SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 2

Nov. 12, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 12, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Vancouver was an inferior team though... It was obvious last night as TO had all the chances minus playing on the PK 6 times to 2... And look at VAN's schedule, they faced the struggling Oilers 3 times, the Sharks once, the Sens once, the Blues once and the Preds twice out of their 10 wins and they lost to the Flyers... That's 8/10 wins that they should have had no matter what, minus injuries... You might counter with: "Well the Leafs lost to the Preds and Sens" but both games were bad on the Leafs end with no depth on the back end... That's why reinforcing the depth would be huge...

In general Leafs were the team on the second half of a b2b if anything they should not have been outplaying Van that badly lul. A team who coming in top in the NHL in scoring

But the fact they got better in the second game should be used as a motivator for the team and allow for a jumpstart in momentum.

McCabe coming back has been nice but more is needed still on the defensive end

As their PK still needs some work even though it was 6/8 in 2 games and they still need a 2nd pair RD. Net front is also needed but it all depends on assets. Cause RD should be priority rn. Go spend on that. LD to allow Gio to rest is secondary (if that new guy can also be a strong net front defender also would help)

While sample size is small I think the callups have fixed the bottom 6

McMann and Robertson have done a nice job and the bottom 6 for the first time felt useable. Now its not to say Reaves doesnt also have a use but that use is so specialized. Like we saw when other team had an enforcer it works when they dont have 0 point

But yea Leafs matched Van than smacked them and not allowing 4 goals at home nice touch. So its not Van is inferior but Leafs matched them pretty well than overcame them. Now will they keep it up lets see
Nov. 12, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Saw OTT vs. CGY and man idk that games me not want any of their Dman lul

Zadorov gave the puck away so many times

Tanev could not tie up anyone

Yea while its one game its the same stuff we complained about from our guys. Well at least nobody looked Klingberg bad lul
Nov. 12, 2023 at 3:20 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
In general Leafs were the team on the second half of a b2b if anything they should not have been outplaying Van that badly lul. A team who coming in top in the NHL in scoring

But the fact they got better in the second game should be used as a motivator for the team and allow for a jumpstart in momentum.

McCabe coming back has been nice but more is needed still on the defensive end

As their PK still needs some work even though it was 6/8 in 2 games and they still need a 2nd pair RD. Net front is also needed but it all depends on assets. Cause RD should be priority rn. Go spend on that. LD to allow Gio to rest is secondary (if that new guy can also be a strong net front defender also would help)

While sample size is small I think the callups have fixed the bottom 6

McMann and Robertson have done a nice job and the bottom 6 for the first time felt useable. Now its not to say Reaves doesnt also have a use but that use is so specialized. Like we saw when other team had an enforcer it works when they dont have 0 point

But yea Leafs matched Van than smacked them and not allowing 2 goals at home nice touch. So its not Van is inferior but Leafs matched them pretty well than overcame them. Now will they keep it up lets see

Fair
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 12, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Saw OTT vs. CGY and man idk that games me not want any of their Dman lul

Zadorov gave the puck away so many times

Tanev could not tie up anyone

Yea while its one game its the same stuff we complained about from our guys. Well at least nobody looked Klingberg bad lul

Zadorov is a decent enough addition for the bottom pairing. It would be an issue if he was the only addition to the blue line. Ive said it before and I'll say it again: Noah Hanifin is our guy
Nov. 12, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 12, 2023 at 4:43 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Zadorov is a decent enough addition for the bottom pairing. It would be an issue if he was the only addition to the blue line. Ive said it before and I'll say it again: Noah Hanifin is our guy

The one issue I saw was against OTT he got exposed. Like OTT had a field day stealing pucks from him and while he would help in some area's man the asking price for what I saw yea no go spend on someone else than go find a cheaper 3rd pair option

Hanafin also not the guy they need he does not fix the 2 glaring holes (2nd pair RD and net front). Cause our issue is not the left side its the right

Weegar, Andersson and Tanev come the closest rn on CGY side. As im curious to see how Weegar does on his strong side.
Nov. 12, 2023 at 4:16 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Doesn't Hanifin not want to play in Canada?
Nov. 12, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Doesn't Hanifin not want to play in Canada?

No idea, I usually don't buy into that narrative. It gets blown way out of proportions because of Gaudreau. Plus, Toronto is typically an exemption to that rule (ala Jake McCabe)
Nov. 12, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
No idea, I usually don't buy into that narrative. It gets blown way out of proportions because of Gaudreau. Plus, Toronto is typically an exemption to that rule (ala Jake McCabe)

Makes sense, but there are also times where players don't want to play in Toronto like Brett Pesce
Nov. 12, 2023 at 4:38 p.m.
Rip
Vancouver was an inferior team though... It was obvious last night as TO had all the chances minus playing on the PK 6 times to 2... And look at VAN's schedule, they faced the struggling Oilers 3 times, the Sharks once, the Sens once, the Blues once and the Preds twice out of their 10 wins and they lost to the Flyers... That's 8/10 wins that they should have had no matter what, minus injuries... You might counter with: "Well the Leafs lost to the Preds and Sens" but both games were bad on the Leafs end with no depth on the back end... That's why reinforcing the depth would be huge...

Vancouver had more shots and more chances. I am not trying dump on the leafs but this isn't a game I was proud of. They didn't dominate in any way beyond scoring 5 and Demko wasn't exactly great. They looked more like they did last year than how they have looked this season so far. It was a trap game for Vancouver and they didn't answer the bell.
Nov. 12, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
Vancouver had more shots and more chances. I am not trying dump on the leafs but this isn't a game I was proud of. They didn't dominate in any way beyond scoring 5 and Demko wasn't exactly great. They looked more like they did last year than how they have looked this season so far. It was a trap game for Vancouver and they didn't answer the bell.

Again, 6 PPs to 2 PPs... And the Leafs had more possession in the offensive zone and more chances 5v5...

The Leafs were the better team and the better team won again...
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 12, 2023 at 5:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 12, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.
Makes sense, but there are also times where players don't want to play in Toronto like Brett Pesce

Yea would suggest not buying into to much of what Serevalli or Pagnotta say as those guys talk out their arses. Remember the Gibson trade ****. Always take their reports with handfuls of salt.

A good example of knowing is manson as we knew it was reported for years he never wanted to come to Canada but Pesce has been linked to Toronto for years with no report till Pagnotta decided he needed views lul. Why would it not come out then he didnt want to come.

Maybe its true maybe its not but yea hes not gonna get traded anyways as Canes are trying for a cup
Nov. 12, 2023 at 5:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 12, 2023 at 5:28 p.m.

That one car ride really ****ed him over didnt it

Would have taken that deal as honestly if he and Tkachuck stayed in CGY and they just tinkered a bit could have been really scary especially with a new HC

Or heck going to NJ over CBJ

Bet hes wishing for a due over rn lul
Nov. 12, 2023 at 6:18 p.m.
Rip
Again, 6 PPs to 2 PPs... And the Leafs had more possession in the offensive zone and more chances 5v5...

The Leafs were the better team and the better team won again...

Better plan the parade I guess
Nov. 12, 2023 at 6:33 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Better plan the parade I guess

Why though? My point was Van wasn't a good team, so the leafs need to step up vs an actual test
Nov. 12, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
Rip
Why though? My point was Van wasn't a good team, so the leafs need to step up vs an actual test

Vancouver is a decent team, they aren't as good as their record implies but they are good team. And they didn't show up vs TO. They played like a team that thought it was going to be an easy win. Like TO does whenever they play a bad team.
Nov. 12, 2023 at 7:59 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Vancouver is a decent team, they aren't as good as their record implies but they are good team. And they didn't show up vs TO. They played like a team that thought it was going to be an easy win. Like TO does whenever they play a bad team.

Toronto just outplayed them... It's not that Van didn't show up, it's just that's what happens when TO turns it up
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 12, 2023 at 9:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 12, 2023 at 10:12 p.m.
Toronto just outplayed them... It's not that Van didn't show up, it's just that's what happens when TO turns it up

When Toronto often plays to their oponent

When they face a contender they often matchup nicely. When opposing team is not good/lottery they often are not good.

Van wasnt so much out of it as they didnt match the intensity. They started strong than couldnt keep up

Pretty funny when you consider we were on the second half of a b2b

But nah people just cant except when we beat strong teams sometimes or say someone was bad when they werent. Cant reach everyone
Nov. 12, 2023 at 11:20 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Looking at the Wyatt Johnstons and Dawson Mercers of the league makes me so excited to see Cowan and Minten in the show
Nov. 13, 2023 at 1:36 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Looking at the Wyatt Johnstons and Dawson Mercers of the league makes me so excited to see Cowan and Minten in the show

We technically already have it now with Robertson and Knies they are just added bonuses
Nov. 13, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
For the draft heads on here.

3 london knights with the obvious on top. Hell even Testa is having a good year and we traded his ass for being **** lmao. God I love cheering for the empire
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 13, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Apparently per EF on 32 thoughts

Someone from the Maple Leafs (didnt say who) went to Zadorov after TOR vs. CGY and said your exactly what we need

Wonder who it was

Im going with Bertuzzi lul

Honestly im on the fence on this one. I think priority should be 2nd pair RD as the big issue is you bring him in Gio comes out which is fine for playoffs but I just cant see that man come out rn.
Nov. 13, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
Amirov Forever
If the Leafs do wind up trading for Zadorov, I'm not expecting Klingberg to go back the other way. If he is the guy to get axed to make the money work, I think there's a pretty good chance that'll be in a separate trade.

Putting my tin foil hat on, I wonder if the reason the Zadorov deal hasn't happened yet is because Toronto is finding a suitor for Klingberg. Milstein and Zadorov were hoping for a quick resolution, so the Flames don't have a ton of leverage here
Nov. 13, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 13, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
If the Leafs do wind up trading for Zadorov, I'm not expecting Klingberg to go back the other way. If he is the guy to get axed to make the money work, I think there's a pretty good chance that'll be in a separate trade.

Putting my tin foil hat on, I wonder if the reason the Zadorov deal hasn't happened yet is because Toronto is finding a suitor for Klingberg. Milstein and Zadorov were hoping for a quick resolution, so the Flames don't have a ton of leverage here

Thats the only way though to make the money work

Even if CGY ret 50% over the cap

Basically if they make a deal for anyone rn money will have to go the other way

CGY knows this. Which is why I think its gonna be a TDL move. As by then they probs out so will be most likely willing to take on contracts.

But who knows maybe not.

We have seen teams deal contracts before

Chucky for Zucker 4.9m out 5.5m in
Nov. 13, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-d-conor-timmins-ahead-of-schedule-nearing-return-1.2035149

Klingberg's time could soon be at an end
Nov. 13, 2023 at 3:30 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Thats the only way though to make the money work

Even if CGY ret 50% over the cap

Basically if they make a deal for anyone rn money will have to go the other way

CGY knows this. Which is why I think its gonna be a TDL move. As by then they probs out so will be most likely willing to take on contracts.

But who knows maybe not.

We have seen teams deal contracts before

Chucky for Zucker 4.9m out 5.5m in

Not arguing that, my point was that he wouldn't be going to Calgary per say. Probably gets moved in a different deal

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll