Forums/Armchair-GM

Ready to start competing

Created by: ChiHawk
Team: 2025-26 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 27, 2024
Published: Jan. 27, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is the season I see the Hawks ready to start competing and management making summer moves to bolster the roster, in this case come in with a strong long term offer for Rantanen. I see one big move and this could be it ala Hossa type of move. For the record, this is not a cup ready group by any means and at best may sneak into the playoffs, but this team is talented and 25/26 is a year to build chemistry off of that. They will be competitive in the vein of not a bottom 5 team anymore.

2024 draft, Hawks finish 2nd worst behind the Sharks but get pushed down to #3 pick OA based on lottery and get the #12 pick OA from Tampa. They end up drafting Cayden Lindstrom, the 6'5" winger and Ivan Demidov. Both spend the 2024/2025 season in the juniors and russia, and both join the Hawks in 2025 and flank Bedard. Lindstrom is a power forward to compliment Bedard and Demidov a Marner type of playmaker creating a very skilled first line.

The second line is a speed line with Moore, Nazar and Demidov being extremely fast.

Reichel comes around and proves to be a solid top 9 winger and can play up and down the lineup, but in this case have him as a 3rd liner. That said, he certainly can switch with Lindstrom if Lindstrom doesn't look like a 1st liner (I believe he's a little bit of a long shot at top line and more a middle 6 winger anyway). Regardless, Dickinson and Kurashev are both very strong 3rd liners and this should make for a good 3rd line whether Reichel or Lindstrom flank them on the left side.

The bottom line is up for grabs but I feel Guttman is a workhorse, Foligno will still be with the team and is really a 4th liner anyway, and Dach rounds it out. I'm not as high on Dach as some but I think he will definitely be a 4th liner possibly 3rd liner when Dickinson's contract is done.

On the blue line, the obvious is Vlasic and Jones as the top pair. 2nd line of Korchinksi and questionable who his partner is. Is Murphy still with the team and has Rinzel's development continued to improve to surpass him? 3rd line on the left side could be a number of guys, Kaisier, Philips, Allan or Del Mastro with another one of those as the #7 guy.

In net, Commesso doesn't come up until 26/27 so that leaves Mrazek and Soderblom.

This is not a playoff team YET likely, but they will be competing.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
2$1,100,000
2$1,100,000
2$3,500,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,100,000
2$4,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$12,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Lindstrom, Cayden
3$925,000
Demidov, Ivan
3$925,000
Rantanen, Mikko
6$12,000,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
27$89,500,000$77,055,833$0$4,500,000$12,444,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Lindstrom, Cayden
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
C
RFA - 1
$12,000,000$12,000,000
RW, C
UFA
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA
$925,000$925,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
Demidov, Ivan
$925,000$925,000
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C
RFA
$4,250,000$4,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
RFA
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
C
RFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
C
RFA
$931,667$931,667
C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
RFA
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA
Rantanen, Mikko
$12,000,000$12,000,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
UFA - 5
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
UFA - 1
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
LD
RFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
RFA
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD
RFA
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
RFA
$855,833$855,833
LD
RFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 27 at 12:17 p.m.
It would have to be in the 15m range for the Avs to start to consider letting Rants walk
Jan. 27 at 12:46 p.m.
This should be when we start seeing a larger influx of young prospects making their way into the NHL ranks, for sure. But any expectations of being competitive should probably be tempered. Most of these kids are gonna need at least a season or two in the NHL before they become who they are going to be and learn how to play at the pro level.

Lindstrom and Demidov would be awesome, though! If the TBL pick and Demidov slips that much, it would be amazing. I'm not counting on it, though. I think you underestimate where Demidov is going in the draft. If he were in North America, he would be second only to Celebrini, and might even challenge him for 1st overall. He is probably the most dynamic offensive threat in the draft. I think we have a better chance of seeing Eiserman slip than Demidov. I would have no problem with grabbing Demidov in the 2 to 5 range. Also, I'd bet Demidov extends for a year or two before coming over. There was some mandate I read about recently by the Russian government either urging or requiring Russian players to stay in the KHL for a certain amount of time. I'm unsure on the details and finding accurate reporting on anything out of Russia is not easy.

Also, I doubt Rantanen makes it to free agency. Even if COL keeps him as their own rental next season without intending to extend him, I bet some team probably pays a hefty sum for his negotiating rights before free agency opens. But he would be a very interesting target if available.
Jco5ta5 liked this.
Jan. 27 at 1:05 p.m.
Hawks Fan
I doubt the Hawks get 12OA from Tampa. Tampa will make the playoffs. Were looking at the 20th +/- 2 picks.
Jan. 27 at 1:09 p.m.
Edited Jan. 27 at 1:28 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
I doubt the Hawks get 12OA from Tampa. Tampa will make the playoffs. Were looking at the 20th +/- 2 picks.

Not so sure of that. Tampa is in 3rd in the division with the Leafs who are 1 point behind and 3 games in hand. Detroit is 2 points behind with 1 game in hand. I think the Leafs will make a move on D and surpass Tampa no problem. Detroit gets Kane back from injury and IF they make a move to bolster goaltending they will pass Tampa. Either way, Tampa is a fringe playoff team at best and could easily drop behind Leafs, Wings, Flyers, Devils, and Kings in the final standings.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 27 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: Garak
This should be when we start seeing a larger influx of young prospects making their way into the NHL ranks, for sure. But any expectations of being competitive should probably be tempered. Most of these kids are gonna need at least a season or two in the NHL before they become who they are going to be and learn how to play at the pro level.

Lindstrom and Demidov would be awesome, though! If the TBL pick and Demidov slips that much, it would be amazing. I'm not counting on it, though. I think you underestimate where Demidov is going in the draft. If he were in North America, he would be second only to Celebrini, and might even challenge him for 1st overall. He is probably the most dynamic offensive threat in the draft. I think we have a better chance of seeing Eiserman slip than Demidov. I would have no problem with grabbing Demidov in the 2 to 5 range. Also, I'd bet Demidov extends for a year or two before coming over. There was some mandate I read about recently by the Russian government either urging or requiring Russian players to stay in the KHL for a certain amount of time. I'm unsure on the details and finding accurate reporting on anything out of Russia is not easy.

Also, I doubt Rantanen makes it to free agency. Even if COL keeps him as their own rental next season without intending to extend him, I bet some team probably pays a hefty sum for his negotiating rights before free agency opens. But he would be a very interesting target if available.

In the comments I temper the word "competitive" saying not a bottom 5 team and this being a chemistry year for the group with a slight chance to slip into the playoffs as a bubble team.

I should have said Demidov I see at #3 and Lindstrom possibly dropping. Demidov is the real deal IMO and he's done with his KHL contract in the summer of 2025 and will jump right in, it's been reported he will come over to NA and will not sign again in the KHL regardless of what Russia wants. Given that it looks to be true, he's going to be a immediate impact player for the team that drafts him in the 25/26 season. Lindstrom will need another year before going pro, maybe 2 years, but he's a big big guy and power forward that I believe Bedard could benefit from and than on the other side a guy like Rantanen who's nasty. Lindstrom I could see falling as their is concern with his defensive play but something I think that's fixable....but it's a long shot he falls outside of the top 10.

Colorado is interesting. They are in a bit of cap crunch and Rantanen is going to sign for $12M+, not sure the Avs can afford that in the summer of 25 without making big sacrifices for the rest of the team and the question is, after this season and next, how competitive are the Avs going to look beyond that? If Rantanen wants max dollars and wants to join a team on the rise, it's possible, but ultimately probably unlikely. That being said, there are some other intriguing names, Marner being another one which I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs move on from to create a more balanced roster.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 27 at 1:26 p.m.
Quoting: MeetYourMakar
It would have to be in the 15m range for the Avs to start to consider letting Rants walk

Agree the contract is going to be $12M at a minimum and could be as high as $15M. Avs are heading into a cap crunch IMO and the summer of 2025 will have 10 players as of today with $63M committed to those 10 players. Add Rants at a minimum of $12M and that's 11 players at $75M leaving under $15M to get 11 more players. In other words, not a great cap place to be in. The team and Rantanen will both need to decide how competitive of a group they will be long-term and another season from now, and see if Colorado wants to retool a bit and or if Rantanen wants to go for max dollars. If either scenario (or both) play out, and not saying this is an absolute by any stretch, the Hawks are in a good position with plenty of cap space and a team on the rise to possibly attract Rantanen.
Jan. 27 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
In the comments I temper the word "competitive" saying not a bottom 5 team and this being a chemistry year for the group with a slight chance to slip into the playoffs as a bubble team.

I should have said Demidov I see at #3 and Lindstrom possibly dropping. Demidov is the real deal IMO and he's done with his KHL contract in the summer of 2025 and will jump right in, it's been reported he will come over to NA and will not sign again in the KHL regardless of what Russia wants. Given that it looks to be true, he's going to be a immediate impact player for the team that drafts him in the 25/26 season. Lindstrom will need another year before going pro, maybe 2 years, but he's a big big guy and power forward that I believe Bedard could benefit from and than on the other side a guy like Rantanen who's nasty. Lindstrom I could see falling as their is concern with his defensive play but something I think that's fixable....but it's a long shot he falls outside of the top 10.

Colorado is interesting. They are in a bit of cap crunch and Rantanen is going to sign for $12M+, not sure the Avs can afford that in the summer of 25 without making big sacrifices for the rest of the team and the question is, after this season and next, how competitive are the Avs going to look beyond that? If Rantanen wants max dollars and wants to join a team on the rise, it's possible, but ultimately probably unlikely. That being said, there are some other intriguing names, Marner being another one which I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs move on from to create a more balanced roster.

Yeah. I agree, Demidov is the real deal. But I don't see Lindstrom slipping that far. Though, if he does, KD shouldn't think twice about selecting him. I don't think there are concerns with Lindstroms defensive play, though. In all my veiwings, he is strong on and off the puck and is almost a lock to go in the top 5, imo. But, I guess we'll have to see how he does when he comes back from injury. If his play falls off, I could see him dropping quite a bit.

And yeah, COL is interesting. Plus, they have Kovalenko, whom, if he pops, will make it easier to move on from someone like Rantanen if he prices himself out of their plans. Definitely interested in Marner too. I like the idea of putting a Selke caliber high end play maker with in the top 6. Even Reinhart would be interesting this summer.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jan. 27 at 1:52 p.m.
Not so sure of that. Tampa is in 3rd in the division with the Leafs who are 1 point behind and 3 games in hand. Detroit is 2 points behind with 1 game in hand. I think the Leafs will make a move on D and surpass Tampa no problem. Detroit gets Kane back from injury and IF they make a move to bolster goaltending they will pass Tampa. Either way, Tampa is a fringe playoff team at best and could easily drop behind Leafs, Wings, Flyers, Devils, and Kings in the final standings.

Yeah. The points in the east are so tight, that one or two games could put them back out of the playoff picture, their remaining schedule is by no means easy, they have been very inconsistent, their depth is pretty depleted, and they don't have many tradable assets to improve the roster at the deadline. Them creeping up the standings is actually a good thing, IMO, though. I want them to keep teetering on the edge of the playoffs like this. If they fall too far, we don't get to make the pick until 2026. Which could work to our favor in the big picture if they completely fall off the next couple years, because it will be unprotected. But I think I'd rather make the pick now anyway.

I think if we lose the TBL pick this year, we probably make one long term free agent acquisition. If we make that pick this year, we probably stick with stop gap measures.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jan. 27 at 1:53 p.m.
Btw, where did you see this report about Demidov saying he won't re-sign in the KHL?
Jan. 27 at 1:56 p.m.
Yeah. I agree, Demidov is the real deal. But I don't see Lindstrom slipping that far. Though, if he does, KD shouldn't think twice about selecting him. I don't think there are concerns with Lindstroms defensive play, though. In all my veiwings, he is strong on and off the puck and is almost a lock to go in the top 5, imo. But, I guess we'll have to see how he does when he comes back from injury. If his play falls off, I could see him dropping quite a bit.

And yeah, COL is interesting. Plus, they have Kovalenko, whom, if he pops, will make it easier to move on from someone like Rantanen if he prices himself out of their plans. Definitely interested in Marner too. I like the idea of putting a Selke caliber high end play maker with in the top 6. Even Reinhart would be interesting this summer.

My only hope on Lindstrom is the injury effects his draft position and guys like Dickinson, Easiermann, and Catton make a jump ahead while names like Jiricek and Iginla go higher than they should based on pedigree....i know, wishful thinking. Other route is the Hawks trade up from tampa's pick but that's pretty rare in the NHL compared to say the NFL. Lindstrom could end up going between 5 and 8 realistically. If the Tampa pick is #14 for example, could the Hawks package #14 plus their early 2nd rounder and a 3rd or 2025 2nd to move up to say #6?

Marner next to Bedard would be sick and Reinhardt would be great as a 2 way power forward as well. Hawks will surely have to make a big top 6 splash of some sort, they just don't have the prospect pool even if everyone pans out; Moore, Nazar, Reichel, Bedard, plus 2024 #2 or #3 pick. That's 5 spots and assuming everyone pans out...and also probably not likely.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 27 at 1:59 p.m.
Btw, where did you see this report about Demidov saying he won't re-sign in the KHL?

I don't recall I read too much hockey news! LOL. But it was an interview with him saying he wants to come to the NHL as soon as this contract is up with his agent saying that is their intent. Maybe it's to hype his draft position? A couple scouts weighed in saying while there is always a risk, they think he will come over as soon as possible.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 27 at 2:02 p.m.
Yeah. The points in the east are so tight, that one or two games could put them back out of the playoff picture, their remaining schedule is by no means easy, they have been very inconsistent, their depth is pretty depleted, and they don't have many tradable assets to improve the roster at the deadline. Them creeping up the standings is actually a good thing, IMO, though. I want them to keep teetering on the edge of the playoffs like this. If they fall too far, we don't get to make the pick until 2026. Which could work to our favor in the big picture if they completely fall off the next couple years, because it will be unprotected. But I think I'd rather make the pick now anyway.

I think if we lose the TBL pick this year, we probably make one long term free agent acquisition. If we make that pick this year, we probably stick with stop gap measures.

Yes, I worry Tampa becomes a top 10 pick honestly...that would not be good for the Hawks given where they are at in the rebuild and how much we need forwards. However, at the end of the day there's the possibility we are hoping for a mid 2024 first when we may end up with a top 5 pick in 2026 so not a bad thing either.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 27 at 2:03 p.m.
My only hope on Lindstrom is the injury effects his draft position and guys like Dickinson, Easiermann, and Catton make a jump ahead while names like Jiricek and Iginla go higher than they should based on pedigree....i know, wishful thinking. Other route is the Hawks trade up from tampa's pick but that's pretty rare in the NHL compared to say the NFL. Lindstrom could end up going between 5 and 8 realistically. If the Tampa pick is #14 for example, could the Hawks package #14 plus their early 2nd rounder and a 3rd or 2025 2nd to move up to say #6?

Marner next to Bedard would be sick and Reinhardt would be great as a 2 way power forward as well. Hawks will surely have to make a big top 6 splash of some sort, they just don't have the prospect pool even if everyone pans out; Moore, Nazar, Reichel, Bedard, plus 2024 #2 or #3 pick. That's 5 spots and assuming everyone pans out...and also probably not likely.

Yeah. That'd be awesome for CHI if that happens. Also, the TBL pick would be about where I would consider taking Parekh if he slips far enough. I don't think CHI has any business taking such a chance on someone like Parekh in the top 10, but outside of there, the upside could be worth the risk. It all depends on who is available though. It's gonna be a fun draft. I'm excited to see what route KD goes. Maybe he can actually convince someone to trade down for a handsome package and gets another top 10 pick.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jan. 27 at 2:04 p.m.
Yeah. That'd be awesome for CHI if that happens. Also, the TBL pick would be about where I would consider taking Parekh if he slips far enough. I don't think CHI has any business taking such a chance on someone like Parekh in the top 10, but outside of there, the upside could be worth the risk. It all depends on who is available though. It's gonna be a fun draft. I'm excited to see what route KD goes. Maybe he can actually convince someone to trade down for a handsome package and gets another top 10 pick.

Let's say we have the #14 pick. Would you trade it for a young struggling player like Kappo?
Jan. 27 at 2:05 p.m.
I don't recall I read too much hockey news! LOL. But it was an interview with him saying he wants to come to the NHL as soon as this contract is up with his agent saying that is their intent. Maybe it's to hype his draft position? A couple scouts weighed in saying while there is always a risk, they think he will come over as soon as possible.

Interesting. But, if the Russian government says otherwise he might not have much choice or risk some serious consequences. I am definitely interested in hearing more about this, though.
Jan. 27 at 2:09 p.m.
Interesting. But, if the Russian government says otherwise he might not have much choice or risk some serious consequences. I am definitely interested in hearing more about this, though.

I don't recall where the government has ever forced a prospect resigns in Russia. I know they strongly encourage staying in Russia and mainly through incentives and big money well beyond what a NHL rookie makes (I've seen $925K vs. $4M in the KHL as example), but again don't recall them ever forcing it "or else".
Garak liked this.
Jan. 27 at 2:10 p.m.
Let's say we have the #14 pick. Would you trade it for a young struggling player like Kappo?

Nah. I'd rather make the pick. I think that would be a far too risky bet. Kakko is bordering on being a bust and CHI is in no rush that they should be hedging bets on reclamation projects.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jan. 27 at 2:13 p.m.
Nah. I'd rather make the pick. I think that would be a far too risky bet. Kakko is bordering on being a bust and CHI is in no rush that they should be hedging bets on reclamation projects.

I love KK's ceiling as a Hossa type of player although I don't think he will hit it. That said, I think he's been mismanaged in NY and pushed too hard in the spotlight and really think he can turn it around into a Saad type of player which would be a great compliment to Bedard IMO.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 27 at 2:13 p.m.
I don't recall where the government has ever forced a prospect resigns in Russia. I know they strongly encourage staying in Russia and mainly through incentives and big money well beyond what a NHL rookie makes (I've seen $925K vs. $4M in the KHL as example), but again don't recall them ever forcing it "or else".

Yeah. They haven't before. But, like I said before, there was some sort of announcement from the government either encouraging or requiring players to stay for some set amount of time. Might be in anticipation of sociopolitical issues, Ukraine, Israel/the middle east, etc. Things aren't looking good, and it's the kind of authoritarian move Putin would probably make.
Jan. 27 at 2:16 p.m.
I love KK's ceiling as a Hossa type of player although I don't think he will hit it. That said, I think he's been mismanaged in NY and pushed too hard in the spotlight and really think he can turn it around into a Saad type of player which would be a great compliment to Bedard IMO.

I think we can probably buy lower on him at some point without giving up a 1st. Or at least not a 1st this year.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jan. 27 at 2:18 p.m.
exo2769

We don't get the TBL until 2026? Or does NSH have their's push to 2026 and we get 2025? I honestly don't know. Asking to see if you do know.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 27 at 2:19 p.m.
Yeah. They haven't before. But, like I said before, there was some sort of announcement from the government either encouraging or requiring players to stay for some set amount of time. Might be in anticipation of sociopolitical issues, Ukraine, Israel/the middle east, etc. Things aren't looking good, and it's the kind of authoritarian move Putin would probably make.

I had a very good friend who after a brief stint in the NHL and a couple seasons in the AHL went to play in the KHL to cash in. It was interesting to hear from the Russian players their perspectives. At least, back 15 years ago, the other issue was actually getting paid the contract amount in the KHL especially for international players, my friend left after a season and went to play in Germany where he made less than the contract in the KHL but since they didn't pay him in full actual cash was more...both cases significantly more than the AHL. The other strange thing with the KHL is they would have strict curfews and they were followed in their personal time...it was a very uncomfortable situation for the international players...he and a couple guys from Canada. That said, when he went to Germany he was the top 2 players on the team and local hero in Cologne...had a great run there and made a lot of money ($900K a year at the time plus free housing, daily food costs covered, and a car) for not being able to stick in the NHL.
exo2769 and Garak liked this.
Jan. 27 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
We don't get the TBL until 2026? Or does NSH have their's push to 2026 and we get 2025? I honestly don't know. Asking to see if you do know.

There is no language within the conditions that would indicate that in either trade. My understanding was always that the deal in the Hagel trade was the 23 turns into a 25, and the 24 turns into a 26.
Jan. 27 at 2:22 p.m.
exo2769

This isn't entirely true. It's not super prolific, but Ivan Fedetov was detained for "evading military service". Essentially he was drafted and he still tried to come over to the US for Flyers training camp. He's playing this year for CSKA Moscow...so I'm assuming things must be "all good"??? But you just never know. I certianly don't have ALL the details. He didn't "dissapear". He's playing. Just still in Russia.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 27 at 2:39 p.m.
I had a very good friend who after a brief stint in the NHL and a couple seasons in the AHL went to play in the KHL to cash in. It was interesting to hear from the Russian players their perspectives. At least, back 15 years ago, the other issue was actually getting paid the contract amount in the KHL especially for international players, my friend left after a season and went to play in Germany where he made less than the contract in the KHL but since they didn't pay him in full actual cash was more...both cases significantly more than the AHL. The other strange thing with the KHL is they would have strict curfews and they were followed in their personal time...it was a very uncomfortable situation for the international players...he and a couple guys from Canada. That said, when he went to Germany he was the top 2 players on the team and local hero in Cologne...had a great run there and made a lot of money ($900K a year at the time plus free housing, daily food costs covered, and a car) for not being able to stick in the NHL.

That's interesting. I was under the impression there was a lot of partying and stuff of that nature going on in the KHL. I can imagine it'd be pretty uncomfortable, though. Did you read Laz's article recently along those lines?
exo2769 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll