Forums/Armchair-GM

How do they even make trades

Created by: Theo_nollaf
Team: 2023-24 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 23, 2023
Published: Nov. 23, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This Columbus situation is tough. I don't think Jarmo or JD will be fired mid-season, mostly because good replacements aren't really available, but this team needs changes before June. It seems crazy to keep things the way they are when you are bleeding trade value in the Laine situation and guys like Kent Johnson and David Jiricek are not getting top-level reps. With that being said, I guess the only option is Jarmo and JD getting their you-know-what together because there are still moves to be made here. It seems finally that the Laine era is coming to a close and there should be many suitors for him despite the contract. I like the fit in Carolina as he is a countryman of Aho's and they can cover up/help him on his defensive game. Despite this, I am extremely unclear what value he holds, even with a little retention. I think Necas and Suzuki is probably an overpay but I am willing to be optimistic about Laine's potential on a better team. Necas is a pending RFA and it seems to me, from afar, that he is kind of an odd man out with the resurgence of Jarvis and all of the pending UFA defenceman. Disagree if you'd like with the trade, but I'd love to hear some alternatives. The other move I feel is necessary is clearing space on the blueline for Jiricek and soon Mateychuk, Svozil and Ceulmans. I'm not really sure how good Peeke really is but he seems like a respectable defensive option for a good team. He seems like a nice fit in Vancouver as they search to bolster their blueline with sound defenceman (On good deals nonetheless). Beauvillier is here to counteract the salary and the 3rd is based on the Schenn return on last years trade. The next management team should also heavily consider a Gudbranson buyout, as he really has little use after this past offseason's veteran adds on defense. Columbus doesn't really need wingers so they then flip Beauvillier to Tampa where he can play a fast and grinding style like what Connor Sheary was brought in for (What's up with him btw?). This team is obviously not amazing but with some tweaks and smart spending and development Columbus CAN make the leap we expected of them this year next season.
Trades
CBJ
  1. 2025 5th round pick (MIN)
NYR
  1. Robinson, Eric ($800,000 retained)
CBJ
  1. Necas, Martin
  2. Suzuki, Ryan
Additional Details:
Fredrik Andersen goes on LTIR
CAR
  1. Laine, Patrik ($1,200,000 retained)
CBJ
  1. Beauvillier, Anthony
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (VAN)
CBJ
  1. Myers, Philippe
  2. 2024 7th round pick (CHI)
  3. 2026 4th round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
Connor Sheary goes on LTIR
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$71,564,166$0$7,750,000$11,935,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$9,750,000$9,750,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,200,000$3M)
C
RFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
RFA - 1
$1,525,000$1,525,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,583,333$9,583,333
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RD
RFA - 2
$5,400,000$5,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,725,000$4,725,000
LD
UFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
RD
RFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 1
$2,333,333$2,333,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$975,000$975,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 23, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
sheary got injured and will probably be back soon so they cant put him on LTIR, also even before he got hurt he was terrible and probably the worst forward on the team so if beauvillier is anything like sheary we dont want him
Nov. 23, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
It's really weird to me how much people are speculating about a Laine trade. He has been very happy in Columbus, he has taken an active mentorship role with Fantilli, he just found a new gf in town, he spent the majority of his summer in Columbus this year, he has been very productive in the games he has played over the last 2 years. It's like a rough 15 games that include recovering from a concussion suddenly has reset all of the work he has put in over his time in Columbus to develop his game and there was never anything positive about him being with the team.

Same goes for Kent Johnson to a degree. He was struggling due to his size and instincts so they put him in a position where he could work on those parts of his game while also getting reps as a 1C to get used to that position in a professional situation. How that is being construed as an ongoing negative is baffling to me. Like the team has constantly been given **** for rushing their prospects and now that they're giving a high profile one extra time to work on parts of his game that badly need to develop they're still getting **** for it. What gives?

In what world do the Jackets even remotely consider a Gudbranson buyout? He has absolutely been earning his contract after settling into a more suitable role, but again people want to pretend like they've been watching him play and that there has been no improvement to how he has played with them.
Nov. 23, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken
If the Canes have interest in Laine, they aren’t moving Necas to do so. They weren’t willing to do it previously, and they certainly aren’t doing that now, especially when Necas has triple the amount of points that Laine does. I would expect a futures based package from Carolina, likely with TDA being included for cap purposes. A 3rd team might have to be included for retention.
Nov. 23, 2023 at 4:29 p.m.
Quoting: evelutions2
If the Canes have interest in Laine, they aren’t moving Necas to do so. They weren’t willing to do it previously, and they certainly aren’t doing that now, especially when Necas has triple the amount of points that Laine does. I would expect a futures based package from Carolina, likely with TDA being included for cap purposes. A 3rd team might have to be included for retention.

I would consider a trade for Laine where TDA leaves a double win
Nov. 23, 2023 at 6:52 p.m.
Barzals skateblade
Quoting: dk325
It's really weird to me how much people are speculating about a Laine trade. He has been very happy in Columbus, he has taken an active mentorship role with Fantilli, he just found a new gf in town, he spent the majority of his summer in Columbus this year, he has been very productive in the games he has played over the last 2 years. It's like a rough 15 games that include recovering from a concussion suddenly has reset all of the work he has put in over his time in Columbus to develop his game and there was never anything positive about him being with the team.

Same goes for Kent Johnson to a degree. He was struggling due to his size and instincts so they put him in a position where he could work on those parts of his game while also getting reps as a 1C to get used to that position in a professional situation. How that is being construed as an ongoing negative is baffling to me. Like the team has constantly been given **** for rushing their prospects and now that they're giving a high profile one extra time to work on parts of his game that badly need to develop they're still getting **** for it. What gives?

In what world do the Jackets even remotely consider a Gudbranson buyout? He has absolutely been earning his contract after settling into a more suitable role, but again people want to pretend like they've been watching him play and that there has been no improvement to how he has played with them.

Do not want to pretend to be a Blue Jackets fan or even someone who often watches them so I'll get that out of the way. Obviously when your team sucks and you healthy late healthy scratch a player out of nowhere and have been playing him at NOT his position for the past year-ish because you need more of that position then there will be trade speculation, that's just sports. The concussion could play a role but they wouldn't scratch him as a punishment if they knew that it was affecting his play. For Gudbranson, I just wonder who the Blue Jackets want on their team long-term and even next year. Provorov, Severson, and Wrenski are all obvious locks to play in the top 6, and getting reps for Jiricek, Boqvist, and Beane would all help them as they develop. That leaves Peeke, Gubranson, and all of the rest of their depth defenders without a spot the way I see it, so it's a matter of whether you want to pay him 4mil to be a 7th D or if you're willing to eat the dead cap.
Nov. 23, 2023 at 7:00 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Quoting: Theo_nollaf
Do not want to pretend to be a Blue Jackets fan or even someone who often watches them so I'll get that out of the way. Obviously when your team sucks and you healthy late healthy scratch a player out of nowhere and have been playing him at NOT his position for the past year-ish because you need more of that position then there will be trade speculation, that's just sports. The concussion could play a role but they wouldn't scratch him as a punishment if they knew that it was affecting his play. For Gudbranson, I just wonder who the Blue Jackets want on their team long-term and even next year. Provorov, Severson, and Wrenski are all obvious locks to play in the top 6, and getting reps for Jiricek, Boqvist, and Beane would all help them as they develop. That leaves Peeke, Gubranson, and all of the rest of their depth defenders without a spot the way I see it, so it's a matter of whether you want to pay him 4mil to be a 7th D or if you're willing to eat the dead cap.

See right off the bat you're wrong in your speculation. Laine has played a grand total of 8 games at center in Columbus. Six this year and two last year. The scratch also wasn't necessarily a punishment, just like KJ being sent to Cleveland wasn't a punishment.

Boqvist and Bean at this point don't have significant futures in Columbus. With the way Gudbranson is playing he has secured a roster spot for the foreseeable future and likely has trade value if it were to come to that. He has been good this year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll