SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Mar. 7 at 8:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If TOR and BOS meet this playoffs its gonna be a violent series thats all im gonna say
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Mar. 7 at 8:55 p.m.
average joe
Quoting: fangm
The bruins will destroy us in the first round.

game 1, Leafs dress Reaves. ref call it tight and Reaves takes 3 penalties.
game 2 Leafs leave Reaves out and refs let them play. Marner and Domi get injured in rough game.
Mar. 7 at 8:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Messier99
game 1, Leafs dress Reaves. ref call it tight and Reaves takes 3 penalties.
game 2 Leafs leave Reaves out and refs let them play. Marner and Domi get injured in rough game.

I feel game it would be on both sides there would be injuries especially when the latest guy joins TOR
Mar. 7 at 8:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
This is why I dont want Nylander full time Pking

Hes struggling tonight and then this ****
Mar. 7 at 9:00 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
If TOR and BOS meet this playoffs its gonna be a violent series thats all im gonna say

The problem is what I think Dubas figured out which is that you can surround your stars with as much toughness as you want but if the core is weak you won't win.

The Core 4 will each play 20mins+ a night maybe even 25+ for Matthews/Marner/Nylander in the playoffs. Those minutes will be physically dominated by Boston.

Even if every other player was super tough you are still using your skills vs strength losing strategy for at least 40% of each game.
oneX liked this.
Mar. 7 at 9:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
The problem is what I think Dubas figured out which is that you can surround your stars with as much toughness as you want but if the core is weak you won't win.

The Core 4 will each play 20mins+ a night maybe even 25+ for Matthews/Marner/Nylander in the playoffs. Those minutes will be physically dominated by Boston.

Even if every other player was super tough you are still using your skills vs strength losing strategy for at least 40% of each game.

U forget the last two times we faced BOS was under Babcock who did 0 adjustments
Mar. 7 at 9:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
This is why I didnt want Woll starting vs. BOS as I had a feeling he would fold again

Sammy was the only one who looked good in the meetings
Mar. 7 at 9:03 p.m.
Amirov Forever
So Duclair is heading to Tampa, which is a loss that would've really upset me prior to this game because it is now abundantly clear we need guys who can PK
Mar. 7 at 9:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 7 at 10:02 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
So Duclair is heading to Tampa, which is a loss that would've really upset me prior to this game because it is now abundantly clear we need guys who can PK

Tyler Toffoli, Reilly Smith, Pavel Buchnevich, Mikael Granlund, Nick Dowd, Jake Evans

All are 2-way PK forwards who can keep Willy from being 2nd unit. Like seriously this is where u look at Keefe and go WHY

Matthews is better defensively but no use Willy....
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Mar. 7 at 9:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Its Sammy's net from now on nuff said

Woll's just not been good and I know its BOS but 2 softies just no
Mar. 7 at 9:21 p.m.

This and starting on time.

Remember when they were on that 7 game winning streak? They didn't play Boston or Florida during that streak.

I get it..they beat Colorado and Vegas but guess what? If you can't beat the big boys in your own division, the rest doesn't matter. Tonight they have mostly been around the perimeter and not really getting to the net.
Still a flawed roster even with the trades so far and a coach who can't get this team to play with consistency.
Mar. 7 at 9:22 p.m.
So according to both CJ and Bob McKenzie, Leafs are likely done on D and probably looking at a 4th line upgrade…

Just f*cking fantastic
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Mar. 7 at 9:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
This and starting on time.

Remember when they were on that 7 game winning streak? They didn't play Boston or Florida during that streak.

I get it..they beat Colorado and Vegas but guess what? If you can't beat the big boys in your own division, the rest doesn't matter. Tonight they have mostly been around the perimeter and not really getting to the net.
Still a flawed roster even with the trades so far and a coach who can't get this team to play with consistency.

No but they played some other strong teams

STL x 2 , VGK, AVS, PHI those aint no pushovers.

I argue this time they did start it was more so wtf u doing McCabe there. I get its BOS and I know refs messing up the penalty didnt help but still

Afterwards before end of 2nd I thought it was better well besides the Willy and Marner plays and Woll not stopping a beachball. Bertuzzi jumped to life and we almost tied it

Tonight I will say its the second half of a b2b, illness is through the locker room but the Leafs tonight did not do themselves any favors.
oneX liked this.
Mar. 7 at 9:47 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
No but they played some other strong teams

STL x 2 , VGK, AVS, PHI those aint no pushovers.

I argue this time they did start it was more so wtf u doing McCabe there. I get its BOS but still. Refs messing up the penalty didnt help but still

Afterwards before end of 2nd I thought it was better well besides the Willy and Marner plays and Woll not stopping a beachball

Tonight I will say its the second half of a b2b, illness is through the locker room but the Leafs tonight did not do themselves any favors.

Fair points, all of them. I will just say that the Leafs will not be playing any of those teams in the 1st round. It's going to be one of Boston, Florida or Tampa and it's going to be a rough series for this team.

They just really haven't done well against these teams.
Mar. 7 at 9:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
Fair points, all of them. I will just say that the Leafs will not be playing any of those teams in the 1st round. It's going to be one of Boston, Florida or Tampa and it's going to be a rough series for this team.

They just really haven't done well against these teams.

In general as long as they play serious and dont get cute with the puck like we saw out of Willy and Marner they fine.

No more Gregor guy can **** off and u can see the impact Holmberg has on the 4th line. As wow when he there they useable and Kampf looks good. When hes not there its just there to skate

The big concern to me is the PK. The Dman additions help but they need another forward back there. As u cannot have Willy on the second unit its just to risky. You make a breakaway change yes he can work as he will probs help for a shorty but in your own zone no no no

But in the end what I have learned is regular season matchups mean jack all for playoffs. We have seen the Leafs win season series against teams and lose and or vice versa. MTL, CBJ, BOS (second time) and its fair as Playoff hockey is different. Less penalties more violence
Mar. 7 at 9:53 p.m.
Amirov Forever
https://x.com/BUHockeyStats/status/1765930252927168941?s=20

Cade Webber sets a new record with 114 blocks in a season, the most since the NCAA started tracking blocks in 2012-13
Mar. 7 at 9:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
FzvKLlxWwAAO-a2.jpg:large

Leafs have 2.7m

If they can get Pitt to ret 50% its 2.5m for 1.5 seasons
Mar. 7 at 9:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://x.com/BUHockeyStats/status/1765930252927168941?s=20

Cade Webber sets a new record with 114 blocks in a season, the most since the NCAA started tracking blocks in 2012-13

Gonna be interesting to see him with the Marlies
Mar. 7 at 10:00 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Boys, I am terrified of the Bruins and the idea of facing them round 1 will keep me up at night
Mar. 7 at 10:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Boys, I am terrified of the Bruins and the idea of facing them round 1 will keep me up at night

As long as Woll aint in net and Willy and Marner dont get cute with the puck they fine

But at the same time the big boyz need to wake up and bring it. Matthews no show again tonight is a bit concerning. I know its a b2b but got to at least make an effort. Your a big boy lay the body out lul.

We have seen what you and Marner can do when mad
Mar. 7 at 10:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Were in MTL Saturday and they have a PK forward who could look nice on the 4th line
Mar. 7 at 10:15 p.m.
Amirov Forever
BTW if its not already abundantly clear, Liljegren is definitely getting traded for a bigger name. Maybe a Buchnevich or a M. Pettersson. The focus on adding "playoff style RD" combined with Keefe's track record for not trusting Lili in the post season makes this seem super likely. Plus, he is due for a play raise this offseason that Im not sure we can afford. Id be alright with Lili for Buch retained or someone of similar value, but anything else seems iffy.

The game he just played will probably seal this decision. Should have lots of value, and wont be trusted in the playoffs
Mar. 7 at 10:16 p.m.

I’ve pretty much just accepted the fact that we’re going nowhere this year… low expectations are the key to happiness
Mar. 7 at 10:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Yea of all the PK players available gimmie Reilly Smith to move Jarnkrok to the 4th line
Mar. 7 at 10:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
The game he just played will probably seal this decision. Should have lots of value, and wont be trusted in the playoffs

Idk if the value will be there so to speak like for sure wont be Sandin value

Also I think hes moved this draft if they decide bye.

It sucks but at the same time hes done it to himself. He has shown flashes but nothing concrete enough for the coaching staff or org to go this is the guy

Injuries have been prevalent so best to hold on

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll