Draft Class: 2023
Created By: Z0ra
Published: Jan. 11 at 9:22 a.m.
Description
An amazing twist on the 2024 Draft.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
Macklin Celebrini
Celebrini and Levshunov are a coin flip for first overall, the Hawks need LW more than RD, they go with the celebral forward in Celebrini. Would make a fantastic duo with Bedard in the future.
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Artyom Levshunov
The Ducks will simply take whoever Chicago passes on between Celebrini and Levshunov. Here they get a defender who can do everything with and without the puck and will form a formidable top pair with Mintyukov.
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
Cayden Lindstrom
The Blue Jackets may have a stacked prospect pool but two things they need is size and speed. Lindstrom has both of those qualities, he's a big, gritty power forward who plays with speed. Also has a smart defensive game as well, reminds me of prime Geno Malkin.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
Sam Dickinson
The Sharks have done well drafting high end forwards, its time to turn the tables and draft defenseman. They only have Mukhamadullin in terms of top 4 guys. Dickinson isn't enough to push them over the edge but he has the upside of a #1-2 defender in the NHL. Flashy defensively and has one of the best shots in the draft.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
Berkly Catton
Normally when the Canadiens scout prospects, they look for skill, character, and compete. I do have some players ahead, but Catton just feels like a Canadien. I see a lot of Brayden Point, solid play-driving center with speed and lots of poise.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Zeev Buium
Arizona reached on Simashev and But, here they go best defender available. That's Buium. Had an inspiring WJC and has showcased a strong two-way game despite being undersized for a defender. But smaller players have seemingly found success in the NHL, making me believe that his size won't be an issue.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
Igor Chernyshov
This is a bit of a reach, but Chernyshov plays a game that the Flyers look for in a prospect: hard-nosed and a solid three-zone presence. Has been inconsistent this season, but whenever the effort is there, Chernyshov is by far a top 10 player in the class. Get the potential out of this kid, Philly has themselves a formidable Russian duo of Michkov and Chernyshov.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Cole Eiserman
Washington could use everything in terms of prospects. They do have Leonard, Miro, and Lapierre, and thats about it in terms of top 6 guys. Eiserman feels like a Capital, pure goal-scorer with high-end skill. He just needs to improve his skating and commit to playing defensive hockey, other than those two gripes, the Capitals got themselves a scorer to replace Ovi someday.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
Michael Brandsegg Nygard
We all know that the Red Wings love the SHL talent, the trend continues here. Yes MBN is from Norway, but he plays in the SHL and the Red Wings could use some size and grit, this kid has both of those.
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
Anton Silayev
The Blues should go for a D here as they do have winger prospects, and centers they addressed last year in Dvorsky and Stenberg. In terms of top end guys, they only have Lindstein. PIcking Silayev here should be the move, he's a solid defensive defenseman that reminds me of Ryan Suter. Flashy defensively, plays with size and above average skating. The consistency on offense has toned down, but whenever the offense is there, Silayev plays like a top 5 pick.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
Matvei Shuravin
Shuravin goes higher than expected, but I have him at 13th on my board. Has the tools of a top 5 player in this draft, solid 3-zone defender with high end defensive skill. Offensively he's above average, just needs to work on his puck control. While Hughes and Willander make for a fantastic top pair, Shuravin can round out the top 4.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa Senators
Ivan Demidov
Drafting a Russian here actually makes sense. Demidov falls into the Coyotes lap, he's ranked 6th on my board. Could wind up being the steal of the draft as Demidov has top 3 talent. Best passer in the draft, this kid has a solid 200-ft game and insane offensive skill. Reminds me of Mitch Marner.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
Carter Yakemchuk
Sabres need defenseman, they go with the big bodied Yakemchuk. Though Yakemchuk is mainly an offensive defenseman, he is currently working on refining his defensive game, but its still a work in progress. But he plays with size and is aggressive against the puck carrier.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
Maxim Masse
Biggest reach of the draft. Masse just feels like a Penguin, he does the little things right, but has the making of a smart two-way forward. Had the pedigree of being a top 15 pick coming into the season and was jumped by players with stronger first halves of their respective seasons. And its not like Masse isn't bad, he's actually really good. Just needs to work on his skating but will eventually become a GM favorite for the Penguins.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-
Konsta Helenius
We go from the biggest reach in the draft to the biggest steal! Helenius falls into the Predators lap at 15th and could form a lethal line with Wood and Kemell given his insane play driving ability.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-
Tij Iginla
We all know Calgary fans want this guy. Will instantly become a fan favorite given he's Jarome's son. Calgary will know him well and select him. The Flames get sandpaper on their roster and a strong 3-zone player, Tij reminds me of Anze Kopitar in many ways.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York Islanders
Charlie Elick
Another big reach, but I could see this happening because of his size. This would also create a solid storyline, as Elick and Nate Danielson are playing together. Having said that, I believe the Red Wings will know Elick well and eventually take him. Elick is a DeMelo-type player, strong and gritty shutdown presence with questionable offensive upside. Give the opposition a hard time.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
Clarke Caswell
This may be a reach to some, and I get it, but Caswell had the pedigree of being a top 5 pick a year ago. He's still really good, production wise, the players ranked above him have been better. But Caswell feels like a Jet, a guy that can score a bunch and add skill. Reminds me of Cole Perfetti. Caswell in particular needs to improve his first step aceeleration but other than that, the Jets get themselves their future 2C that they are looking for.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
Emil Hemming
With their second pick, the Blackhawks address a key need: defensive minded forwards. Hemming is a solid defensive winger with such high motor. Not as dynamic offensively but can play in all ends.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
Zayne Parekh
Its really hard to see Parekh be drafted this low, but the defensive game alone gives me Dragicevic vibes. Similar scenario, pretty much everyone had Dragicevic pegged as a top 15 pick, but he fell to the end of the 2nd round. The same fate hits Parekh but to a lesser extent. The Kraken haven't drafted a defender in the first round yet, so this year would be the year they finally do it.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
Henry Mews
Mews just feels like a Wild in my eyes. Plays a game similar to Jared Spurgeon, smart 3-zone defender with minimal offensive upside.
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles Kings
Cole Hutson
This kid falls into the Flyers lap. I feel like Hutson is underrated, scouts look too much at his size. But what matters most is skating, and Hutson has that. Plus we all know what happened with brother Lane. Cole Hutson is the same player, except he will start out his DY two inches taller. A future top 4 of Drysdale, York, Bonk, and Hutson would be deadly in the future.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-
Nikita Artamonov
The pick is simple. The Rangers have a deep team, so they go BPA regardless of position. That's Artamonov. A small, but bulky skilled forward, similar of Fabian Zetterlund. Artamonov in particular has the potential of a top 15 pick, but he just needs to work on his skating.
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
Adam Jiricek
Without a doubt, the Predators should go with a RD with this pick, even with having Molendyk in the pipeline. Jiricek has struggled this season to a worse extent than his brother. His offensive effort isn't there, and Adam is going through injury troubles. But whenever the effort is there, Jiricek is a top 15 player in the class. Similar to his brother, Adam has great size, a booming shot, and skates well.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
EJ Emery
There are always two or three teams that reach on second round talent around this range. The Blues will be the first, Emery isn't on my draft board, but he would be an honorable mention. He's basically the same player as Charlie Elick, who is reached on.
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey Devils
Aron Kiviharju
I think the Sharks should double down on defenseman. Especially if Kiviharju is still sitting on the board. He once had the pedigree of being the best player in the draft, but injuries have taken a toll on his stock. He is still going through an injury, but whenever healthy, Kiviharju is a skilled offensive defenseman.
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
Terik Parascak
I believe with Colorado's two picks they go BPA. Right now BPA is Parascak.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston Bruins
Will Skahan
Toronto doesn't have many picks in the draft, they reach for the guy they have their eyes on. I think Skahan will be a great add for the Leafs, a mean, physical shutdown defender.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas Stars
Sacha Boisvert
I see this as a Dvorsky type player. Inconsistent offensively, but plays a strong defensive minded game. Skating also needs work.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
Tanner Howe
Simple to the point, Carolina goes BPA.
31Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Florida Panthers
Liam Greentree
Reminds me of Juraj Slafkovsky. Production has been great, Greentree is very poised offensively. But effort defensively needs improvement and he is slow. Like said before Colorado should go BPA with both their picks.
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
Luke Misa
The upside for Luke is much lower than brother Michael, but he has the making of a two-way size who is undersized. It doesn't really matter who Vegas drafts as they trade their top round pick within a year.
Jan. 11 at 12:21 p.m.
I am hoping the Blues can pick up mid-late first and teams let Levhunov fall a little bit.

That the Blues could pick something like:

6th Levshunov
18th Yakemchuk
38th Emery

It would be a good year to really address our lack of any RHD prospects.
Z0ra liked this.
Jan. 11 at 3:04 p.m.
ckilpatrick1
Quoting: BDHockey
I am hoping the Blues can pick up mid-late first and teams let Levhunov fall a little bit.

6th Levshunov
18th Yakemchuk
38th Emery

I love your optomism buddy but if the sharks dont have the #1 pick he will go there for sure + CHI will take him at 2/3
Z0ra and BDHockey liked this.
Jan. 11 at 3:09 p.m.
Quoting: ckilpatrick1
I love your optomism buddy but if the sharks dont have the #1 pick he will go there for sure + CHI will take him at 2/3

Thats fair. Its unlikely that he falls to 6, but it isn't impossible. The right combination of teams valuing other defenseman like Dickinson or taking a forward like Lindstrom could help.
The whole draft concept is very much just a hope.
Z0ra liked this.
Jan. 11 at 3:11 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: ckilpatrick1

6th Levshunov
18th Yakemchuk
38th Emery

Yes, love the optimism but there's zero chance Levshunov falls to 10th, even 6th. I could see Levshunov being drafted 1st ahead of Celebrini, if Levshunov did fall, the most he would fall to his 3rd. That is if a team like Chicago values Lindstrom's size, thats what most GMs seem to value over everything, which makes zero sense.
Jan. 12 at 10:35 a.m.

6th Levshunov
18th Yakemchuk
38th Emery

I’d like to diversify a little more. If we can land 6-8 I’d shoot for Eiserman if he falls that low. We need high end LW talent. Then if we acquire a mid first, we draft Parekh or Yamechuk. Then take a defensive guy to partner with the offensive RD and get someone like Will Skahan in the second round with the 38-40 pick.

Right now, Blues have probably 4 of the top 6 forwards in their mind. Thomas, Dvorsky, Kyrou, and Snuggerud. Bolduc, Stenberg, and Neighbours are fringe top 6 guys. If Blues get Eiserman and sign B. Tkachuk or Keller when Schenn is off the books your core becomes.

Keller/Tkachuk - Thomas - Snuggerud
Eiserman - Dvorsky - Kyrou

By then you hope Parekh/Yamechuk is a top 4 OD and Skahan is shutting people down. Then Perunovich/Lindstein/Buchinger make up the remaining 2 LD spots. You either have Parayko or Kessel in the 3 RD spot. Then you either suck and draft Hensler in 2025, draft another solid RD prospect in 2025 or acquire one in free agency/trade.
Jan. 12 at 10:58 a.m.
I was opting for Detroit to take Elick with their first round pick this year when they were up in the standings a bit more. Would love for them to acquire another first and draft him later in the round.
I would hope for Lindstrom or Catton over Nygaard, likely are gone before we draft.
Jan. 12 at 10:59 a.m.
Quoting: tstrauss16
I’d like to diversify a little more. If we can land 6-8 I’d shoot for Eiserman if he falls that low. We need high end LW talent. Then if we acquire a mid first, we draft Parekh or Yamechuk. Then take a defensive guy to partner with the offensive RD and get someone like Will Skahan in the second round with the 38-40 pick.

Right now, Blues have probably 4 of the top 6 forwards in their mind. Thomas, Dvorsky, Kyrou, and Snuggerud. Bolduc, Stenberg, and Neighbours are fringe top 6 guys. If Blues get Eiserman and sign B. Tkachuk or Keller when Schenn is off the books your core becomes.

Keller/Tkachuk - Thomas - Snuggerud
Eiserman - Dvorsky - Kyrou

By then you hope Parekh/Yamechuk is a top 4 OD and Skahan is shutting people down. Then Perunovich/Lindstein/Buchinger make up the remaining 2 LD spots. You either have Parayko or Kessel in the 3 RD spot. Then you either suck and draft Hensler in 2025, draft another solid RD prospect in 2025 or acquire one in free agency/trade.

I like your thought process for the most part, but Eiserman worries me. Has great potential, but also seems the most likely to be a bust.
tstrauss16 liked this.
Jan. 12 at 11:39 a.m.
I like your thought process for the most part, but Eiserman worries me. Has great potential, but also seems the most likely to be a bust.

Yeah that’s a good point. I really don’t like a lot of forwards in this draft besides maybe Lindstrom. He’d be a steal at 6-8 for sure if he’s still available
Jan. 12 at 11:59 a.m.
Quoting: tstrauss16
Yeah that’s a good point. I really don’t like a lot of forwards in this draft besides maybe Lindstrom. He’d be a steal at 6-8 for sure if he’s still available

Lindstrom is my favorite non-Celibrini forward. I really like Jiricek, but he shouldn't have been playing in a mens league and the injury is really unfortunate.
Jan. 12 at 1:55 p.m.
Lindstrom is my favorite non-Celibrini forward. I really like Jiricek, but he shouldn't have been playing in a mens league and the injury is really unfortunate.

Yeah the injury made it hard to predict where he’d fall. Might be a good thing if Blues end up acquiring a mid-late 1st round pick and draft him there.
Jan. 12 at 11:38 p.m.
If MTL passes on Eiserman or Demidov for Catton we riot.
Jan. 21 at 8:13 a.m.
Great Mock Draft! A few big drops but that does happen from time to time. Also, the order will likely be very different so the outcomes could change. If it went in this order I think you are close with a lot of your picks.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll