Cadyn - 2023 Mock Draft with Explanations

Cadyn - 2023 Mock Draft with Explanations

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: Cadyn
Published: Jun. 27, 2023 at 1:02 p.m.
Description
T-Minus 1 Day before Draft.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Welcome to Chicago, Connor Bedard.... Chicago is probably the least deserving team out of the bottom 10 when it comes to this future superstar, but yet here we are.... No doubt in my mind he will be an absolute Chicago Hockey Legend, but it'll just be hard to watch with all of their scandals in the past couple decades, along with the fact that they've seen so much success in the past decade, and the fact that this is rewarding tanking in ways of giving up good players for free just to be worse.. Can't wait to see this kid in the big leagues though.
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Pretty much sure-fire pick at this point, although personally I would pick Michkov due to his terrific upside, Fantilli is still an outstanding pick here. Fantilli has no glaring flaws in his game, he can literally do everything with and without the puck. Exciting two-way forward to watch, lit it up in the NCAA as a freshman, winning the Hobey Baker Award. Also showed signs that he can play a sound defensive game. Good size at 6’2”, not afraid to muck it up in the corners, and doesn’t shy away from a hit. Move MacTavish to the wing, a 1-2 punch of Fantilli and Zegras would be enticing for Verbeek and the Ducks management.
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-This seems like the most likely pick for the Blue Jackets at this point, with the Blue Jackets being rumored to be looking for a center with size.. Carlsson is an offensively-skilled forward. Plays with grit as well, making for the definition of a power forward. Lit it up against men this season, making his chances to make the NHL next season really high. Carlsson isn't the best defensively, but in terms of offensive skill and play-driving, he by far makes up for it. With the Blue Jackets recent acquisitions on D, and now a future 1C in Carlsson, their future looks very bright.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-According to Sheng Peng, a San Jose Sharks source, the Sharks are leaning towards Smith with the 4OA pick. Smith is a force to be reckoned with offensively, he’s produced magic in every league and tournament he’s played in. Mainly a playmaker, Smith draws comparisons to Trevor Zegras. A menace in the faceoff circles, nifty passer, and just makes his linemates better on the ice. He won’t give you much help defensively, but the upside Smith has in terms of pure offense is really high. There’s no denying the potential of this pick, especially with the inspiring performance Smith made during the U18’s. If the Sharks are too scared of the risk in Michkov, Smith is still a great pick here.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-As a Habs fan, I had to do it, there's no way I couldn't, cmon guys. I'd go far into evening saying this is the biggest steal of the draft at 5th overall. Michkov is just such a dynamic player, I honestly see him being a 50G 100P+ player in his prime. Michkov is ineligible to play in the NHL till the 2026-27 season, but the Habs can afford to be patient with the current state their roster is in. Yes, Michkov does have the Russian factor which turns this pick into being a very high risk high reward pick, but there's no doubt in my mind he's absolutely worth it at 5 with all the centers off the board. A future top-six core of Suzuki, Caulfield, Slafkovsky, Dach and Michkov has the potential to be one of if not the best in the NHL, and if the Habs are able to pick a top-end RHD in 2024, which it's heavy with, Kent Hughes and Jeff Gorton will have lots to look forward to in the future. Hughes said he wanted to pick BPA at this spot, so cmon Kent, let's do it.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-If Michkov falls, the Coyotes take him 100%. But if anything, the Coyotes need a new face on their backend to lead that new d-core in the future. While this season’s draft isn’t heavy with talented defenseman, Reinbacher however has all the tools to become a #1 defender on any team. Clearly the best defender available, Reinbacher is a heavy shutdown guy that reminds me of jaccob Slavin in many ways. Has some offense in him, but more so known for his shutdown ability. He just needs to be more physical against the opposition more, but whenever he is physical, Reinbacher tends to wear the team down. Other than that, Reinbacher has no visible flaws in his game, I do expect the Coyotes to be all in on this kid. Reinbacher is just such a sure-fire, safe pick in terms of getting a guy that'll for sure be a top-pairing defenseman in his prime, which makes him very valuable to the Coyotes when that's one of their biggest needs.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Ryan Leonard hasn’t earned quite as much attention as I think he deserves this year, mostly because of the quality of his linemates and the big shadow cast by Will Smith as the top player on the USA U18 squad. Despite that, I think Leonard is a great pick here for the Flyers as a highly competitive forward who only has one speed (and it’s very fast), has a hard shot, and some of the quickest hands in the draft class. Leonard just fits that Flyers mentality and play-style just so, so well, and is a player that I could see really flourish under Torts. Seriously one of the most underrated kids in this draft-class, due to all of the top-end talent. Leonard is totally a guy I could see being a 70-80 guy in a couple years. Even if the Flyers decide to move on from Konecny, Leonard is totally someone I could see fitting in that spot.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-He has one of the best defensive games in the draft, while still keeping up the ability to produce offense. But mostly defensive-minded, able to break up top-notch plays, use his size, and stick check without being overly aggressive. The one worry I have with Dvorsky is his skating, while being speedy he definitely lacks agility. But most NHL teams seem to care about size more than skating (which I don’t like), and Dvorsky has NHL-ready size.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-We all know how Yzerman loves his super-swedes, and along with the fact that the Red Wings have a strong need for a top-end RHD, and with ASP available here, I can't see them passing him up with Benson available or not. The upside for Sandin-Pelikka is extremely high, to be a top-end offensive defenceman who is still smart in his own zone. ASP is a bit on the small side at 5’11”, but the overall skill and dynamic skating he has makes up for it. A D-Core of Edvinsson, Seider, Pellikka, Walman and then still having guys like Wallinder and Buium who are on the rise, this pick could really settle into Detroit having one of the best D-Cores in the future.
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-A BIG swing and surprise for The Blues. They're on the hunt for a big upgrade on the back end, and I think Simashev can really fill in that need for them. Simashev is a great skater and puck mover for his size and is a high-upside pick. Think Simon Edivinsson style draft profile with a bit higher floor but bit lower ceiling than Ed had at the time of his drafting. He improved throughout the year and was very strong in the MHL playoffs and I think folks will be surprised how high he goes. With the Blues having little to none defenseman prospects, it seems smart to go swinging here on Simashev.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Some may call this a Tyler Boucher-type reach, but really its not. Willander’s defensive game alone is totally worth the top 15 at the very least. I personally don’t think it’s a reach at all, he’s 11th on my draft board but he would be much higher if the offense was consistent. But whenever it is there, Willander is easily a top player in the draft. Willander can break up opposition plays, just a solid 3-zone defender. Above average skating as well, and can create opportunities for his teammates. My gut just tells me the Canucks look for a defensively sound guy who is a pretty much all around safe pick. Oh, and he's a Swede.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsThis is 100% Cole Caulfield 2.0, but in Benson's case, I cannot see him dropping anywhere past 12. He falls in their lap here, the skill and hockey IQ he has puts him at #8 on my board. The Coyotes were all over Cooley in the first round, I expect them to be all over Benson this year. They could take him with the 6th pick, but I didn’t expect Reinbacher to be available at 12th. I don’t like that Benson is available here, but the Coyotes shouldn’t jump on the opportunity to get a guy that can play with Cooley and Dylan Guenther. Don’t forget he’s played on a line with Conor Geekie, their chemistry can translate into the NHL very smoothly. He’s a bit on the small side at 5’8”, but Benson has strong skating and just elite skill. Also one of the smartest players in the draft, the hockey IQ he has is unbelievable. Able to always make something happen on the ice with his incredible playmaking skills. The Coyotes should be really excited, Benson will become a fan favorite. I see a lot of Mitch Marner in his game.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Production alone, Perreault belongs in the top 10, I’ve seen a lot of mock drafts on this site have Perreault slip solely based off size. But like said before, skating is what wins over everything. And Perreault is an excellent skater. His game reminds me of Nikita Kucherov’s, elite playmaker with a booming shot. Consistent, and can adapt to the pace of the game. Perreault does need to improve in his own end, but the offensive skillset makes up for it. Perreault just adds more depth to an already stacked Buffalo forward core in the future.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Nate Danielson is a fast, intelligent center with no obvious flaws in his game. On a weaker Brandon Wheat Kings’ team, he’s established himself as the best offensive threat, leading the team with 32 goals and 76 points in 63 games. Among first-year draft-eligible players in the Western Hockey League (WHL), those totals rank eighth in points and sixth in goals. But what’s most impressive is that he takes relatively few shots, averaging just under four a game. He rarely settles for low-danger chances and instead waits for the best chance to score. While that could be a way for him to compensate for a less dynamic shot, he’s proven that he can do incredible things with the puck. The Penguins have one of the weakest prospect pools in the league but Danielson is a good first step in improving that.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-I don’t see Nashville leaving the first round without a defender. As we all know, Trotz loves his defenders. They haven’t feared the Russian talent, so it makes sense for them to draft Gulyayev. If the Russian factor wasn’t a thing for Gulyayev, he would be the first defenseman taken in the draft. The upside for him is that high, Gulyayev will solidify the depth of the rebuilding top 4, now that Ekholm and Ellis are gone. Gulyayev is the definition of an offensive defender and is the fastest skater in the early portion of the draft. He plays a lot like Cale Makar, highly offensive while attempting to maintain defensive standards. A project for sure, but with Nashville working towards a rebuild, they can be patient in order to get the potential out of this kid.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-One of the most underrated prospects in this years draft, if teams are looking for a dynamic playmaking center that is a pain to play against, Riley Heidt may be exactly the prospect they seek. The Prince George Cougars forward has taken a major step this season and is widely projected to be a top-20 selection in this year’s draft. Whether it is his speed, playmaking skills or willingness to get in on the forecheck, he has the ability to be a game-changer every time he steps over the boards. He'd add to an already great forward prospect pool in Calgary.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersRumor has it that Yzerman is heavily scouting Oliver Moore, if he is still on the board at 17, I can definitely see the Wings taking him. Moore has a lot of Dylan Larkin in his game, mainly a playmaker. The kid can fly as well, he’s one of the fastest skaters in the draft. Moore can shoot the puck from anywhere as well and his net front presence is also really good. Not as productive as Smith, Gabe Perreault, and Leonard, but he can become an effective low-end top liner, but mostly high-end second line center. Move Marco Kasper to the wing, then have a 1-2 punch of Larkin and Moore in the future. That would be a nice setup for success for the up-and-coming Red Wings.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-But is by far one of the most underrated players in this draft class. He is an incredibly talented player without an evident pro comparison. But he skates well, has great vision, and works his ass off (watch him backcheck) like nobody in the draft. But’s shot is heavy, a symptom of his raw strength and his shooting mechanics, and he can even be seen pulling the puck towards his skates in the moment before shooting to change the angle and make the opposing goalie’s life even tougher. This could be a very high reward pick for the Jets at #18.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningIf Barlow is still on the board, it would be stupid to pass over him. This would be a big steal for the Blackhawks. Barlow is clearly a top 15 guy in this draft. Solid winger that can play in all situations of the game, from even strength to special teams. Just a strong two-way winger, he reminds me of a lefty Mark Stone. Barlow’s arrival to the NHL may come sooner than expected as he currently has and NHL-ready shot and the proper size. Good all-around player that could be impactful for the Jets, but Barlow just needs to throw hits more. He has excellent physicality, he just doesn’t use it as much as expected. The Jets have tons of forwards that will or could be traded, stealing Barlow along with Bedard would be great start to this draft for the Blackhawks.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-This should be an easy pick for the Kraken. After setting up their future 1-2 punch in Beniers and Wright, they should now look to add a defenseman. And Bonk pretty much falls in their lap here. While the offense is slowly a work in progress, Bonk’s defensive upside is off the charts. Ranked #18 on my board, Bonk reminds me of John Marino in many ways. Can play in all situations, is able to adapt to the pace of the game, and can break up plays by the opposition. Offensively, Bonk is slowly improving, his best asset by a mile is his puck handling. In fact, his puck handling is one of the best in the draft, even when he’s pressured by a opposing player he’s still able to keep the puck on his stick. Bonk is also excellent on the powerplay, he has a booming shot and isn’t shy of mixing it up in the corners. Some may think this is a reach, but defensively alone he’s worth this spot, maybe even higher. Bonk will be a lock for the top 4 of the surprising Kraken.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-This is as far as I see Sale dropping, in the past we have seen Minnesota pick based of BPA with picks around this range, and with a stacked draft class like this, I don't think it'll be anything different. While his play internationally impressed with 29 points in 29 games with Czechia’s U18 and U20 clubs, his numbers with HC Kometa Brno weren’t as eyebrow-raising as some would’ve liked — especially with the talent that is set to go in the top-10 picks of the upcoming draft. He finished the regular season with seven goals and 14 points in 43 games, staying off the scoresheet in the team’s six postseason games. However, if Sale can find his game with the Wild, this pick could be a huge steal.
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles KingsHonzek brings a rare combo of size and skill. The size is NHL-ready at 6’4” and for a bigger forward, Honzek can skate well. The lack of effort without the puck is what puts him lower than most, but you can’t ignore the offensive potential he has. A multidimensional threat, can score goals and make top-notch plays. Just like Leonard, Honzek is a total 'flyers' like player that plays with heart and grit.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-One of the biggest steal of the draft by far. But I do think Yager is one of the players that will definitely fall. And its solely based off skating, which is what wins over everything. GMs seem to think that size is more important than skating, but its really the opposite. But even with Fantilli, the center depth in Columbus still really weak. A 1-2 punch of Fantilli and Yager would be ridiculous to think about. In Yager’s case, he is a really skilled two-way forward. He has an NHL-ready shot and is one of the smartest players in the draft. Defensively, he’s able to lead the penalty kill and break down top-notch plays by the opposition. But once again, I do think Yager will fall because of skating. While he’s fast, Yager does need to work on his agility. Also despite being on the dot 6’0”, he does need to bulk up. Will take a few years, but Yager will definitely be worth the wait.
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersWith Trotz's recent media press, I'd be shocked if the Predators go anything but BPA here. A lot of scouts label Wood as a sniper, but if you were to look at his play style much closer, Wood is clearly a power forward. Uses his size well and possesses a booming shot. Playmaking is also there. Pretty much offensively gifted is this Canadian-born winger. He’s essientally a slightly rawer version of Tage Thompson. Wood does need to improve his speed with the puck and his play inside his own end, but other than that, this is a solid grab for Barry Trotz and CO.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsSt. Louis got a nice haul in Dvorsky, I don’t see them walking out of the first round without a defender. A bit off-the-board, but McCarthy is such an underrated prospect. The skill and defensive smarts he has is just through the roof. He's a pure defensive defenseman, but offensive upside is a giant question mark. He does have the offensive tools to succeed at the NHL level, he just needs to use it more often on the ice in order to be present in the NHL. Get the potential out of this kid, and this could be a really solid pick for St. Louis in a couple of years.
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsThis is a guy, like Willander, who has skyrocketed up the rankings as of late. Wahlberg has shown excellent production in every league and tournament he’s played this season. A lot will say this is the biggest reach of the draft, but I personally don’t think that’s the case. His two-way game alone is 100% worth the first round. Wahlberg is a defensive-oriented forward, which is something the Sharks need in their system. Also fills the Sharks need of size, Wahlberg has decent size at 6’3”. Overall, an excellent pick for the rebuilding Sharks.
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-I think the Avs likely go BPA here, due to their already weak prospect pool. Stenberg falls right into the Avs lap. He is well-rounded and doesn’t really have glaring deficiencies in his game. He has great puck skills and the ability to generate offense – mostly with his above-average vision and passing ability, but also with his quick-release wrister. While he hasn’t mastered one sole aspect of the game, Stenberg play a strong all-around game. He wins puck battles, he reads the game well and often is a step ahead of opposing defenders. He’s a menace from a defender’s standpoint and his versatility in positioning makes him a dangerous player in all facets of the game. A solid pick for the Avs.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsNearing the end of the first round, I have the Leafs picking a guy that's been a late riser, and who could be a great depth guy for the Leafs, addressing one of their biggest concerns. Edstrom is a big, two-way center who has been slowly rising up draft boards all year with his play in Sweden’s top junior league. After a successful regular season, Edstrom joined team Sweden at the U18 World Junior Championship (WJC) where he was excellent as the center on Sweden’s top line. His performance there has rocketed him up many draft rankings (mine included), and has given him a real chance at being drafted in the first round in June. Could be a solid bottom-six center at the NHL level.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas StarsThis may seem like a reach to some, but he was a top D player in the class who has been riddled with what I think should be non-chronic injuries (collarbone stuff). With more opportunities to grow and prove himself this season, I think this would've looked like a no-questions-asked pick. t 6-foot-5, 203 pounds, Jakub Dvorak is sure to draw some interest at the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. A prospect who won’t turn 18 until late May, he played this season against older competition in Czechia’s men’s league and did not look out of place. A defenceman who plays a boring yet effective game, he has shown he can play physical and is able to clear the front of the net as well as anyone in the draft. The Blues future defense core gets much better with defensively sound prospects with Dvorak and McCarthy, which is one of their biggest needs at the moment.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Gauthier is quite an underrated prospect in this draft, having one of the best advanced analytics trajectory and stats in the draft. Gauthier is very crafty and deceptive with the puck on his stick. He has great control and soft hands to make moves around defenders and has the awareness to always carry the puck to open ice for prime scoring chances or setting up plays. He displays great patience and doesn’t force plays if there’s nothing there. He’ll take the time to fall back and wait for help to arrive before he makes his move. He may not be the biggest player, but he isn’t afraid to make a hit and apply pressure in the offensive zone. Carolina gets a solid prospect here at 30 that could be a solid depth piece in the future.
31Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersA lot of people will say this is the biggest steal of the draft, and that Cristall's ranked too low, while I personally don’t think so. Cristall was a projected top-10 pick at the beginning at the start of the year, but really cooled off later in the year. He's an awful skater and he’s on the small side at 5’10”. Really frustrating to watch sometimes, but the pure skill Cristall has could attract the Habs. Let Cristall come in and inject offense. He’s a pure playmaker, can make passes from anywhere. Also has an excellent shot, I would compare his game to Jeff Skinner. Cristall’s development will take a few years, but the Habs can afford to be patient. If Cristall pans out, he will become an offensive weapon for the Habs.
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Ciernik isn’t the biggest player on the ice. At 5-foot-10, he’s often physically overshadowed by his competition and his teammates; at the 2023 World Junior Championship, there was only one player shorter than him on the Slovak roster. But there isn’t a chance you will miss him. No matter where he plays, he has managed to stick out by being one of the fastest and most skilled players on the ice at all times. Some have even said he could be the best skater in the 2023 Draft class, along with Oliver Moore and Tom Willander. He can dip and weave between defenders, use quick starts to change direction on a dime and slide effortlessly around the ice to get into a position to pick up a rebound. A solid pick for the Golden Knights here.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
Fantilli 100% for Anaheim but most of us here think it will be a Fantilli McTavish 1 2 punch with Zegras on Fantilli's LW

who would you have going 33 to Anaheim here?

nice work as well brother, couldn't have been easy
Jun. 27, 2023 at 1:17 p.m.
WPGSK
Nice notes @Cadyn - But why on earth would WPG pass on Barlow and take But. I think But is a 1st rounder, but I have Barlow at 9OA.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.
Demidov to MTL
Quoting: GeneralLandro
Fantilli 100% for Anaheim but most of us here think it will be a Fantilli McTavish 1 2 punch with Zegras on Fantilli's LW

who would you have going 33 to Anaheim here?

nice work as well brother, couldn't have been easy

thank you man, yeah not easy with such a stacked draft class

i think it's depends who available for ana, i do think it's probably best for you guys to go BPA at 33 as someone who'd normally be first round talent is destined to fall in a draft like this, and you guys have a really steady prospect pool at every position too, so id guess someone like musty would be the best choice for you guys. and that's honestly what i'd kinda expect verbeek to do too, he's a really smart guy who learned under yzerman
GeneralLandro liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
Demidov to MTL
Quoting: WPGSK
Nice notes Cadyn - But why on earth would WPG pass on Barlow and take But. I think But is a 1st rounder, but I have Barlow at 9OA.

honestly i made this like two weeks ago but just decided to post now, yeah looking back now id 100% have but and barlow swapped, barlow has way more upside. i'll try to get another mock up before tmrw with a few changes like that. i definitely agree with you though, barlow would be a way better fit in wpg with their current makeup, and at 18 for you guys would be a huge steal
WPGSK liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 1:22 p.m.
Quoting: Cadyn
thank you man, yeah not easy with such a stacked draft class

i think it's depends who available for ana, i do think it's probably best for you guys to go BPA at 33 as someone who'd normally be first round talent is destined to fall in a draft like this, and you guys have a really steady prospect pool at every position too, so id guess someone like musty would be the best choice for you guys. and that's honestly what i'd kinda expect verbeek to do too, he's a really smart guy who learned under yzerman

I 100% would take Musty at 33 if available

I have him more around the 12-18 range
Cadyn liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.
Demidov to MTL

yeah i definitely agree with you three, the kid has got great upside. honestly he does probably go top 25 but i think someone of his caliber will end up falling due to all the talent in this years draft. if i was a ducks fan id be super excited for pick 33, yall are gonna get someone great there
Jun. 27, 2023 at 1:51 p.m.
power forward
I think this is a copy and paste of my mock. Most of the picks here.

Posted May 25th: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/714172
Posted May 22nd: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/712798
Posted June 23rd: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/730391
Posted June 22nd: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/729224
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
Bedard23

I have him at the tail end of the first round
Melch liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
Do the Wings really have a pressing need for RHD with Moritz Seider around for the next 15 years?
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
Donald
question, why do you have wood falling ten spots from initial projection? read his report, among the youngest in ncaa and most impactful. is there a red flag? good mock though.
mcsr liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:28 p.m.
Donald
Quoting: Oasiswings
Do the Wings really have a pressing need for RHD with Moritz Seider around for the next 15 years?

always draft best available not needs. thats for the wings to decide if axel is the best player there
mcsr liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:33 p.m.
Quoting: donald
always draft best available not needs. thats for the wings to decide if axel is the best player there

True

The wright up was based more on need then BPA.

AsP is not the top 9 in this draft
Jun. 27, 2023 at 6:45 p.m.
You mentioned the Blackhawks tanking.They played hard & even went into Pitt to knock them outta the playoffs
Jun. 27, 2023 at 6:50 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Melch
You mentioned the Blackhawks tanking.They played hard & even went into Pitt to knock them outta the playoffs

Did the same to Calgary as well
Melch liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll