Forums/Armchair-GM

Walker to Bolts

Created by: SwarmChair
Team: 2023-24 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 4, 2024
Published: Feb. 4, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Bolts have interest in Walker. Philly wants to sell high on the rental. Looks like the recipe for a deal. Tampa doesn’t have a 1st in 2024 or 2025. So they can only send a 2026 1st.
Trades
TBL
  1. Walker, Sean ($1,325,000 retained)
PHI
  1. 2026 1st round pick (TBL)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$76,419,998$0$80,000$7,080,002
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,250,000$6,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 8
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$758,333$758,333
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,200,000$5,200,000
RD
UFA - 8
$9,500,000$9,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 5
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
LD
RFA - 2
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$1,325,000$1,325,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,665,000$2,665,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 8
$776,665$776,665
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 4 at 1:58 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Eventually this selling of 1sts for rentals/mid players will catch up to them, the trading of an entire round of draft picks for Jeannot doesn't seem to be working out too well for the Lightning.
SwarmChair liked this.
Feb. 4 at 2:02 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Eventually this selling of 1sts for rentals/mid players will catch up to them, the trading of an entire round of draft picks for Jeannot doesn't seem to be working out too well for the Lightning.

Probably. But also they have to keep trying for a Cups when Stamkos is still around and Kuch and Hedman are still in their prime.

With Cernak in and out of the IR they need to shore up that RD depth to have a chance at the Cup.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Feb. 4 at 2:09 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: SwarmChair
Probably. But also they have to keep trying for a Cups when Stamkos is still around and Kuch and Hedman are still in their prime.

With Cernak in and out of the IR they need to shore up that RD depth to have a chance at the Cup.

Yeah I get it, they're in too deep to not be trying to win but damn they've tossed away their trade chips on some only okay stuff.

They haven't been very good at mining for depth lately either.

So was Walker considered a cap dump or compensation for Philly to take Petersen or just a useful cap casualty?
SwarmChair liked this.
Feb. 4 at 2:11 p.m.
Yeah I get it, they're in too deep to not be trying to win but damn they've tossed away their trade chips on some only okay stuff.

They haven't been very good at mining for depth lately either.

So was Walker considered a cap dump or compensation for Philly to take Petersen or just a useful cap casualty?

I agree. The Jeannot trade was such an overpay. Rare miss for the bolts there and a pretty big one at that.

Well Walker was a “throw in” on that deal. But maybe Flyers saw something LA didn’t cause he was a 3rd pair guy in LA, and Philly played him top 4 minutes right off the bat and he’s done well with that oppurtunity.
Feb. 4 at 2:21 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I agree. The Jeannot trade was such an overpay. Rare miss for the bolts there and a pretty big one at that.

Well Walker was a “throw in” on that deal. But maybe Flyers saw something LA didn’t cause he was a 3rd pair guy in LA, and Philly played him top 4 minutes right off the bat and he’s done well with that oppurtunity.

Its kinda funny how many "throw in/cap dump/casualties" have found success this season, guys like Walker, Granlund, Monahan and there's probably others I'm forgetting.

Are GMs that could use these guys too risk averse to get them for pretty much nothing or does no one see that they're useful in the right role/situation? I get there's cap implications BUT Idk, just seems like some of these guys are too scared to do anything even when if it didn't work out its not gonna cause major issues for them anyway.
Feb. 4 at 2:26 p.m.
Its kinda funny how many "throw in/cap dump/casualties" have found success this season, guys like Walker, Granlund, Monahan and there's probably others I'm forgetting.

Are GMs that could use these guys too risk averse to get them for pretty much nothing or does no one see that they're useful in the right role/situation? I get there's cap implications BUT Idk, just seems like some of these guys are too scared to do anything even when if it didn't work out its not gonna cause major issues for them anyway.

Definitely seeing a lot of that this year. I would be weary of those types of players. Definately have to dig in and figure out why these players are finding strides they couldn’t elsewhere. For Monahan though he did recover from injury and was given gravy PP time and Top 6 time. It’s something the jets could also provide, so risk is lessened there. With Granlund I wonder if he’s being pumped and dumped… don’t know if he find similar oppurtunity on another team. I feel the sharks may have done this with EK65 too, nearly everything ran through him during the Norris year and it’s easy to focus on offence when you aren’t expected to win. Walker there’s a risk too, but IMO he can play based on watching him and based on Torts playing him on a team that’s actually competing
Feb. 4 at 2:41 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Definitely seeing a lot of that this year. I would be weary of those types of players. Definately have to dig in and figure out why these players are finding strides they couldn’t elsewhere. For Monahan though he did recover from injury and was given gravy PP time and Top 6 time. It’s something the jets could also provide, so risk is lessened there. With Granlund I wonder if he’s being pumped and dumped… don’t know if he find similar oppurtunity on another team. I feel the sharks may have done this with EK65 too, nearly everything ran through him during the Norris year and it’s easy to focus on offence when you aren’t expected to win. Walker there’s a risk too, but IMO he can play based on watching him and based on Torts playing him on a team that’s actually competing

And to me I wouldn't of been overly weary of these guys at all.

Monahans biggest concern for me would've been just staying healthy but at what he signed for its not that big of a deal if he couldn't of stayed healthy, fingers crossed 🤞 he doesn't get injured now that my team gave a 1st round pick for him.

Granlunds numbers are probably inflated a bit by being on a bad team but other then his stint in Pittsburgh he's been pretty consistentl throughout his career and people on here were calling him awful late last season when his Nashville numbers prior to the trade to Pittsburgh was a 50 point pace, like wouldn't Granlund been a better risk for the Avs then RyJo? Plus the Avs have some Finns there so there's that.

Even Walker like his AAV is pretty manageable, you'd think a GM who needed a dman would take a look at him, if Philly turns Walker into a 1st that'll be wild... lol 😆
SwarmChair liked this.
Feb. 4 at 2:48 p.m.
And to me I wouldn't of been overly weary of these guys at all.

Monahans biggest concern for me would've been just staying healthy but at what he signed for its not that big of a deal if he couldn't of stayed healthy, fingers crossed 🤞 he doesn't get injured now that my team gave a 1st round pick for him.

Granlunds numbers are probably inflated a bit by being on a bad team but other then his stint in Pittsburgh he's been pretty consistentl throughout his career and people on here were calling him awful late last season when his Nashville numbers prior to the trade to Pittsburgh was a 50 point pace, like wouldn't Granlund been a better risk for the Avs then RyJo? Plus the Avs have some Finns there so there's that.

Even Walker like his AAV is pretty manageable, you'd think a GM who needed a dman would take a look at him, if Philly turns Walker into a 1st that'll be wild... lol 😆

Yeh I think Monahan makes sense for the Jets. 22nd on the PP I thought I heard. Monahan can help there. And Eihle / Connor can do much of the skating for him through the neutral zone, so just need Monahan to be good in the slot, which he’s always shown to be.

Granlund I haven’t really watched outside some nice highlights this year. But you’re right there’s production history there to give you confidence.

If Philly gets a 1st for “throw in” Walker that kinda tracks with Blake’s recent history of horrific trades lol. I think it could happen.
Feb. 4 at 3:14 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Yeh I think Monahan makes sense for the Jets. 22nd on the PP I thought I heard. Monahan can help there. And Eihle / Connor can do much of the skating for him through the neutral zone, so just need Monahan to be good in the slot, which he’s always shown to be.

Granlund I haven’t really watched outside some nice highlights this year. But you’re right there’s production history there to give you confidence.

If Philly gets a 1st for “throw in” Walker that kinda tracks with Blake’s recent history of horrific trades lol. I think it could happen.

Yeah the Jets need help on the PP and faceoffs which is where Monahan can hopefully help. If Ehlers can do for Monahan what he did for Stastny and Copp in their final year in Wpg he might be able to find himself one more decent payday somewhere.

Rob Blake had one hell of an offseason, still blown away that the Kings were the team that retained on Provorov... 🤯
Feb. 4 at 3:25 p.m.
boltsfan71
tampa passes
Feb. 4 at 3:25 p.m.
Yeah the Jets need help on the PP and faceoffs which is where Monahan can hopefully help. If Ehlers can do for Monahan what he did for Stastny and Copp in their final year in Wpg he might be able to find himself one more decent payday somewhere.

Rob Blake had one hell of an offseason, still blown away that the Kings were the team that retained on Provorov... 🤯

Lol. And keep in mind Blake signed Petersen in the first place which lead to that. And don’t even get me started on the Durzi and PLD trades. The Oilers beat them in the playoffs twice and I feel he over corrected right into tanking his franchise. I have no doubt Durzi was shipped cause the Oilers continually bullied him in the playoffs, and I have no doubt PLD was brought in cause he saw what an Eichel type could do against McDavid (Kopi and Danault were not cutting it).
Feb. 4 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: boltsfan71
tampa passes

Why? Don’t you guys need help on the right side?
Feb. 4 at 3:37 p.m.
boltsfan71
Why? Don’t you guys need help on the right side?

yea but if they're using that last first they got for awhile it'll prob go towards someone who's not a rental
Feb. 4 at 4:06 p.m.
Quoting: boltsfan71
yea but if they're using that last first they got for awhile it'll prob go towards someone who's not a rental

Probably. But you don’t think they could trade and then extend Walker?
Feb. 4 at 4:07 p.m.
Tampa should decline unless it's a certainty that Walker is extending with them. Since Tampa certainly can't afford the reported range of a ~5 million aav on his next deal, it would be a pass. There are other RD that will either cost less now and on their next deal that Tampa can acquire for RD depth(Lyubushkin, Fabbro, Carrier, etc). If the '26 1st is coming into play, it should be for someone with term or a ufa that the team feels confident they can re-sign for at least several years to come.
SwarmChair liked this.
Feb. 4 at 6:05 p.m.
Quoting: JTBF81
Tampa should decline unless it's a certainty that Walker is extending with them. Since Tampa certainly can't afford the reported range of a ~5 million aav on his next deal, it would be a pass. There are other RD that will either cost less now and on their next deal that Tampa can acquire for RD depth(Lyubushkin, Fabbro, Carrier, etc). If the '26 1st is coming into play, it should be for someone with term or a ufa that the team feels confident they can re-sign for at least several years to come.

That makes sense. Hard to spend a 1st without term. Curious, where did you hear that range on his next deal being 5M AAV? I was just estimating in my head he’d be more a 3-4M extension due to his sparse history of success.
Feb. 4 at 6:39 p.m.
That makes sense. Hard to spend a 1st without term. Curious, where did you hear that range on his next deal being 5M AAV? I was just estimating in my head he’d be more a 3-4M extension due to his sparse history of success.

I thought I read somewhere he'd be looking for at least 4-5 million a year. I'll have to find the source. If it's closer to 3 or maybe 3.5ish, then Tampa would be more inclined. At an aav of 4, they might be able to make it work depending on what Stamkos is willing to take. If it's at all uncertain that Tampa could re-sign him though, I would hope they either just pass on the trade or at most offer a '25 2nd+prospect or maybe roster player for Walker retained as a probable rental.
SwarmChair liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll