Forums/Armchair-GM

Buchnevich

Created by: BluesReport18
Team: 2023-24 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 1, 2023
Published: Dec. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is coming from a Blues fan. My thought is if Vancouver really wants to go all in their biggest target should be Buch. He is cost controlled for the next 2 years (especially if retained) and he is one of the most underrated players in the league.

Now do the Blues want to trade him? I think Buch is amazing but when looking at where he fits in our timeline of contention I just think he'll be well out of his prime by the time we are true contenders. Therefore we might as well sell high on him and get some great futures.

Below I have put together multiple trade proposals that just have different perspectives of getting Buch. I think the Blues would want either Lekkerimaki or Willander as the key part of the trade but is Vancouver really willing to give up on either, likely not (and almost certainly not Willander).
Either way I have put together trades including both of them just to see what it would look like.

I have to believe in any deal the Blues will be looking for about the equivalent of 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick.

In the deals below I assumed:
* Lekkerimaki = 1st + 2nd
* Willander = 2 1sts
* For the deal with Podkolzin I feel like he needs a change of scenery before next year and could be added to take on Myers cap hit.

I know Vancouver fans would love to get Buch cheap but the Blues don't really have an incentive to sell low on him as they could just keep him and sign him long term (even though I don't think that's the best move they might). I think of the 3 deals below Vancouver likely does the first one. Hoglander has been really good this year so they might not want to include him so maybe Podkolzin instead but there needs to be some actual players of value instead of just picks.

Thoughts?
Trades
VAN
  1. Bortuzzo, Robert
  2. Buchnevich, Pavel ($2,900,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Bortz is a better add than Myers especially for a playoff team.
This move clears up 3.5 million in cap space for Vancouver to continue making moves at the deadline.

Raty + Myers = 1st
Hoglander = 2nd
24 1st
Bortz = 6th
STL
  1. Höglander, Nils
  2. Myers, Tyler
  3. Räty, Aatu
  4. 2024 1st round pick (VAN)
  5. 2024 6th round pick (VAN)
VAN
    Buch 50% retained
    Bortz
    STL
    1. Lekkerimäki, Jonathan
    2. Podkolzin, Vasily
    Additional Details:
    Add in 24' 1st round pick
    Add in Tyler Myers
    VAN
      Buch 50% retained
      STL
      1. Willander, Tom [Reserve List]
      2. 2025 2nd round pick (VAN)
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$83,500,000$79,889,167$850,000$0$3,610,833
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the St. Louis Blues
      $2,900,000$2,900,000
      LW, RW, C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $7,350,000$7,350,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $4,750,000$4,750,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      C, LW, RW
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      $6,650,000$6,650,000
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $825,000$825,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,600,000$1,600,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 2
      $4,950,000$4,950,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 3
      $775,000$775,000
      LW
      UFA - 2
      $1,900,000$1,900,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,150,000$1,150,000
      RW, C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $883,750$883,750
      C
      RFA - 1
      $883,750$883,750
      RW
      RFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $7,850,000$7,850,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $4,400,000$4,400,000
      RD
      RFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      UFA - 3
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $3,250,000$3,250,000
      LD/RD
      NTC
      UFA - 3
      Logo of the St. Louis Blues
      $950,000$950,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $775,000$775,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $775,000$775,000
      LD
      UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:08 p.m.
      Raty + Myers isn't equivalent to a first. Myers contract is up at the end of the year, he's a rental. Raty may still become something, as he's been good in the AHL, but he's barely seen time in the NHL. There is hardly any value in these 2 players at the moment.

As for the other options, I don't see Vancouver moving on from Lekkerimaki or Willander.
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:09 p.m.
      Take the 1st rounder out of the first trade.
      The other 2 trades are hard no’s.
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
      Quoting: Canucks4life
      Take the 1st rounder out of the first trade.
      The other 2 trades are hard no’s.

So you want Buch for Hoglander, Raty, and Myers...that's pretty horrible value.
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.
      Blues decline, I think other teams would have better offers for Buch than this imo
      mokumboi liked this.
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
      👉👈 is that all you want for Buch? or would we hypothetically have to pay a "your GM made a bad trade involving this player once and looked stupid so you have to pay more" tax on him?

Bc he might be the answer to getting Zib + Kreider going at ES.
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
      Quoting: BroadwayBlueshirts
      👉👈 is that all you want for Buch? or would we hypothetically have to pay a "your GM made a bad trade involving this player once and looked stupid so you have to pay more" tax on him?

A trade back to the Rangers would be interesting. I feel like the Rangers wouldn't do it though because it would be like admitting a mistake in trading him the first time (it was for salary needs but still).
      Either way the Rangers have the prospects and picks to get a deal done. I'd imagine they would want the deal centered around Kakko but his value has dipped a lot and his injury seems bad so the Blues likely don't go for him. Do you have any trade proposals?
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:49 p.m.

I think any realistic situation involves a good prospect, a decently young roster replacement (Zetterlund ->Sharks), a great prospect and a 1st + 2nd (possibly conditional to turn into a 1st).

I’m pretty convinced for Buch at 50% the return would at bare minimum be in the realm of the Meier trade. I don’t see why he would be moved for less especially this season when a more Horvat return is something that’s conceivable at the tdl. The overall pieces between the two aren’t that far off.

Ohkutiok + Zetterlund + Mukmahdullin + late 1st + cond 2nd
      Vs
      Mid tier 1st + Raty + Beauvillier

Hypothetically just spitballing.

Kakko + Schneider + Othmann + 1st + 25 cond 2nd. For Buch at 50%.

Not really sure how much that accomplishes for us versus just keeping Buch. We’re bound to be stuck right on the cusp for a while id imagine. Our defense isn’t great but is too good to flatline. Same with our forwards. And our goalies have been stealing points left and right. Extending Buch realistically is probably our best route, unless someone is willing to chuck a true top end d prospect our way
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:51 p.m.
      Quoting: BluesReport18
      A trade back to the Rangers would be interesting. I feel like the Rangers wouldn't do it though because it would be like admitting a mistake in trading him the first time (it was for salary needs but still).
      Either way the Rangers have the prospects and picks to get a deal done. I'd imagine they would want the deal centered around Kakko but his value has dipped a lot and his injury seems bad so the Blues likely don't go for him. Do you have any trade proposals?

Yeah, it seems unlikely considering it basically would be Drury showing he made a mistake... it'd benefit them like crazy but I think the combo of that and probably the potential weight of the package just might be too much. Sucks but that's the hole he dug.
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
      Quoting: AC14
      I think any realistic situation involves a good prospect, a decently young roster replacement (Zetterlund ->Sharks), a great prospect and a 1st + 2nd (possibly conditional to turn into a 1st).

I’m pretty convinced for Buch at 50% the return would at bare minimum be in the realm of the Meier trade. I don’t see why he would be moved for less especially this season when a more Horvat return is something that’s conceivable at the tdl. The overall pieces between the two aren’t that far off.

Ohkutiok + Zetterlund + Mukmahdullin + late 1st + cond 2nd
      Vs
      Mid tier 1st + Raty + Beauvillier

Hypothetically just spitballing.

Kakko + Schneider + Othmann + 1st + 25 cond 2nd. For Buch at 50%.

Not really sure how much that accomplishes for us versus just keeping Buch. We’re bound to be stuck right on the cusp for a while id imagine. Our defense isn’t great but is too good to flatline. Same with our forwards. And our goalies have been stealing points left and right. Extending Buch realistically is probably our best route, unless someone is willing to chuck a true top end d prospect our way

Ok I was way off lmao. Understandable though.
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
      I think the blues could probably find a better offer than the first. I'm not sure that Raty and Myers equal a first. I think the latter two trades i think are fair in value, but I could see why Canucks fans are against it. It's never easy to give up a prospect, but sometimes that the price for pushing yourself into playoff contention. Buch is also a lot more return than your typical rental too. Would give Vancouver 2+ very real shots at the Finals.
      Mediumyeet liked this.
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
      Ok I was way off lmao. Understandable though.

Yeah formatting of the op is kind of tough to gauge. I couldn’t tell if the first one was in both the 2nd and 3rd option or what. If they’re all separate they’re all very bad for the Blues.
      Dec. 1, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
      mokumboi
      Dude... not only are the first two trades utter crap for the Blues, but they cannot fit either under the cap. This is super basic stuff. Meanwhile, both teams say no to the 3rd one.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll