Forums/Armchair-GM

next year

Created by: ArakinSkywalker
Team: 2024-25 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 1, 2023
Published: Aug. 2, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Toews deal is based off Weegars deal signed last year, which considering toews age i think will be probily pretty close maybe 500k more. Kovalenko comes in and is a stud, so we run him line 2 next year. Pits out of playoffs so we get acciari at half price for a year and a half to add to that right hand depth. Leaves us 3.5 to grab a depth D at the deadline and and one more depth forward if meyers isn't up to par.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$850,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,000,000
1$875,000
Trades
COL
  1. Acciari, Noel ($1,000,000 retained)
PIT
  1. 2025 5th round pick (COL)
  2. 2026 2nd round pick (COL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,500,000$83,913,750$0$137,500$3,586,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$12,600,000$12,600,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$896,250$896,250 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LW, C
UFA
$847,500$847,500
C
RFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,850,000$3,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
G
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
RFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$875,000$875,000
LD
UFA
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C, LW, RW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
I really worry with the cap increasing and the current market that Toews gets pushed above 8. He then becomes much more difficult to bring back. I also think that if Meyers only contributes enough to earn another below 1 mill deal that we just move on and look elsewhere for that role. All that being said, I think 24-25 is shaping up to be the next big year for our team. Give the new guys a year to get acclimated and we might have a good thing on our hands again.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:26 p.m.
Quoting: Avsfantrumpetman
I really worry with the cap increasing and the current market that Toews gets pushed above 8. He then becomes much more difficult to bring back. I also think that if Meyers only contributes enough to earn another below 1 mill deal that we just move on and look elsewhere for that role. All that being said, I think 24-25 is shaping up to be the next big year for our team. Give the new guys a year to get acclimated and we might have a good thing on our hands again.

I think Vince Dunn's deal pushes Toews to $8M or more, despite the age difference, unfortunately. Other than that, I agree about the potential for 24-25. I'm excited to see the new additions and I've been more optimistic about the prospects and AHL pool than I've been in a while. I hope a few guys show this year that they can play.
Avsfantrumpetman liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
RETIRED
Seeing as Toews is about to hit 30, this next contract will be his last big one. Mark my words, he’ll comfortably net 60 pts alongside Makar and break the bank in FA
Aug. 2, 2023 at 3:31 p.m.
Dr.
Quoting: Avsfantrumpetman

Quoting: M96N29
I think Vince Dunn's deal pushes Toews to $8M or more, despite the age difference, unfortunately. Other than that, I agree about the potential for 24-25. I'm excited to see the new additions and I've been more optimistic about the prospects and AHL pool than I've been in a while. I hope a few guys show this year that they can play.

Quoting: McRanteskog
Seeing as Toews is about to hit 30, this next contract will be his last big one. Mark my words, he’ll comfortably net 60 pts alongside Makar and break the bank in FA

If he tests the waters in free agency then for sure he will get 8 but it's that 8th year that will be able to help us bring the AAV down. an 8x7.5 nets him more than 8.5x7 in free agency and i don't see too many teams going higher than that. I think we just have to hope that he wants to stay in colorado and extend the window for as long as possible. it's not like 7.5 is shortchanging him by any means.
Avsfantrumpetman and M96N29 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
Quoting: ArakinSkywalker
If he tests the waters in free agency then for sure he will get 8 but it's that 8th year that will be able to help us bring the AAV down. an 8x7.5 nets him more than 8.5x7 in free agency and i don't see too many teams going higher than that. I think we just have to hope that he wants to stay in colorado and extend the window for as long as possible. it's not like 7.5 is shortchanging him by any means.

That's fair. Just depends on what his goals are honestly.
ArakinSkywalker liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
RETIRED

This is a prime example of getting so caught up in the details, that the bigger picture gets missed.

1) you consider it a prize of some sort having to pay Toews 7.5mil at age 38 in that extra 8th year of the deal?

2) you think him earning that additional 500k (about 1% on a 60 mil contract) by staying in COL matters when he could literally just sign as a FA in a state without income tax and earn that additional 4% he’d be losing to taxes in COL
Aug. 2, 2023 at 4:33 p.m.
Dr.
This is a prime example of getting so caught up in the details, that the bigger picture gets missed.

1) you consider it a prize of some sort having to pay Toews 7.5mil at age 38 in that extra 8th year of the deal?

2) you think him earning that additional 500k (about 1% on a 60 mil contract) by staying in COL matters when he could literally just sign as a FA in a state without income tax and earn that additional 4% he’d be losing to taxes in COL

I don't think the bigger picture is missed at all. i'd think the big picture is winning cups while we have the team to do so. No one is good forever so i think realisticly we have a good 5 years with the offense to win another cup. in the 6th year from now the forwards are over 33 and that pretty much means they will be starting to regress if they haven't already, so i'm not too worried about the 8th year on his contract.
As for your 2nd point, there are only 7 teams using the income tax calculator on this site where he would stand to make more money than colorado and they'd all have to give him the higher cap hit of 8.5 still to offset the extra year. Most of them are in the same position as we are where it's hard to bring in 8.5 mil and not gut depth somewhere else.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
Check long term outlook and that’s the problem with signing Toews and not moving Manson or Girard a year from this you have $16M in cap space have to sign Mikko, re-sign Byram, and find a 2C. The more I think about it the less likely it seems to me Toews re-signs here unless he takes a big discount.
McRanteskog liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 5:08 p.m.
Dr.
Quoting: Xqb15a
Check long term outlook and that’s the problem with signing Toews and not moving Manson or Girard a year from this you have $16M in cap space have to sign Mikko, re-sign Byram, and find a 2C. The more I think about it the less likely it seems to me Toews re-signs here unless he takes a big discount.

I'd think the reason they added that modified trade claus in mansons contract is to be able to move him next year. Or if behrens or malinski takes a big step it could make girard expanedbale but i don't think that'll happen next year to be able to mvoe him right away.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 6:07 p.m.
RETIRED
I don't think the bigger picture is missed at all. i'd think the big picture is winning cups while we have the team to do so. No one is good forever so i think realisticly we have a good 5 years with the offense to win another cup. in the 6th year from now the forwards are over 33 and that pretty much means they will be starting to regress if they haven't already, so i'm not too worried about the 8th year on his contract.
As for your 2nd point, there are only 7 teams using the income tax calculator on this site where he would stand to make more money than colorado and they'd all have to give him the higher cap hit of 8.5 still to offset the extra year. Most of them are in the same position as we are where it's hard to bring in 8.5 mil and not gut depth somewhere else.

Toews doesn’t make or break COLs cup winning chances in the next 2-3 years. Especially if signing him means less money to go around on signing quality depth players. A core of Byram-Makar Girard-Manson is good enough. Then you’ve got 7.5mil to add a high end top 6F piece or a quality middle 6F and a good third pairing D man. I want no part in paying Toews 7.5mil at age 34+ (for 4 more years).

7 teams is nearly 1/3 of the league. Any motivated team could easily make the cap space if they wanted.
Xqb15a liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 7:09 p.m.
Dr.
Toews doesn’t make or break COLs cup winning chances in the next 2-3 years. Especially if signing him means less money to go around on signing quality depth players. A core of Byram-Makar Girard-Manson is good enough. Then you’ve got 7.5mil to add a high end top 6F piece or a quality middle 6F and a good third pairing D man. I want no part in paying Toews 7.5mil at age 34+ (for 4 more years).

7 teams is nearly 1/3 of the league. Any motivated team could easily make the cap space if they wanted.

A top 2 dman sure gives you a better chance at winning the cup than not having him, any way you look at it toews makes us better. at what point in the lineup above do we not have good depth? even if line 4 doesn't hit we still have over 3 mil to add our usual center depth add at the deadline.
If you are relying on manson to be a long term core i think you're going to be setting yourself up for failure. I don't think he's as good as he played when we won the cup or as bad as he played last playoffs which means your core has a 33 year old average dman only getting slower in it. If byram has any health issues there goes the depth.

7 teams isn't even 1/4 of the league, and if toews is good enough for these other teams to mortgage even more money for him and gut their teams depth why would we just let him walk? Top 2 dmen don't just grow on trees.

I think the biggest take away from what you said is going into playoffs with the attitude of good enough, that's how you get bounced like we did this year cause we thought we were good enough. If you're not the best team you can be you're not going to win the cup.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 7:17 p.m.
RETIRED
A top 2 dman sure gives you a better chance at winning the cup than not having him, any way you look at it toews makes us better. at what point in the lineup above do we not have good depth? even if line 4 doesn't hit we still have over 3 mil to add our usual center depth add at the deadline.
If you are relying on manson to be a long term core i think you're going to be setting yourself up for failure. I don't think he's as good as he played when we won the cup or as bad as he played last playoffs which means your core has a 33 year old average dman only getting slower in it. If byram has any health issues there goes the depth.

7 teams isn't even 1/4 of the league, and if toews is good enough for these other teams to mortgage even more money for him and gut their teams depth why would we just let him walk? Top 2 dmen don't just grow on trees.

I think the biggest take away from what you said is going into playoffs with the attitude of good enough, that's how you get bounced like we did this year cause we thought we were good enough. If you're not the best team you can be you're not going to win the cup.

It’s like talking to a wall sometimes around here
Aug. 2, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
Dr.
It’s like talking to a wall sometimes around here

Because i've come up with a legit counter to every point you've brought up?
Aug. 2, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
RETIRED
Because i've come up with a legit counter to every point you've brought up?

Because you think RyJo and Kovalenko as full time second line players is good depth. Even Acciari at 3rd line is mid.

Never stated Manson was a long term core piece. You put those words in my mouth.

Because you wanna get petty over correcting someone on whether 7 teams is 1/3 league or 1/4 league, get a grip.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 7:31 p.m.
Dr.
Because you think RyJo and Kovalenko as full time second line players is good depth. Even Acciari at 3rd line is mid.

Never stated Manson was a long term core piece. You put those words in my mouth.

Because you wanna get petty over correcting someone on whether 7 teams is 1/3 league or 1/4 league, get a grip.

I mean if its good enough depth for sakic and mcfarland to go into this season with i am on board as well, we will see how they play out but if they hit then why wouldn't it be good depth? it's a fantasy site dude no one knows what's going to happen.

I didn't put any words in your mouth, your exact words were "a core of makar byram girard manson is good enough"

Don't get mad because i corrected your mistake. Just accept i've given solid arguments to everything you've said and move on.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll