Forums/Armchair-GM

Reinbacher was their first choice

Created by: jonh514
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 1, 2023
Published: Jul. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The passion some of the Habs fans are showing for Michkov over Reinbacher is nuts. Why is it so hard for some fans to accept that they did not make a choice motivated by fear, they chose the player they believed would get them through 4 playoff series?

Look at the Duchene and Wheeler buyouts yesterday. These are 2 x 55+ point players who were let go, not because they are bad at hockey, not because their teams needed cap space, but because they don't fit the organizational CULTURE those teams want anymore.

So when the Habs kind of let it slip that they chose not to draft Michkov based on Culture, why don't you believe them?

There was locker room drama in SKA that got him sent to Sochi
The Coyotes went on record saying he made them feel like he was not at all interested in coming to Arizona (imagine a draft eligible player saying don't draft me cause I won't come play for you)
Even if he looks like Connor Bedard on offensive plays, he looks like Mike Hoffman on defensive plays

Why are you clamoring to roll out the red carpet for this kid?

I can see a world where whomever is the coach in Philadelphia when he comes over gets fired the first time he benches the kid for not backchecking. That kind of Elite talent is so frustrating. Give me a down to earth kid like Bedard or Crosby over a selfish player who is disinterested in team defense every day of the week.

So happy we finished our D-core! I am so inspired by the courage of HuGo to get Reinbacher & Newhook. These are amazing additions a this team is gonna be so much better with them on board.

GYFHG!!!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
2$1,400,000
1$900,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$68,196,666$1,170,000$4,210,000$15,303,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:42 a.m.
Quoting: Shanesaw9
Why are we worried about the 22 year old having too much pressure vs the 19 year old? Besides, the reason MTL acquired Newhook is to give him an opportunity in a top 6 role, putting him on the 3rd line would be the same situation as Colorado.

Monahan - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Anderson
Slafkovsky - Dvorak - Gallagher

4 of the players in the top 6 last season were injured, Slafkovsky will get chances to play in the top 6 I don't think there is any need to force it. If they can trade Dvorak that opens up a spot on the top line while Monahan can be the 3C.

I think slaf is more important and has more upside than newhook. If you are going to do that then send slaf to laval to play in all situations. We have great players going to laval next year so that could work...I would not play slaf in the bottom six in montreal again.. he wont develop put anderson there before i would put slaf there. bit in all honesty laval might be the best place for him
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:44 a.m.
Fall River Habs
Honest question: Many people say that Reinbacher needs the chance to grow, as he is only 18. Same thing for Newhook’s growth.
Could the same principles not apply for a young 18 year old kid from Russia whose dad just passed away?
Maybe Michkov can grow as a person (as we all do from the time we are 18) and a player in the years to come. Maybe he deserves to be viewed as selfish etc. but maybe he does not (especially since none of us really know him personally).
I recall Ovechkin being criticized for his attitude and style of play when he first came over (I am NOT saying Michkov is or will be as perhaps the greatest goal scorer ever).
If Montreal still has Maillox in their plans (I know it was a diffferemt management regime that drafted him) then nobody in the NHL should be too quick to make a final lifelong conclusion on the personality of another teenager.
jonh514 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:45 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Why are we worried about the 22 year old having too much pressure vs the 19 year old? Besides, the reason MTL acquired Newhook is to give him an opportunity in a top 6 role, putting him on the 3rd line would be the same situation as Colorado.

4 of the players in the top 6 last season were injured, Slafkovsky will get chances to play in the top 6 I don't think there is any need to force it. If they can trade Dvorak that opens up a spot on the top line while Monahan can be the 3C.

I think they should keep the 6 centers. If they surprise with their play in the first half, they will need them to push for the playoffs (and I know I am getting ahead of myself and setting unrealistic expectations...)
Shanesaw9 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:49 a.m.
Fall River Habs
Quoting: danielcoe
it is a long distance check

You guys are SO WRONG
Drouin will sign as a free Agent, Armia and Hoffman will get traded to them and voila: Philadelphia has their version of the Legion of Doom line 2.0.

Reminiscent of LeClair-Lindros-Renberg in their offensive dominance and physicality.

I can’t believe you guys can’t see that.
jonh514 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:51 a.m.
Habs 2010
Quoting: danielcoe
I think slaf is more important and has more upside than newhook. If you are going to do that then send slaf to laval to play in all situations. We have great players going to laval next year so that could work...I would not play slaf in the bottom six in montreal again.. he wont develop put anderson there before i would put slaf there. bit in all honesty laval might be the best place for him

I agree to some extent, I would have had Slafkovsky in Laval last season, in my opinion he was forced into an NHL role he just wasn't ready for. Being 19 years old, I think he is ready for a consistent 3rd line role (2nd unit powerplay) and will move up into the top 6 either through his play or if injuries necessitate it. By the end of the season I expect Slafkovsky to be playing on the top line with Suzuki and Caufield, when that happens is up to him. We honestly have to see where he is at come training camp and the start of the season, this is all just speculation from you and I until then.

Quoting: jonh514
I think they should keep the 6 centers. If they surprise with their play in the first half, they will need them to push for the playoffs (and I know I am getting ahead of myself and setting unrealistic expectations...)

I'm all for that too, playing center myself growing up I think it is huge having a lefty and righty on the same line that can take draws on their strong sides. Monahan + Suzuki, Newhook + Dach should yield strong face-off percentages. Plus if you have an injury at center you still have the depth, it's huge. I would always try to ice at least 6 players with center experience, probably have another one as 13th / 14th forward too.
jonh514 and danielcoe liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:54 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: KentMcNally
Honest question: Many people say that Reinbacher needs the chance to grow, as he is only 18. Same thing for Newhook’s growth.
Could the same principles not apply for a young 18 year old kid from Russia whose dad just passed away?
Maybe Michkov can grow as a person (as we all do from the time we are 18) and a player in the years to come. Maybe he deserves to be viewed as selfish etc. but maybe he does not (especially since none of us really know him personally).
I recall Ovechkin being criticized for his attitude and style of play when he first came over (I am NOT saying Michkov is or will be as perhaps the greatest goal scorer ever).
If Montreal still has Maillox in their plans (I know it was a diffferemt management regime that drafted him) then nobody in the NHL should be too quick to make a final lifelong conclusion on the personality of another teenager.

Of course not. But they are making a very important decision with minimal ability to interview and follow the kid.

The previous administration (Bergevin) did not value player development. That's how we ended up with so very many 1st round busts, and very few NHL players drafted by the Habs.

This administration values player development. It's been one of 3 pillars of change they have brought to the organization. They hired analytics, player development, and skills coaches like Chris Boucher, Adam Nicholas, and MP Poulin and they want to use them. Drafting Michkov would have seriously limited the capacity for those team members to bring their skills to bear for the development of the player picked with the 5OA pick.

If Michkov is on the market one day, I'm sure the Habs reconsider him, but for now they made the decision they are comfortable with and we should support that decision, at least until the kid plays 2 seasons with the team.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 9:57 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: KentMcNally
You guys are SO WRONG
Drouin will sign as a free Agent, Armia and Hoffman will get traded to them and voila: Philadelphia has their version of the Legion of Doom line 2.0.

Reminiscent of LeClair-Lindros-Renberg in their offensive dominance and physicality.

I can’t believe you guys can’t see that.

It was a bit Tongue In Cheek. I think he gets an NHL deal.
KentMcNally liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 10:22 a.m.
Here's an observation regarding the claim that the habs drafted Reinbacher based on "need", I seen a lot of criticism towarsa the habs for this.

Two drafts in a row now the habs have made some interesting choices. In 2022, the majority of people wanted and expected them to draft the C Shane Wright. They chose Juraj Slafkovsky instead, but in another move they traded for potential C Kirby Dach because they still needed a C. So even though Wright fit a positional need, they either seen something they didn't like in Wright or they just hands down preffered Slafkovsky. Now here we are after the 2023 draft, everyone wanted them to draft Michkov and the habs knew Michkov or another top forward would be available to them at 5th overall, but instead they traded for Newhook. Trading for Newhook is an acknowledgement that they need a skilled top 6 forward (even if he has below average size like Michkov). They could have just drafted Michkov instead of trading for Newhook if they wanted to, but for whatever reason (maybe they didn't like Michkov or maybe they just like Reinbacher more) they didn't.

Drafting Reinbacher had nothing to do with positional need, and I feel Hughes words were misunderstood / taken out of context. Saying you might have cooled on Reinbacher if he was left handed is an acknowledgement that they do not need anymore left defenseman (which is true), not that they necessarily need a RD. The habs genuinely believe they selected the best players they could have in Slafkovsky and Reinbacher, trading for Dach when they could have drafted Wright or trading for Newhook when they could have drafted Michkov shows that they were not drafting for need. Whether you agree with their choices or not - no one can deny the habs picked what they believe to be the BPA for their team.

I think this is fairly accurate but will also say that they filled 2 positional needs in two consecutive drafts/leadups last year they probably knew they had deals in place or very close to get Dach so drafting Wright at that point made no sense when they could also get Slafkovsky. Same thing in this draft, they see Dach as a 1b or 2 C with Suzuki so we needed a W/C for the middle 6 they got that before the draft in Newhook so drafting another forward in the same skill teir as the RHD that you desperately need made even less sense than drafting Wright when they had Dach lined up. I always wanted Reinbacher to be the pick even if it was between Smith, Michkov and Reinbacher, the only 3 I would have taken over him would have been the obvious 3 (Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson)
jonh514, Shanesaw9 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 10:26 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Campabee
I think this is fairly accurate but will also say that they filled 2 positional needs in two consecutive drafts/leadups last year they probably knew they had deals in place or very close to get Dach so drafting Wright at that point made no sense when they could also get Slafkovsky. Same thing in this draft, they see Dach as a 1b or 2 C with Suzuki so we needed a W/C for the middle 6 they got that before the draft in Newhook so drafting another forward in the same skill teir as the RHD that you desperately need made even less sense than drafting Wright when they had Dach lined up. I always wanted Reinbacher to be the pick even if it was between Smith, Michkov and Reinbacher, the only 3 I would have taken over him would have been the obvious 3 (Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson)

I think Slafkovsky & Reinbacher have a good chance to be the Habs 2 best players in 4-5 years. That's good enough for me!
Campabee and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 10:38 a.m.

Again I agree with you here my only caveat is your lines. My lineup would be

Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan
Slafkovsky-Dach-Anderson
RHP-Newhook-Gallagher
Armia-Dvorak-Evans

This may be a dream scenario though lol
Jul. 1, 2023 at 11:19 a.m.
Habs 2010
Quoting: Campabee
Again I agree with you here my only caveat is your lines. My lineup would be

Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan
Slafkovsky-Dach-Anderson
RHP-Newhook-Gallagher
Armia-Dvorak-Evans

This may be a dream scenario though lol

I really don't think a line of 5'9" RHP, 5'10" Newhook, and 5'9" Gallagher would work - at least not as well as splitting those guys up and balancing the size throughout the lineup. Also Newhook will be playing in the top 6 I think, they already said they will be giving him an opportunity to play a bigger role (I don't think they would have traded for him if they wanted to play him on the 3rd line).
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
Hutson Reinbacher
Guhle Mailloux
Harris Barron
Xhekaj

The blueline is set for a long time. Habs made the right move. Its not a sexy pick. Unless youre picking Dahlin, Power, etc picking a D never is but over the last 10 years, the only D picked top 5 in the draft that hasnt panned out is Juolevi. Thats a like a 90% chance of becoming a top pairing star. Jury is still out on Byram and Drysdale since theyre young but Habs made the right choice. Fans are going to love Reinbacher
Just_A_Guess and jonh514 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 1:29 p.m.
I really don't think a line of 5'9" RHP, 5'10" Newhook, and 5'9" Gallagher would work - at least not as well as splitting those guys up and balancing the size throughout the lineup. Also Newhook will be playing in the top 6 I think, they already said they will be giving him an opportunity to play a bigger role (I don't think they would have traded for him if they wanted to play him on the 3rd line).

I agree newhook likely gets top 6 minutes, I just really like the tenacity potential of that line lol
Shanesaw9 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll