SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Edmonton Oilers signed Corey Perry (1 Year / $1,100,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 23 at 1:51 p.m.
Quoting: PurpleHippo
Bonus has been paid but its tied to the cap hit, which is moved when you trade a contract.
The actual dollars have been given to Brown but we can move his contract and his cap hit goes with it.

Wrong. His bonus cap hit wouldn't move, only his salary cap hit.
mk458 liked this.
Jan. 23 at 3:37 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
Wrong. His bonus cap hit wouldn't move, only his salary cap hit.

Where have you found that says that?
Jan. 23 at 3:47 p.m.
MK458

Bonuses are always paid out where they're earned. Technically if Edmonton had a bunch of free cap space right now, Connor Brown's bonus could hit them this season.
Jan. 23 at 3:59 p.m.
Quoting: mk458
Bonuses are always paid out where they're earned. Technically if Edmonton had a bunch of free cap space right now, Connor Brown's bonus could hit them this season.

That's the actual dollar amount though, like what Brown puts into his pocket.
The cap hit is different based on what I've found and it states that it is a part of their contract which is moved on trades.

Not to argue, more so am genuinely curious where it's stated that bonus cap stays with the original signing team.
Jan. 23 at 4:11 p.m.

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-brown-2023-24-midseason-report-card/
Jan. 23 at 4:39 p.m.

To be critical he hasn't referenced anything in his article so there isn't any backup to what he stated, not to say he's wrong but it's the same as us discussing it now (no hard evidence/fact).

I am trying to look more into the CBA but all indicators point to a performance bonus being tied to a contract and not the signing team.
One example of this is Jagr whos bonus cap hit was moved to the Panthers when he was traded, the issue is that he met the Bonus requirement on the Panthers so it's hard to compare.
Jan. 23 at 6:02 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Carter Hart has checked into player assistance. Two might be a coincidence, but I’ll have my doubts if there’s a third in the next week.
Jan. 23 at 6:44 p.m.
MK458
That's the actual dollar amount though, like what Brown puts into his pocket.
The cap hit is different based on what I've found and it states that it is a part of their contract which is moved on trades.

Not to argue, more so am genuinely curious where it's stated that bonus cap stays with the original signing team.

I get your point, I can't find the exact rule either. I think the proof is that it's never happened before, contracts with bonuses have been traded before and the new team has never had to take the bonus cap hit the next season.

And if it was possible, I think every possible news article on the oilers would be suggesting we trade his bonuses away
PurpleHippo liked this.
Jan. 24 at 10:17 a.m.
I get your point, I can't find the exact rule either. I think the proof is that it's never happened before, contracts with bonuses have been traded before and the new team has never had to take the bonus cap hit the next season.

And if it was possible, I think every possible news article on the oilers would be suggesting we trade his bonuses away

It hasn't happened before cause most players earn up to their bonus and the teams normally don't see value in moving them.
If Brown, who to his credit has looked good along side Holloway and Mcleod the last 2 games, was playing to even a ~2.5 Mill player no team would trade him away given his current contract structure.

Guess we'll see what happens, I don't expect Holland to move him though.
Jan. 24 at 3:38 p.m.
SvechAhoMacMakar
F*** corey perry
Jan. 30 at 1:00 p.m.
MK458
It hasn't happened before cause most players earn up to their bonus and the teams normally don't see value in moving them.
If Brown, who to his credit has looked good along side Holloway and Mcleod the last 2 games, was playing to even a ~2.5 Mill player no team would trade him away given his current contract structure.

Guess we'll see what happens, I don't expect Holland to move him though.

Hey, we can finally put an end to the question. In this 32 thoughts podcast Elliot Friedman gets asked the exact question of if earned bonuses can be traded with the player. His answer is pretty definitive: no you can't!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/podcasts/32-thoughts/33-thoughts/
PurpleHippo liked this.
Jan. 30 at 1:17 p.m.
Hey, we can finally put an end to the question. In this 32 thoughts podcast Elliot Friedman gets asked the exact question of if earned bonuses can be traded with the player. His answer is pretty definitive: no you can't!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/podcasts/32-thoughts/33-thoughts/

Yea, someone else also started a thread in regards to it and I got a great response.
If you look in Forum > NHL > How bonuses are handled in trades, they cover a lot of if.

Looks like we're unfortunately stuck with it, will be interesting to see how we handle moving forward.
mk458 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit