Forums/Armchair-GM

According to Eric Francis

Created by: Gmonwy
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 19, 2023
Published: Sep. 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
He said that Klapka might make the opening night roster. IDK if I believe him, but this is based off of that. Duehr and Klapka play around 50/50 each
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$75,770,833$0$850,000$7,729,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$832,500$832,500
RW, C
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
RFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
$813,333$813,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
G
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 19, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.
Hard to say that before Camp has even started but he has been noticeable in Penticton. I personally think Jones will be our 13th forward but we will see
Sep. 19, 2023 at 12:40 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Hard to say that before Camp has even started but he has been noticeable in Penticton. I personally think Jones will be our 13th forward but we will see

I wouldn't be opposed to sending down Pelletier and Coronato on nights we don't play on paper(they are in the AHL but still with the NHL team) to gain more cap space early in the year to make Jones in the NHL to work as well
Sep. 19, 2023 at 12:41 p.m.
I hope Klapka can come into camp and put Ruzicka out of the opening night line up. I wouldn't sleep on Coronato starting in the AHL though.

10 - 28 - 17
88 - 91 - 39
22 - 11 - 20
41 - 29 - 71

Would be ideal

10 - 28 - 17
29 - 91- 88
22 - 11 - 20
41 - 63 - 71

Would be if Coronato needs a few pro games under his belt.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
Quoting: yycofred
I hope Klapka can come into camp and put Ruzicka out of the opening night line up. I wouldn't sleep on Coronato starting in the AHL though.

10 - 28 - 17
88 - 91 - 39
22 - 11 - 20
41 - 29 - 71

Would be ideal

10 - 28 - 17
29 - 91- 88
22 - 11 - 20
41 - 63 - 71

Would be if Coronato needs a few pro games under his belt.

Why are you against Ruzicka making it? I wouldnt be surprised if Coronato starts in the AHL either but we will see. Last year Zary had an excellent camp and was still sent down, I could see him pushing for a spot out of camp too
Sep. 19, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
Why are you against Ruzicka making it? I wouldnt be surprised if Coronato starts in the AHL either but we will see. Last year Zary had an excellent camp and was still sent down, I could see him pushing for a spot out of camp too

Because I think that the 4th line of Klapka - Dube - Duehr is significantly more responsible in every zone than one centered by Ruzicka. He is really really poor in transition which it sounds like this coaching staff will be pushing and I think that a 4th line without him provides the team way more flexibility when it comes to rolling 4 lines night after night.

If Zary is pushing is sure makes the forward group deeper and more skilled, it's great that they found some diamonds in the rough in Klapka, Duehr but the high skill guys pushing for spots is what's going to push the team forward. It stinks that Poirier couldn't play in Penticton, I hope he's 100% for camp and can show out again.
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 1:05 p.m.
Because I think that the 4th line of Klapka - Dube - Duehr is significantly more responsible in every zone than one centered by Ruzicka. He is really really poor in transition which it sounds like this coaching staff will be pushing and I think that a 4th line without him provides the team way more flexibility when it comes to rolling 4 lines night after night.

If Zary is pushing is sure makes the forward group deeper and more skilled, it's great that they found some diamonds in the rough in Klapka, Duehr but the high skill guys pushing for spots is what's going to push the team forward. It stinks that Poirier couldn't play in Penticton, I hope he's 100% for camp and can show out again.

Do you think Ruzicka is better suited for the wing then? I think he was fine at center last year, just needed more experience. He has the speed and size to play the position and he's not bad at faceoffs by any means. Transition game can be taught if you have the skillset to do it.

Personally I would much prefer to see Dube playing on Kadri's line. I think they meshed really well together last year. Then put either Pelletier or Sharangovich with them and you have a very fast and explosive line.

I think Zary will still probably stay in the minors this year centering the top line but I would not be against him making the team if Coronato isn't ready yet.
yycofred liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
Do you think Ruzicka is better suited for the wing then? I think he was fine at center last year, just needed more experience. He has the speed and size to play the position and he's not bad at faceoffs by any means. Transition game can be taught if you have the skillset to do it.

Personally I would much prefer to see Dube playing on Kadri's line. I think they meshed really well together last year. Then put either Pelletier or Sharangovich with them and you have a very fast and explosive line.

I think Zary will still probably stay in the minors this year centering the top line but I would not be against him making the team if Coronato isn't ready yet.

I think Ruzicka looked best when playing on the RW, I don't know if he helps build the most efficient 4th line. I;m not doubting his skillset but I don't think that he he has the hockey IQ to play in the NHL on a consistent basis, he lacks basic lane coverage in transition and especially on the back check.

Agreed that Dube looked good with Kadri to start the year but I feel like the got kinda caved in once Mangiapane was taken off that line, I would like to see Mangiapane play with Kadri and either Dube or Coronato to kind of provide that 200 foot safety net while still being a primarily offensive line.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 1:33 p.m.
I think Ruzicka looked best when playing on the RW, I don't know if he helps build the most efficient 4th line. I;m not doubting his skillset but I don't think that he he has the hockey IQ to play in the NHL on a consistent basis, he lacks basic lane coverage in transition and especially on the back check.

Agreed that Dube looked good with Kadri to start the year but I feel like the got kinda caved in once Mangiapane was taken off that line, I would like to see Mangiapane play with Kadri and either Dube or Coronato to kind of provide that 200 foot safety net while still being a primarily offensive line.

I don't think Mangiapane and Kadri meshed well at all together last year. I would almost rather they ran Coleman on that line than him. Mangiapane should stick with Backlund or play on the 1st line. Huberdeau is going to need a winger who is good at carrying the puck up ice if we are pairing him with Lindholm. I think Huberdeau and Lindholm have good chemistry in the offensive zone but are pretty average in transition. It's important to remember that Huberdeau's playstyle is a lot more similar to Tkachuk's than it is to Gaudreau's. He's not a puck carrier, he's the guy who makes breakout passes to the puck carrier. I personally think Coronato or Mangiapane will end up being that guy but we will see
Sep. 19, 2023 at 1:38 p.m.
I don't think Mangiapane and Kadri meshed well at all together last year. I would almost rather they ran Coleman on that line than him. Mangiapane should stick with Backlund or play on the 1st line. Huberdeau is going to need a winger who is good at carrying the puck up ice if we are pairing him with Lindholm. I think Huberdeau and Lindholm have good chemistry in the offensive zone but are pretty average in transition. It's important to remember that Huberdeau's playstyle is a lot more similar to Tkachuk's than it is to Gaudreau's. He's not a puck carrier, he's the guy who makes breakout passes to the puck carrier. I personally think Coronato or Mangiapane will end up being that guy but we will see

Coleman - Kadri - Coronato/Dube would be super interesting and never really even crossed my mind. I get so bogged down in keeping Coleman and Backlund together. I think we are on similar trains of thought, I would like to see Pelletier and Backlund together regardless of who is on that wing.

Huberdeau Lindholm will have a ton of impact on what happens on the right wing, I hope Sharengovich can work up there but you're probably right that Mang or Coronato are a better fit.
Ledge_And_Dairy and KingofRnR liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 1:44 p.m.
Coleman - Kadri - Coronato/Dube would be super interesting and never really even crossed my mind. I get so bogged down in keeping Coleman and Backlund together. I think we are on similar trains of thought, I would like to see Pelletier and Backlund together regardless of who is on that wing.

Huberdeau Lindholm will have a ton of impact on what happens on the right wing, I hope Sharengovich can work up there but you're probably right that Mang or Coronato are a better fit.

While I definitely get keeping Coleman and Backlund together I'm far more inclined to keep Backlund and Mange on the same line. Coleman is probably the most versatile player on our team. He won't play on the first line but I could easily see him slotting on any of lines 2, 3, or 4 depending on how many of the young high potential players make the roster (Pelletier, Coronato, and Zary). If 2-3 of them make it I would rather have Coleman on the 4th line than Dube as he is so reliable defensively and plays the physical checking role great (would mesh well with Duehr, Ruzika, and Klapka in that role IMO). Otherwise he could play and fit in on either of Backlund's or Kadri's wing just fine. With Backlund there is obvious chemistry, but with Kadri having a 2-way grinder winger makes a lot of sense too
yycofred liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 9:05 p.m.
TrevorA
Edited Sep. 19, 2023 at 9:22 p.m.

Since agaidreau left, Kadri is clearly CGY’s best puck carrier and zone entry guy, hence why I recommend Kadri as Lindholm & Huberdeau’s Right Winger. I also recommend this because I find Kadri to be lazy in his own end and defensively irresponsible, so let him focus on offense

In order for Kadri to be a Centre he needs STRONG Defensive Wingers like Coleman, Mangiapane and/or Sharangovich.

Dube isn’t responsible enough Defensively at Even Strength, but he & Coronato would be interesting to see Centred by a Strong Defensive Centre like Backlund, Coleman or Paul Stastny

Ruzicka is more of an Offensive Top-9 Player than a 4th line “Checker” and did well when placed on line 1, but never got a chance at 1RW. I’d love to make him a RW Power Forward, but he needs to work on using his Size & Strength and his overall consistency.

I like Ben Jones, but we need some Size, Physicality & Grit to replace the departures of Lucic, Ritchie x2 and Lewis, which Duehr, Klapka, Hunt & Pospisil bring and Ruzicka, Jones, Pelletier & Coronato don’t. Klapka looks like he’s definitely taken another step in his game and again, brings the size and grit we’ve lost

Pelletier & Coronato are likely not ready yet for full-time NHL duties, but like Ruzicka, they too are 2nd/3rd line players unless placed on a 4th “Energy” Line with a Veteran Defensively Responsible Centre, again like Backlund, Coleman or Stastny

Similar to Kadri, Ruzicka & Dube just aren’t responsible enough at Centre, especially to cover/carry young guys, they need the Coleman, Sharangovich, Stastny & Mangiapane’s on their wing if they’re gonna play Centre

If you’re going to keep Backlund & Mang together, I’d put Mang at RW with any of Huberdeau, Sharangovich, Dube, Ruzicka or Pelletier at LW to find the best offensive fit and move Coleman back to 3/4C. Mang-Backlund-Ruzicka/Duehr/Coronato might be interesting to see as well though

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll