BUF
  1. Tanev, Christopher
  2. 2024 6th round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. Bryson, Jacob
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (BUF)
PHI
  1. Jokiharju, Henri
  2. Olofsson, Victor ($2,375,000 retained)
  3. Östlund, Noah
  4. 2024 1st round pick (BUF)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$74,398,570$0$4,570,000$9,101,430
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,142,857$7,142,857
C
UFA - 7
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$855,833$855,833 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$7,100,000$7,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$412,500$412K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
RD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
G
RFA - 2
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 1
$4,285,714$4,285,714
LD
UFA - 7
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 27, 2023 at 11:13 p.m.
Quoting: worldwidesensei
I would 100% try to trade for Keller. Still your offer is way too much for him.

And...F is the last thing BUF needs. I don't really see the point in trading for a F at this point.

He is 25 with 5 more years at a great salary that had 80 some points on a garbage Ari team. I don’t think that would be enough. I think Ari would want Kulich Savoie Quinn or Peterka if they talked to us.
Aug. 27, 2023 at 11:15 p.m.

And...F is the last thing BUF needs. I don't really see the point in trading for a F at this point.
Aug. 27, 2023 at 11:18 p.m.

That is why this is at trade deadline. Not at this point for a Fwd but 3/4 of the way into the season.
I don’t think that is enough for Keller. Under contract at good rate for 5 more years. 25. Scored 80 some points on a garbage Ari team. I think they want Kulich Savoie Quinn or Peterka to start the talks with Buffalo.
Aug. 27, 2023 at 11:21 p.m.
Quoting: PHEN
He is 25 with 5 more years at a great salary that had 80 some points on a garbage Ari team. I don’t think that would be enough. I think Ari would want Kulich Savoie Quinn or Peterka if they talked to us.

Let me rewind....what 80 point player fetches:
1st
top-4 d-man
16th OA top prospect
28-goal scorer
+ retained salary?

That just doesn't happen.

I mean, Eichel was traded for much less. Karlsson for much less. Burns much less. Chychrun much less.

You're just giving up way too many assets for a player that we simply do not need.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 27, 2023 at 11:27 p.m.
That is why this is at trade deadline. Not at this point for a Fwd but 3/4 of the way into the season.
I don’t think that is enough for Keller. Under contract at good rate for 5 more years. 25. Scored 80 some points on a garbage Ari team. I think they want Kulich Savoie Quinn or Peterka to start the talks with Buffalo.

I'd probably do Peterka + 2025 1s <> Keller

And BUF prob loses that trade.
Aug. 27, 2023 at 11:35 p.m.
I'd probably do Peterka + 2025 1s <> Keller

And BUF prob loses that trade.

And allow me to explain my reasoning:
BUF 2024: fighting for playoffs
2025: 2nd round+
2026: True contenders

Who is Perteka in 2026? A cheaper, almost same version of Keller. I just hesitate to trade any forwards, 1st round picks, or prospects for any forward. We were one of the highest-scoring teams in the league.

The only reason I would make a trade like that is it adds age & experience, which might accelerate our timeline...but not sure if it actually helps us win the Stanley....so I really pass on trading for a top F while giving up so much. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Aug. 27, 2023 at 11:41 p.m.
Well im probably the only one but as a sabres fan i look at the roster and clearly see we don't ha e room for joker or (if we a add a forward) olofsson. TK is exactly the player i would want to replace olofsson with too. So if it cost me ostlund, a center who i dont even have ahl roster room for and a 1st, when hopefully this an other moves put me deeper into the playoff picture i'm probably going to pull the trigger on your offer...i would haggle the heck out of it though. I'd want to keep that first. Try and meet you with a 3rd...ok 2nd.
2 years of konecky showing my prospects what i want outta 5.5mil players on this team sounds like a perfect scenario to me.
Aug. 27, 2023 at 11:48 p.m.
Quoting: DDossett
Well im probably the only one but as a sabres fan i look at the roster and clearly see we don't ha e room for joker or (if we a add a forward) olofsson. TK is exactly the player i would want to replace olofsson with too. So if it cost me ostlund, a center who i dont even have ahl roster room for and a 1st, when hopefully this an other moves put me deeper into the playoff picture i'm probably going to pull the trigger on your offer...i would haggle the heck out of it though. I'd want to keep that first. Try and meet you with a 3rd...ok 2nd.
2 years of konecky showing my prospects what i want outta 5.5mil players on this team sounds like a perfect scenario to me.

Lol, we have room for Ostlund. He is choosing to play in SWE. He was just recently drafted -and by KA. Mid-first-round picks take ~5 years to make the NHL...if they make it.

How don't we have room for Joker? He was our #3 D-man last year. We suddenly have no room for a cheap, cost-controlled, RFA eligible RD?

And how many points/playoff wins does TK bring? 1-2 points? Maybe a playoff series win or 2 in the next 2 years? I mean, BUF is starving for even that....but greater things are to come if we aren't so hasty.
Aug. 28, 2023 at 6:06 a.m.
Flyers
Sure TK was a 61 point player last year but he did that in 60 games. Olofsson is in every single Buffalo trade and I view it as a cap dump more than anything. So Ostlund, #7 in Corey Pronman's Sabres prospect pool, and a 1st for PPG player.... not far fetched imo.

You can take out Joki and Ostlund and add Benson if you want.
Aug. 28, 2023 at 9:09 a.m.
Danny B is here
Since when is the going rate for a 60-point player 3 1sts + 28-goal scorer + retained salary....

As a BUF fan, I love me some Briere, but if he thinks he's getting that kind of return, he's just gonna be holding TK.

Ur over valuing ur players. Deals don’t work like that. Just cause u drafted a player in the 1st round doesn’t make them a 1st round talent. We have plenty of 1st round picks that aren’t even in the NHL anymore lol. So if we throw them in does the deal become equal? No exactly. Briere wants multiple 1sts and multiple good prospects for TK. This deal is pretty close to that. I would even except it without Olofsson if need be. But ur not getting TK for less than this and Keller is going to be even more lol
Aug. 28, 2023 at 11:07 a.m.
Quoting: AntiAnalytics
And is gonna need a HUGE contract soon

ALSO
there’s a big difference between ASKING PRICE
and “going rate”

The asking price is always inflated
Just like the 1st offer is always deflated
Then a deal is struck somewhere in between
That’s how negotiations works
Not a complicated concept- u should really have a handle on it by now

He loves licking Brieres boots lmao.
Aug. 28, 2023 at 11:29 a.m.
Quoting: Genozs
He loves licking Brieres boots lmao.

🤣🤣🤣

I totally get where he’s coming from
He just doesn’t seem to understand how negotiations works

No one gets what they initially ask for
Lol
Aug. 28, 2023 at 11:34 a.m.
I think by trade deadline Adams will be. Because Sabres be right there.
What scares me is they will get P Kane. I don’t want that. He is close with Adams. Played in Chi with Adams. Adams mentored him in Chi. Both Buf boys. Makes too much sense.

Pegula is supposedly a huge Pk88 fan too
I actually don’t mind the idea though

Sign him to a 1year deal, if it works out then extend him
If it doesn’t, go after Konecny, Keller, some UFA, (whatever) next offseason

It lets Adams & Pegula ease into it so to speak
And that might need to happen
There’s probably a bit of worry from when GMTM Fd up the first rebuild so badly that it took us years to dig outta that hole
Aug. 28, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.
And allow me to explain my reasoning:
BUF 2024: fighting for playoffs
2025: 2nd round+
2026: True contenders

Who is Perteka in 2026? A cheaper, almost same version of Keller. I just hesitate to trade any forwards, 1st round picks, or prospects for any forward. We were one of the highest-scoring teams in the league.

The only reason I would make a trade like that is it adds age & experience, which might accelerate our timeline...but not sure if it actually helps us win the Stanley....so I really pass on trading for a top F while giving up so much. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I get what you’re saying, and agree overall that this is too much for Konecny, Keller, etc

BUT
You’re also going too far by projecting Peterka to be on that level in a couple years- that’s very unlikely still imo
I like Peterka, but that’s quite the reach
Just as many prospects bust as they do work out
Most just end up as slightly above average players

Don’t think we should get too far ahead of ourselves
Some of our prospects/young players won’t amount to much
Aug. 28, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
See you space cowboy
I just don't think Briere wants to move TK right now. I would accept this though.

I see TK likely getting a return of a 1st in 2024, a 2nd in 2024 preferably but a 2025 2nd would do, and a high-end prospect.
Aug. 28, 2023 at 12:07 p.m.
Quoting: PHENdivclassquotedivclassquote_tQuotingbDDossett
Lol, we have room for Ostlund. He is choosing to play in SWE...How don't we have room for Joker? He was our #3 D-man last year...And how many points/playoff wins does TK bring? 1-2 points? ...
Quoting: Renegade_H
Sure TK was a 61 point player last year but he did that in 60 games. Olofsson is in every single Buffalo trade and I view it as a cap dump more than anything. So Ostlund, #7 in Corey Pronman's Sabres prospect pool, and a 1st for PPG player.... not far fetched imo.You can take out Joki and Ostlund and add Benson if you want.
Quoting: GMDannyB
Ur over valuing ur players... Just cause u drafted a player in the 1st round doesn’t make them a 1st round talent. We have plenty of 1st round picks that aren’t even in the NHL anymore lol...
Olofsson is mentioned in many trades not because he is bad but rather he has value and earns nearly five times as much as any ELC. The Sabres will need to use his current salary hit on Dahlin and Power immidiately and Quinn and Peterka in the near future.
It is really difficult to believe Olofsson while playing about 500 fewer minutes out scored DeBrincat last season and has more goals than Boeser over the last 4 seasons also playing about 500 fewer minutes, is a CAP DUMP while earning significantly less than either of them who are also not noted for playing much defense.

While it is true there are many first round draft picks who never see NHL ice, the reverse is also true.
Peterka and Kulich were drafted 34th and 28th OA, if one were to question NHL GM's it is safe to presume many would give up at least the 15th OA for either of them if not more.
Ostlund as a 19 yo is playing against men and is doing very well, he has certainly maintained his first round value after two years.

Jokiharju is a vanilla defenseman, he does not score nor does he hit.
In the 2021-'22 season ONLY Dahlin had more ice time than he.
Last season he was by a wide margine used more than any defenseman not named Rasmus, Mattias or Owen.
If Granato likes him so do I.

Obviously Travis Konecny is a great talent who had two different seasons of nearly posting a pt/gm.
Buffalo is building a team of players who want to be in Buffalo, drafted by Buffalo, came to Buffalo as a younger player, have a connection to a player/coach in Buffalo, have been on the team for a number of years or play on the fourth line or 3rd pairing:
Want to be in Buffalo, obviously Tuch and Okposo,
Drafted by Buffalo Peterka, Cozens, Quinn, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Power, Luukkonen, Olofsson, Bryson
Came to Buffalo as a young player Thompson, Krebs, Jokiharju, Levi
Have a connection Stillman, Johnson, Greenway
Play a less significant roll Jost, Comrie,
Have been a Sabre for a while Girgensons and Skinner
Which catagory would Travis Konecny fit into?
Peterka, Quinn, Benson, Kulich all have the potential to average 60 pts/82 games as Travis has done excluding his first season.

Well that is my tome for the week.
DDossett and worldwidesensei liked this.
Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
Lol, we have room for Ostlund. He is choosing to play in SWE. He was just recently drafted -and by KA. Mid-first-round picks take ~5 years to make the NHL...if they make it.

How don't we have room for Joker? He was our #3 D-man last year. We suddenly have no room for a cheap, cost-controlled, RFA eligible RD?

And how many points/playoff wins does TK bring? 1-2 points? Maybe a playoff series win or 2 in the next 2 years? I mean, BUF is starving for even that....but greater things are to come if we aren't so hasty.

You may notice Tanev has been added to this team, so if joker stays either he or one of the overpaid UFA's aquired is a 7th defensemen and stillman an 8th.

Kulich is already impressing, savoie is highly touted and the nhl roster has 4 1st round picks straight down the middle. So wether he chooses to or not ostlund will have to drive his value up in sweden as there is very little space for him to impress in north america. Ahl 3rd line c isnt easy to climb up from...and if he does to were?

If you don't see the value of a player like TK to the sabres roster i don't know what to say. Its not all about points (if your trying to win) only 1 guy at a time gets the puck. The rest of the time its working the boards and sound positioning. If you would rather play this season out depending on olofsson's forecheck threat, ostlunds positioning on another continent and a pick that hopefully is closer to a 2nd than a top 10 then thats apparently where we disagree.

The sabres will miss 0 pieces in this deal. The future still includes a great young team with loads of talent coming up. Better talent imo. The only real difference is you would have another seasoned vet who adds a style of play that is soarly missing from the current roster. But i digress, taking a team of record year players adding nothing and expecting them to do better just because they're a year older is dumb fantasy bs to me. I think the current roster is 1 more top 6 injury away from missing 500, after this year the morale will be down and the cost to keep players, make trades and pick up ufa's will increase because the gm sat on his hands hoarding assets and now with bursting pockets the rest of the league will simply walk begind you and pick up what falls out or over charge you because they know your so rich your assets are falling off. You only get so many roster spots, contracts and cap space. Its a gms job to manage them. Not waste them or stock pile them. If this team doesnt open its window now its wealth will become a burden.
Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
Olofsson is mentioned in many trades not because he is bad but rather he has value and earns nearly five times as much as any ELC. The Sabres will need to use his current salary hit on Dahlin and Power immidiately and Quinn and Peterka in the near future.
It is really difficult to believe Olofsson while playing about 500 fewer minutes out scored DeBrincat last season and has more goals than Boeser over the last 4 seasons also playing about 500 fewer minutes, is a CAP DUMP while earning significantly less than either of them who are also not noted for playing much defense.

While it is true there are many first round draft picks who never see NHL ice, the reverse is also true.
Peterka and Kulich were drafted 34th and 28th OA, if one were to question NHL GM's it is safe to presume many would give up at least the 15th OA for either of them if not more.
Ostlund as a 19 yo is playing against men and is doing very well, he has certainly maintained his first round value after two years.

Jokiharju is a vanilla defenseman, he does not score nor does he hit.
In the 2021-'22 season ONLY Dahlin had more ice time than he.
Last season he was by a wide margine used more than any defenseman not named Rasmus, Mattias or Owen.
If Granato likes him so do I.

Obviously Travis Konecny is a great talent who had two different seasons of nearly posting a pt/gm.
Buffalo is building a team of players who want to be in Buffalo, drafted by Buffalo, came to Buffalo as a younger player, have a connection to a player/coach in Buffalo, have been on the team for a number of years or play on the fourth line or 3rd pairing:
Want to be in Buffalo, obviously Tuch and Okposo,
Drafted by Buffalo Peterka, Cozens, Quinn, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Power, Luukkonen, Olofsson, Bryson
Came to Buffalo as a young player Thompson, Krebs, Jokiharju, Levi
Have a connection Stillman, Johnson, Greenway
Play a less significant roll Jost, Comrie,
Have been a Sabre for a while Girgensons and Skinner
Which catagory would Travis Konecny fit into?
Peterka, Quinn, Benson, Kulich all have the potential to average 60 pts/82 games as Travis has done excluding his first season.

Well that is my tome for the week.

I get what your saying, thier plan is pretty evident but it seems a little dreamy to think you won't need to add a piece to your roster.
Perhaps TK makes a new category of
Players that come here to win and fall in love along the way.
Aug. 29, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
Its a long E
Seriously bugs me how willing people are to throw Ostlund away. Guy dominated the league he was playing in all year long and people keep throwing him into trades like he's the sweetener in order to make another deal work. He was drafted in the first round and his skillset shows it. Stop treating him like a 4th round pick
Aug. 29, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Quoting: Evey89
Seriously bugs me how willing people are to throw Ostlund away. Guy dominated the league he was playing in all year long and people keep throwing him into trades like he's the sweetener in order to make another deal work. He was drafted in the first round and his skillset shows it. Stop treating him like a 4th round pick

Im pretty sure the arguement for picking "best player available" even tho it left you with 3 prospects at the teams strongest position was that they could be used as a sweetner in deals.
Ostlund could have been a physical right winger to develope or a rightside dman to add depth to our ahl club and after a few years the nhl team. But instead another center was picked, not a big center or a guy that plays with an edge or who has been an inpecable leader just another skilled center.
The problem here is that this acgm is adding tanev and konecny. So as the team has a full roster we need to move on from a dman and a forward. So joker and olofsson become the sweetner. Ostlund as a talented prospect is the key piece imo. The additional 1st is an overpay.
If you want to be perplexed by something try figuring why olofsson and joker seem to have no value on this site. Or for thst matter the league. I doubt we trade lybushkin for a 4th if jokers getting any decent concideration.
gretzkyghosts and Evey89 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll