Forums/Armchair-GM

Kevin Hayes

Created by: SankFeravalli
Team: 2023-24 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 30, 2023
Published: Dec. 30, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As suggested by Frank Seravalli on the most recent DFO rundown podcast. Kevin Hayes is a player the Avs have been known to have interest in since he was a college free agent. They tried to sign him then, and were rumored to be in trade talks with the Rangers and Flyers when Hayes was dealt from those two teams.

This would be a less expensive, but also less certain, attempt at filling Colorado’s 2C spot vs trading for a player like Elias Lindholm. Even if Hayes doesn’t fit the 2C spot, having him for two more seasons under $2M per year would be a good value.

It would be unusual for a team to trade a player less than half-a-season after acquiring him, as the Blues would do here. But turning a 6th round pick into a 1st round pick for the less than $2M in salary retention for the next couple years has to be appealing for St. Louis.

The Avalanche could theoretically keep Johansen and still have space for Lehkonen to come off LTIR. But I would guess Johansen is the first to be moved if/when they need cap relief elsewhere.
Trades
COL
  1. Hayes, Kevin ($1,785,714 retained)
STL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$78,310,715$637,500$0$5,189,285
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$12,600,000$12,600,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,785,715$1,785,715
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$825,000$825,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$987,500$987,500
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 30, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
A 5pt increase in production isn’t worth a 1st rd pick, and I don’t get the obsession of wanting to move Colton out of the 3C spot him and Wood have been great together and Pairing RyJo with Wood and LOC two guys who fly wouldn’t be good.
MeetYourMakar and TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 12:24 p.m.
Did Hayes even play last night? Didn't notice him at all. Hayes is not a fit for the current Avs and Frank is a lazy reporter, even worse for western teams. Sure the Avs used to have interest in Hayes but those days are gone.
TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
Sam
Hayes is probably the blues 4th best forward but I would do this in a heartbeat.
TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
If a 1st is on the table for Hayes I don’t see why the Blues wouldn’t move him although we lack some center depth.
TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
and proud of it
Quoting: MeetYourMakar
Did Hayes even play last night? Didn't notice him at all. Hayes is not a fit for the current Avs and Frank is a lazy reporter, even worse for western teams. Sure the Avs used to have interest in Hayes but those days are gone.

Yeah he did but he sucks now
MeetYourMakar and TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
and proud of it
We're not giving a first for that guy
MeetYourMakar, Xqb15a and TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: Xqb15a
A 5pt increase in production isn’t worth a 1st rd pick, and I don’t get the obsession of wanting to move Colton out of the 3C spot him and Wood have been great together and Pairing RyJo with Wood and LOC two guys who fly wouldn’t be good.

Not necessary advocating to move Colton out of 3C long-term. I like him there too. At the same time, I’m not sure who else you’d move up the lineup with Lehkonen out…

A large part of the value of this deal comes from the remaining contract. He’s on pace for 21 goals & 45 points, at a cap hit under $2M for this year and the next two (until his age 33 season). You’re paying in large part for the retention/contract value.

I would also point to Hayes’s even-strength production compared to Johansen’s:
Hayes: 9G 6A 15P (100% goals & 79% points at ES)
Johansen: 7G 2A 9P (64% goals & points at ES)
Not to mention Johansen’s first 4 goals & 5 points came in Colorado’s first six games, and all but one goal was on the power play. You have to have success at even strength to win in the playoffs. I’m not necessarily advocating that Hayes would be the perfect fit. But the difference between he and Johansen is more than the 5 points you see on the surface.

Kevin Hayes last night in a 2-1 game: 15:30 TOI, 2 shots on goal (5 attempts), 1 takeaway, 5 of 9 in the faceoff circle. Not spectacular, but not invisible either.

Obviously Frank is a Philly guy so he’s going to have more ins with east coast teams, but I think most would agree that he’s one of the four or five most connected national insiders. Also don’t think Colorado’s interest in a player that’s spanned his entire ten-year career, and was as recent as this summer, would wain in a matter of two months. Calling a writer “lazy” when you don’t like what they report is a “lazy” take.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
Quoting: Mergus80
Not necessary advocating to move Colton out of 3C long-term. I like him there too. At the same time, I’m not sure who else you’d move up the lineup with Lehkonen out…

A large part of the value of this deal comes from the remaining contract. He’s on pace for 21 goals & 45 points, at a cap hit under $2M for this year and the next two (until his age 33 season). You’re paying in large part for the retention/contract value.

I would also point to Hayes’s even-strength production compared to Johansen’s:
Hayes: 9G 6A 15P (100% goals & 79% points at ES)
Johansen: 7G 2A 9P (64% goals & points at ES)
Not to mention Johansen’s first 4 goals & 5 points came in Colorado’s first six games, and all but one goal was on the power play. You have to have success at even strength to win in the playoffs. I’m not necessarily advocating that Hayes would be the perfect fit. But the difference between he and Johansen is more than the 5 points you see on the surface.

Kevin Hayes last night in a 2-1 game: 15:30 TOI, 2 shots on goal (5 attempts), 1 takeaway, 5 of 9 in the faceoff circle. Not spectacular, but not invisible either.

Obviously Frank is a Philly guy so he’s going to have more ins with east coast teams, but I think most would agree that he’s one of the four or five most connected national insiders. Also don’t think Colorado’s interest in a player that’s spanned his entire ten-year career, and was as recent as this summer, would wain in a matter of two months. Calling a writer “lazy” when you don’t like what they report is a “lazy” take.

Never said I didn't like what he has to offer but, Frank is a lazy reporter. He gets my views but he is a very lazy, reports off of his gut feeling, and is quick to get something out without really contemplating how a fit would work. The wain from Hayes isnt a few month fall off, its years and 2 or 3 moves for Hayes. Please provide me some well thought out connection for Hayes and the Avs from this summer(as you allege). It was mainly just Frank or CF users. It was a previous head office who originally wanted him.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.
Never said I didn't like what he has to offer but, Frank is a lazy reporter. He gets my views but he is a very lazy, reports off of his gut feeling, and is quick to get something out without really contemplating how a fit would work. The wain from Hayes isnt a few month fall off, its s=46&t=GrlueuAxym0FikcD9x4Q_w
Never said I didn't like what he has to offer but, Frank is a lazy reporter. He gets my views but he is a very lazy, reports off of his gut feeling, and is quick to get something out without really contemplating how a fit would work. The wain from Hayes isnt a few month fall off, its years and 2 or 3 moves for Hayes. Please provide me some well thought out connection for Hayes and the Avs from this summer(as you allege). It was mainly just Frank or CF users. It was a previous head office who originally wanted him.

Avs reported interested at TDL 2023: https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2586466

Haefele alluding to their interest in Hayes this summer: https://x.com/returnofaj/status/1738325425896484983?s=46&t=GrlueuAxym0FikcD9x4Q_w

The current “head office” is the same head office bud. Sakic & MacFarland have been building the Avalanche together since 2015. Promotions didn’t change philosophy.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
Avs reported interested at TDL 2023: https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2586466

Haefele alluding to their interest in Hayes this summer: https://x.com/returnofaj/status/1738325425896484983?s=46&t=GrlueuAxym0FikcD9x4Q_w

The current “head office” is the same head office bud. Sakic & MacFarland have been building the Avalanche together since 2015. Promotions didn’t change philosophy.

Philosophy and control of decisions is what cause a change in management, bud. Again, please present something well thought out, not just a hmm wonder if. I like how the source of the score article is Frank.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Philosophy and control of decisions is what cause a change in management, bud. Again, please present something well thought out, not just a hmm wonder if. I like how the source of the score article is Frank.

1. MacFarland was at the Blue the Star game on Wednesday, Dec. 27th (according to your best pal Frank)
2. Stars aren’t in a position to sell, so he’s probably looking at the Blue.
3. Colorado is known to be in the market for a 2nd line center as Ryan Johansen isn’t working.
4. St. Louis probably isn’t trading Robert Thomas who’s in year five be of an eight year extension, or Brayden Schenn who was named captain over the summer.
5. Colorado has previous ties to Kevin Hayes, the only other center in St. Louis’s top nine.

Let me know if you need a picture book instead.

Again - I’m not advocating that this would be a good trade for the avalanche. Simply laying out what was reported by a credible writer.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 5:08 p.m.
1. MacFarland was at the Blue the Star game on Wednesday, Dec. 27th (according to your best pal Frank)
2. Stars aren’t in a position to sell, so he’s probably looking at the Blue.
3. Colorado is known to be in the market for a 2nd line center as Ryan Johansen isn’t working.
4. St. Louis probably isn’t trading Robert Thomas who’s in year five be of an eight year extension, or Brayden Schenn who was named captain over the summer.
5. Colorado has previous ties to Kevin Hayes, the only other center in St. Louis’s top nine.

Let me know if you need a picture book instead.

Again - I’m not advocating that this would be a good trade for the avalanche. Simply laying out what was reported by a credible writer.

You're so angry, its funny. I would have guessed he's your best pal for the way you're offended by my opinion of his work. It's cool to fanboy..
1. GM's scout other teams often, he could just like hockey, or he could be checking in on two teams in his division. The Avs and Stars have made recent trades.
2. GM's make moves to improve their team, not every move is a selling.
3. 2nd line center isn't the only position they're looking to improve. Neither team has a 2c available.
4. Avs couldn't afford one or justify the other.
5. Previous, sure. Never argued that.

I wonder if the blues would be willing to use a retention slot for 3 years when the documented cost is a 6th.

A picture book would offer more in-depth writing than Frank. I appreciate the offer
TJTwolf and AC14 liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 8:43 p.m.
You're so angry, its funny. I would have guessed he's your best pal for the way you're offended by my opinion of his work. It's cool to fanboy..
1. GM's scout other teams often, he could just like hockey, or he could be checking in on two teams in his division. The Avs and Stars have made recent trades.
3. 2nd line center isn't the only position they're looking to improve. Neither team has a 2c available.

I wonder if the blues would be willing to use a retention slot for 3 years when the documented cost is a 6th.

A picture book would offer more in-depth writing than Frank. I appreciate the offer

Not angry. Just think it’s pretty silly when the literal armchair GMs pretend to know more than those who are paid to share their inside knowledge with us fans. I’ll remind you a third time that I’m not advocating one way or the other - simply laying out what was reported.

Have a good night kid.
Dec. 31, 2023 at 8:21 a.m.

Hayes hasn’t been bad here. Don’t see any reasoning for locking up a retention slot to essentially dump him.

Most likely it’s a central team scouting two central teams not for the purpose of transactions.
MeetYourMakar liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll