KAndre - Laffy Part 1

Created by: gdli
Team: 2023-24 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 9, 2023
Published: Jul. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Assumptions:

With the Rangers are unable to match a competing offer sheet, they choose to trade Lafrenière's signing rights.

Re: K'Andre, I'd go no higher than $4.5M at this time. There is a substantial audience out there that believe K'Andre lacks or refuses to exhibit toughness. Not to mention he prone to taking" nights off." These observations are not without merit.

Unlike the Ranger front office, who I've watched for 65+ years specialize in overpaying, in many cases "past their sell by date" players, they need to grow a spine and impose some fiscal discipline.

Since K'Andre is the subject, is he as affective without Trouba? Personally I think he would benefit from playing with Braden.

For the launch K'Andre out the torpedo tubes crowd and retain Laffy stay tuned. That will be the next edition.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$775,000
2$775,000
2$775,000
3$4,000,000
Trades
NYR
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (NSH)
Additional Details:
Other potential teams are ARI / ANA / SJS / SEA / DET
NSH
  1. Lafrenière, Alexis [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$81,402,916$610,892$882,500$2,097,084
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW
RFA - 1
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,437,500$4,437,500
C, LW
UFA - 4
$787,500$787,500
RW
UFA - 1
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,666,667$5,666,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$825,000$825,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
LD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW
RFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 10, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: GoofyFoFoofy
If you want a value I would sell Laf for, I'd do it for at the very least a top 16 pick + a cost controlled RW with upside. In this scenario if we're backed into a corner a 2nd is already WAY too low of a haul. If a team offers less than 5m we can just ship off Goodrow (throw in a 1st if we have to) with a few picks to make room to match, so that already puts the minimum value (offer sheet compensation) at a 1st + a 3rd, then cue a bidding war of teams trying to upscale Montreal's offer sheet of a high 1st + 3rd, the value will defintiely get a LOT higher than just a 2nd rounder. He's the former 1OA pick who still has a lot of upside I don't get how you can be fine with letting him go for chump change.

First, I want to state for the record that I respect the fact that you provided a specific response to my previous post. That's more or less what I was looking for. Second, I hope we can keep both K'Andre and Laffy. I think Laffy is on the verge, but I want to see it.

I have one or two other posts on this subject. The responses I've been receiving are split about 50-50 between something along the lines that your proposing and that I am proposing. I think you're a bit optimistic, but in the end it's all speculation anyway. I happy with yours is the best case for sure, and mine being the worst case. The truth, as it often does, lies somewhere in between. In support of my position, I will note that Laffy's draft year did not provide the strongest list of candidates. He hasn't developed like Eichel or Hischier ......... I don't know if there are enough interested teams out there to get a bidding war going, but if that were the case, I the possibility of a 1st rounder certainly increases.

Goodrow: I have to share with you the prevailing sentiment amongst Ranger fans that I have seen is lose to Barclay, the sooner the better. And I am in this camp. The problem is there is absolutely, and I mean absolutely no interest in this CAP dump. Anaheim maybe, so they break the CAP floor. Even this is unlikely. In addition, there are many who believe he isn't going anywhere. The only other option is a buyout, which makes a lot more sense to do next year. I think the Goodrow scenario you propose is the worst-case scenario. I'm not even sure it works when you put pencil to paper. Perhaps we will be more simpatico on the next one!

P.S.

We are 10 days into free agency and both Laffy and K'Andre have not re-upped. The public sentiment expressed by both players and Ranger management (the Lovefest) is genuine, but it is also for public consumption as well. If this weren't the case, both would be in the fold by now.

Business is business. The players would be foolish not to entertain counteroffers, and Ranger management would be foolish not to gauge the interest in these players, just in case. As a hypothetical, if Laffy were offered $5M for a bridge deal, or a bit more for a long-term deal, do you really think he wouldn't love the team making the offer a bit more than the Rangers. Ditto for K'Andre, just different numbers.

My concern, and what is the whole point of the exercise is: what if the Rangers find themselves back into a corner with no options and they have to choose between Laffy and K'Andre for real. Stated another way, you are in a dark alley and three guys are getting ready to rearrange your cranial region, who do you hit first? For me it would be the biggest guy.
Jul. 10, 2023 at 7:26 p.m.
Quoting: gdli
I considered MTL and several other teams. I certainly would be amenable to your proposal. Appreciate the feedback!

As a Ranger fan I’m not ready to give up on him yet BUT if I were trading him…I’m sure MTL would give up the best package. I’m taking nothing short of Dach, MTL’s 2024 1st rounder (unprotected) and a Center prospect like Oliver Kapanen. If MTL declines then I’m sure another Canadian team would do a similar 3 piece trade.
Jul. 10, 2023 at 8:05 p.m.
Quoting: Somerset
As a Ranger fan I’m not ready to give up on him yet BUT if I were trading him…I’m sure MTL would give up the best package. I’m taking nothing short of Dach, MTL’s 2024 1st rounder (unprotected) and a Center prospect like Oliver Kapanen. If MTL declines then I’m sure another Canadian team would do a similar 3 piece trade.

First, Thanks for the feedback. I was conservative with the second rounder. The consensus I've received here and in several other threads suggests a first rounder is more likely, particular if multiple teams are suitors. Now Dach for Laffy straight up would require some additional comp to the Rangers since Laffy has more upside potential. Add the 1st rounder, and I think that's got the makings of a deal. If the Habs want to give us another player, I won't object.
Somerset liked this.
Jul. 10, 2023 at 11:23 p.m.
First, Thanks for the feedback. I was conservative with the second rounder. The consensus I've received here and in several other threads suggests a first rounder is more likely, particular if multiple teams are suitors. Now Dach for Laffy straight up would require some additional comp to the Rangers since Laffy has more upside potential. Add the 1st rounder, and I think that's got the makings of a deal. If the Habs want to give us another player, I won't object.

Maybe the 3rd piece I proposed might be a bit much but honestly I think LaF could fetch Dach & a 1st pretty easily especially from Montreal. I think the possible bidding war between a few teams could fetch that 3rd piece.
gdli liked this.
Jul. 11, 2023 at 9:48 a.m.
Quoting: Somerset
Maybe the 3rd piece I proposed might be a bit much but honestly I think LaF could fetch Dach & a 1st pretty easily especially from Montreal. I think the possible bidding war between a few teams could fetch that 3rd piece.

I tend to be conservative. You may be right in the end. A bidding war would certainly help to achieve a 3rd piece!!
Jul. 12, 2023 at 12:15 a.m.
You seem to be the lone wolf so far. The point of the exercise is:

If the Rangers got backed into a corner with competing offer sheets for both K'Andre and Laffy, and they chose to retain K'Andre, would Chris be laughing then?

Apparently, you missed the point.

How did that Miller offer sheet go?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll