Forums/Armchair-GM

Tanev and Jenner and Bogosian and Maroon

Created by: TMLBRIAN
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 25, 2024
Published: Jan. 25, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Tveberg is having a very good year. He is providing some value in that trade also. He is not a nothing prospect.

I would hate to lose Minten but this team would be VERY good come playoff time.

Thoughts?
Trades
MIN
  1. Gregor, Noah
  2. 2024 5th round pick (TOR)
  3. 2025 5th round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Tanev, Christopher ($2,250,000 retained)
CGY
  1. Timmins, Conor
  2. Tverberg, Ryan
  3. 2024 5th round pick (CGY)
  4. 2026 3rd round pick (TOR)
CBJ
  1. Minten, Fraser
  2. Samsonov, Ilya
  3. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2025 3rd round pick (TOR)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$79,868,950$0$0$3,631,050
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Calgary Flames
-$1,125,000-$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$850,000$850,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 25 at 7:45 p.m.
Is this all the players dreamed to be Leafs or all the other GM's are willing to take nothing back for their players?
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Jan. 25 at 7:50 p.m.
Quoting: vols94
Is this all the players dreamed to be Leafs or all the other GM's are willing to take nothing back for their players?

Gms willing to take nothing back?

Bogo and Maroon were aquired earlier this year for 2 x 7ths. I offered 2 x 5ths and a good, quick 4th liner RFA.
Jenner is super hard to predict his value and is unlikely to be traded. If he does 1st + good centre prospect would need to come back. Minten is on a very similar trajectory to Jenner. He is a Jenner type. Value might be a touch low but definitely not ridiculous. Leafs are very very unlikely to move Minten. This might be a rare scenario where I move him.
Tanev I predict is worth around a 1st. This is definitely a quantity package. They would need to see potential in Timmins and they would need to really like Tveberg (he is averaging over a ppg in the AHL right now as a 21 year old). So value is for sure fair BUT if Calgary can get a 1st, they may or even should opt for that instead.
Jan. 25 at 7:53 p.m.
Quoting: TMLBRIAN
Gms willing to take nothing back?

Bogo and Maroon were aquired earlier this year for 2 x 7ths. I offered 2 x 5ths and a good, quick 4th liner RFA.
Jenner is super hard to predict his value and is unlikely to be traded. If he does 1st + good centre prospect would need to come back. Minten is on a very similar trajectory to Jenner. He is a Jenner type. Value might be a touch low but definitely not ridiculous. Leafs are very very unlikely to move Minten. This might be a rare scenario where I move him.
Tanev I predict is worth around a 1st. This is definitely a quantity package. They would need to see potential in Timmins and they would need to really like Tveberg (he is averaging over a ppg in the AHL right now as a 21 year old). So value is for sure fair BUT if Calgary can get a 1st, they may or even should opt for that instead.

5 team beat the Tanev offer retained. he's the best RD on the market

Gregor is an AHL plug who can skate but does nothing else well
Jan. 25 at 7:55 p.m.
Quoting: vols94
5 team beat the Tanev offer retained. he's the best RD on the market

Gregor is an AHL plug who can skate but does nothing else well

I can accept your argument on Tanev. If this offer is beat, then so be it.

As for Minny deal... Okay you have Gregor as zero value... Even then, 2 x 5ths vs 2 x 7ths which is what they paid. So the value is there regardless.
Jan. 25 at 8:37 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Jenner isn’t available, and flames decline
Jan. 25 at 9:00 p.m.

He's extremely unlikely to be traded, especially when Dreger is reporting teams are very interested yet Columbus is highly unlikely to move him.

If he was moved, I think you're pretty much spot on with this analysis. Minten would be a great target, definitely need a center and a 1st coming back, this particular offer is a little low (mostly because of Tarasov's inclusion) but it gets the ball rolling. Framework is there, value is almost there.
TMLBRIAN liked this.
Jan. 25 at 9:19 p.m.
Quoting: CaseyFlyman
He's extremely unlikely to be traded, especially when Dreger is reporting teams are very interested yet Columbus is highly unlikely to move him.

If he was moved, I think you're pretty much spot on with this analysis. Minten would be a great target, definitely need a center and a 1st coming back, this particular offer is a little low (mostly because of Tarasov's inclusion) but it gets the ball rolling. Framework is there, value is almost there.

Ya the Tarasov for Sammy additions were for cap reasons only. Sammy has a slight negative value. Tarasov is worth a very low pick at best. It was to ensure that the Leafs can make this fit under the cap, while also maintaining their goalie depth. As for Columbus, it frees up more space for Merz to have more ice time this year and next year. I can't see Merz having positive value right now, so I think their best bet is to try to make him happy and get him going fully. Trade him if/when his value becomes even.
Jan. 25 at 9:25 p.m.
Quoting: SomeonesOffended
Jenner isn’t available, and flames decline

Jenner is very very unlikely to be moved. But at this point Columbus should consider all their options. If a potential trade perks them up a bit, it is a trade involving Minten and a 1st. Or another good C prospect and a 1st.

Flames could very well decline. But have you looked into Tverberg recently? He is having a sneaky good year for a young guy in the AHL. We shouldn't be sleeping on him.
Jan. 25 at 9:32 p.m.
Ya the Tarasov for Sammy additions were for cap reasons only. Sammy has a slight negative value. Tarasov is worth a very low pick at best. It was to ensure that the Leafs can make this fit under the cap, while also maintaining their goalie depth. As for Columbus, it frees up more space for Merz to have more ice time this year and next year. I can't see Merz having positive value right now, so I think their best bet is to try to make him happy and get him going fully. Trade him if/when his value becomes even.

Pretty much spot on again. The only hiccup is the current FO thinks Tarasov is the future in net (where I personally think it's Greaves), and they'd probably set his asking price a little higher. I'd be all for shipping him out for a mid-round pick and rolling with Greaves-Elvis next year.

What I'm thinking:
Jenner = 1st, A prospect (Minten) and likely a 2nd.
Tarasov = 4th
Sammy = ~7th to dump, but it makes sense to keep him if you can and see if he rebounds, or only move him as a cap casualty to upgrade elsewhere

So put it all together, and I think Jenner and Tarasov for Sammy, Minten, 2024 1st, 2024 3rd (NYI) and 2025 3rd probably gets it done. (assuming 2nd + 4th + 7th = 3rd + 3rd approximately, and again contingent on Jenner actually becoming available)
TMLBRIAN liked this.
Jan. 25 at 9:49 p.m.
Pretty much spot on again. The only hiccup is the current FO thinks Tarasov is the future in net (where I personally think it's Greaves), and they'd probably set his asking price a little higher. I'd be all for shipping him out for a mid-round pick and rolling with Greaves-Elvis next year.

What I'm thinking:
Tarasov = 4th
Sammy = ~7th to dump, but it makes sense to keep him if you can and see if he rebounds, or only move him as a cap casualty to upgrade elsewhere

So put it all together, and I think Jenner and Tarasov for Sammy, Minten, 2024 1st, 2024 3rd (NYI) and 2025 3rd probably gets it done. (assuming 2nd + 4th + 7th = 3rd + 3rd approximately, and again contingent on Jenner actually becoming available)

This is all very reasonable! Thanks for being so great smile
CaseyFlyman liked this.
Jan. 25 at 10:11 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Jenner is very very unlikely to be moved. But at this point Columbus should consider all their options. If a potential trade perks them up a bit, it is a trade involving Minten and a 1st. Or another good C prospect and a 1st.

Flames could very well decline. But have you looked into Tverberg recently? He is having a sneaky good year for a young guy in the AHL. We shouldn't be sleeping on him.

Leafs have a very lacking prospect pool we aren’t trading our second best prospect, Brad literally said he wasn’t moving Minten Cowan or hildeby this season if ever
Jan. 25 at 10:42 p.m.

What I'm thinking:
Tarasov = 4th

I'm really split on moving Jenner (likelihood aside). I keep going back and forth between whether it's worth it or not. Ultimately I think the "right" move by a tiny margin is moving him. I think the fact this team is a couple years away from being any good and his age/injury history recently could lead to him being a far smaller factor than we may expect on the ice when the team gets to that point. So I think the upside of a guy like Minten and another late 1st + is really starting to make sense and maybe outweigh the benefits of Jenner as a locker room guy and leader. Not set on that by any means, but as far as "what's best for the future of the team" I am starting to lean that way a bit.

Anyway, I'm 100% with you on rolling with Elvis/Greaves next year. If they're gonna have to pay or retain to move Elvis, it just doesn't make sense at this point in time with how far away they are. Again, realism with this FO vs what I think is best, but Tarasov has had his chance as far as I'm concerned and we've seen he's not gonna be the guy. He's 100% got unlucky with injuries, but I've seen enough to move on. Elvis has been up and down for sure and has the contract, but he's dramatically outperforming Tarasov behind the same team, and the numbers are good enough that you'd think he'll be at least solid if they ever figure out how to defend. Then, Greaves has some issues with his size, sure, but he's so fantastic technically that I think he's got a really good shot to overcome it. Even if he doesn't turn into a "real" starter, I think there's a fair chance we'll see him turn into a solidified NHL player that'll at least be a solid backup or mediocre 1B. I don't see any reason not to go into next season with those 2 as your NHL pair personally, but the FO obviously has other ideas.
TMLBRIAN liked this.
Jan. 25 at 11:07 p.m.
This is all very reasonable! Thanks for being so great smile

Right back at you!
TMLBRIAN liked this.
Jan. 25 at 11:10 p.m.
Quoting: Trevor31lv
I'm really split on moving Jenner (likelihood aside). I keep going back and forth between whether it's worth it or not. Ultimately I think the "right" move by a tiny margin is moving him. I think the fact this team is a couple years away from being any good and his age/injury history recently could lead to him being a far smaller factor than we may expect on the ice when the team gets to that point. So I think the upside of a guy like Minten and another late 1st + is really starting to make sense and maybe outweigh the benefits of Jenner as a locker room guy and leader. Not set on that by any means, but as far as "what's best for the future of the team" I am starting to lean that way a bit.

Anyway, I'm 100% with you on rolling with Elvis/Greaves next year. If they're gonna have to pay or retain to move Elvis, it just doesn't make sense at this point in time with how far away they are. Again, realism with this FO vs what I think is best, but Tarasov has had his chance as far as I'm concerned and we've seen he's not gonna be the guy. He's 100% got unlucky with injuries, but I've seen enough to move on. Elvis has been up and down for sure and has the contract, but he's dramatically outperforming Tarasov behind the same team, and the numbers are good enough that you'd think he'll be at least solid if they ever figure out how to defend. Then, Greaves has some issues with his size, sure, but he's so fantastic technically that I think he's got a really good shot to overcome it. Even if he doesn't turn into a "real" starter, I think there's a fair chance we'll see him turn into a solidified NHL player that'll at least be a solid backup or mediocre 1B. I don't see any reason not to go into next season with those 2 as your NHL pair personally, but the FO obviously has other ideas.

In regards to the first part: my reasoning for leaning pro-moving Jenner is because I think he hasn't been the best captain/leader, and a shakeup there might shake up the whole room and organization. But it's got to be preceded by firing Jarmo and JD, which has turned into the ultimate boys club IMO. Few FOs have as much job security for as little on-ice success as those two, and the whole organization of old needs to go to move forward.

In regards to the second part: yeah, Elvis + Greaves makes too much sense for next year, and the fact that the FO has other plans is part of why I'm also pro-new-FO. smile
Trevor31lv liked this.
Jan. 25 at 11:18 p.m.
In regards to the first part: my reasoning for leaning pro-moving Jenner is because I think he hasn't been the best captain/leader, and a shakeup there might shake up the whole room and organization. But it's got to be preceded by firing Jarmo and JD, which has turned into the ultimate boys club IMO. Few FOs have as much job security for as little on-ice success as those two, and the whole organization of old needs to go to move forward.

In regards to the second part: yeah, Elvis + Greaves makes too much sense for next year, and the fact that the FO has other plans is part of why I'm also pro-new-FO. smile

Agreed fully honestly. I do think Jenner has those qualities (maybe not quite as much as some think), but there is a point to just shaking up everything and letting the young core really develop their own locker room culture as they develop on the ice considering how bad it is right now. I'd have big questions for anyone who isn't pro new FO at this point. If they're not gone after this season, there are big issues. I've been very in tune with Jarmo through the years as far as team vision goes. I like that he accepted they needed to move off of Savard, Foligno, ect and accept being bad for a few years. I even agreed that it didn't need to be a full on rebuild. I've just hated the specific moves he's made to a large extent. Trading for Laine, trading for Provorov, the coaching hires, on and on and it's long past an infuriating level. Initially, I didn't think JD needed to go too, but I've learned that he shares a lot of the same views, and even if that wasn't the case, he'd still have Jarmo's stench on him. I just really hope they don't mess up this cycle of hiring a new FO and coach this offseason. They've got so much to work with, another top 5 pick. With good management and some luck, the team could have an incredible future. Really hoping they don't miss here.
CaseyFlyman liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll