Ideal deadline

Created by: CHUG
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 19, 2023
Published: Dec. 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
OVERVIEW:
If Puustinen can hold down the 2RW spot and we get Rust back healthy, that means our wing depth just got a lot better. If we could move Eller back to the 4th line and find a 3rd line center who can bring some scoring, that would make this team so much better. Rakell and Novak would be a very talented 3rd line duo and these moves would give us 2 very good looking powerplay units. Rust and Smith could do more penalty killing as they are getting less PP time and I'm a big fan of having some scoring threats on the PK to at least give the other team something to think about. May also want to look into adding to the 3rd pairing, but there are enough internal options the Pens have that you hope someone grabs the spot(s) and runs with it. Have to just hope Graves figures it out and starts playing a little more physical.

LINES:
1st Line: Not much of an explanation needed. Have been great this year

2nd Line: If Puustinen can sustain the production and continue to help the PP, this line has looked at least better since he got back and he's helped Smith out of his funk a little bit. Would be nice to get a young player contributing consistently.

3rd Line: Having Novak and Rakell on our 3rd line makes this team look way deeper than it did before any moves were made. As much as I like Eller, he's better suited for a 4C role, and Zahorna has played well, but hasn't been able to sustain it. O'Connor is a big question mark on this team for me. Could be a good player, just can't quite put it all together. Maybe a little skill and speed with him will help him blossom.

4th Line: Eller as your 4C means your center depth is excellent. He's very responsible, kills penalties and will chip in offensively sounds like the description of a perfect 4th line center to me. Putting Acciari on the wing will give him the freedom to be more of the energetic wrecking ball he was brought in to be. I traded for Maroon because one thing this team lacks is nastiness. He and Nieto are interchangeable depending on what you need, but if you're in a playoff series and want to frustrate a goalie or piss off a teams #1D-man, Maroon is a great guy to do it, cause there isn't really anyone else here who would. Can also do PP net front if that becomes an issue again.

DEFENSE:
1st Pair: Don't like Karlsson-Graves pair, so I put him back with Letang as he's at least worked better there. Letang has been awesome this year and can prop Graves up until hopefully he finds some consistency.

2nd Pair: These two have done well together all year. If Karlsson had the PP running hotter from the beginning of the year, than it would be much easier to appreciate how well this pair has played at 5 on 5 all year.

3rd Pair: Not really sure who deserves this spot yet. Like the physicality Ludvig brings, but there's definitely some issues with puck movement. Hoping the injury was holding Ruwhedel back and he comes back and plays like usual. Would love it if POJ finally started living up to the potential a bit more, but hasn't yet, so it may end up being Ludvig.

GOALIES: have been very happy with what we've got from both guys for most of the year. Keep chugging.

SCRATCHES: Carter has played well, just don't think he's a good enough player to be in the lineup on a hopeful contender. Hoping Poulin gets a shot now that he's healthy if there's an injury on the big club.

TRADES:
Maroon for 7th Rounder: Simple trade, Maroon is a UFA, 35 and can only be traded to half the league. Not much leverage for the Wild

Novak for Smith, Nylander, 1st rounder: Novak's cheap contract and age make him pretty valuable and if he signs an extension, it adds to his value more. Smith and Nylander are still young, but need some opportunity to see if they can go be more than what they've shown. A 1st+ seems like a reasonable price for him as a pending UFA.
Trades
MIN
  1. 2024 7th round pick (PIT)
NSH
  1. Nylander, Alexander
  2. Smith, Ty
  3. 2025 1st round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$81,804,342$0$0$1,695,658

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$800,000$800,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 19, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Giving away another first for Novak? Absolutely not.
JuanDamienNebraska liked this.
Dec. 19, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
While I like Novak, I really don’t think spending a 1st for a rental would be the right move. If we were firmly in a Metro playoff spot, maaaybe I could be convinced that we should, but right now it’s just not worth it.

If we could manage to acquire an upgrade with some team control or term then I could maybe see it, but, when healthy, I really think we’re good up front now that Puustinen is emerging. We need to keep the firsts that we have.

Also, Maroon will be definitely be dealt for more than a 7th lol.
edeangel84 liked this.
Dec. 19, 2023 at 4:03 p.m.
Osiecki death stare
Minnesota isn’t trading Maroon for a 7th.
Dec. 20, 2023 at 10:19 a.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: edeangel84
Giving away another first for Novak? Absolutely not.

Quoting: JuanDamienNebraska
While I like Novak, I really don’t think spending a 1st for a rental would be the right move. If we were firmly in a Metro playoff spot, maaaybe I could be convinced that we should, but right now it’s just not worth it.

If we could manage to acquire an upgrade with some team control or term then I could maybe see it, but, when healthy, I really think we’re good up front now that Puustinen is emerging. We need to keep the firsts that we have.

Also, Maroon will be definitely be dealt for more than a 7th lol.

I'd like to see some defensive metrics for Novak to convince me he's going to be a 3C fit for how the pens would deploy him... he's a career 44% on face-offs... and he would get a ton of d-zone draws and tough assignments and PK time... if you're a 3C on PIT that's just simply the job assignment....so you would have to put an eller/acciari/Carter on the same line as him to take the draws... Dubas has always made sure his teams were good in the dot bc he believes in a large possession game which starts with getting the puck off the draw...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll