Forums/Armchair-GM

Opening Day 2023

Created by: OwnGoal
Team: 2023-24 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 1, 2023
Published: Oct. 2, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trades just for purpose of removing from roster. GMPD (or his replacement) can figure out the particulars.

Roby has had a good camp and deserves a look on the big club. Jarventie, Pinto and Grieg combining for a new energy/ “kid line” that can hit and score. Smejkal also had a good camp and would be a welcome replacement for Kelly on the 4th line.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,300,000
Trades
OTT
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (SEA)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$80,369,047$0$1,850,000$3,130,953
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 5
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 8
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 7
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LW
RFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
C
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 2
$870,000$870,000
LW
UFA - 1
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD
UFA - 1
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 1
$805,000$805,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 2, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
Now we are talking.

I don't know why so many ACGM's for Sens getting Pinto in completely ignore Grieg. Jarventie has had a great camp, but I would argue that it would be better to keep Kubalik for now, and let Jarventie work his way up to that spot if earned once he is playing reg season games.

I also have a hard time a team takes the Jospeh trade seems the ask is still pretty high no matter what the team is.
OwnGoal liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 3:30 p.m.
Sharks have no interest in that deal. We gain nothing and end up with a replacement level player making 3 mil a year for the next 3 years. And argue all you want his D game but we already have a 1/2 dozen guys similar to him making less.
OwnGoal liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
Quoting: Rob32sjsharks
Sharks have no interest in that deal. We gain nothing and end up with a replacement level player making 3 mil a year for the next 3 years. And argue all you want his D game but we already have a 1/2 dozen guys similar to him making less.

As stated in description trades just are to remove from team don’t care for the team or the returns. I just happen to be a Guelph storm fan so taking back Smith just for nostalgia.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.
Quoting: NDoody
Now we are talking.

I don't know why so many ACGM's for Sens getting Pinto in completely ignore Grieg. Jarventie has had a great camp, but I would argue that it would be better to keep Kubalik for now, and let Jarventie work his way up to that spot if earned once he is playing reg season games.

I also have a hard time a team takes the Jospeh trade seems the ask is still pretty high no matter what the team is.

I don’t disagree with keeping Kubalik I just am kinda leaning towards keeping Brannstrom because I’m not sure if anyone else would be able to slot into the top 4 incase of injury.
NDoody liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
Quoting: OwnGoal
As stated in description trades just are to remove from team don’t care for the team or the returns. I just happen to be a Guelph storm fan so taking back Smith just for nostalgia.

I understand but you have to know no one in NHL is taking on 3x3 from a 4th liner for anything under a 2nd! Only 4-5 teams with cap space and they won’t help without getting paid well for doing it! Especially with 7-8 teams needing to shed significant cap in less than a week. I predict a lot of good players on Waivers and some BS LTIR guys in the next week. It’s going to be interesting
Oct. 2, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
I understand but you have to know no one in NHL is taking on 3x3 from a 4th liner for anything under a 2nd! Only 4-5 teams with cap space and they won’t help without getting paid well for doing it! Especially with 7-8 teams needing to shed significant cap in less than a week. I predict a lot of good players on Waivers and some BS LTIR guys in the next week. It’s going to be interesting

Once again I’m not trying to propose a trade or suggest value I’m just removing him from the roster. I don’t get paid enough by the senators to be making deals for them lol. I agree tho it’s going to be an interesting week for teams in preparation for the season!
Oct. 2, 2023 at 4:32 p.m.
SEA passes on Kubalik. There isn't really any room for him with the current roster.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 6:37 p.m.
- Sens are very unlikely to carry a 23-men roster, at least not to start the year

- Imama is not NHL caliber

- I would not trade Joseph (only do the Kubalik trade) and let Jarventie develop in the AHL for this season. He just turned 21 y/o. Greig-Pinto-Joseph would be a great 3rd line

Otherwise roster looks great like this

Quoting: NDoody

Which is why it's a NO BRAINER to keep Joseph, who is the better ES player and a PK expert.

Joseph is NOT a replacement level at all.

Joseph is a top skater, elite PK forward, great forechecker, good defensively at ES and produces around 30 pts per 82 games, pretty much all at ES + PK. Quite valuable. He had a down year last season as he mostly played with really bad players (Dorion's usual mismanagement) but you can bank on him bouncing back and not being considered overpaid in the near future

Not trying to convince you to take him as I wouldn't even trade him. Just informing you on the player. He'd make the Skars a better team (which you probably don't want this year)

I understand but you have to know no one in NHL is taking on 3x3 from a 4th liner ...

Explained above but not a 4th liner at all. He was at the beginning with Tampa due to their depth being the top contender but in his rookie season for example, he scored 26 pts and 13 ES goals despite only playing 11 minutes... He was obviously going to be better than a 4th liner
OwnGoal liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 6:55 p.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit
- Sens are very unlikely to carry a 23-men roster, at least not to start the year

- Imama is not NHL caliber

- I would not trade Joseph (only do the Kubalik trade) and let Jarventie develop in the AHL for this season. He just turned 21 y/o. Greig-Pinto-Joseph would be a great 3rd line

Otherwise roster looks great like this

Which is why it's a NO BRAINER to keep Joseph, who is the better ES player and a PK expert.

Joseph is NOT a replacement level at all.

Joseph is a top skater, elite PK forward, great forechecker, good defensively at ES and produces around 30 pts per 82 games, pretty much all at ES + PK. Quite valuable. He had a down year last season as he mostly played with really bad players (Dorion's usual mismanagement) but you can bank on him bouncing back and not being considered overpaid in the near future

Not trying to convince you to take him as I wouldn't even trade him. Just informing you on the player. He'd make the Skars a better team (which you probably don't want this year)

Explained above but not a 4th liner at all. He was at the beginning with Tampa due to their depth being the top contender but in his rookie season for example, he scored 26 pts and 13 ES goals despite only playing 11 minutes... He was obviously going to be better than a 4th liner

For your sake I hope so! And I like those kind of player Don’t get me wrong, my argument is sharks have a few 20-30 point guys who are plus on the D side. (Sturm, Lindblom, Kunin, Zetterlund) and really need more top 6 talent. And while he very well could be a 3rd liner sharks have a glut of 3rd/ 4th liners. And while he may be a step ahead of a few of the guys I mentioned, all 4 of those guys are on shorter cheaper contracts. Plus the sharks need to suck this year to Celebrini next year (hahaha see my bad pun there)
I would say sharks could be interested in Pinto for say Bordeleau (who is talented and on ELC) and a pick but I have a feeling the ask would be Pit 1st and that’s a non starter.
Xspyrit liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 1:59 p.m.
For your sake I hope so! And I like those kind of player Don’t get me wrong, my argument is sharks have a few 20-30 point guys who are plus on the D side. (Sturm, Lindblom, Kunin, Zetterlund) and really need more top 6 talent. And while he very well could be a 3rd liner sharks have a glut of 3rd/ 4th liners. And while he may be a step ahead of a few of the guys I mentioned, all 4 of those guys are on shorter cheaper contracts. Plus the sharks need to suck this year to Celebrini next year (hahaha see my bad pun there)
I would say sharks could be interested in Pinto for say Bordeleau (who is talented and on ELC) and a pick but I have a feeling the ask would be Pit 1st and that’s a non starter.

All of this makes sense and I understand why you don't need him as you have a few similar-ish players but was more reacting to what you said "replacement level player" and "4th liner"

Why use those terms?
Oct. 3, 2023 at 2:13 p.m.
All of this makes sense and I understand why you don't need him as you have a few similar-ish players but was more reacting to what you said "replacement level player" and "4th liner"

Why use those terms?

Because while players like him are valuable and necessary, they are easier to find and usually much cheaper than a playmaker or sniper.
I guess I should have used quality depth guy. I see him in the same light as Sturm or Goodrow kind of guys, very valuable but not highly sought after.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 6:59 p.m.
Because while players like him are valuable and necessary, they are easier to find and usually much cheaper than a playmaker or sniper.
I guess I should have used quality depth guy. I see him in the same light as Sturm or Goodrow kind of guys, very valuable but not highly sought after.

Ok but that's the thing, guys like Givani Smith and Justin Bailey are 4th liners, replacement level players, guys like Nico Sturm, Luke Kunin or Fabian Zetterlund are more 3rd liners. Goodrow and Joseph too.

Maybe you didn't know what "replacement level player" means
Oct. 3, 2023 at 11:18 p.m.
Ok but that's the thing, guys like Givani Smith and Justin Bailey are 4th liners, replacement level players, guys like Nico Sturm, Luke Kunin or Fabian Zetterlund are more 3rd liners. Goodrow and Joseph too.

Maybe you didn't know what "replacement level player" means

Smith and Bailey are below replacement level, again like I said in the message you quoted I should have called him a Quality depth player.
Xspyrit liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll