SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Jan. 19 at 11:55 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Juice
I'm in this boat....don't love the Willy contract but don't hate it...but yes...he's a common whipping boy if he goes a few games without lighting up the stat sheet.

Re-signing Bert...it would be interesting to know what he'd be looking at on a 3-4yr deal. If he goes off in the playoffs again demand will be up for him but maybe he's open to a reasonable number right now. Risk on both sides for sure

Rielly has been great this year...but we've seen how much better he can be when paired with a defensive d-man
McCable has been good....he's prone to turnovers when making cheeky outlets and sometimes pinches at inopportune times....but overall good
Lilly needs to keep on this projection....most nights he's just a solid presence
TJ has gone from one of our most reliable guys to someone you can't trust right now
Gio...I just think his body can't match up with his desire and IQ...still ok but another guy who has understandably taken a step back
Benoit...I love more and more...don't need him to have more minutes or responsibility but happy to send him out there every night

Yeah, he and Marner will be in the same boat from now on IMO, they both will have similar contracts so the standard for them is to play to that contract

Honestly, if the number is 4.5 for 3 years, I'd pull the trigger... Bert does so much that you don't see on paper, but you'll notice come playoffs

Rielly has legitimately been a top 7 defensemen in the NHL this year... And he's not 7
McCabe's human though, he will make mistakes, but I know I can send him out there and he'll make something happen
Agreed on Lilly, but look at final part of McCabe description
Agreed and TJ and Brodie
Benoit's solid, which is good; means we don't have to replace him... But he's not a top 4 defensemen come playoffs IMO
Juice liked this.
Jan. 19 at 12:41 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Has anyone noticed how bad Martin Jones has been recently... Was watching the past few games and he's been allowing 2+ goals he shouldn't have per game
Jan. 19 at 12:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 19 at 12:56 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Has anyone noticed how bad Martin Jones has been recently... Was watching the past few games and he's been allowing 2+ goals he shouldn't have per game

Jones really has not been bad when u consider how the teams been playing

Like in the EDM game can't really blame him besides on goal 1

CGY it's basically off Gios foot surprising him then Liligren fails to get it off the goal line or heck should just not have touched it to let it be 4-2.

Like he made some good saves and gave em a chance to win. Issue is there's problems up front. Brodie and Gio have not looked great. Liligren has the chance to prove something but his decisions are yea. Benoit and Reilly be the guys I see on the praise end heck even McCabe. So 3 of your 6 damn have been meh. Benoit should not be top pair and yea a move is needed

This teams past 5 even with the win in CGY wasn't great especially defensively. If Matthews didn't bail em out along with MVP vid team it would have got ugly in CGY
Jan. 19 at 1:17 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
Jones really has not been bad when u consider how the teams been playing

Like in the EDM game can't really blame him besides on goal 1

CGY it's basically off Gios foot surprising him then Liligren fails to get it off the goal line or heck should just not have touched it to let it be 4-2.

Like he made some good saves and gave em a chance to win. Issue is there's problems up front. Brodie and Gio have not looked great. Liligren has the chance to prove something but his decisions are yea. Benoit and Reilly be the guys I see on the praise end heck even McCabe. So 3 of your 6 damn have been meh. Benoit should not be top pair and yea a move is needed

This teams past 5 even with the win in CGY wasn't great especially defensively. If Matthews didn't bail em out along with MVP vid team it would have got ugly in CGY

That 3rd goal vs EDM was brutal too... Don't care whether he couldn't see or not... It was brutal...

That 2nd and 3rd goal are like man... Gotta save it... even that disallowed goal was brutal

Like, it's not like I'm expecting a Vezina caliber goalie, just noticing that he's allowing at least 1 back breaking goal a game

Or like that Romanov goal vs NYI

Or the 2nd and 3rd goal combined vs COL
Jan. 19 at 2:32 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I want them because it’s universal and easy to flip. I want to recoup assets so we can regroup in the summer, put ourselves in a better position to buy next year and then have more assets to spend

Actually hang on, my original idea from last year was to grab another 1st and trade up for Sam Dickinson. If we do that I'd be happy with picks.

Maybe New Jersey?
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Jan. 19 at 2:40 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Random2152
Actually hang on, my original idea from last year was to grab another 1st and trade up for Sam Dickinson. If we do that I'd be happy with picks.

Maybe New Jersey?

Dicky would be the change this blue line so dearly needs
Random2152 liked this.
Jan. 19 at 2:45 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Dicky would be the change this blue line so dearly needs

Slow burn. Probably needs 1 more years of junior but him slotting in behind rielly would be excellent long term. Local kid too

Kuzmenko sounds like he is done in vancouver, I'll take him and a 1st for bert half retained or something like that. Would love to get Brzustewicz as well but Canucks fans are in the Andrew Nielsen fase of his development right now.

New jersey needs a temporary C and a goalie. Sammy and Domi could head out that way

Could also look at moving Brodie for a team looking to add a dfd. CFs prices are way too low on what he'd bring I think
Jan. 19 at 3:11 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Slow burn. Probably needs 1 more years of junior but him slotting in behind rielly would be excellent long term. Local kid too

Kuzmenko sounds like he is done in vancouver, I'll take him and a 1st for bert half retained or something like that. Would love to get Brzustewicz as well but Canucks fans are in the Andrew Nielsen fase of his development right now.

New jersey needs a temporary C and a goalie. Sammy and Domi could head out that way

Could also look at moving Brodie for a team looking to add a dfd. CFs prices are way too low on what he'd bring I think

I'd also look at a guy like McCleod in Edmonton. VERY Fast young C/W
And his brother Michael in New Jersey
Jan. 19 at 3:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Honestly don't know why we're talking about draft now

Should be looking at the now not a Dman who won't be here for 3 years

Go trade for someone who can help now who has term and is good not a maybe. We don't have a big window to be going with Maybes

Chychrun, Hanifin, Weegar, etc

We're in win now mode can't be affording to gamble with a guy who maybe in 3 years = top 4 LD for us
Jan. 19 at 3:18 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

I'm so huge on Dickinson, I'd ride the year out and see the teams in that area and offer as much as Marner for that picks+other stuff (Like a Mesar and strubble type prospect with CGY's 2025 1st; Habs fans also think the deal is fair value). Yes, I get it seems like much, but think about it this way... Dickinson could stabilize the defence and this could help the Leafs go after Lindholm+a RHD to play with Rielly;

Rielly-Insert RHD
Dickinson-Lilly
McCabe-Benoit

Could be our DCore moving forward
Jan. 19 at 3:20 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I'm so huge on Dickinson, I'd ride the year out and see the teams in that area and offer as much as Marner for that picks+other stuff (Like a Mesar and strubble type prospect with CGY's 2025 1st; Habs fans also think the deal is fair value). Yes, I get it seems like much, but think about it this way... Dickinson could stabilize the defence and this could help the Leafs go after Lindholm+a RHD to play with Rielly;

Rielly-Insert RHD
Dickinson-Lilly
McCabe-Benoit

Could be our DCore moving forward

Maybe you phrased this wrong but that would be a horrific trade for Mitch
Jan. 19 at 3:21 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Go trade for someone who can help now who has term and is good not a maybe. We don't have a big window to be going with Maybes

We're in win now mode can't be affording to gamble with a guy who maybe in 3 years = top 4 LD for us

That's how good Dickinson is... Think our team could look like this in 2 years:

Knies-Matthews-Bert
Instert good 2LW-Jt/Minten-Cowan
Holmberg-Domi-Jarnkrok
McMann-Kampf-Hirvonen

Rielly-Insert good RHD
Dickinson-Lilly
McCabe-Benoit

Woll
Hildeby
Insert 3rd string
Jan. 19 at 3:24 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Maybe you phrased this wrong but that would be a horrific trade for Mitch

Here would be the hypothetical scenario:
Marner (no retention and 1 year left)
for
Dickinson pick
Mesar
Stubble (He's been fantastic and would be an upgrade over Gio and TJ rn)
CGY 1st
Any other smaller picks and prospects (like an additional 2nd and 4rth or something)
10.9 mill in cap space

Leafs then go out and sign Pesce, Bert, Domi with the Marner cap space and have 23 mill to upgrade the team
Jan. 19 at 3:27 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Because there is zero reason to spend an unholy amount of futures to try and fix this roster. This team still isn't Treliving's group, and Im going to assume that is why this season has been so meh. We are still stuck between 2 identities. Undergoing a strategic retool would be the best course of. Getting younger and prepping for the future is the way to go
Jan. 19 at 3:27 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
for
Dickinson pick
Mesar
CGY 1st
Any other smaller picks and prospects (like an additional 2nd and 4rth or something)
10.9 mill in cap space

Leafs then go out and sign Pesce, Bert, Domi with the Marner cap space and have 23 mill to upgrade the team

Cap space is a currency, not an asset.
This would be horrible for us. We are still trying to win and that value is way off. Besides mitch wont waive for ****ing montreal lmao
Jan. 19 at 3:38 p.m.

Yes. Without a doubt. He's come up with some big saves (last night in particular)...but there's been 1-2 bad goals/gm...particularly sharp angles to his left
Random2152 liked this.
Amirov Forever
I don't really think the Leafs will be sellers or buyers at this years TDL. Its a well known fact that Treliving wanted to make some pretty significant changes to our blueline, but with everything that was going on in his first year as GM (namely AM34 and WN88 needing new deals), our priorities were shifted elsewhere. I dont think the Leafs are going to bottom out and have a lottery pick by any means, so I doubt will have any assets needed to move up in the draft, but that doesn't mean we cant get an additional first somehow.

I kind of like the idea of sending Bertuzzi and Brodie (each 50% retained) to Vancouver for Kuzmenko (cap reasons plus he's an actually good player) and a 1st, plus another small sweetener of some sort (maybe someone like Arturs Silovs or Arshdeep Bains). Having two 1st rounders in this draft would be huge, regardless of how late they are. Getting a Kiviharju or a Cristoforo would be sweet. Plus, it gives us another tradeable asset to use when the offseason comes around if need be. Doing what Detroit or St Louis did last year would be wise.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Because there is zero reason to spend an unholy amount of futures to try and fix this roster. This team still isn't Treliving's group, and Im going to assume that is why this season has been so meh. We are still stuck between 2 identities. Undergoing a strategic retool would be the best course of. Getting younger and prepping for the future is the way to go

Adding a top 4 dman with term does not have to be an immediate fox but someone to build around next year

Look at Van with Hronek

Traded 14oa pick for him and ain't looking back

Leafs trade for and extend Chychrun or Hanafin I'm good

As we're in win now mode
Jan. 19 at 3:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
for
Dickinson pick
Mesar
CGY 1st
10.9 mill in cap space

Marner won't waive so that's immediately shut down lul
Jan. 19 at 3:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 19 at 3:51 p.m.
Yes. Without a doubt. He's come up with some big saves (last night in particular)...but there's been 1-2 bad goals/gm...particularly sharp angles to his left

I mean to be fair every goalie be having issues with sharp angle this season lul
Amirov Forever
Adding a top 4 dman with term does not have to be an immediate fox but someone to build around next year

Look at Van with Hronek

Traded 14oa pick for him and ain't looking back

Leafs trade for and extend Chychrun or Hanafin I'm good

As we're in win now mode

Not really, it's pretty tough to try and contend in the first year of bringing in a new GM whose ideologies on roster construction are the polar opposite of the former GM. Look at the Leafs under Dubas in the early years post Lou. That's exactly what is happening now
Leafs going to Leafs
Cap space is a currency, not an asset.
This would be horrible for us. We are still trying to win and that value is way off. Besides mitch wont waive for ****ing montreal lmao

Mesar and Stubble are close or already NHL ready, Dickinson is Dickinson and then you add a pretty high quality asset in CGY's 1st... AND, you get cap space

Mitch would waive bc he's still sort of close to home and he thinks the Habs are on the up
Jan. 19 at 3:42 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Marner won't waive so that's immediately shut down lul

Assuming he does waive
Jan. 19 at 3:42 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Mesar and Stubble are close or already NHL ready, Dickinson is Dickinson and then you add a pretty high quality asset in CGY's 1st... AND, you get cap space

Mitch would waive bc he's still sort of close to home and he thinks the Habs are on the up

No
aadoyle liked this.
Jan. 19 at 3:44 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Woll needs to get back soon
Juice liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll