Forums/Armchair-GM

Next Year Stars

Created by: mvp13
Team: 2024-25 Dallas Stars
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 15, 2024
Published: Feb. 22, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If you told me in the Summer that DAL should consider re-signing Duchene in the off season, I woulda laughed at you. But, he's been an insane revelation. Not only for his personal production, but for the production of Seguin and Marchment who are both under contract for a while. To me, this chemistry is key and the bigger reason why he needs to be re-signed.

I think 6mil should be a fair number for him. The term can be plus or minus a few years. I don't usually put a lot of thought into term; I really only consider short and long term.

Same can be said for Harley. Just like with Otter and Robo, they will be forced to do a bridge deal on Harley. 4mil is obviously undervalued, but I'm sure they will throw out some consistency excuses, etc. If they can get Jake for 4mil, I don't see why they'd have problems getting Harley for 4mil.

And it's really tough after that. In this team, I bought out Dadonov, which has a cost of 750k for 2 years. This is a risk because I'm relying on Bourque and Stankoven to work out. I also moved on from Pavelski and promoted Benn to "replace" him; they are somewhat similar players. Unless Pavelski will take quite the pay cut, I just think it's more important to keep Duchene.

I have Nils Lundkvist going to CGY in a deal for Tanev at this current year's TDL, and DAL re-signing Tanev. I also have DAL keeping Hakanpaa, because if it ain't broke don't fix it. Lindell - Jani has been a solid pair for a couple of years now, no reason to stray from it. They both shouldn't cost an incredible amount.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
1$775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$6,000,000
3$2,000,000
3$3,000,000
1$775,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Murray Or, Wedgewood
1$800,000
Smith Or, Dellandrea
1$800,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,500,000$90,085,408$2,595,407$401,250-$2,585,408

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$8,450,000$8,450,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,850,000$9,850,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, C
UFA
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$894,167$894,167
C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$318,750$319K)
C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$814,167$814,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Smith Or, Dellandrea
$800,000$800,000
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$775,000$775,000
LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
RFA
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$8,450,000$8,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA
Murray Or, Wedgewood
$800,000$800,000
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$787,500$787,500
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 22 at 10:26 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
- Don’t mind trading for Tanev at the deadline. But a 3-year deal for a soon-to-be 35 year old defenseman is almost exactly what the Stars did with Suter and it has been a glorious failure. Do not make the same mistake again

- I agree that, if it’s one or the other, Dallas should move on from Pavelski and keep Duchene — that being said, Benn is not Pavelski’s top line replacement, Johnston is. DeBoer has been shifting lines a bit over the last month and Johnston has been his go to 1RW with Hintz & Robertson. He’ll be the replacement for Joe.

- Keep Dellandrea & don’t sign Maroon. Maroon is fine for what he’s expected to do, but losing Dellandrea & his ability to play up and down the lineup, in any situation, would be a mistake. He’s going to be super affordable for Dallas as well.

- Agree that the Stars need a buyout this offseason in order to fit everything under the cap, but I don’t see Dadonov as the right player. The contract they need to buy out is Suter’s.

- HARD disagree that the Lindell-Hakanpää pair has been a “solid pair for a couple of years”. They are both solid on the PK, but as a defensive pairing they are among the slowest and worst puck-possession pairings in the league. If Dallas is keeping them (I’m hoping they don’t re-sign Hakanpää), they each need a defenseman playing with them that can effectively move the puck out of their own end.
C_M_O_R liked this.
Feb. 22 at 11:44 a.m.
New Star Rising
Quoting: TheMooterus
- Don’t mind trading for Tanev at the deadline. But a 3-year deal for a soon-to-be 35 year old defenseman is almost exactly what the Stars did with Suter and it has been a glorious failure. Do not make the same mistake again

- I agree that, if it’s one or the other, Dallas should move on from Pavelski and keep Duchene — that being said, Benn is not Pavelski’s top line replacement, Johnston is. DeBoer has been shifting lines a bit over the last month and Johnston has been his go to 1RW with Hintz & Robertson. He’ll be the replacement for Joe.

- Keep Dellandrea & don’t sign Maroon. Maroon is fine for what he’s expected to do, but losing Dellandrea & his ability to play up and down the lineup, in any situation, would be a mistake. He’s going to be super affordable for Dallas as well.

- Agree that the Stars need a buyout this offseason in order to fit everything under the cap, but I don’t see Dadonov as the right player. The contract they need to buy out is Suter’s.

- HARD disagree that the Lindell-Hakanpää pair has been a “solid pair for a couple of years”. They are both solid on the PK, but as a defensive pairing they are among the slowest and worst puck-possession pairings in the league. If Dallas is keeping them (I’m hoping they don’t re-sign Hakanpää), they each need a defenseman playing with them that can effectively move the puck out of their own end.

I agree with this to a degree. Dellandrea can be replaceable if the trade was warranted. I like the Harley-Miro pair, and I would like to see what Nils would look like with a better partner. Buying out Suter would be my choice as well. I question if Nils can put up 20:00 games, since he isn’t used like this. I think that Matheson out of MTL may be a good fit, but it would probably have a high cost.
Feb. 22 at 11:49 a.m.
Quoting: TheMooterus

Tanev: 2 years, 3 years, tomato tomato.

Benn: Something weird with CapFriendly edit feature this morning, I wrote another paragraph about shuffling 1st and 3rd lines around, noting Wyatt's time up there, but it didn't save. And you're right, it's likely best to do that way

4th line: I just feel like DAL is too small, especially on the 4th line. If we run into a team like MIN again in the playoffs and get run over, and risk Benn having to answer and cross the line and get suspended, etc. I feel like Smith could play up and down as well. Either way, some combo of the 3 works.

Dadonov: My issue is if you keep Dadonov, either him or one of the two kids has to play on the 4th line (or AHL). I guess this could be a good safety net in the event that Bourque or Stankoven aren't ready yet. Kind of why I'd like to see them get some games this year. But I chose Dadonov for lineup reasons. Suter still has plenty of value on the 3rd pair in lower minutes.

Lindel-Hakanpaa: Well, we gotta agree to disagree. But one can easily swap Hakanpaa and Tanev here and it works 5 on 5. But DeBoer has had plenty of opportunity to split them up and doesn't, so that's got to say something. Their paper and "advanced" stats will always read somewhat poorly because they get nearly every single D zone start vs the McDavids and Mackinnons in the league. DeBoer had plenty opportunities to run Lindel-Nils Harley-Hakanpa but hasn't for any relevant amount of time. So either he's a terrible coach or something is working...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll