Published: Jan. 2, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Accurate/Prorated
LTIR Enabled: No
Season Days: 192
Days Remaining: 107
Season Remaining: 56%
Projected Cap Hit Prior To Days Remaining Tooltip : $82,605,659
Description
The goal here is to try and present some possibilities for the Devils that emphasize a desire to actually start winning right now. It primarily focuses on salvaging this season and contending in the next. We cannot keep kicking the can down the road, and that is what we are doing by sticking with the status quo. Now is the time to contend, or at least to start playing meaningful games down the stretch. It will absolutely cost us, but nothing that will handicap us long term.

This iteration focuses on:
1) improving the goaltending position (the most obvious need). Here you get the reigning vezina winner, should be enough said right there. The difference should immediately put us right back into contention. You give up a lot (for a relatively short term deal), but we aren't re-building anymore, we need to start pushing the chips in and trying to win every season. This gives us two great shots at that (we are a team that is basically a goalie away from greatness). In the meantime it buys us time to evaluate Daws/Schmid, see what comes available, and perhaps even extend Ullmark)

2) Strengthen the defense (the second most important need) by adding a solid, physical, veteran defenseman. This should go a long way in terms of making up for an otherwise talented, but very green defensive corps. Again, we get this season + the next. Probably perfect in terms of making us competitive, but not tying us down in the future.

Finally, we compensate for the loss of Holtz by adding a fan favorite in Henrique, further emphasizing our commitment to winning now. For immediate term, it's a step up. That is a deadly top 9 by any estimation.

*** Note: The perspective here is largely about explicating the most I would be willing to give in each transaction. Obviously, the GM should try to get more for less, but if those negotiations fall through, and it's a matter of pulling off the trade as described vs nothing at all, then this is the furthest I'd go to pull the trade off. In other words, in a hypothetical world where the option is only to stand pat vs pull the trigger on the trade as listed, I'd go for the latter. Spare me the imaginary trades where we lose nothing and gain everything (Bastian + 5th for Saros, etc)
Trades
BOS
  1. Holtz, Alexander
  2. Vanecek, Vitek ($1,700,000 retained)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
Boston: You get Holtz - an 8th overall in a recent draft - who has already been productive this year and is on an ELC for this year and the next, where worst case scenario he is on par for 20-25 goals and 40-50 points, not to mention what happens if he hits his potential, which could easily be a first line sniper (a ceiling he could certainly reach)

Meanwhile you get a goalie in return who put in a great performance last year and is still fairly young. He has obviously struggled in a starter role this year (behind an abysmal defense), but even if this is who he is, it's still a very respectable backup goalie, which is all you need. and of course he is coming in at under 2 mil.

You also get about 2 million in cap space, which Boston needs if it wants to sign UFA's next year.

And of course, on top of that you get a 3rd which is yet another asset.

It's a lot to give up for a year and a half of an admittedly elite goalie. I think it's fair.
OTT
  1. Siegenthaler, Jonas
  2. 2024 1st round pick (NJD)
  3. 2024 5th round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
A first round pick is a first round pick, for a player who is essentially a rental + 1 season.

Plus a veteran defenseman who has put up some great defensive numbers as recently as last year. Again, granted he has not performed as well this year (none of our defensive defenseman have, so take that for what it's worth). These are useful players to have around in order to facilitate the development on younger players.

The 5th is just a throw in. We can negotiate terms at the margins, but overall I think it's decent.
ANA
  1. Vilén, Topias
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (NJD)
  3. 2025 4th round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
A decent prospect and some picks for an older player who can produce but most likely will not generate much more interest. We can
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$79,658,844$422,500$4,690,000$3,841,156
Prorated Cap Hit

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$7,875,000$4,388,672
RW, LW
UFA - 8
$8,000,000$4,458,333
C
UFA - 7
$2,125,000$1,184,245
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$8,800,000$4,904,167
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,250,000$4,040,365
C
UFA - 4
$894,167$498,312 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,456,250$811,556
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$780,208
C
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$3,343,750
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,100,000$613,021
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$1,755,469
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,350,000$752,344
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$557,292
RW, C
UFA - 2
$775,000$431,901
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$515,495 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$4,400,000$2,452,083
RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$5,000,000$2,786,458
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,600,000$2,563,542
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$918,333$511,779 (Performance Bonus$3,250,000$3M)
RD
RFA - 3
$850,833$474,162 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
G
RFA - 1
$1,050,000$585,156
LD
RFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,030,990
RD
UFA - 1
$850,833$474,162 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
G
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$557,292
LW, C
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$5,015,625
RD
NMC
UFA - 5

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 2 at 11:00 p.m.
TerreriStepper
Quoting: dgibb10
I’d move Holtz up in the lineup.

Put toffoli on the block and sell him if the right opportunity presents itself. I’d sell for a 1st and 3rd if it comes. Nico Jack Mikey Haula Palat Holtz Mercer Meier Bratt is a more than good enough top 9. If not move haula to line 4 for now.

Target a 2LD. Ferraro, Pettersson, Hanafin whoever (Pettersson is the main target). Need to be better on the kill than Bahl and be able to shut it down with Marino. This makes us a much more sound defensive squad which makes the goalies life easier.

1 more piece of depth as a want, not a need. Haven’t been the happiest with Bastian but whatever

In terms of goalie there’s a number of options.

I’d offer a 1st+2nd+Vanacek for Ullmark now. Not holtz and no retention.

Or I’d go after Filip Gustafsson with a bigger offer than for Ullmark.

Or jarry, Gibson retained, Markstrom retained, etc etc.

If legit starting goalies are not available at reasonable rates I move down.

Use the dougie LTIR space on a guy like Mrazek. Go after a Stolarz or a Nedjelkovic or a vejmelka.

I'm just focusing on your goalie proposals here. If those actually move the needle for teams, and they go for it, great. Of course, bargain them down as much as you can. We certainly got Meier for less than what Sharks fans on here were projecting.

But overall I think you need to flesh out these ideas. A LOT. The way you describe it, this is some minor need, where we can bring in a guy like Ullmark for practically nothing and all is well. Goaltending is our #1 Achilles heal, it is a MAJOR issue, you'd have to be blind not to see that. You are claiming we can just throw some pennies on the sidewalk and pick up a decent goalie? Well I hope Edmonton and Carolina don't hear about this!

In truth, we desperately need a goalie in a market where there are many bidders and very few sellers. Again, clarify your points - How much are we giving up to get Gibson "retained"? How much retained? And will he really be enough of an improvement? How much for Stolarz? We are burning seasons here, with no clear solution in sight, and you seem very happy to mock everyone else's honest attempt at a solution.

Please, flesh out some actual solutions, what we are giving up, what we are getting, why the other team would accept that deal, what our fallback options are... And run your solutions through other teams fans to see if they would actually accept it - that's what this site is for! Anyone can say "well I'll give you Toffoli and a third for Sorokin", the challenge is crafting a real proposal that provides both teams with what they need. This is a critical issue for the Devils, it isn't something you can just handwave out of existence by naming a bunch of run-through goalies that we will apparently obtain for Christmas leftovers and picks.
Celtics21 liked this.
Jan. 2 at 11:04 p.m.
Quoting: TerreriStepper
lol you are persistent. OK, fair enough, then what move would you make? Can't just keep running out what we've been doing. Pray for Daws to be the savior?

I do think the Gustavsson deal he’s been presenting is probably in the ball park.
TerreriStepper liked this.
Jan. 2 at 11:05 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I'm just focusing on your goalie proposals here. If those actually move the needle for teams, and they go for it, great. Of course, bargain them down as much as you can. We certainly got Meier for less than what Sharks fans on here were projecting.

But overall I think you need to flesh out these ideas. A LOT. The way you describe it, this is some minor need, where we can bring in a guy like Ullmark for practically nothing and all is well. Goaltending is our #1 Achilles heal, it is a MAJOR issue, you'd have to be blind not to see that. You are claiming we can just throw some pennies on the sidewalk and pick up a decent goalie? Well I hope Edmonton and Carolina don't hear about this!

In truth, we desperately need a goalie in a market where there are many bidders and very few sellers. Again, clarify your points - How much are we giving up to get Gibson "retained"? How much retained? And will he really be enough of an improvement? How much for Stolarz? We are burning seasons here, with no clear solution in sight, and you seem very happy to mock everyone else's honest attempt at a solution.

Please, flesh out some actual solutions, what we are giving up, what we are getting, why the other team would accept that deal, what our fallback options are... And run your solutions through other teams fans to see if they would actually accept it - that's what this site is for! Anyone can say "well I'll give you Toffoli and a third for Sorokin", the challenge is crafting a real proposal that provides both teams with what they need. This is a critical issue for the Devils, it isn't something you can just handwave out of existence by naming a bunch of run-through goalies that we will apparently obtain for Christmas leftovers and picks.

I’d offer a 1st+2nd+vanacek for gibson at 4 million dollars

Stolarz is at +4 GSAx this year
Vanacek is at -14

That’s an 18 goal difference. Imagine where we’d be with half a goal per game better goaltending. And he’s dirt cheap when they bring up knight and have to protect him from waivers.

Even if he plays net 0 goaltending that’s still a large upgrade.

Vanacek has been horrific I am not saying we don’t need a goalie. I’m saying there’s enough options out there that we don’t need to overpay for one.

Holtz is a part of the long term future. This is a long term plan.

I’d sell Toffoli 50% retained for 1st and a 3rd. It falls in line with comps everywhere. If he can’t get that I’d keep him.
Jan. 2 at 11:07 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Celtics21
I do think the Gustavsson deal he’s been presenting is probably in the ball park.

I’d like Ullmark more for a Carolina type or Edmonton but I think Edmonton is on the NTC. They’re a shorter window team imo. 2 years works perfectly for them. I’d like a guy I can have for more in NJD, even if he’s more expensive or slightly worse. More kicks at the can with our Jack Hughes core.
Jan. 2 at 11:10 p.m.
I’d like Ullmark more for a Carolina type or Edmonton but I think Edmonton is on the NTC. They’re a shorter window team imo. 2 years works perfectly for them. I’d like a guy I can have for more in NJD, even if he’s more expensive or slightly worse. More kicks at the can with our Jack Hughes core.

If a team offers a healthy extension on his NMC, I’d expect Ullmark to consider it. Ullmark has been considerably better than Gus on normalized metrics, but I like Gus’s age if you are willing to sign him up to a long term contract.

I don’t see why Florida trades Stolarz.
Jan. 2 at 11:12 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

I have crafted all of these:

Stolarz: knight is coming up at some point, he’s there future and he’s toiling away in the AHL
on that note
I’d offer picks for Knight: he could be our future number 1. Right now he’s wasting away, if Florida doesn’t believe in him I’d offer a 1st+3rd for knight and it would give them cap space and ammunition for this year.

Gibson: 2 mill retained for 1st 2nd vanacek. With Gibsons age the last 2 years of the deal may not be pretty. And that’s when they’ll be trying to compete again in Anaheim. Getting assets now and getting out of a contract that could be an albatross when they compete again is a win

Jarry: if they sell big it’s a complete reset and they wouldn’t have to retain. Get assets for a guy who was just a UFA

Sorokin: this is a big one but personally I don’t believe in the islanders core. If they decide they can’t win a cup with this core it’s probably best to move on from Sorokin before his NMC kicks in and basically locks them into a sorokin deal that will keep them from being able to properly tank and get good picks until he eventually becomes washed and is an albatross deal at 35,36,37

Nedjelkovic: minor sell, still have Jarry and get assets back for a guy they got for free
Jan. 2 at 11:13 p.m.
TerreriStepper
I’d offer a 1st+2nd+vanacek for gibson at 4 million dollars

Stolarz is at +4 GSAx this year
Vanacek is at -14

That’s an 18 goal difference. Imagine where we’d be with half a goal per game better goaltending. And he’s dirt cheap when they bring up knight and have to protect him from waivers.

Even if he plays net 0 goaltending that’s still a large upgrade.

Vanacek has been horrific I am not saying we don’t need a goalie. I’m saying there’s enough options out there that we don’t need to overpay for one.

Holtz is a part of the long term future. This is a long term plan.

I’d sell Toffoli 50% retained for 1st and a 3rd. It falls in line with comps everywhere. If he can’t get that I’d keep him.

OK Fair enough, those are good points. If we can get that, I'm game. I would *HATE* to lose Holtz, he is a gem of a player and the last thing you want to give up. But we are at the point where we need a proven solution in net.

Personally I still would not want Gibson at 4. They'd need to retain the full half. And that is still a HUGE overpayment. The problem with Gibson is that he may very well end up just as bad as what we have, only now we've given up all of our trade chips - then what?

The Stolarz stats are much more intriguing. What are we giving up for him, in your opinion?
dgibb10 liked this.
Jan. 2 at 11:14 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
If a team offers a healthy extension on his NMC, I’d expect Ullmark to consider it. Ullmark has been considerably better than Gus on normalized metrics, but I like Gus’s age if you are willing to sign him up to a long term contract.

Spencer Knight is why Florida could trade Stolarz. Imo he’s gotta come back to the show at some point instead of wasting away in the AHL. And then it’s either run 3 goalies, trade Stolarz or waive him for nothing.
Jan. 2 at 11:17 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
OK Fair enough, those are good points. If we can get that, I'm game. I would *HATE* to lose Holtz, he is a gem of a player and the last thing you want to give up. But we are at the point where we need a proven solution in net.

Personally I still would not want Gibson at 4. They'd need to retain the full half. And that is still a HUGE overpayment. The problem with Gibson is that he may very well end up just as bad as what we have, only now we've given up all of our trade chips - then what?

The Stolarz stats are much more intriguing. What are we giving up for him, in your opinion?

Believe me I’m not the biggest fan of Gibson either. I consider that an overpay to dump vitek.

But if I value him at 5.5 mill AAV (personally I’m closer to 5), at 4 mill that’s 6 mill in surplus value. 1st+2nd for him and dumping vanacek is something I’d have to pay.

Gustafsson is always my number 1 legit starter target.

1st+2nd+Vanacek+tier 2 prospect

This year they can run him and fleury, hope he bounces back but realistically they can’t win much with 15 mill in buyouts.

Then Wallstedt and vanacek next year while Vanacek eats starts and they still have the buyouts

Then Vanacek expires, the buyouts finish (at least the 15 mill part) and they have a fully fledged Wallstedt ready to take the reigns
Jan. 2 at 11:18 p.m.
TerreriStepper
I have crafted all of these:

Stolarz: knight is coming up at some point, he’s there future and he’s toiling away in the AHL
on that note
I’d offer picks for Knight: he could be our future number 1. Right now he’s wasting away, if Florida doesn’t believe in him I’d offer a 1st+3rd for knight and it would give them cap space and ammunition for this year.

Gibson: 2 mill retained for 1st 2nd vanacek. With Gibsons age the last 2 years of the deal may not be pretty. And that’s when they’ll be trying to compete again in Anaheim. Getting assets now and getting out of a contract that could be an albatross when they compete again is a win

Jarry: if they sell big it’s a complete reset and they wouldn’t have to retain. Get assets for a guy who was just a UFA

Sorokin: this is a big one but personally I don’t believe in the islanders core. If they decide they can’t win a cup with this core it’s probably best to move on from Sorokin before his NMC kicks in and basically locks them into a sorokin deal that will keep them from being able to properly tank and get good picks until he eventually becomes washed and is an albatross deal at 35,36,37

Nedjelkovic: minor sell, still have Jarry and get assets back for a guy they got for free

Well I posted my previous response before seeing this. My points about Gibson remain. Some of your other proposals, I think the other teams balk, they will find other buyers willing to give up more.

I do agree that guys like Knight are prime targets, but what is your trade proposal for him? It's going to cost a lot I'd imagine. They don't need to trade him.

One team you didn't mention is Nashville. I think between Saros and Askarov, something's got to give. They are good enough to be competing for the playoffs but obviously have needs. Interestingly, they seem to be keen on retaining Saros (wouldn't be my move if I were them, but whatever), so perhaps a move for Askarov could be in the books? We have the pieces ....
dgibb10 liked this.
Jan. 2 at 11:19 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

I also might just be off on my evaluation but I’ve watched a lot of both goalies over the past couple years(watched a lot of goalie play lately for obvious reasons) and I just feel like I’d rather have Gus.
Jan. 2 at 11:20 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Well I posted my previous response before seeing this. My points about Gibson remain. Some of your other proposals, I think the other teams balk, they will find other buyers willing to give up more.

I do agree that guys like Knight are prime targets, but what is your trade proposal for him? It's going to cost a lot I'd imagine. They don't need to trade him.

One team you didn't mention is Nashville. I think between Saros and Askarov, something's got to give. They are good enough to be competing for the playoffs but obviously have needs. Interestingly, they seem to be keen on retaining Saros (wouldn't be my move if I were them, but whatever), so perhaps a move for Askarov could be in the books? We have the pieces ....

I’d be down to go after Askarov long term option alongside a Mrazek stopgap. But no idea if he’d hit the market. and prospect/younger goalies are way harder to gauge value on.

Knight is so difficult to judge.

He’s played in the past at a quality NHL level, still just 22, boatloads of potential.

But he’s also in the AHL right now on a win now team, is likely stuck behind Bob, and has a pretty hefty cap hit for a backup.

I’d offer a 1st+3rd. Maybe that’s way too high, maybe not enough, maybe just right. Just so many factors surrounding knight
Jan. 2 at 11:24 p.m.
TerreriStepper
I’d be down to go after Askarov long term option alongside a Mrazek stopgap. But no idea if he’d hit the market. and prospect/younger goalies are way harder to gauge value on.

Knight is so difficult to judge.

He’s played in the past at a quality NHL level, still just 22, boatloads of potential.

But he’s also in the AHL right now on a win now team, is likely stuck behind Bob, and has a pretty hefty cap hit for a backup.

I’d offer a 1st+3rd. Maybe that’s way too high, maybe not enough, maybe just right. Just so many factors surrounding knight

Yah it's tricky. So, just because it's hard for me track threads on this site, your main target would be Gustavsson? What are you thinking would be the cost?

(And apologies that I came off a bit nasty earlier, my bad)
Jan. 2 at 11:28 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Yah it's tricky. So, just because it's hard for me track threads on this site, your main target would be Gustavsson? What are you thinking would be the cost?

(And apologies that I came off a bit nasty earlier, my bad)

I’d offer 1st+2nd+Vanacek+Clarke if it came down to it. Hopefully less, maybe a tiny bit higher. But 3 years of relatively cheap play on a guy I like.

1st+3rd in value to get Gus
3rd+Clarke to dump Vanacek

(I’m valuing a 2nd=3rd+3rd in this to show the split of value)

Most of my offers for goalies will center around a 1st+dumping vanacek+ secondary pieces depending on the goalies age/cap/skill
Jan. 2 at 11:38 p.m.
TerreriStepper
I’d offer 1st+2nd+Vanacek+Clarke if it came down to it. Hopefully less, maybe a tiny bit higher. But 3 years of relatively cheap play on a guy I like.

1st+3rd in value to get Gus
3rd+Clarke to dump Vanacek

(I’m valuing a 2nd=3rd+3rd in this to show the split of value)

Most of my offers for goalies will center around a 1st+dumping vanacek+ secondary pieces depending on the goalies age/cap/skill

OK, well, I admit that is pretty sound. I'm on the Gustavsson train if you think it's possible at the price point you are quoting. How realistic do you think it is though? I guess your logic makes enough sense, with Wallstedt, and the overall shape of that team, you can make the case for it. Have you seen much success here from Wild fans?

I think it's something like that, or something like Askarov or Knight... But I think you may be undervaluing those players. A lot of those teams don't have to make a trade, and again, there are more teams than just the Devils that need a goalie, and that has to drive up the asking price. What I like about Ullmark is that it is a known quantity, and possibly something we could have now at the (admittedly high) price point. I agree with your logic I am just not sure how realistic it is. Like you, I would prefer to give up picks and dump VV's contract, and I also think we really only need league average goaltending so we don't necessarily need vezina caliber guys (many SC winners have got there on average goalies).

It's tricky. I can definitely appreciate your insights though. From your lips to Fitzy's ears, brother.
dgibb10 liked this.
Jan. 2 at 11:39 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
OK, well, I admit that is pretty sound. I'm on the Gustavsson train if you think it's possible at the price point you are quoting. How realistic do you think it is though? I guess your logic makes enough sense, with Wallstedt, and the overall shape of that team, you can make the case for it. Have you seen much success here from Wild fans?

I think it's something like that, or something like Askarov or Knight... But I think you may be undervaluing those players. A lot of those teams don't have to make a trade, and again, there are more teams than just the Devils that need a goalie, and that has to drive up the asking price. What I like about Ullmark is that it is a known quantity, and possibly something we could have now at the (admittedly high) price point. I agree with your logic I am just not sure how realistic it is. Like you, I would prefer to give up picks and dump VV's contract, and I also think we really only need league average goaltending so we don't necessarily need vezina caliber guys (many SC winners have got there on average goalies).

It's tricky. I can definitely appreciate your insights though. From your lips to Fitzy's ears, brother.

I can’t pretend to be an NHL insider with eyes and ears in the Minnesota front office. But I’d have to think they’d certainly consider it at the least.

I’d like to keep a guy like holtz fs. If I’m losing a top tier prospect I think I’d have to let Casey go before a guy currently helping the roster.
Jan. 2 at 11:46 p.m.
TerreriStepper
I can’t pretend to be an NHL insider with eyes and ears in the Minnesota front office. But I’d have to think they’d certainly consider it at the least.

I’d like to keep a guy like holtz fs. If I’m losing a top tier prospect I think I’d have to let Casey go before a guy currently helping the roster.

Here's another way to look at it: if the picks + VV dump didn't work, if the Panthers, Wild, and Preds all balked, what would your next offer be? Or what if the Oilers and Canes start a bidding war? Like, how high would you be willing to go to get a goalie, in lieu of just standing pat? I used to be way more conservative about this, but lately I'm more convinced that we need to do something, and fairly soon. I suppose it isn't the worst thing in the world to punt on this season in the hopes that Nico Daws can be a sort of stop gap guy, after all they will get a lot of maturation from L Hughes and Nemec so that alone will improve the team... But even that is pushing it, and I really do balk at the idea of this team missing the playoffs after last years historic run and the expectations that fans rightfully have after 10 years of building.

Like you said, I can't claim to have an idea what goes on in these GM's offices. But I hope we can expect something soon. I'd hate to see this current iteration of the team wasted on something like poor goaltending. It seems like a sin, and yet, we've seen it happen to others...
Jan. 2 at 11:50 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Here's another way to look at it: if the picks + VV dump didn't work, if the Panthers, Wild, and Preds all balked, what would your next offer be? Or what if the Oilers and Canes start a bidding war? Like, how high would you be willing to go to get a goalie, in lieu of just standing pat? I used to be way more conservative about this, but lately I'm more convinced that we need to do something, and fairly soon. I suppose it isn't the worst thing in the world to punt on this season in the hopes that Nico Daws can be a sort of stop gap guy, after all they will get a lot of maturation from L Hughes and Nemec so that alone will improve the team... But even that is pushing it, and I really do balk at the idea of this team missing the playoffs after last years historic run and the expectations that fans rightfully have after 10 years of building.

Like you said, I can't claim to have an idea what goes on in these GM's offices. But I hope we can expect something soon. I'd hate to see this current iteration of the team wasted on something like poor goaltending. It seems like a sin, and yet, we've seen it happen to others...

Personally I have like 15 guys I’d be open to. I’d see the market. If absolutely nobody can be had at a reasonable price that I initially offered, then I’d see what the prices are. Either take the most reasonable one or go through each guy from my top target down to my last improving each of my initial offer slightly. I’d still no then repeat with another increase.

If the goalie market turns out to be ridiculous like some claim, I’d reluctantly pay it.
Jan. 4 at 11:02 p.m.
Edited Jan. 10 at 3:11 p.m.
You know a trade is around fair value when it really makes u think about it

thats acc one of the better Ullmark to NJD trades ive seen:
Ullmarks only got the 1.5 years remaining on his deal
Holtz is a huge piece for BOS
taking retained Vanecek back to help make the cap work makes sense (although it makes Bostons goalie situation much worse)
3rd is a decent throw in

there are some concerns with that deal (as there always is), but its definitely not heavily favouring one side

Bruins have Pasta and (hopefully) Lysell to fill the top 2RW slots for the long run, so perhaps if Bruins look to trade a goalie, they target someone other than Holtz to help with the top 6

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll