SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Feb. 29 at 2:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 29 at 2:25 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Agree to disagree, bringing in a depth defenseman and thrusting him onto the top pair doesn't work. You kind of have to shake up the pairings we have if you want to address the blueline in a meaningful way. I don't care how bad Rielly - Brodie has been this year, I can assure you that Rielly - Lyubushkin would be way worse. TVR is a fine player, but he's making 3m for 3 years. I wouldn't hate it but he doesnt move the needle. Either get a 2LD with term and ride out this season or don't make a move at all.

I hate that we are acting like no other D-combinations would be good. Yes Benoit - McCabe has been good, but I feel like Rielly - McCabe and Hanifin/Pettersson - Liljegren would also dominate. Excuse me for not wanting Simon Benoit in our top 4 come playoff time lmfao.

The parameters the Leafs have set for themselves limit our TDL approach significantly. We want an impact defenseman but don't want to pay a premium unless they have term. We are keeping 3 goalies on the main roster. Jarnkrok is coming back soon so his LTIR assignment doesn't mean much. The only guys that make any sense at this stage are Hanifin or Pettersson IMO. If we can't get those guys, then why even bother spending?

As the saying goes if it works why change it?

We know Brodie-Liligren works and Benoit-McCabe has been pretty good

Why breakup two nice pairings just to try and give Rielly a partner

Instead go get him a partner via the TDL

At this point in time experimentation should be over. Its now time for the guys to build chemistry for the playoffs. We saw last year what can happen with to much turnover

In the end priority now should be right shot partner for Rielly and maybe one bottom 6 player to help with the PK

Then come playoffs

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
?-JT-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-?
Brodie-Liligren
Benoit-McCabe

Maybe Robertson's the ? on the third line but im starting to think they may be eyeballing a move for someone a bit more physical and who can contribute on the PK

Extra: Reaves, Gio

As to who well the obvious candidate's in DAL so could be time to think outside the box for potentially someone not even on the trade boards

Cause yea another LD to me is a no as after Cassidy's interview on the whole multiple one shot type Dman thats gonna be a disaster come playoffs
Feb. 29 at 2:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 29 at 3:04 p.m.
Man tonight's gonna be intereting and scary

Coyotes coming in with a 13 game losing streak

Have not lost in reg in TOR since Oct 17, 2002

Liligren out so we have an all Left shot Dcore and whats worse. Rielly-Brodie be paired together

Also if Pontus plays tonight hes gonna need waivers after
Feb. 29 at 2:35 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
As the saying goes if it works why change it?

We know Brodie-Liligren works and Benoit-McCabe has been pretty good

Why breakup two nice pairings just to try and give Rielly a partner

Instead go get him a partner via the TDL

At this point in time experimentation should be over. Its now time for the guys to build chemistry for the playoffs. We saw last year what can happen with to much turnover

In the end priority now should be right shot partner for Rielly and maybe one bottom 6 player to help with the PK

Then come playoffs

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
?-JT-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-?
Brodie-Liligren
Benoit-McCabe

Maybe Robertson's the ? on the third line but im starting to think they may be eyeballing a move for someone a bit more physical and who can contribute on the PK

Extra: Reaves, Gio

As to who well the obvious candidate's in DAL so could be time to think outside the box for potentially someone not even on the trade boards

Cause yea another LD to me is a no as after Cassidy's interview on the whole multiple one shot type Dman thats gonna be a disaster come playoffs

Agree to disagree, the TDL approach shouldn't be getting Mo a partner, it should be getting the best defenseman we can. Rielly - McCabe would be more than serviceable, and one of Pettersson or Hanifin next to Liljegren would be very solid. Try and find me a defenseman who meets this criteria:

- RD
- Has term
- Plays for a team that is selling
- Makes 4.9m or less
- Will be an upgrade over our current options

There is no one. IDC if we get another LD, just get a good defenseman. You can't convince me that adding Hanifin wouldn't be a smart move and that a terrible player like Boosh is the answer. The market this season is going to be a bloodbath and I could genuinely see a TDL where the Leafs just don't make any trades
Feb. 29 at 2:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Agree to disagree, the TDL approach shouldn't be getting Mo a partner, it should be getting the best defenseman we can. Rielly - McCabe would be more than serviceable, and one of Pettersson or Hanifin next to Liljegren would be very solid. Try and find me a defenseman who meets this criteria:

- RD
- Has term
- Plays for a team that is selling
- Makes 4.9m or less
- Will be an upgrade over our current options

There is no one. IDC if we get another LD, just get a good defenseman. You can't convince me that adding Hanifin wouldn't be a smart move and that a terrible player like Boosh is the answer. The market this season is going to be a bloodbath and I could genuinely see a TDL where the Leafs just don't make any trades

Honestly if they went a spend a 3rd on Fabbro I would not mind that at all to be Rielly's partner

Rielly-Fabbro
Brodie-Liligren
Benoit-McCabe

Fabbro is an RFA and thanks to NSH forgetting they had a bunch of good Dman hes been a HS 13 times. Should trade him to give him a chance to play full time

Then in the summer they can go get that true big upgrade like Roy, Demelo, Pesce, etc. For now just go get that temporary or first Dman to start to process of fixing
Feb. 29 at 2:51 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Honestly if they went a spend a 3rd on Fabbro I would not mind that at all to be Rielly's partner

Rielly-Fabbro
Brodie-Liligren
Benoit-McCabe

Fabbro is an RFA and thanks to NSH forgetting they had a bunch of good Dman hes been a HS 13 times. Should trade him to give him a chance to play full time

Then in the summer they can go get that true big upgrade like Roy, Demelo, Pesce, etc

That we can agree on, but I'd only pursue it if we strike out on the more impactful guys. I know there is nothing suggesting Marcus Pettersson is available (and I could certainly see the Pens keeping him), but he is the PERFECT addition for the Leafs
Feb. 29 at 2:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
That we can agree on, but I'd only pursue it if we strike out on the more impactful guys. I know there is nothing suggesting Marcus Pettersson is available (and I could certainly see the Pens keeping him), but he is the PERFECT addition for the Leafs

Would rather not go with an all (or 5 of 6) left shot/ LD system. While adding someone like Hanifin or Petterson would be nice an all left system is a system opposing coaches can take advantage of.

After the VGK game Bruce Cassidy said there can be opportunities to exploit a defender playing the opposite side.

“Sometimes if you can take a good angle, you can limit where they go with the puck or force a quicker play,” he said, adding that teams also need to be wary of one-timers from an off-side blueliner.

And after watching that game the results were seen first hand. -4 Rielly and Brodie, Dcore got taken advantage of at times, and it never just felt right.

Against FLA or BOS they could take full advantage and it could get ugly for us. As sure Brodie can play the right but he was having problems through the season this year then when he was moved to the left due to Rielly's suspension it was much better.

Whole article on the whole on and offside play

https://rdnewsnow.com/2024/02/28/nhl-defencemen-talk-benefits-drawbacks-of-playing-their-off-side/

For now would rather just have McCabe on his offside for the third pair (for this year) and find another right shot RD so its just not Liligren lul

As to who idk. Will probs need to be an outside the box move
Feb. 29 at 4:30 p.m.
Agree to disagree, bringing in a depth defenseman and thrusting him onto the top pair doesn't work. You kind of have to shake up the pairings we have if you want to address the blueline in a meaningful way. I don't care how bad Rielly - Brodie has been this year, I can assure you that Rielly - Lyubushkin would be way worse. TVR is a fine player, but he's making 3m for 3 years. I wouldn't hate it but he doesnt move the needle. Either get a 2LD with term and ride out this season or don't make a move at all.

I hate that we are acting like no other D-combinations would be good. Yes Benoit - McCabe has been good, but I feel like Rielly - McCabe and Hanifin/Pettersson - Liljegren would also dominate. Excuse me for not wanting Simon Benoit in our top 4 come playoff time lmfao.

The parameters the Leafs have set for themselves limit our TDL approach significantly. We want an impact defenseman but don't want to pay a premium unless they have term. We are keeping 3 goalies on the main roster. Jarnkrok is coming back soon so his LTIR assignment doesn't mean much. The only guys that make any sense at this stage are Hanifin or Pettersson IMO. If we can't get those guys, then why even bother spending?

I mean we've seen Rielly-Boosh, and at worst it was fine.
Saskleaf and aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 29 at 5:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I mean we've seen Rielly-Boosh, and at worst it was fine.

Yep, would it be ideal no but hey if its a 4th why not

But there be familiarity and u can keep the other pairs that were working together

Plus got to think Brad would try to get more than just him from ANA. Vatrano would be a nice Bertuzzi replacement come next season. Heck Adam Henrique would be good B6 forward depth
Feb. 29 at 5:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1763326746726994314?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

That quote + this bottom tweet be golden

https://twitter.com/PuckFilms/status/1763012609068913044
Feb. 29 at 5:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Think we can all agree Jarnkrok aint coming back till after the TDL right?

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1763305695900729404?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Unless its **** it waive Gregor to make the space to bring him back
Feb. 29 at 6:16 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Think we can all agree Jarnkrok aint coming back till after the TDL right?

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1763305695900729404?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Unless its **** it waive Gregor to make the space to bring him back

Still need room to activate him, he won't be out until the playoffs
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 29 at 6:18 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Boqvist is a offensive Dman. If we need that we got Timmins

Andersson has some defensive flaws but is a good PKer and in the past has put up better defensive numbers

Thats the guy to target

Boqvist is a worse Lilly, which the Leafs need rn...
Feb. 29 at 6:24 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Another guy the Leafs can target is TVR... Would work with Rielly and should be cheap...

Rielly-TVR
Benoit-McCabe
Brodie-Lilly
Feb. 29 at 6:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 29 at 6:31 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Boqvist is a worse Lilly, which the Leafs need rn...

Boqvist and Liligren are no where near the same

Liligren is a 2-way Dman, Boqvist is straight an offensive minded Dman

Last thing we need is him as we got that in Timmins whose already looking to be on his way out

FXA6MQzWAAIqoRv?format=jpg&name=large

FWRP0XtWAAEBT14?format=jpg&name=large
Feb. 29 at 6:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Still need room to activate him, he won't be out until the playoffs

Waive Gregor and trade Jones thats the guess.

Then spend a 7th to go get some goalie to be the #3 (who passed through waivers) come playoffs or activate Murray
Feb. 29 at 6:33 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Boqvist and Liligren are no where near the same

Liligren is a 2-way Dman, Boqvist is straight an offensive minded Dman

Last thing we need is him as we got that in Timmins whose already looking to be on his way out

FXA6MQzWAAIqoRv?format=jpg&name=large

FWRP0XtWAAEBT14?format=jpg&name=large

One of them is also playing in Columbus...
Feb. 29 at 6:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 29 at 6:46 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
One of them is also playing in Columbus...

Thats pretty lame excuse at this point his results on his former team were no better. For some guys can understand but for Boqvist no

E7BG29JWQAIEd9i?format=jpg&name=900x900

Boqvist is an offensive minded Dman I dont know how I can explain that more clearly

Hes basically Connor Timmins but more expensive. 0 need for that as neither is good defensively and neither is what this team needs rn

Only CBJ Dman of interest would be Jireck but thats never happening
Feb. 29 at 7:10 p.m.
Sadness
WHY ARE BRODIE AND RIELLY TOGETHER AGAIN???

Did we not learn our lesson last game..?
Feb. 29 at 7:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CameronSquires
WHY ARE BRODIE AND RIELLY TOGETHER AGAIN???

Did we not learn our lesson last game..?

Keefe said basically hes got no choice and hes not wrong

Brad needs to go get him someone to pair with Rielly. Quote below highlights it

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1763326746726994314?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

That quote + this bottom tweet be golden

https://twitter.com/PuckFilms/status/1763012609068913044
CameronSquires liked this.
Feb. 29 at 7:14 p.m.
Sadness
Keefe said basically hes got no choice and hes not wrong

Brad needs to go get him someone to pair with Rielly. Quote below highlights it

Fair enough, just ew nonetheless
Feb. 29 at 7:25 p.m.
Sadness
oh no gio...