Forums/Armchair-GM

Deep Breath Everyone

Created by: pens1991
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 2, 2023
Published: Jul. 2, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There is still a lot left to happen in Free Agency as a whole. We've hardly seen any trades yet and leading into the Draft/FA period it seemed everyone was talking about trades from various teams. This also just wasn't a great UFA class in general. A lot of agents said they were anticipating guys taking lots of 1 yr deals given the potential for the cap to go up $4M next year and we definitely saw a lot of that today, or other end of the spectrum and guys like Engvall and Mayfield take 7 year deals to lock up their earnings.

I don't think the Pens ever had a chance on Duchene, he wanted to pick a team he felt was a contender given the fact he's still getting $$ from NSH. Killorn and Compher got overpaid, Pens wouldn't do that. Younger guys like Class/Jost/McLeod all wanted to stay with their current teams.

Could look at missing out on Donato and Geekie, but after that I think it was a tough market.

I'm not saying the penguins are a cup contender by any means, I do believe Dubas wants to try and put the team in the best possible position to win while also not totally leveraging their future. He's got a tight rope to walk after the mess Hextall made.

Eller is the one signing so far that confused me. He's solid defensively, and on the PK, but his legs have slowed down. If he slots in at 4C that's fine. Fine with the rest. Regardless of everyone's thoughts, the team absolutely improved it's overall defense which was a large issue last year. I also think adding guys like Acciari, Eller, Graves provides Mike Sullivan with more confidence to close out games. Last year he was sending Carter and Dumolin out there because at the end of the day Carter was the most proven/experienced bottom 6 player they had. Eller and Acciari should easily take over that role from here.

Think the EK talk is overinflated, just not realistic for this team. The top four of Graves, Pettersson, Letang and Petry is just fine. Pettersson played very well with both Letang and Petry last year and I imagine Graves will be able to do the same with either or.

I think they trade Granlund, if they were planning to go into the season with him I think the plan would've been to sign pure shooting wingers to let him distribute the puck to, that hasn't happened so they're going to try and move him.

3 goalies on the roster as of today, DeSmith seems the likely man out. People can say Dubas ran 3 goalies in the past or whatever they want, don't see that happening.

Chad Ruhwedel can do what Jan Rutta does at a cheaper value, I think they look to move Rutta.

We also still don't know about the QO's the pens sent, Smith and DOC would be the only two of the Five that would (I assume) stay up in the NHL, which further pushes the team over the cap.

What do we think happens? is there a surprise trade? (Bryan Rust or Jeff Petry).

If they move those three players (Granlund, Rutta, DeSmith) and if Ty Smith and DOC sign their offers, I imagine the below roster looks something like this, leaving room to sign a 3LW and 3C.

Curious to hear some genuine thoughts on what happens next, don't want to hear about what could've been as we are where we are.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
1$800,000
Trades
PIT
ANA
  1. DeSmith, Casey
  2. Granlund, Mikael
  3. Rutta, Jan
Additional Details:
**Just place Holder to move off team**
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$71,760,592$0$0$11,739,408
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 2, 2023 at 2:46 a.m.
To be honest, I would be very surprised if he does much else. He signs Smith and O'connor. Maybe he signs one more depth forward.

He is under the cap with a 20 man roster. He will waive either Ned or DeSmith, a few of the forwards and some the waiver eligible dman before the year start. Don't be surprised if he runs a 20 man to start the year. Injuries will solve the cap issues and he will then call up the guys who deserve it.

Petry has a 95% chance of being on the team, unless a very unlikely EK deal happens.
Granlund I bet gets a shot to prove himself. He is at worst a 3.5m player. There is a lot more than what he showed last year with Pits.
Carter probably also stays. Full NMC.

I have gone through several Dubas off seasons, and this seems about right, outside of 1-2 more depth signings. The past few years, the Leafs had crazy depth because of all the signings. But it will mean guys ike Puustinen, Nylander will have a rough go making the team.

We will see!

My guess is he signs ZAR and calls it a day. This is my wild guess :P
AlbertaRockies liked this.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 2:54 a.m.
Quoting: TMLBRIAN
To be honest, I would be very surprised if he does much else. He signs Smith and O'connor. Maybe he signs one more depth forward.

He is under the cap with a 20 man roster. He will waive either Ned or DeSmith, a few of the forwards and some the waiver eligible dman before the year start. Don't be surprised if he runs a 20 man to start the year. Injuries will solve the cap issues and he will then call up the guys who deserve it.

Petry has a 95% chance of being on the team, unless a very unlikely EK deal happens.
Granlund I bet gets a shot to prove himself. He is at worst a 3.5m player. There is a lot more than what he showed last year with Pits.

I have gone through several Dubas off seasons, and this seems about right, outside of 1-2 more depth signings. The past few years, the Leafs had crazy depth because of all the signings. But it will mean guys ike Puustinen, Nylander will have a rough go making the team.

We will see!

This basically sums up Dubas. I’ll give him credit though, he knows how to sell himself to a corporate board room and he has a skill for convincing people that his mole hills really are mountains.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 2:58 a.m.
pens1991
Quoting: AlbertaRockies
This basically sums up Dubas. I’ll give him credit though, he knows how to sell himself to a corporate board room and he has a skill for convincing people that his mole hills really are mountains.

would say 95% of GM's in sports are good at selling themselves, if you're not you won't be in the business lol.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 3:06 a.m.
Quoting: pens1991
would say 95% of GM's in sports are good at selling themselves, if you're not you won't be in the business lol.

Of course but what I meant is Dubas really has nothing to sell but seems to have a knack for bringing himself up the ladder. He’s that corporate intern that goes from out of college to everyone’s boss but no one knows how or why.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 3:14 a.m.
pens1991
Quoting: TMLBRIAN

We will see!

I don't think Petry leaves, I know the SJS talks are there but just don't see that happening. The penguins also to my knowledge (which isn't vast on waivers rules) don't have many waiver options on defense. They wouldn't waive Pettersson/Letang/Graves/POJ/Petry.

You've said this general statement before around Dubas, and again I'll say I don't agree at this point. I'm not convinced he was pulling every shot in Toronto and plenty other people have speculated he didn't have full power, and that possibly Shanahan was influencing decisions. Also, just because he ran a former team one way doesn't mean the next will be ran the same way, and we can't say we know that with Dubas as this is now his second team.

The situations are slightly similar between TOR/PIT, both have top heavy talent. Difference being that the leafs had nearly 60% of their cap tied up in 5 players (Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Rielly).

The Penguins have that same amount tied up in 8 players (Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust, Rakell, Smith, Letang, Graves) which gives them more flexibility to spend.

I don't think they run three goalies, and I imagine one is moved. I also imagine that there are more deals done, not sure what those would end up being but I do think he moves Granlund.

As for Nylander and Puustinen, it's tough to say whether or not either even are impactful, obviously there is only one way to determine that.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 3:16 a.m.
pens1991
Quoting: AlbertaRockies
Of course but what I meant is Dubas really has nothing to sell but seems to have a knack for bringing himself up the ladder. He’s that corporate intern that goes from out of college to everyone’s boss but no one knows how or why.

I think that's just the changing environment in sports as analytics have taken a stronger hold. Lots of younger and newer minds in the sport. Kyle Davidson is running a similar path
Jul. 2, 2023 at 7:02 a.m.
I think Eller is their 3 C. Then Dubas will use the 6MM to sign a 3 LW, a 4 C, and a 3 RD

If he can't find a decent RD, he keeps Rutta

Look for a trade of Granlund with a LW or RW of similar ill fit on their team.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 9:00 p.m.
pens1991
Quoting: Victor24
I think Eller is their 3 C. Then Dubas will use the 6MM to sign a 3 LW, a 4 C, and a 3 RD

If he can't find a decent RD, he keeps Rutta

Look for a trade of Granlund with a LW or RW of similar ill fit on their team.

Yeah i figured a player for player swap for Granlund would be likely, but idk who that player is.
Victor24 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll