SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Atlantic Division Playoff Predictions

Jul. 23, 2023 at 6:24 a.m.
Banned
You might think it's a little early to be making playoff predictions, but I honestly think the dust has settled to the point that we can make relatively accurate projections of how each division will shake out. I don't think any of the remaining UFA's are talented enough to be high-leverage needle movers for a team to the point that they for example, catapult a wildcard chaser all the way to the top of their division, and as for rumored trades, I don't see a Karlsson, Hellebuyck, Nylander, Lindholm, Scheifele, Hanifin, or even a Backlund trade doing anymore than moving an acquiring team further up than one spot in their divisional standings, or on the inverse, lowering a selling team more than one spot in their divisional standings relative to where we might have projected them to be before. With all that out of the way, let's get on with it.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs: I know everybody wants to bag on the Ryan Reaves signing, but from a cap perspective, it's relatively inconsequential. Getting to the actual meat on the bone, I am a really big fan of the Bertuzzi and Domi acquisitions, I think the Leaf's top six will do very well next season, and even if a William Nylander gets traded, for cap reasons, the Leafs will most likely acquire at least one impact forward in a return package, and even if that player is inferior to Nylander, I don't see Toronto's offense really being impacted all that much, they still have plenty of other offensive weapons. I'm fairly lukewarm on the Klingberg signing, at least it gives Toronto another guy on the back end outside of Reilly who can get the puck to the forwards effectively, and honestly, I think we'd all be talking about Toronto's defense struggling to connect play to the forwards if Klingberg isn't there, even though adding defensive IQ was the team's more pressing need, I don't see Klingberg becoming a redundancy on the back end for them. The only reason people are apprehensive about Klingberg at all is because he's coming off a down season, not so much his actual fit on the Leafs roster. On a goaltending note, I'm content to give a vote of confidence to Samsonov being an above average netminder for a second straight year. All in all, this should be a very good regular season team, beyond that however, oh you know...we'll see.

2. Florida Panthers: Make no mistake, this roster does not have the most balanced lineup, but it's hard to deny the superstar and high end talent that does make this team top heavy as it is, and with Tkachuk leading the charge, this team plays with a sense of bite that not every NHL team can say about themselves. I'm not sure how long Ekblad and Montour will be out, but I don't think the Panthers depth on defense is too shabby with the off-season acquisitions that Zito made, I think they can at least tread water for a short time. Obviously I don't expect Bobrovsky to be elite, but I can see him being average to above average if is able to find that mental "pocket" that served him so well on a miracle playoff run.

3. Tampa Bay Lightning: There is still a pretty good team here with the core they've got, but man have they had to shed a lot of talented support pieces due to the salary cap over the past 2-3 seasons. That's obviously just the nature of being a cup contender for multiple seasons, but now that I look at how limited their depth is at the bottom of the lineup, I honestly start to wonder if this team's contention window has officially closed. By process of elimination, Brandon Hagel might become the next cap casualty on the roster, but at least he's a pending RFA with arb rights as oppose to an upcoming UFA. At this point, a deep playoff run, let alone another championship might have to come on the shoulders of Vasilevskiy finding a new level of beast-mode, which I don't need to tell anyone how realistic or unrealistic that is.

4. Boston Bruins: This team is still too talented to bottom out, but obviously not good enough to compete for a cup, and I don't think whether Bergeron and/or Krejci come back or not is going to make any difference.

5. Ottawa Senators: With some more foundational pieces in place, I think playoff contention is right around the corner for the Senators, but I'm not quite sure it's their time just yet. Would enjoy being proven wrong however. Outside of the 4th line, I don't see any obvious weaknesses with the roster, all the really have to prove is that they can gel with that consistent sense of cohesion for a majority of the season just as perennial playoff contenders effortlessly show capability of doing. We forget that Ottawa had a pretty abysmal November last season before picking things up afterwards. Deja Vu on that would definitely put the team's playoff aspirations in doubt to all of us.

6: Buffalo Sabres: They can score almost at will, but this team still needs to learn how to defend. If the Sabres make a trade for a Chris Tanev or a Brett Pesce(whom I, like a lot of Sabres fans, don't feel really fits their timeline) to help with that, then I can see that moving the needle for them, just not sure it will be enough to get into the playoffs.

7: Detroit Red Wings: Outside of Debrincat, I see a lot of money just being thrown at this roster, but I'm not sure I see the supposed middle-tier additions like Justin Holl and J.T. Compher being enough to justify the cap space committed to them. I don't see a super high ceiling with this team either, and I'm not as optimistic that this roster will manage to boast the same level of cohesiveness as a team like the Buffalo Sabres does despite their own constructional issues.

8: Montreal Canadiens: What can I say, this team is still quite a ways away relative to pretty much everybody else in the division, but I think the Habs can afford to be patient a little longer before getting more ambitious.

Overall, the Atlantic division has a pretty high floor I'd say, as I think all three of Detroit, Buffalo, and Ottawa can make a real push for a wildcard spot, just not sure any of them can overcome Boston in that race unless Boston completely drops off cause they're still deflated from last post-season's upset, yeah, I know I put that tongue-in-cheek, but stranger things have happened in the NHL.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 4:18 p.m.
WentWughes
1. Tampa Bay
2. Toronto
3. Florida
4. Ottawa.
5. Buffalo
6. Boston
7.Detroit
8.Montreal
Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:44 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
1. Tampa Bay
2. Toronto
3. Florida
4. Ottawa.
5. Buffalo
6. Boston
7.Detroit
8.Montreal

Tampa Bay still has a good roster, but I don't see them finishing ahead of Toronto. Also, you're seriously putting Boston behind Ottawa and Buffalo?
Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:09 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Tampa Bay still has a good roster, but I don't see them finishing ahead of Toronto. Also, you're seriously putting Boston behind Ottawa and Buffalo?

Their roster on paper last year wasn't even suppose to make the playoffs. Now they lost Bergeron + Krejci and have replaced them with Geekie. They shouldn't even compete.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:26 p.m.
and proud of it
1. Toronto
2. Tampa Bay
3. Boston
4. Buffalo
5. Florida
6. Detroit
7. Ottawa
8. Montreal
Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:27 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: HockeyManiac95
1. Toronto
2. Tampa Bay
3. Boston
4. Buffalo
5. Florida
6. Detroit
7. Ottawa
8. Montreal

Buffalo ahead of Florida? Damn, I think most would label that a hot take
Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:28 p.m.
and proud of it
Buffalo ahead of Florida? Damn, I think most would label that a hot take

Buffalo is clearly a team on the rise. Florida's playoff run was honestly just lucky, and ur gonna have to convince me otherwise
Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:29 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Their roster on paper last year wasn't even suppose to make the playoffs. Now they lost Bergeron + Krejci and have replaced them with Geekie. They shouldn't even compete.

I think that was before support players like Zacha, Debrusk, Hall, Connor Clifton, Trent Frederic, and even AJ Greer for that matter caught lightning in a bottle, probably all rallying under the last dance mentality and the endearing leadership of Bergeron and Krejci, I suppose all of that is gone, but the goaltending and defense on paper still looks to be pretty strong.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:30 p.m.
and proud of it
Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they finish in 3rd by a hair
Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:31 p.m.
Banned
Buffalo is clearly a team on the rise. Florida's playoff run was honestly just lucky, and ur gonna have to convince me otherwise

Buffalo still needs to learn how to defend, we just overlook that because they can score almost at will and because that organization hasn't had much to cheer about for the longest time, but the Panthers play with this bite that I don't think most teams have, a big part of that is Matthew Tkachuk being over there to lead the charge. While the Panthers have roster construction issues of their own, I don't think they're quite as shallow as we think they are.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:38 p.m.
and proud of it
Buffalo still needs to learn how to defend, we just overlook that because they can score almost at will and because that organization hasn't had much to cheer about for the longest time, but the Panthers play with this bite that I don't think most teams have, a big part of that is Matthew Tkachuk being over there to lead the charge. While the Panthers have roster construction issues of their own, I don't think they're quite as shallow as we think they are.

I do like Buffalo's defensive signings over the last couple months and think they're at the point where their defense will be solid enough to let the offense outscore that problem.

Good point on Tkachuk, but losing Gudas is gonna take a bit out of that bite too I think
Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:58 p.m.
Banned
I do like Buffalo's defensive signings over the last couple months and think they're at the point where their defense will be solid enough to let the offense outscore that problem.

Good point on Tkachuk, but losing Gudas is gonna take a bit out of that bite too I think

Yeah, I think Florida was wise to move on from Gudas considering what Verbeek threw at him. As for the Sabres, come on man, Connor Clifton and Erik Johnson are nothing more than 3rd pair defenders
Jul. 23, 2023 at 10:00 p.m.
and proud of it
Yeah, I think Florida was wise to move on from Gudas considering what Verbeek threw at him. As for the Sabres, come on man, Connor Clifton and Erik Johnson are nothing more than 3rd pair defenders

It's enough tho. Johnson did fine in COL despite not scoring, and Clifton ain't bad either. Sometimes that's all u need: 3rd pairing D that just shut people down
Jul. 23, 2023 at 10:02 p.m.
Banned
It's enough tho. Johnson did fine in COL despite not scoring, and Clifton ain't bad either. Sometimes that's all u need: 3rd pairing D that just shut people down

Oh no, Buffalo needs more than just depth defenders
Jul. 23, 2023 at 11:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

I feel it will be between Tampa and Toronto battling for first but man Vasi looked tired in that first round if they dont get him help I feel the dam might break
Knuckl3s liked this.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 11:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Buffalo to me needs a goalie. I know people say Levi this and that but what if he struggles. Honestly Connor Hellybuyck would put them in third potentially second place in my eyes
HockeyManiac95 liked this.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 1:01 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle
Buffalo to me needs a goalie. I know people say Levi this and that but what if he struggles. Honestly Connor Hellybuyck would put them in third potentially second place in my eyes

No, Hellebuyck is actually a below average goaltender when it comes to stopping cross seam oriented scoring chances, which Buffalo still gives up way too much of. Hellebuyck's success is mostly attributed to being elite at shutting down straight line scoring chances. Hellebuyck to Buffalo could actually end up completely backfiring if not enough attention is given to a defensive strategy to play to Bucky's strengths, and I'm not even sure Buffalo has the personnel on the back end to formulate any such thing.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 1:03 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
No, Hellebuyck is actually a below average goaltender when it comes to stopping cross seam oriented scoring chances, which Buffalo still gives up way too much of. Hellebuyck's success is mostly attributed to being elite at shutting down straight line scoring chances. Hellebuyck to Buffalo could actually end up completely backfiring if not enough attention is given to a defensive strategy to play to Bucky's strengths, and I'm not even sure Buffalo has the personnel on the back end to formulate any such thing.

FxyUYXgXoAEE05x.jpg:large

All goalies have weaknesses. Vasi is one of the best goalies but struggles with point shots

The response u play into your goalie's strengths and help with the weakness

Thats how TBL won b2b cups

Buffalo gets him he forces them to adapt their playstyle and improve upon their defense to prevent his weaknesses from surfacing to often.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 1:55 a.m.
Kansler
Think Buffalo does need an goalie, though giving Hellebuyck something like 7x 8M is a horrible idea.
As for defense goes, adding someone like Pesce to play second pair with Power would give them a pretty solid 3 pairs.
Dahlin -Samuelsson
Power-Pesce
Johnsson-Clifton
Lyubushkin

Then get rid off Jokiharju and Bryson and you still have enough cap to deal with the goaltender issue.
Knuckl3s liked this.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:33 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: HelmutCool
Think Buffalo does need an goalie, though giving Hellebuyck something like 7x 8M is a horrible idea.
As for defense goes, adding someone like Pesce to play second pair with Power would give them a pretty solid 3 pairs.
Dahlin -Samuelsson
Power-Pesce
Johnsson-Clifton
Lyubushkin

Then get rid off Jokiharju and Bryson and you still have enough cap to deal with the goaltender issue.

Yeah, Power could definitely use a stronger partner to play with if Samuelsson(whom I think is an average top 4 D at best) caddies Dahlin. You think Jokiharju, Bryson, and Lyubushkin for that matter are on the outs already eh?
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:31 a.m.
Kansler
Yeah, Power could definitely use a stronger partner to play with if Samuelsson(whom I think is an average top 4 D at best) caddies Dahlin. You think Jokiharju, Bryson, and Lyubushkin for that matter are on the outs already eh?

I think Lyubushkin is a decent 7th defender, as he provides physicality and veteran present, although being already slow.
Got nothing special against Jokiharju and Bryson, just dont see a place for them in the lineup. Jokiharju has imo declined in the recent years and Bryson is just meh. Especially when atleast Jokiharjus 2,5M would be better used elsewhere.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 6:34 a.m.
NoQuitInNewYork
1. Toronto
2. Florida
3. Boston
4. Tampa Bay
5. Buffalo
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Montreal
Jul. 24, 2023 at 4:13 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Scooter81
1. Toronto
2. Florida
3. Boston
4. Tampa Bay
5. Buffalo
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Montreal

Boston ahead of Tampa Bay eh?
Jul. 24, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: HelmutCool
I think Lyubushkin is a decent 7th defender, as he provides physicality and veteran present, although being already slow.
Got nothing special against Jokiharju and Bryson, just dont see a place for them in the lineup. Jokiharju has imo declined in the recent years and Bryson is just meh. Especially when atleast Jokiharjus 2,5M would be better used elsewhere.

Hmm, I always thought Lyubushkin was good enough to be an everyday defender. Yeah, don't see anything special in Bryson, not sure why he's making well above league-min, and not sure why Jokiharju hasn't really developed either
Jul. 24, 2023 at 4:34 p.m.
NoQuitInNewYork
Boston ahead of Tampa Bay eh?

Yeah, won’t be by a lot though. I’ve got Tampa with 97 PTS and Boston with 100. Should be a nailbiter.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll