can

Like EDM signed Ryan when he was slated to go to market yesterday, same with chicago for Athinoseau and LA with Gavrikov
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Yeah, Vegas could have signed Barbashev when they acquired and can now. Same with Howden.

The key to the July 1st date....is that a team cannot NEGOTIATE with an another teams player without their permission.
For example, a team might have a upcoming UFA they don't want/can't resign. They could allow that player to negotiate early as UFA, and make a deal, and wouldn't have to wait to July 1st.
The Jets could allow RFA PLD to negotiate a deal with let's say the Habs and Canes and if a deal was signed between PLD and the team, obviously the Habs/Canes would have a tentative trade aready in place.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: aadoyle
I think legally yes they can

Like EDM signed Ryan when he was slated to go to market yesterday, same with chicago for Athinoseau and LA with Gavrikov

Scary to think that the absolutely definitive Gavrikov precedent didn't occur to me . . . this is what a senior moment looks like in real time.

Thanks for the help.
aadoyle liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Scary to think that the absolutely definitive Gavrikov precedent didn't occur to me . . . this is what a senior moment looks like in real time.

Thanks for the help.

Now I could be wrong 0 idea but yea never saw a rule that said u cant negotiate with someone

I know u cant sign an extension before July 1 for some guys if they have more than a year left but never saw one saying you cant with a pending UFA/RFA as teams will want to prevent them leaving or potentially signing QO

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll