Forums/Armchair-GM

Metro Outlook Pens

Created by: edeangel84
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 10, 2023
Published: Aug. 10, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I’m by no means convinced we will finish 3rd but it’s the absolute best case scenario we could ask for. I’m not going to rehash what has been done this summer because there’s been a ton of talk already about the Pens. I’m not looking to debate the Jarry deal or who we should have signed because what’s done is done. Now I want to look at how we find a good 3rd pairing defenseman for either POJ or Smith to work with. I think we still don’t have a 3C but with Eller and Carter here to stay I don’t see a trade that’s possible.

UFAs left:

Sign Pens killer Josh Bailey! At least he can’t play against us! The other signing I’d like to see is Jesse PoolParty! Let’s give him one more shot in the NHL.

Trade targets: Upgrading the bottom pairing is a must. I’d like Bogosian, Bortuzzo, or my top target Seeler.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$775,000
1$775,000
Trades
PHI
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (PIT)
  2. 2026 5th round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$81,729,342$0$0$1,770,658
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW, C
UFA
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 10, 2023 at 12:06 p.m.
chaz michael michels
I believe Caps / Pens finish 3/4 ahead of the rangers this year. Bold but I can see it. behind canes / devils.
pensfan21 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 12:07 p.m.
Quoting: Chazz44
I believe Caps / Pens finish 3/4 ahead of the rangers this year. Bold but I can see it. behind canes / devils.

I agree with this actually. I think Caps had a good offseason and they were good last year before the Carlsson injury
Aug. 10, 2023 at 12:08 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
I think the hurricanes and devils are arguably the two best rosters in the entire league. So I agree there's not much chance in the Penguins surpassing them. I think the Rangers are better, but a much more surpassable team. Far less balanced than the other two.
As far as the bottom pairing defense, they're almost never going to play incompetitive games. Not unless there's a bunch of injuries which is the gamble the front office is taking. Ruhwedel is a much smarter player than Bortuzzo or especially Bogosian. He's been fine as a depth dman and PIT needs Joseph and Smith to get a chance to develop. Tatar is a much preferable depth forward target to Bailey.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 12:09 p.m.
Ideally Carter is not in lineup, but if he does play a 4th line with him Nieto and Accari wouldn't be awful. They're both fast and as much as we all want the Carter contract gone, he is able to score if in the right situations. So two fast players feeding it to him would not hurt us. Like the Bailey idea too, I think Pitlick or Poulin in top 6 though and move Rust to 3rd line to give it a little more scoring and speed. Will be an interesting training camp that's for sure. Hard to predict who will win the spots. For the bottom 6 to be good I think one of the many players competing will have to have a major breakout year, which is very possible.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.
Hard pass on Puli, we’ve seen enough, he’s a zilch. Philly & Pittsburgh don’t trade. I wouldn’t have a problem with a POJ-Smith third pairing, but mostly because I dislike Ruhwedel. I’d do a Ruh-Borts trade in a heartbeat. Eller is the 3C, that’s why they signed him and what they promised him.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: HulkVader
Hard pass on Puli, we’ve seen enough, he’s a zilch. Philly & Pittsburgh don’t trade. I wouldn’t have a problem with a POJ-Smith third pairing, but mostly because I dislike Ruhwedel. I’d do a Ruh-Borts trade in a heartbeat. Eller is the 3C, that’s why they signed him and what they promised him.

I do not like POJ and Smith together for a minute. One or the other on the left is fine and I’ll expect that’s a big point of competition come preseason. I keep hearing about who cared about the 3rd pairing… but good teams have at least an average one. That pairing even for 10 minutes a night is a big liability defensively.

I’m well aware of Eller as the 3C I just don’t like it and I think it’s going to look like a bad move come middle of the season.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 1:49 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: jfkst1
I think the hurricanes and devils are arguably the two best rosters in the entire league. So I agree there's not much chance in the Penguins surpassing them. I think the Rangers are better, but a much more surpassable team. Far less balanced than the other two.
As far as the bottom pairing defense, they're almost never going to play incompetitive games. Not unless there's a bunch of injuries which is the gamble the front office is taking. Ruhwedel is a much smarter player than Bortuzzo or especially Bogosian. He's been fine as a depth dman and PIT needs Joseph and Smith to get a chance to develop. Tatar is a much preferable depth forward target to Bailey.

I want Ruhwedel in WBS. Bogo and Bobby Bortuzzo bring size to the bottom pairing and you still need size despite this trend for smaller defenders. If they were all Adam Fox then it’s be understandable but it is always safe to have a 6’3 or bigger stay at home guy to pair with kids like POJ and Smith who aren’t going to win many battles along the boards. I’d love to have Tatar but I can’t see him signing for at or near minimum.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Quoting: edeangel84
I want Ruhwedel in WBS. Bogo and Bobby Bortuzzo bring size to the bottom pairing and you still need size despite this trend for smaller defenders. If they were all Adam Fox then it’s be understandable but it is always safe to have a 6’3 or bigger stay at home guy to pair with kids like POJ and Smith who aren’t going to win many battles along the boards. I’d love to have Tatar but I can’t see him signing for at or near minimum.

They're Jack Johnson 2.0. Better physical skills and lower hockey IQ. They won't fit in Sullivan's system just like Johnson didn't. 3RD SHOULD be almost irrelevant as the top two RD will play 45+ minutes/game. If Dubas wants an upgrade, he should go for a younger player with upside instead of established 6/7 Dmen like Ruh, Bogo, Bort., etc.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: pensfan21
Ideally Carter is not in lineup, but if he does play a 4th line with him Nieto and Accari wouldn't be awful. They're both fast and as much as we all want the Carter contract gone, he is able to score if in the right situations. So two fast players feeding it to him would not hurt us. Like the Bailey idea too, I think Pitlick or Poulin in top 6 though and move Rust to 3rd line to give it a little more scoring and speed. Will be an interesting training camp that's for sure. Hard to predict who will win the spots. For the bottom 6 to be good I think one of the many players competing will have to have a major breakout year, which is very possible.

I’m not a Pitlick fan and that’s why I have him in WBS. Nylander, Poulin, or even Puustinen all could shock us but now they’ll be facing competition from veterans like Johansson and Vinny Hinnistroza who’s a sneaky good signing. Tatar if he somehow is cheap would be a home run but I went with Bailey on the cheap because I can still see a 20 goal scorer in him if he rotates up the lineup.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 1:58 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: jfkst1
They're Jack Johnson 2.0. Better physical skills and lower hockey IQ. They won't fit in Sullivan's system just like Johnson didn't. 3RD SHOULD be almost irrelevant as the top two RD will play 45+ minutes/game. If Dubas wants an upgrade, he should go for a younger player with upside instead of established 6/7 Dmen like Ruh, Bogo, Bort., etc.

Funny you say that because I was hoping for Cal Foote, bigger and young! Seeler still for me is a perfect fit and I don’t care that he’s a lefty because he plays both sides and has the hockey IQ you’re talking about.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.

For the 10 minutes per game that the third pair is going to play, I'd just keep Smith and POJ just for their upside. Ruh can be the 7th like always. There's no need to spend on another 6th D-man to replace one of them when we have a few more in WB who area already signed and cheap. The Pen's whole philosophy is going to be puck possession. ("You don't have to defend if you have the puck." - Sullivan)
jfkst1 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 2:09 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Funny you say that because I was hoping for Cal Foote, bigger and young! Seeler still for me is a perfect fit and I don’t care that he’s a lefty because he plays both sides and has the hockey IQ you’re talking about.

My ideal would be Peeke from CBJ, but whether acquisition/cap is worth it for a player that won't likely be playing much is questionable. I do like Foote a lot as a defensive 3RD that can stabilize a bottom pairing with Joseph/Smith on the other side. I'm just guessing Sullivan trusts a vet like Ruh to play 3RD with Smith interchanging in occasionally. I'm also a huge fan of playing dmen on their strong side.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: jbc149
For the 10 minutes per game that the third pair is going to play, I'd just keep Smith and POJ just for their upside. Ruh can be the 7th like always. There's no need to spend on another 6th D-man to replace one of them when we have a few more in WB who area already signed and cheap. The Pen's whole philosophy is going to be puck possession. ("You don't have to defend if you have the puck." - Sullivan)

You don’t have the puck all the time and you don’t have the puck on the PK. Simply put someone has to defend.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
I’m not a Pitlick fan and that’s why I have him in WBS. Nylander, Poulin, or even Puustinen all could shock us but now they’ll be facing competition from veterans like Johansson and Vinny Hinnistroza who’s a sneaky good signing. Tatar if he somehow is cheap would be a home run but I went with Bailey on the cheap because I can still see a 20 goal scorer in him if he rotates up the lineup.

I think Bailey Malkin Smith line would be pretty good. Smith is good in transition game, Bailey is a good passer. Would compliment Malkin well I think. Hinnistroza is a good signing for sure, will add some speed to lineup.
edeangel84 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
Edited Aug. 10, 2023 at 3:42 p.m.
I agree about the standings. 3rd place is absolute best case scenario - although still probably unlikely. I have no issues with starting the season with POJ-Smith as the third pair and see how it works out for a few games. They both deserve a shot in the lineup and that would be the only way it happens. If it's a disaster, then just throw in Ruhwedel. I'm not sure any of the RD mentioned here are really an upgrade to the bald wonder.

I don't like the Eller signing either - but it does seem like they're happy about him as the 3C.

Tatar is still the #1 target for me if they can afford him - I would absolutely LOVE to take a flier on Puljujarvi

EDIT: I just realized Pul had double hip surgery. Nevermind. I think he would have been a great fit though
edeangel84 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2023 at 11:49 p.m.
I do not like POJ and Smith together for a minute. One or the other on the left is fine and I’ll expect that’s a big point of competition come preseason. I keep hearing about who cared about the 3rd pairing… but good teams have at least an average one. That pairing even for 10 minutes a night is a big liability defensively.

I’m well aware of Eller as the 3C I just don’t like it and I think it’s going to look like a bad move come middle of the season.

Lol, I’ll pass on to the guys who know what they’re doing that you dislike Eller at 3C, I’m sure they’ll get right on that.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 6:42 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: HulkVader
Lol, I’ll pass on to the guys who know what they’re doing that you dislike Eller at 3C, I’m sure they’ll get right on that.

Ask the Avs front office how he did with them and see how that goes.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 11:46 p.m.
Ask the Avs front office how he did with them and see how that goes.

Okay, I asked them. They said, “Infinitely better than Mikael Granlund.” 👍🏻

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll