Forums/Armchair-GM

Year Three of Rebuild

Created by: RichV
Team: 2024-25 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 4, 2023
Published: Jul. 4, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Nazar, Moore and Korchinski with another year of growth and experience will be ready to be full time players. Vlasic, Kaiser and Reichel will be better with a year+ of NHL experience. The key is the 33M of salary cap space. KD will get the right players so that we can with with many players on their ELC. The rebuild is fast tracked. I realize not all of these hyped players will pan out , but KD has done a masterful job of giving us so any options now and more in the pipeline not even signed yet in this forecast.

The summer of Bedard was fun, but I think the summer of 24 will be even more fun prognosticating future Hawks and realizing just how far we have come in such a short amount of time..

Speculate away.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
3$950,000
3$950,000
3$950,000
2$950,000
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
3$1,900,000
3$4,500,000
2$2,000,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,200,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
18$83,500,000$50,489,167$0$1,850,000$33,010,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
RFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
LD
RFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$962,500$962,500
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
G
RFA - 2
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 4, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for a "fast tracked rebuild". It is still going to take as long as it is going to take. Even if these kids look great at lower levels next season, it generally takes at least 2-3 seasons in the NHL to really become what they are going to be, sometimes even more and rarely less. So, that would put CHI at about 4 years, including the 23-24 season, before they are re-entering the playoff picture in any serious capacity, and that is still probably a stretch. But, yeah, the future is looking very bright for CHI!
Snowhawk18 and RichV liked this.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 2:37 p.m.
LIVIN ON A PRAYER
Quoting: Garak
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for a "fast tracked rebuild". It is still going to take as long as it is going to take. Even if these kids look great at lower levels next season, it generally takes at least 2-3 seasons in the NHL to really become what they are going to be, sometimes even more and rarely less. So, that would put CHI at about 4 years, including the 23-24 season, before they are re-entering the playoff picture in any serious capacity, and that is still probably a stretch. But, yeah, the future is looking very bright for CHI!

To echo this sentiment, it the McDavid Oilers spent three of the four seasons following his draft year well outside of a playoff spot, and there's a very strong argument to be made that McDavid had more of an NHL roster supporting him than Bedard is currently getting out of the Blackhawks. Full credit to Chicago, I think there are pieces in their system far better than what Edmonton had at the time (save for Draisaitl) but the Blackhawks are likely going to endure pain throughout the entirety of Bedard's ELC.

I would be personally fearful of having that much cap space and the potential for an ownership group wanting to win now. That's how you get locked into really ugly deals. I think the ideal course for Chicago is to continue accumulating picks but to start considering trading those for established players that would immediately fill holes around the "Bedard Cluster" (Korchinski, Reichel, Nazar, etc). I think Ryan Lindgren should be one of those names that the Hawks keep an eye on, as well as any of the top prospects in Buffalo that will eventually shake loose due to roster constraints.
Garak and Snowhawk18 liked this.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 2:51 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
To echo this sentiment, it the McDavid Oilers spent three of the four seasons following his draft year well outside of a playoff spot, and there's a very strong argument to be made that McDavid had more of an NHL roster supporting him than Bedard is currently getting out of the Blackhawks. Full credit to Chicago, I think there are pieces in their system far better than what Edmonton had at the time (save for Draisaitl) but the Blackhawks are likely going to endure pain throughout the entirety of Bedard's ELC.

I would be personally fearful of having that much cap space and the potential for an ownership group wanting to win now. That's how you get locked into really ugly deals. I think the ideal course for Chicago is to continue accumulating picks but to start considering trading those for established players that would immediately fill holes around the "Bedard Cluster" (Korchinski, Reichel, Nazar, etc). I think Ryan Lindgren should be one of those names that the Hawks keep an eye on, as well as any of the top prospects in Buffalo that will eventually shake loose due to roster constraints.

The fan base and ownership have bought in on the long term approach. There is no fear of that happening. Rocky is essentially done having a hand in this team outside of being the owner and this long term measured approach to the rebuild is almost entirely his sons baby. Which means he is committed to it. They want to build from within and make sure they have money to pay players when contracts come due. More importantly, the fans have bought in which gives them the flexibility to take their time.

Anyway, There are very few players I would consider trading for to immediately fill holes. Most I just straight up wouldn't do it, and others will cost entirely too much. Lindgren is not an option, we have way too many LHD as it is, and by the time we work through them and figure out whether we need to make a trade or dip into free agency, there will likely be better options than him. Bedard knows what he is coming into. Winning isn't the most important thing and it isn't going to "ruin him" if we aren't a playoff team within 2 or 3 years. CHI really doesn't need to do anything. The more important things have already been addressed, the rest will come along organically. There are certainly some things I disagree with that this new Hawks regime has done, but overall I think they are doing things right and it shows.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
LIVIN ON A PRAYER
The fan base and ownership have bought in on the long term approach. There is no fear of that happening. Rocky is essentially done having a hand in this team outside of being the owner and this long term measured approach to the rebuild is almost entirely his sons baby. Which means he is committed to it. They want to build from within and make sure they have money to pay players when contracts come due. More importantly, the fans have bought in which gives them the flexibility to take their time.

Anyway, There are very few players I would consider trading for to immediately fill holes. Most I just straight up wouldn't do it, and others will cost entirely too much. Lindgren is not an option, we have way too many LHD as it is, and by the time we work through them and figure out whether we need to make a trade or dip into free agency, there will likely be better options than him. Bedard knows what he is coming into. Winning isn't the most important thing and it isn't going to "ruin him" if we aren't a playoff team within 2 or 3 years. CHI really doesn't need to do anything. The more important things have already been addressed, the rest will come along organically. There are certainly some things I disagree with that this new Hawks regime has done, but overall I think they are doing things right and it shows.

I might be very early to this party but the Blackhawks only have one LHD that's currently expected to be better than what Lindgren is today. Korchinski looks like a left-handed Letang, and that's going to be fun to watch for years.

All respect to Allan and Del Maestro, I really like the two of them as prospects, but you're hoping that one of them gets to the same level as what Lindgren is at today. If next summer rolls around and the cap-strapped Rangers will take one of those two fine young men and a third round selection, you beat feet to the nearest pen and sign on the dotted line.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 3:10 p.m.
I might be very early to this party but the Blackhawks only have one LHD that's currently expected to be better than what Lindgren is today. Korchinski looks like a left-handed Letang, and that's going to be fun to watch for years.

All respect to Allan and Del Maestro, I really like the two of them as prospects, but you're hoping that one of them gets to the same level as what Lindgren is at today. If next summer rolls around and the cap-strapped Rangers will take one of those two fine young men and a third round selection, you beat feet to the nearest pen and sign on the dotted line.

We have much more than just those two. Phillips, Vlasic, Kaiser, Del Mastro, Allan, and Harding, all have legit NHL upside. Plus, by the time CHI is ready to be a serious cup contender, Lindgren with be close to or over 30 years old. There is no point in doing that. If CHI were seriously considering bringing in a vet now, there are likely much better options that won't cost nearly as much. In fact, I'd much rather just offer sheet Miller for a 2nd round pick and call it a day, if we were gonna go the route of a more established left shot NHL defenseman. Doesn't make sense. CHI won't do that.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.
LIVIN ON A PRAYER
We have much more than just those two. Phillips, Vlasic, Kaiser, Del Mastro, Allan, and Harding, all have legit NHL upside. Plus, by the time CHI is ready to be a serious cup contender, Lindgren with be close to or over 30 years old. There is no point in doing that. If CHI were seriously considering bringing in a vet now, there are likely much better options that won't cost nearly as much. In fact, I'd much rather just offer sheet Miller for a 2nd round pick and call it a day, if we were gonna go the route of a more established left shot NHL defenseman. Doesn't make sense. CHI won't do that.

NHL upside yes, but don't expect any of those men beyond Del Maestro and Allan to have top-4 upside. This very much seems like a case of getting excited off of your own pool of prospects - nothing wrong with that - but these development curves are hardly linear. The point you're missing is that Chicago wholly lacks the roster support to be anything beyond a lottery team over the next three seasons. The Hawks still need pieces today to help grow the players of tomorrow.

Alternatively, try looking at this from the assumption that all of the names you listed could develop into a top four role: what pieces are here now to help get them from prospect to prize? If the name of the game is to prevent young players from taking on more responsibility than they're currently ready for, why to the Blackhawks currently employ zero NHL LHD? The bin of skaters left is uninspiring but could get the Blackhawks by for another year, while insulating one or two young defenders at the bottom of the roster and leaving miles of open ice for the prospects in the AHL.

Acquiring Lindgren next offseason continues to solve that problem without leaving the Blackhawks saddled with a functionally useless contract. He is young enough that he can help bring the Hawks to contender status and still be a middle-of-the-roster piece. Even by way of offer sheet would be fine, but I wouldn't consider this a realistic option because they never happen.

Quite honestly, take a run at Dahlin or Sandin if that better suits your fancy. Lindgren's name only came to mind because the Rangers are going to be in serious cap hell post-Miller extension so the acquisition price should be reasonably low. The overarching issue remains the same and acquiring any solid top-four to top-pair piece only serves to do the Blackhawks good. I didn't realize this was a point of contention amongst yourself.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 4:01 p.m.
NHL upside yes, but don't expect any of those men beyond Del Maestro and Allan to have top-4 upside. This very much seems like a case of getting excited off of your own pool of prospects - nothing wrong with that - but these development curves are hardly linear. The point you're missing is that Chicago wholly lacks the roster support to be anything beyond a lottery team over the next three seasons. The Hawks still need pieces today to help grow the players of tomorrow.

Alternatively, try looking at this from the assumption that all of the names you listed could develop into a top four role: what pieces are here now to help get them from prospect to prize? If the name of the game is to prevent young players from taking on more responsibility than they're currently ready for, why to the Blackhawks currently employ zero NHL LHD? The bin of skaters left is uninspiring but could get the Blackhawks by for another year, while insulating one or two young defenders at the bottom of the roster and leaving miles of open ice for the prospects in the AHL.

Acquiring Lindgren next offseason continues to solve that problem without leaving the Blackhawks saddled with a functionally useless contract. He is young enough that he can help bring the Hawks to contender status and still be a middle-of-the-roster piece. Even by way of offer sheet would be fine, but I wouldn't consider this a realistic option because they never happen.

Quite honestly, take a run at Dahlin or Sandin if that better suits your fancy. Lindgren's name only came to mind because the Rangers are going to be in serious cap hell post-Miller extension so the acquisition price should be reasonably low. The overarching issue remains the same and acquiring any solid top-four to top-pair piece only serves to do the Blackhawks good. I didn't realize this was a point of contention amongst yourself.

No offense, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about when it comes to CHI's pipeline, coaching, or rebuild plans. This has nothing to do with being high on my own pool, and everything to do with what Davidson has clearly stated they want to and are going to do, as well as what they have demonstrated so far. If you consider those things, the plan is quite obvious.

Phillips has legitimately been one of the best all around left shot defensemen in the AHL the last two years and is only 21 years old. Vlasic has shown, albeit in a small sample size, that he can defend effectively against high end NHL talent. Also in a limited sample size, Kaiser came in at the end of last season straight out of college and looked like the most polished and ready defensemen I've seen come out of CHI's pipeline in a very long time, like he could legitimately be a difference maker. Allan is probably the biggest question mark of them all, although I like him a lot more than he gets credit for. I have very high hopes for Del Mastro, he seems like the most natural leader, great communicator on the ice, plays big minutes, big body, strong defender and has some legit offense to his game.

I'm not saying any of them are a sure thing to become top 4 defensemen, but we have way too many LHD to work through over the next few years as it is without expending assets on veterans that would essentially have no place in the future of the Blackhawks and creating roadblocks for our young LHD to come in and learn the NHL ropes and prove themselves. It would be counter productive. The players and coaches that will help them along are already in our system. They are big boys and they will be fine. I could certainly see them adding one defenseman on a one or two year deal or taking a cap dump LHD like Martinez, for example, to eat minutes, thus leaving only two LHD slots for the younger guys to fight over, but they certainly aren't going to pay for them in a trade. I'm sure at some point during camp or the 23-24 season it will become a lot clearer whether we need to do that or not. But if what we've seen from guys like Vlasic, Kaiser, and Phillips, so far, is any indication, they won't need to. They just need to give these guys NHL opportunities and legit ice time and they will come along just fine.
BeterChiarelli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll