STOP MAKING BAD MOVES FANS

Created by: Carleton
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 23, 2023
Published: Jul. 23, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Gonna break it down a little bit here

EK65: We don't need him. His price tag is way too high and his term is terrible. The last thing we need is another defender who's abysmal in our own end. Signing Klingberg solves the issue of getting the puck up the ice, and he can rotate between PP1-PP2 with Rielly. Both Mo and Klingberg are puck movers but suck in their own end, we have enough of guys like this.

BRODIE: Stop trading him for scraps (or stop trading him at all) His defensive analytics were some of the best among RD last season. He is a beast in his own and and is a great partner to guys like Mo and Klingberg. Brodie was good against Tampa, but faltered against Florida, like the rest of the team did. Calling him a "bad playoff performer" would just be a lie.

NYLANDER: Stop trying to trade him to Calgary or San Jose or Nashville or Carolina, etc. He is a back to back 80 point player, losing him would crush our offensive production. I can guarantee teams are interested, but the only one who should be making a move is Brad. If Nylander prices himself out, then so be it. We use the money we would have used to sign him, to sign 1-2 top 6 players (or trade for them) to try and replace some of his production. Or, you know, give our prospects a go in the top 6?

It's way more ideal to keep him for a playoff run than to trade him for Pesce or Hanifin. Stop.

MURRAY: He has no long term injury. Either trade him or buy him out. It will come down to this.

JARNKROK: Is a solid 3rd line piece, but he can be replaced. If we HAVE to move him, I'm not opposed to it. But good luck finding a team that has 2.1m in cap space that is interested in him.
Trades
TOR
    **ANY TEAM, LATE PICK ?
    ARI
    1. Järnkrok, Calle
    Additional Details:
    Hypothetical move to see how the cap works
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$83,500,000$83,381,450$0$0$118,550
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $2,400,000$2,400,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    RW, C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $1,350,000$1,350,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,550,000$3,550,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,150,000$4,150,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $766,667$766,667
    G
    RFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:51 p.m.
    Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
    Wrong, wait and see.

Yeah, I'd love to see what "long term injury" the guy has. It must be true because Friedman said it! Ridiculous lmao
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:53 p.m.
    Good post, agree with pretty much everything you wrote. It will be interesting to see how leafs handle Murray - have to think Tre & team had (& have) a plan. This is the most balanced Leaf team of The Marner / Matthews era, go Leafs go!
    Carleton liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:54 p.m.
    Ok Homer.

I'M the homer? I'm the one who wants him gone but won't treat the dude like a used rag tears of joy

Get off Twitter
    Avsfantrumpetman liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:54 p.m.
    Quoting: MitchJr
    Good post, agree with pretty much everything you wrote. It will be interesting to see how leafs handle Murray - have to think Tre & team had (& have) a plan. This is the most balanced Leaf team of The Marner / Matthews era, go Leafs go!

Agree, I'm really liking the Klingberg add
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:58 p.m.
    Wrong, wait and see.

Oh snap left him with the sick burn here.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:07 p.m.
    Good nerd
    Wrong the Nhl wants to protect players from head injuries, christ they still have lawsuits from former players dealing from head injuries, the Nhl will not say "boo" concerning any players with concussions symptoms (or do you miss the fact that any player gets hit hard they automaticly go into a quiet room).

Every statement in here is true. Here are where you make leaps in logic to that meaning Murray can be on LTIR for the season:
    * Murray may or may not have concussion symptoms right now
    * The NHL sits out players until they are ready to come back, which you are claiming for Murray is prescribed to be exactly 1 NHL offseason+season or the rest of his career
    * If Murray did have symptoms and get put on LTIR, you are assuming he just wants to hang it up and call it a career. If he is healthy, I'm sure he wants to play and fight for a min contract as a backup at age 29. And I'm sure the NHLPA would fight tooth and nail for him to be able to do that, because the Leafs cap problems shouldn't be the determining factor in whether or not he retires at his age.

It is possible that all of those things go in your favor. But I'd bet against all of those things falling into place. If the Leafs don't buy the dude out in the next couple of days, that option goes away, and then they are left with:
    * Trade him in the offseason (may still happen, but this sounds expensive in terms of draft capital)
    * Pray to all known dieties that he does not recover, at which point you'd need to re-activate him on the NHL roster and then trade him (play a game with a reduced roster, put a few roster players on waivers, and then pay for that suddenly even more expensive trade in-season)
    Carleton liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:13 p.m.
    Quoting: tupty
    Every statement in here is true. Here are where you make leaps in logic to that meaning Murray can be on LTIR for the season:
    * Murray may or may not have concussion symptoms right now
    * The NHL sits out players until they are ready to come back, which you are claiming for Murray is prescribed to be exactly 1 NHL offseason+season or the rest of his career
    * If Murray did have symptoms and get put on LTIR, you are assuming he just wants to hang it up and call it a career. If he is healthy, I'm sure he wants to play and fight for a min contract as a backup at age 29. And I'm sure the NHLPA would fight tooth and nail for him to be able to do that, because the Leafs cap problems shouldn't be the determining factor in whether or not he retires at his age.

It is possible that all of those things go in your favor. But I'd bet against all of those things falling into place. If the Leafs don't buy the dude out in the next couple of days, that option goes away, and then they are left with:
    * Trade him in the offseason (may still happen, but this sounds expensive in terms of draft capital)
    * Pray to all known dieties that he does not recover, at which point you'd need to re-activate him on the NHL roster and then trade him (play a game with a reduced roster, put a few roster players on waivers, and then pay for that suddenly even more expensive trade in-season)

As I made another post thread, if by god Murray is healthy, no buyout or trade, you bury the contract and play the rotating LTIR game (which the Leafs did successfully during the Dubas era) with the questionable health of Bertuzzi.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:15 p.m.
    As I made another post thread, if by god Murray is healthy, no buyout or trade, you bury the contract and play the rotating LTIR game (which the Leafs did successfully during the Dubas era) with the questionable health or Bertuzzi.

Hahaha, now we've resorted to burying him. Our fanbase is so lost sometimes.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:16 p.m.
    Good nerd
    By the way, unless I am mistaken what Friedman said (paraphrasing) was not "they can put Murray on LTIR for the year", but rather "the may not be able to buy him out because of injury". Again, Leafs fan better be hoping he is currently healthy enough to be bought out, because the alternatives seem much worse.
    Avsfantrumpetman liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:20 p.m.
    I'm surrounded by children.

Wow.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:20 p.m.
    Good nerd
    As I made another post thread, if by god Murray is healthy, no buyout or trade, you bury the contract and play the rotating LTIR game (which the Leafs did successfully during the Dubas era) with the questionable health of Bertuzzi.

If you bury him today, you are still 5.5m over the cap. You'd still be paying cap-dump prices, but for more valuable players. Why not just buy Murray out at that point? Unless you are worried about the 2m cap penalty next year, which is a fair concern.
    Carleton and Avsfantrumpetman liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:24 p.m.
    If you bury him today, you are still 5.5m over the cap. You'd still be paying cap-dump prices, but for more valuable players. Why not just buy Murray out at that point? Unless you are worried about the 2m cap penalty next year, which is a fair concern.

That cap penalty is a concern, but not as big of a concern as how to get under the cap with Murray on the roster (or coming off of an LTIR stint). Then you are pretty much having to give away good players.
    tupty liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:28 p.m.
    Quoting: dougford
    Hahaha, now we've resorted to burying him. Our fanbase is so lost sometimes.

Says who>? A big IF he is healthy.

Murray let me introduce you to a fellow team mate, his name is Jake Muzzin, he made the mistake of trying to come off the LTIR and continue his career.

But NO.... it's too hard for you to understand that it can and will happen.

Muzzin 2+ years on LTIR, were you arguing for him to not go to LTIR.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:34 p.m.
    Edited Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:42 p.m.
    By the way, unless I am mistaken what Friedman said (paraphrasing) was not "they can put Murray on LTIR for the year", but rather "the may not be able to buy him out because of injury". Again, Leafs fan better be hoping he is currently healthy enough to be bought out, because the alternatives seem much worse.

Wrong Friedman quoted saying a deal may be in place for Murray to stay on LTIR for the year.

Think Kucherov: having surgery at the beginning of the season rather than during the summer and it which conviently wipes out his regular season but healthy and ready for the playoffs.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:44 p.m.
    Wrong Friedman quoted saying a deal may be in place for Murray to stay on LTIR for the year.

Think Kucherov: having surgery at the beginning of the season rather than during the summer and it which conviently wipes out his regular season but healthy and ready for the playoffs.

Brother you are LOST. Muzzin literally can't play. Hes tried, but he is physically unable to play. Or else he would be playing.
    Keep buying into things Friedman says, like the rest of Leafs media. Murray is not long term inured,

Kucherov is ready for the playoffs, Murray won't touch the ice. Not because of injuries, but because he's not that good.
    tupty liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:48 p.m.
    Edited Jul. 23, 2023 at 9:58 p.m.
    Quoting: dougford
    Brother you are LOST. Muzzin literally can't play. Hes tried, but he is physically unable to play. Or else he would be playing.
    Keep buying into things Friedman says, like the rest of Leafs media. Murray is not long term inured,

Kucherov is ready for the playoffs, Murray won't touch the ice. Not because of injuries, but because he's not that good.

If he knows he's not good enough to play, maybe because he is dealing with injuries.

Thank you for proving my point.

Murray agrees to play the LTIR game collects his $8 millions and the Nhl won't investigate because if Murray claims concussion problems, the Nhl stays clear of that topic.

The guy returns from injury, gets kneed in the head and gets carried off the ice. Do you think Murray wants to continue this way of life. Like I said Muzzin can 100% tell Murray when you're this injury prone, it's not worth holding onto your career, hang up the skates.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 10:27 p.m.
    Good nerd

This is the source: https://twitter.com/BladeOfSteelHky/status/1681458142784393216

I can understand your interpretation, but I think he is just speculating that they can just toss him on LTIR. I think he is not speculating about the concern that they cannot buy Murray out, but it sounds like his sources had not totally figured that out yet either.

This seems quite different from Kucherov, who actually needed surgery (his timeline still smells like BS, but I digress). A handshake agreement to not play for 8m for only this season is clear cap circumvention. Surgery would allow for LTIR for a full season, but we're talking about concussions here unless you think he needs ankle surgery. Retirement would allow for LTIR too. That is possible, but the Leafs can't coerce him into it, and most professional athletes that play at the highest level don't opt for early retirement, for better or worse (prime example: Ondrej Kase still won't retire).

I understand that there are paths for him to be on LTIR for the full season, and I understand that would be ideal for the Leafs' cap situation -- but can we at least agree that whether or not any of those come true, those are just hopeful speculation at this point?
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 10:59 p.m.
    This is the source: https://twitter.com/BladeOfSteelHky/status/1681458142784393216

I can understand your interpretation, but I think he is just speculating that they can just toss him on LTIR. I think he is not speculating about the concern that they cannot buy Murray out, but it sounds like his sources had not totally figured that out yet either.

This seems quite different from Kucherov, who actually needed surgery (his timeline still smells like BS, but I digress). A handshake agreement to not play for 8m for only this season is clear cap circumvention. Surgery would allow for LTIR for a full season, but we're talking about concussions here unless you think he needs ankle surgery. Retirement would allow for LTIR too. That is possible, but the Leafs can't coerce him into it, and most professional athletes that play at the highest level don't opt for early retirement, for better or worse (prime example: Ondrej Kase still won't retire).

I understand that there are paths for him to be on LTIR for the full season, and I understand that would be ideal for the Leafs' cap situation -- but can we at least agree that whether or not any of those come true, those are just hopeful speculation at this point?

The good and bad of concussions and head trauma and mental illness... it's impossible to disprove your level of Nhl fitness worthiness and the Nhl would not want the bad press for investigating any of those claims.

Murray can easily take a year off. If handed the option, LTIR for head or mental illness claim but get $8 million or say your fit to play and we give you $5.3 million to walk away and hope to find another job.

Murray takes the $8 million offer to go to Robidas Island.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 11:10 p.m.
    The good and bad of concussions and head trauma and mental illness... it's impossible to disprove your level of Nhl fitness worthiness and the Nhl would not want the bad press for investigating any of those claims.

Murray can easily take a year off. If handed the option, LTIR for head or mental illness claim but get $8 million or say your fit to play and we give you $5.3 million to walk away and hope to find another job.

Murray takes the $8 million offer to go to Robidas Island.

The fact that you are saying any of this literally makes me sick. Sad, sad stuff, man.
    Carleton liked this.
    Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:36 p.m.
    Quoting: Avsfantrumpetman
    The fact that you are saying any of this literally makes me sick. Sad, sad stuff, man.

The fact that you don't think Trelving and the rest of the team management have not already sat down and spoke to Murray is sad sad stuff man.

IF Murray was 100% healthy, Trevling would have dealt with the situation by now. Only 2 reasons can be thought of why it's still dragging on, either Murray has used his NTC to stop him from being traded or he has health concerns, I'm sick of repeating myself to you children, and you can not buy out an injured player.
    Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:38 p.m.
    The fact that you don't think Trelving and the rest of the team management have not already sat down and spoke to Murray is sad sad stuff man.

IF Murray was 100% healthy, Trevling would have dealt with the situation by now. Only 2 reasons can be thought of why it's still dragging on, either Murray has used his NTC to stop him from being traded or he has health concerns, I'm sick of repeating myself to you children, and you can not buy out an injured player.

You said some really messed up stuff about manipulating mental health and head injuries. Not sure how that makes the rest of us the children in this situation.
    Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
    You said some really messed up stuff about manipulating mental health and head injuries. Not sure how that makes the rest of us the children in this situation.

Never worked a Union job I see.
    Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:42 p.m.
    Never worked a Union job I see.

THAT'S your response?!?!
    Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:45 p.m.
    THAT'S your response?!?!

Your lack of understanding the real world is sad stuff.
    Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:53 p.m.
    Your lack of understanding the real world is sad stuff.

Nope, I live in a world where I don't fake/manipulate my way to anything. Quite thankful to be there after this interaction.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll