Forums/Mock-Draft

Mock 3.0 with Commentary

Mock 3.0 with Commentary

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: redwings_13_40
Published: Jun. 20, 2023 at 10:11 a.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Not happy the hawks get this one but no brainer
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-I still think Carlsson is a little closer than some think, but it's Fantilli safely
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Jarmo can't be too upset with this outcome. A top-2 pick in most years if not 1 in a couple drafts
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-The upside is too high. I am NOT accounting for any of the drama around Matvei potentially pulling a Jagr and wanting to go to specific teams -- but when you get a chance to draft a generational guy, you do it. Most prospects take a couple years anyway. He is perennial all-star / #1 pick in many years' drafts and you take that all day at #4 even if you wait 3 years. But we'll see where all this craziness shakes out.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-I think the last couple years we've learned a ton about D-men moving up. This could be a spot but for now, sticking Smith.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Widely predicted, although I have a feel he may be gone by #5.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Here's where things get VERY interesting. The Flyers prospect pool is not deep, and terrible at D. Andrae I love but he is not a top-pair guy you throw out late in a tie game at the NHL level. I think they want a foundational D-man here, especially with the wealth of forwards in next years' draft when I bet Philly thinks they're picking even higher. This is reliant on Philly believing in Sim's top-pair upside, but if you believe it, I don't think you settle for Willander or ASP here. A risk, but the payoff is massive.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-As a Wings fan I'm sad to see Dvorsky go here. His U18 level-set how good he is against his peers and how skating looks a bit relative to the league you're in (aka, he's ok, but not poor here). I like his game a lot
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-I think the Wings will be a bit sad with how this board broke, as I bet Simashev and Dvorsky are high on their list. Unorthodox for DET to go USNTDP, but Leonard is a great 2-way player the wings value, and has more goal-scoring touch than most prospects as well to scratch that itch the Wings desperately have
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Vancouver had a hunch but is sad to see it develop -- the 2-way D-men are all going before pick #11. Willander is too solid in too valuable a position to drop further. Folks had Korchinski, Mintyukov, even Nemec too low last year and need to learn this position is SO hard to get in FA that you need to address in the draft.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-I think VAN wants a more two-dimensional guy, but are a little out of options. I think they have Willander and Simashev higher here and will need to believe ASP can work on his rush defense and low-slot D and beef up to be reliable top-4 and not just a PP threat. He's a bit Hughes-y
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsI think a lot of teams will balk at Benson (he is NOT 5'10") but AZ isn't one of them and matches him with teammate Geekie. Too strong on offense and worth the translatability risk
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Buffalo has the luxury of going anywhere here and I think they land a true C prospect. They also look at Oliver Moore heavily.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-I think Wood got unfair slack for playing NCAA so young -- he really looked good for his age, and then was great in U18s. His timeline to the pros is likely shorter than some above him
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-I would have liked Moore to the Wings, but his top-end speed and upside make him a good swing for Nashville who has 1C upside, although likely 2C. Worth the shot at 15
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-Strong skater and shooter. I'm personally not the biggest Barlow fan but he's higher floor than many.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersWings bank a bit on Honzek being slow last year due to injury. Right now Honzek is so much more physical than his peers, which will even out. But he does play a nice all-around game. Lower ceiling but decent floor
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Jets may lose a lot of scoring the next few years and swing for a guy whose speed may be an issue but nobody is more proven (outside the top-4) in putting pucks in the net
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningI love Daniil and he's worth the projection variation for Chicago. He is so complete for his size and age and could go much higher -- I don't really have a great NHL comparable for him. Maybe Tuch on the wing? A bit Thompson-esque? It's hard to tell, he's so unique, but unquestionably talented
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Francis has gone more with-the-board than most GMs but here he goes off it -- I think Bonk has a solid two way game and rises a bit draft day.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Minnesota also has the luxury of doing anything, and Musty has great offensive touch
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles KingsSale is hard to predict, and unlike Wood who I think gets unfairly hurt by level of competition, Sale is a bit less dog-on-bone and I think that hurts his stock mightily. But the tools are there
23Logo of the New York Rangers-I love Otto as a well-rounded player and hope the NYR talent development system can help him become a middle-6 any situation C/W
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersNashville takes a slot-him-anywhere offensive weapon with some more risk in projection (small and not blazing skater) but with offensive upside
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsReally well-rounded player. Blues double-dip in Sweden
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsMay go higher, very solid player plus the premium on reliable defensemen
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado is barren in the cupboard and adds a scoring threat
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsI don't think this board broke at all the way Toronto would like, but still grab a capable defenseman who would go higher except for size
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas StarsThis will surprise folks, but his raw talent is fantastic and the Blues bet he will return to former form where he was a consensus top D-man a year-ish ago
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Carolina swings for a big scoring threat who otherwise may have one-dimensional risk
31Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersThis pick will be a surprise, but there's a lot of offensive upside to like even if Liiga was rougher for him this year. Been a trend with a few prospects in recent years, including Lambert last year
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-I think Vegas adds a d-man, although have needs across the boardin the pipeline Near-misses in the first round for me were several players whose NHL-projectability may be in question due to skating, size, or defense, including Brindley, Heidt, Nadeau Dragicevic. A couple I think could sneak in are Stramel, Morin, Dvorak, Fisker-Molgaard, and Pitre who fit the NHL mold a bit better but are maybe less developed at-present
Jun. 20, 2023 at 10:21 a.m.
There is NO SHOT IN HELL the flyers take Simashev here. Not. One. Chance.
Jun. 20, 2023 at 10:24 a.m.
Habs4Ever
Oliver Bonk isn't good
If he wasn't 6'2'' and not Radek son, no one would be talking about him
Jun. 20, 2023 at 10:51 a.m.
redwings_13_40
Quoting: sk540
There is NO SHOT IN HELL the flyers take Simashev here. Not. One. Chance.

I'm standing by him being a Top-10 / Top-12 guy until proven wrong on draft day. His upside is insane and his profile just doesn't come around often at all.
Jun. 20, 2023 at 11:26 a.m.
Quoting: redwings_13_40
I'm standing by him being a Top-10 / Top-12 guy until proven wrong on draft day. His upside is insane and his profile just doesn't come around often at all.

The most stacked offensive draft in almost a decade, the first pick of a new regime, needing to nail the BPA, and their gonna go out and REACH for a guy who projects to be there with their 2nd pick in the draft?

Would rather have one of Benson/Leonard/Michkov and then have a chance to get Simashev later on, maybe even trading up.

Or

Draft Simashev and have to take a gamble on a Calum Ritchie or Brayden Yager??

To me, you go for the best and then if you like another player a lot, find a spot he gets taken and then trade up with someone who is open. Several tems in the 12-22 range could certainly use more draft capital, most notably the Pens, Flames, and Jets.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:54 p.m.
redwings_13_40
The most stacked offensive draft in almost a decade, the first pick of a new regime, needing to nail the BPA, and their gonna go out and REACH for a guy who projects to be there with their 2nd pick in the draft?

Would rather have one of Benson/Leonard/Michkov and then have a chance to get Simashev later on, maybe even trading up.

Or

Draft Simashev and have to take a gamble on a Calum Ritchie or Brayden Yager??

To me, you go for the best and then if you like another player a lot, find a spot he gets taken and then trade up with someone who is open. Several tems in the 12-22 range could certainly use more draft capital, most notably the Pens, Flames, and Jets.

lmao
sk540 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 11:16 p.m.
lmao

yeah you pretty much nailed it brotha, well done
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:54 a.m.
redwings_13_40
yeah you pretty much nailed it brotha, well done

Arizona was wilding last night lol. not sure about you but I kind of love the picks, although dangerous to draft teammates if you mis-judge how MHL talent translates to the pros - doubles the swing and miss impact. I hope people don't think Shimy was a stupid pick just because Arizona was the one who made it but time will tell
sk540 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.
Arizona was wilding last night lol. not sure about you but I kind of love the picks, although dangerous to draft teammates if you mis-judge how MHL talent translates to the pros - doubles the swing and miss impact. I hope people don't think Shimy was a stupid pick just because Arizona was the one who made it but time will tell

I don't think it was a stupid pick at all, guy has all the talent in the world and a huge ceiling. I just thought in the top 10 of such a stacked forward class, that Arizona could've gotten him at 12. Maybe with Reinbacher off the board so early they pivoted. Another dman was taken after Sima until 11 so maybe they would've missed out altogether. I love But though and don't think either of those 2 will be playing in a Yotes jersey, more like a Houston or Utah/Portland franchise.

Love that we got MIchkov though, seems like it was a home run pick and from all reporting and what not, it does seem like he is motivated to be here after 3 years. Maybe they'll even feel bad enough about his father that they let him go a year early to honor his fathers wishes or something. Who knows, but I'm pumped.

Red wings nailed the draft too as per usual. Got ASP later than expected and at 9, of course Yzerman goes with a wild card that if he reaches his potential, will be a huge 2C for them in the future.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll