SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New Jersey Devils

New Jersey Devils 2023-24 Season Discussion Thread #1

Feb. 10 at 11:32 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
There's no big mistakes with bastian really. It's just that he's not doing anything good and the other team is usually controlling possession

Any rush with him is a dump in, he's always just a touch slow getting to the boards to pick up a loose puck.

He just doesn't really provide anything out there.

If there is a better option, I am for it.
He played 8 minutes.
Doesn’t play enough to have huge impact either way.
Feb. 11 at 11:15 a.m.
More clickbait from James Nichols

Headline: "Report: Devils & Flames Engaged in Serious Trade Talks for Goaltender Jacob Markstrom"

(Headline sounds like a trade is coming, right?)

Opening paragraph: "The New Jersey Devils and Calgary Flames engaged in serious trade conversation about goaltender Jacob Markstrom, a report states. The Flames were in Newark on Thursday to face the Devils at the Prudential Center. According to Sportsnet Insider Elliotte Friedman, general managers Tom Fitzgerald and Craig Conroy had legitimate conversations regarding a trade for the 34-year-old netminder."

(Nichols had reported they had conversations before...but I guess those were not legitimate ones)

Friedman concludes: "The two sides did talk....it just sounds today like it’s unlikely.”

Nichols: "So there you have it. Fitzgerald is, in fact, looking for ways to upgrade the Devils’ goaltending."

(And Nichols trying to cover his arse becuase he has been printing stories for months saying a goalie trade is coming)

More Nichols: "However, as Friedman states, it looks like Markstrom won’t be the answer"

Nichols more clickbait the following day: "The latest trade news about Calgary Flames goaltender Jacob Markstrom is big. The New Jersey Devils need a goaltender and apparently, there’s not just smoke, but fire between the Flames and Devils, no pun intended."
Feb. 11 at 11:16 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: NHLfan10506
More clickbait from James Nichols

Headline: "Report: Devils & Flames Engaged in Serious Trade Talks for Goaltender Jacob Markstrom"

(Headline sounds like a trade is coming, right?)

Opening paragraph: "The New Jersey Devils and Calgary Flames engaged in serious trade conversation about goaltender Jacob Markstrom, a report states. The Flames were in Newark on Thursday to face the Devils at the Prudential Center. According to Sportsnet Insider Elliotte Friedman, general managers Tom Fitzgerald and Craig Conroy had legitimate conversations regarding a trade for the 34-year-old netminder."

(Nichols had reported they had conversations before...but I guess those were not legitimate ones)

Friedman concludes: "The two sides did talk....it just sounds today like it’s unlikely.”

Nichols: "So there you have it. Fitzgerald is, in fact, looking for ways to upgrade the Devils’ goaltending."

(And Nichols trying to cover his arse becuase he has been printing stories for months saying a goalie trade is coming)

More Nichols: "However, as Friedman states, it looks like Markstrom won’t be the answer"

Nichols more clickbait the following day: "The latest trade news about Calgary Flames goaltender Jacob Markstrom is big. The New Jersey Devils need a goaltender and apparently, there’s not just smoke, but fire between the Flames and Devils, no pun intended."

Someone send him back to the islanders I beg.
Feb. 11 at 2:57 p.m.
Someone send him back to the islanders I beg.

Just shows how easily rumors start.

I think Fitzy has done well keeping his process from leaking. Really the only predictable moves were Graves trade (with expansion draft coning) and Meier trade (whose desire to join Devils was worst kept secret in league).

If anything, he has often led breadcrumbs onto wrong trail. I would not be surprised to see Markstrom rumors swirl for a couple of weeks…then he acquires Gibson (or someone else…if he adds a goalie). That seems to be more common story with Fitzy’s reign.
Feb. 11 at 3:42 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Trading Holtz for Markstrom would be a terrible move
Feb. 11 at 3:55 p.m.
Quoting: Devil
Trading Holtz for Markstrom would be a terrible move

How about Holtz plus #13 pick?

And as a bonus, we get to pay the full salary?
Feb. 11 at 11:05 p.m.
Go Kansas City Scouts!
Feb. 12 at 12:22 p.m.
If Holtz is going, I want defense back. Preferably Middleton or some other LD
Feb. 12 at 5:37 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Whalers7997

Vitek has been quietly acceptable recently.

Early in the year we were playing elite hockey with awful goaltending, then injuries piled up.

And specifically since the 2nd hughes injury the devils have just been playing worse.

Early in the season we'd dominate play, shots, chances, etc and vitek would give up 2 back breakers and lose it.

Now we're hemmed in our own zone way more, controlling play less, and getting flat out outplayed way more often than we did early in the year.

4th line needs to improve. PK needs to improve. I like the PP with jack back way more but still would like a slightly different scheme.

Better puck movement from our D is needed.

Trenin and Pettersson would go way further towards fixing this team than a goalie.

Vitek has been basically at an even GSAx since the end of november. Been +ve since the new years.
Feb. 12 at 5:52 p.m.

If Holtz gets moved before his ELC runs out, I’d hope it would be for another young piece (preferably on ELC) that can stick with this team for years. We can patch holes with other pieces.
Feb. 12 at 5:56 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
If Holtz gets moved before his ELC runs out, I’d hope it would be for another young piece (preferably on ELC) that can stick with this team for years. We can patch holes with other pieces.

Holtz for Guhle
Holtz for Askarov
Holtz+1st for Swayman
Feb. 12 at 6:20 p.m.
Holtz for Guhle
Holtz for Askarov
Holtz+1st for Swayman

What teams need young and/or inexpensive finisher?

LAK (Turcotte, Kaliyev)
MIN (?)
NSH (Askorov)
FLA (Knight)
EDM (Broberg)
COL (?)
OTT (?)
dgibb10 liked this.
Feb. 12 at 6:29 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
What teams need young and/or inexpensive finisher?

LAK (Turcotte, Kaliyev)
MIN (?)
NSH (Askorov)
FLA (Knight)
EDM (Broberg)
COL (?)
OTT (?)

I think I’d put Holtz in trades involving Chychrun, Byram, McLeod (although that might be quite possibly the worst PR move you could make), Knight, Wallstedt,
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Feb. 13 at 10:00 a.m.
I think I’d put Holtz in trades involving Chychrun, Byram, McLeod (although that might be quite possibly the worst PR move you could make), Knight, Wallstedt,

Has Brogberg been good for EDM?
Feb. 13 at 10:57 a.m.
Has Brogberg been good for EDM?

Has been...not yet, hasn't really had a chance.
But have heard good things....stylistically, I think he would be a fit here.
Smitty426 liked this.
Feb. 13 at 12:26 p.m.
James Nichols just posted his latest…a deal for Markstrom was completed (for Holtz)…agreed to by Calgary. They asked Markstrom to waive and he agreed to go to NJ. Done deal.

See, he is proven right once again!
Feb. 13 at 12:29 p.m.
(Except there is no deal….and any sources he mentions are just other bloggers sourcing him…and all legit reporters have said it ain’t happening)

(I really hope this is Fitzy just messing with him)
dgibb10 liked this.
Feb. 13 at 12:37 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
(Except there is no deal….and any sources he mentions are just other bloggers sourcing him…and all legit reporters have said it ain’t happening)

From what I gleaned if it's accurate at all

-Holtz (without any other significant pieces) was on the table for Markstrom with significant retention
-NJD does not have interest in acquiring an unretained Markstrom
-Calgary does not have interest in retaining on markstrom
-No trade will be made
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Feb. 13 at 12:39 p.m.

Funny just came in here to post this! But with his recent MM trade fakes etc where you have made note I looked hesitantly. The article says Holtz so thats gotta make the kid feel good! Just when ya think Lindy cant get to him any more, he ends up being rumored like this!
Feb. 13 at 12:59 p.m.
From what I gleaned if it's accurate at all

-Holtz (without any other significant pieces) was on the table for Markstrom with significant retention
-NJD does not have interest in acquiring an unretained Markstrom
-Calgary does not have interest in retaining on markstrom
-No trade will be made

Quoting: Smitty426
Funny just came in here to post this! But with his recent MM trade fakes etc where you have made note I looked hesitantly. The article says Holtz so thats gotta make the kid feel good! Just when ya think Lindy cant get to him any more, he ends up being rumored like this!

My guess…it was all his speculation. Most of the ‘reports’ he has used were people citing his ‘reports’.

Then he linked up two recent events (a) Flames visited NJ and GMs met (which is common if GM is traveling with team); (b) Eric Francis story on Markstrom saying he would waive if asked…and just drew the logical line that proves him right.

Meanwhile others have been saying, essentially, “I asked, it’s not happening”

Weekes is now reporting/tweeting that NJD is talking to CBJ about Merzlikins. (Not saying I’d want that….but sending media on wild goose chase while he is pursuing another option would be classic Fitzy).
Smitty426 liked this.
Feb. 13 at 1:05 p.m.
My guess…it was all his speculation. Most of the ‘reports’ he has used were people citing his ‘reports’.

Then he linked up two recent events (a) Flames visited NJ and GMs met (which is common if GM is traveling with team); (b) Eric Francis story on Markstrom saying he would waive if asked…and just drew the logical line that proves him right.

Meanwhile others have been saying, essentially, “I asked, it’s not happening”

Weekes is now reporting/tweeting that NJD is talking to CBJ about Merzlikins. (Not saying I’d want that….but sending media on wild goose chase while he is pursuing another option would be classic Fitzy).

Although Weeksey has been a lil of the same lately!
Feb. 13 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: Smitty426
Although Weeksey has been a lil of the same lately!

Your guess is as best as mine in whether Merzlikins thing is true. I just think it would sound like Fitzy to lead media in one direction while actually perusing other options.
Smitty426 liked this.
Feb. 13 at 10:51 p.m.
Calgary fans say their reporters say Markstrom return was roster player, prospect, 1st, 2nd for Markstrom.

Friedman and Seravalli said it was Holtz.

Wouldn’t this confirm that no one is getting this from legit source…as there seem to be multiple versions of the story, none alike?

Also…the timeline doesn’t fit. Some say whole thing went down last week while CGY was in town (but wouldn’t explain Markstroms comments later that he hasn’t been asked to waive). Some say this happened at in-person meeting on Monday (both teams were playing other opponents).
Smitty426 liked this.
Feb. 13 at 11:19 p.m.
The 2022-23 Devils showed up
Devil liked this.
Feb. 13 at 11:23 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
We’re so back!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll