SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Mar. 18 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I find with these guys its a you never know as prospects can all of a sudden go hey check this out

Like Matthew Poitras (same draft year a few spots lower) came out of no where. Minten had a good camp last year and it did earn him a spot granted for a short time but it did help a bit and through watching him his game is only continuing to grow more and more. So its a wait and see but would not surprise me if he possibly forces the issue in a year or two as nothing wrong with integrating some ELC's into the roster.

Sure...of course there's examples of guys working out. I'm just saying a competent GM trying to ice a cup contender doesn't make Fraser Minten your Plan A at 2C. I can see them trying to squeeze whatever Tavares has left in the tank for one more year as the 2C and focusing on the blue line this offseason (and, realistically, that's what they should be doing)...but if they could land a guy on a reasonable deal that can plug the 2C whole ahead of time, all the better.
Mar. 18 at 4:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
Sure...of course there's examples of guys working out. I'm just saying a competent GM trying to ice a cup contender doesn't make Fraser Minten your Plan A at 2C. I can see them trying to squeeze whatever Tavares has left in the tank for one more year as the 2C and focusing on the blue line this offseason (and, realistically, that's what they should be doing)...but if they could land a guy on a reasonable deal that can plug the 2C whole ahead of time, all the better.

Of course not nobody would do that unless Minten really showed something interesting like Cirelli or Poitras did or if Leafs were extremely tight against the cap

Never should be plan A but also should try not to commit to someone longterm at 2c if he can become an option (unless its Draisaitl)

Maybe u try for a 1 year deal with someone but yea got to keep all options open rather than commit to someone else for years and not giving the prospects a chance

But rn its a wait and see but I am liking what I have seen out of Minten.
Mar. 18 at 4:58 p.m.
Of course not nobody would do that unless Minten really showed something interesting like Cirelli or Poitras did or if Leafs were extremely tight against the cap

Never should be plan A but also should try not to commit to someone longterm at 2c if he can become an option (unless its Draisaitl)

Maybe u try for a 1 year deal with someone but yea got to keep all options open rather than commit to someone else for years and not giving the prospects a chance

But rn its a wait and see but I am liking what I have seen out of Minten.

I just think that's a backwards way of looking at it. If there's a guy available now that you're comfortable with for 3-4 years...you don't NOT sign him because you want to keep the spot open for a 50-50 prospect. If Minten actually pans out...then great...now you have a middle 6 C on an entry level deal.

Same would apply for Cowan...or Niemala....until they show you that they're ready to take a roster spot...you don't intentionally leave a hole in the roster waiting for them to hopefully fill it one day.

Like if they could somehow sign Chandler Stephenson to a good contract...you don't decline that.

THis is completely separate from the argument about how much cap you have to spend, what prices will be and how is best to allocate it....or whether you like any of the UFA centres or their likely prices...just philosophically...you improve the team the best you can and if a young kid emerges...that's bonus and you figure out how to alter the roster later.
Mar. 18 at 5:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 18 at 6:19 p.m.
I just think that's a backwards way of looking at it. If there's a guy available now that you're comfortable with for 3-4 years...you don't NOT sign him because you want to keep the spot open for a 50-50 prospect. If Minten actually pans out...then great...now you have a middle 6 C on an entry level deal.

Same would apply for Cowan...or Niemala....until they show you that they're ready to take a roster spot...you don't intentionally leave a hole in the roster waiting for them to hopefully fill it one day.

Like if they could somehow sign Chandler Stephenson to a good contract...you don't decline that.

THis is completely separate from the argument about how much cap you have to spend, what prices will be and how is best to allocate it....or whether you like any of the UFA centres or their likely prices...just philosophically...you improve the team the best you can and if a young kid emerges...that's bonus and you figure out how to alter the roster later.

Its not really backwards when u consider many of the options are in their mid to late 30's or are at most 3c's for 2024 and 2025

Stephenson to me is to much of a gamble and we saw VGK basically just trade for his replacement rather than decide to extend him. Seems a bit odd. To me hes gonna get a deal teams will regret

He was great at 2.75m but considering how meh the C market is someone is gonna be stupid and overpay for him and say here is 6m

Rn the prospects are starting to make noise and it never hurts to leave a spot up for grabs. Its basically what BOS did and it kind of worked. As in the end its always good to keep all options open

Now if you can somehow convince Drai to leave EDM or a good candidate becomes available for trade **** all that lets go lul
Mar. 18 at 10:00 p.m.
Its not really backwards when u consider many of the options are in their mid to late 30's or are at most 3c's for 2024 and 2025

Stephenson to me is to much of a gamble and we saw VGK basically just trade for his replacement rather than decide to extend him. Seems a bit odd. To me hes gonna get a deal teams will regret

He was great at 2.75m but considering how meh the C market is someone is gonna be stupid and overpay for him and say here is 6m

Rn the prospects are starting to make noise and it never hurts to leave a spot up for grabs. Its basically what BOS did and it kind of worked. As in the end its always good to keep all options open

Now if you can somehow convince Drai to leave EDM or a good candidate becomes available for trade **** all that lets go lul

remember when I specifically said: THis is completely separate from the argument about how much cap you have to spend, what prices will be and how is best to allocate it....or whether you like any of the UFA centres or their likely prices ??

The philosphy of a contending team not signing a UFA that fills a void in your roster because you want to hold that spot open for a prospect that might be able to fill that role in 3+ years is backwards.
Mar. 18 at 10:13 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I know we are a long way from the offseason, but with the sheer amount of cap space we have to the plethora of young talent ready to contribute, we could have an absolute field day on the Free Agent market. Roy, Pesce, Walker, hell even Montour could all be had with ease.
Mar. 18 at 10:38 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
You have 9 guys in the analytics department... Tell one or more of them to watch the game analytically and help Keefe via analytics, it's simple

Guess who's the special teams coach and is taking the flack for the lack of adjustments? Boucher

I think having multiple lines being all lefties hurts as well

In the top 9, you have: Matthews (Lefty), Nylander (Righty), Bert (Lefty), JT (Lefty), Domi (Lefty), Knies (Lefty), Holmberg (Lefty), Robertson (Lefty) and McMann (Lefty) filling when needed

8 lefties to 1 righty is an issue and why Jarnkrok playing with Matthews and Bert worked so well with the other lines...

Not fair to judge Boucher.

One of the first things Boucher said in training camp was that he wanted to run two units and play a low PP. Keefe publically contradicted both of these and the Leafs are currently doing neither.

Look at Carbery he's playing a completely different system in Washington and it's working incredibly.
Mar. 18 at 10:41 p.m.
Ironically...Babcock's issues...from what I remember our complaints mostly being...was that he wasn't playing Matthews/Marner enough (he always deferred to the high-effort grinders)....now we're complaining that Keefe's only answer seems to be turning to those players ...basically we just like complaining whenever we don't win and we all make up solutions to problems that may not have anything to do with it

Babcocks issues were off ice. On ice he was a great coach. Matthews had issues with his ice time. I didn't I don't think many fans did. Dubas made it a bit of an issue but it shouldn't have been.
Mar. 18 at 10:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 18 at 11:04 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I know we are a long way from the offseason, but with the sheer amount of cap space we have to the plethora of young talent ready to contribute, we could have an absolute field day on the Free Agent market. Roy, Pesce, Walker, hell even Montour could all be had with ease.

Gimmie Roy and Demelo this summer and im a happy camper

Pesce and Walker scare me as one has been inconsistent and the other just feels like a third pair on a contending ream

Demelo has played with offensive Dman for the majority of his career on the top unit and seems perfect for Rielly

Roy meanwhile has been on LA's 2nd pair and has been a solid 2-way Dman who should mesh well with McCabe and allow him to go back to the left side

Both these guys would help with the PK and are guys who I think would work well with their partners

If its to expensive to get both gimmie Roy at 6m then go extend Lybushkin on a Miller deal
Mar. 18 at 10:57 p.m.
Quoting: fangm
Babcocks issues were off ice. On ice he was a great coach. Matthews had issues with his ice time. I didn't I don't think many fans did. Dubas made it a bit of an issue but it shouldn't have been.

well yes...he definitely had off ice issues for sure....but we weren't really aware of that until the very end.....fans were pissed when we'd lose and Matthews had 13min of ice time...and marner was playing 4th line with matt martin and leo komarov
Mar. 18 at 11:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

There were on the ice to. From ANA to DET and even in TOR we heard of his ice problems

In TOR vs. BOS II, 0 adjustment in any of the games despite the JT line getting royally ****ed

Put a 1 legged Hyman out more over Matthews in game 7
Mar. 18 at 11:13 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Matthew Knies is on pace for 15 goals 34 points basically playing with Matthews and Marner all year.

How many rookies you want in the lineup next year?
Mar. 18 at 11:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Matthew Knies is on pace for 15 goals 34 points basically playing with Matthews and Marner all year.

Considering Knies was in college last season that aint bad for a 21 year old in his first full NHL season. Look at Hyman his first full season in TOR and look now

Going back, Leafs can bring in two nice Dman and still have room for a forward or two but it means a 1.5m backup goalie

Robertson and Knies have graduated and if we want to count them

Holmberg has turned into a nice little swiss army knife with trade/UFA newcomers Dewar and Benoit also making an impression

Realistically u wont need any new rookie in the lineup next year besides Rafai whose waiver exempt so its basically want to lose or use as the 7th

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-JT-Nylander
New LW (Foegele maybe)-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Dewar-McMann

Rielly-Demelo
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liligren

Woll
Stolarz/Brossoit/Nedeljkovic/etc

Extra: Reaves, Rafai
Mar. 18 at 11:50 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Not so much "rookies" per say, just young players who deserve more ice time. Holmberg deserves a much bigger opportunity (he seems like the logical fit next to AM34 and Marner IMO), Robertson needs to be given a real look (assuming we dont trade him🤞) , and Steeves could easily step into the lineup next season. Rifai looked NHL ready in his few opportunities, and Dewar has looked great. All of those guys are super cheap and are only in need for a bigger role.

Allocate our funds to the blue line and let the young guys get their chances.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Mar. 19 at 12:03 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Not so much "rookies" per say, just young players who deserve more ice time. Holmberg deserves a much bigger opportunity (he seems like the logical fit next to AM34 and Marner IMO), Robertson needs to be given a real look (assuming we dont trade him🤞) , and Steeves could easily step into the lineup next season. Rifai looked NHL ready in his few opportunities, and Dewar has looked great. All of those guys are super cheap and are only in need for a bigger role.

Yep. Holmberg has basically given be VGK's Howden vibes. Little swiss army knife who works hard and plays anywhere needed

Rafai can be the #7 and Dewar is a nice 4c option for 2024-2025

Like if they dont trade Robertson only position of need is a 3rd line LW and this FA has some options
Mar. 19 at 12:05 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Yep. Holmberg has basically given be VGK's Howden vibes. Little swiss army knife who works hard and plays anywhere needed

Rafai can be the #7 and Dewar is a nice 4c option for 2024-2025

Like if they dont trade Robertson only position of need is a 3rd line LW and this FA has some options

I wholeheartedly believe Steeves could step into that 3LW slot and do well
Mar. 19 at 12:07 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
I wholeheartedly believe Steeves could step into that 3LW slot and do well

I would be a bit hesistant as then its

Knies at 1LW, Robertson 2LW, Steeves 3LW, Holmberg 4LW which feels a bit weak

Would rather just bring someone in who could mesh well with Kampf and Jarnkrok. Foegele would be nice

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-JT-Nylander
Foegele-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Dewar-McMann

Rather have him be like an emergency call up guy as were bound for injuries
Mar. 19 at 12:16 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

So use next year as a development year? Might be trending that way anyways
Mar. 19 at 12:19 a.m.
Amirov Forever
So use next year as a development year? Might be trending that way anyways

Looks like it IMO. Gotta think thats why there were so many 1 year deals last offseason

Not the most exciting outcome but I am a huge fan of our younger players
Mar. 19 at 12:25 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Looks like it IMO. Gotta think thats why there were so many 1 year deals last offseason

Not the most exciting outcome but I am a huge fan of our younger players

It’s going to be interesting to see what they do with Cowan. Can he learn more in the OHL or do they throw him into the deep end at the NHL level.

I don’t personally like where the Leafs are trending as a team but I do like some of the prospects that are coming: Grebyonkin, Tverberg, Cowan, Miller.

This year is kinda wasted and not much to look forward to next year other than the development of some young players
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mar. 19 at 12:35 a.m.
Amirov Forever
It’s going to be interesting to see what they do with Cowan. Can he learn more in the OHL or do they throw him into the deep end at the NHL level.

I don’t personally like where the Leafs are trending as a team but I do like some of the prospects that are coming: Grebyonkin, Tverberg, Cowan, Miller.

This year is kinda wasted and not much to look forward to next year other than the development of some young players

I know Cowan and Minten are both guys people like to throw into the lineup for next season, but I think a bit more development time for the two of them would be super helpful. I cannot wait to see Grebyonkin come over, he's been so much fun these last 2 seasons. Tverberg is also one of my personal favourites, and nice to see Joe Miller get some respect.

I myself am not expecting much to end this season off, this team is going to get trounced in the playoffs. Im looking forward to the draft and to see what goes down in Free Agency. Do they go all in on the blue line or do they take a more balanced approach and spend on forward + defense. Whose our backup going to be? I just want this season to be over, we all know how it ends
Mar. 19 at 12:40 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 19 at 12:49 a.m.
I know Cowan and Minten are both guys people like to throw into the lineup for next season, but I think a bit more development time for the two of them would be super helpful. I cannot wait to see Grebyonkin come over, he's been so much fun these last 2 seasons. Tverberg is also one of my personal favourites, and nice to see Joe Miller get some respect.

I myself am not expecting much to end this season off, this team is going to get trounced in the playoffs. Im looking forward to the draft and to see what goes down in Free Agency. Do they go all in on the blue line or do they take a more balanced approach and spend on forward + defense. Whose our backup going to be? I just want this season to be over, we all know how it ends

Cowen I doubt makes it mainly due to the fact hes not really needed. We got Marner, Nylander, and Jarnkrok top 9 RW. Mintens and Grebyonkin be the ?. They may very well make a statement out of camp again and force management's/ coaches hand like well they get a spot

If we can get almost a Poitras like thing out of them 0 issue here
Mar. 19 at 12:51 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

It’s the first year in a long time I have zero expectations for this team and as a fan that really sucks. Especially considering how elite some of the players on the team are.

I’m just so sick of how this team is built. It’s going to be another offseason of a massive roster overhaul, hoping Treliving picks the right mix.

Just fukc it and roll into a developmental year, play a ton of rookies and built some team chemistry
Mar. 19 at 1:00 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 19 at 1:06 a.m.
It’s the first year in a long time I have zero expectations for this team and as a fan that really sucks. Especially considering how elite some of the players on the team are.

I’m just so sick of how this team is built. It’s going to be another offseason of a massive roster overhaul, hoping Treliving picks the right mix.

Just fukc it and roll into a developmental year, play a ton of rookies and built some team chemistry

How is it gonna be a massive roster overhaul when there not a lot of spots need filling from UFA

When Robertson, Benoit, Dewar, Liligren etc are extended this is the team with its holes

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-JT-Nylander
?-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Dewar-McMann

Rielly-?
McCabe-?
Benoit-Liligren

Woll
?

That dont seem like a massive overhaul. And all these young guys have earned their respected spots. Its basically many of the Vacant spots have filled themselves

An offseason of

Foegele, Roy, Demelo, and Stolarz would be a nice piece of work by Brad
Mar. 19 at 7:57 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Not fair to judge Boucher.

One of the first things Boucher said in training camp was that he wanted to run two units and play a low PP. Keefe publically contradicted both of these and the Leafs are currently doing neither.

Look at Carbery he's playing a completely different system in Washington and it's working incredibly.

It is fair, it's Boucher's systems and it's Boucher drawing up the play when they are up/down by 1 or 2 goals to score/shutdown... And he's failed a bunch of times...

Not saying to fire him, but that's the output you're getting

And also TBF, Keefe's had a pairing of Maxim Lagoie and Micheal Riafali for multiple games this year, had Martin Jones-Dennis Hildeby as the tandem and has still done well

I would have said 16 goals and 34 points lol...
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll